ToxicCorpse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToxicCorpse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToxicCorpse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToxicCorpse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post your max box squat AND carry over/ competition squat

I've been training Westside for four months now in which time my below-parellel box squat has increased over 120 lbs. Training westside, I only perform straight-weight squats in competition or when testing out gear. My first competition is in September, and I would like to see what kind of carry-over people generally get from their box squat in order to get an understanding of where I am now.

RichM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how much below parallel is your competition box squat i've only dont box squats for football a lil bit and they were a lil above parallel
    100% ANIMAL

Registered User YouthInTraining's Avatar
    YouthInTraining has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read in a Westside article (probably by Dave Tate) that the carry over is the same. So if your box squat improved by 120lbs then your squat should have improved 120lbs.
    You are your own greatest enemy.

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by YouthInTraining
    I read in a Westside article (probably by Dave Tate) that the carry over is the same. So if your box squat improved by 120lbs then your squat should have improved 120lbs.
    In theory, yes, but everyone is different. If you have someone who had poor squat form before he tried box squats, it could potentially be more of a carryover.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

RichM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wtf do you mean by cary over? you talkin about the walk from the rack before you do your squat?
    100% ANIMAL

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by RichM
    wtf do you mean by cary over? you talkin about the walk from the rack before you do your squat?
    Read YouthInTraining's post.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

The Thread Hi-Jacker ;) SuperKid's Avatar
    SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by RichM
    No, I think they mean how much strength will be carried over to their comp squat from their box squat gains

The Thread Hi-Jacker ;) SuperKid's Avatar
    SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuperKid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd think they'd be the same too, cuz box squats are just squats till u touch a box, so they are the exact same lift and movement. Just that box squats assure you you're going low enough.

ToxicCorpse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToxicCorpse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToxicCorpse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ToxicCorpse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Incorrect, I've never talked to anyone with less than a 90lb carry-over from their box squat to their competition squat. The box eliminates all momentum and accentuates the stress put on your muscles once in the hole.

I encourage you to perform your max squat and after enough rest actually try a bellow-parellel box-squat. You will not even be able to get your ass an inch off the box.

And yes, by carry-over I am reffering to the difference in weight between your box squat and competition squat.

da_future has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i saw a guy at my old gym doin box squats usin a milk crate thing, onna them blue ones with the criss-cross patern, is that a good idea? i mean, ud think the box would break or sumpin

Registered User YouthInTraining's Avatar
    YouthInTraining has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lol! I thought I was the only one! I use a milk crate too. It's the lowest thing (11") I have that is in a box shape. That is why I use it. At first I was afraid it wouldn't last, but it seems to hold up quite well. I don't see it breaking any time soon. Then again I don't squat 400 or even 300 pounds. It does however seem to take 275 quite well (and for long periods of time - can someone say stuck lol). If you have a box that is just as low, I would use that of course. But, if you have a milk crate, and that is lower than any box you have, I would use it...like I already am.
    You are your own greatest enemy.

Tristram has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    box squats are not the same as squats. By sitting on the box you release your hip flexors

Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000) Marciano is just really nice. (+1000)
    I know this much, i started learning how to squat properly using box squats and safety squats, and then tried to do normal squats last week releasing my hips first, spreading the floor and all that, and couldn't lift ****, plus nearly fell backwards a couple of times. I hope this is normal.
    I'm like a ghost with a hammer in my hands.

Faster and Stronger. **** Bigger.

The consciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical activity.