hooper123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Nutrition for a basketball player

Hey, whats up fellas, I posted this thread in Nutrition already, but I didnt know whether it was better to post it in here or not.

I'm a 24 year old pro basketball player, and I have little knowledge about nutrition, what i should be eating and stuff, so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me.

I'm in pretty good shape, but I really want to play at a higher level and I think a good diet will help me improve my game.

I'm just looking for the basics really, what? when? & how much? I should be eating and drinking.
    Also any supplements, ergogenic aids I should be taking. I already take ON Optimum Whey Protein.

A regular day for me is like this:

8am - Get up
    9-11am - Practice
    1-3pm - Lift Weights (Lift 3 times a week)

I normally have the rest of the day free or I do some coaching or something. I sometimes have a second practice in the evening.

What should I eat on game day?

What about rest days? (We usually get Mondays off)

If any of you guys could help I'd really appreciate it. Let me know If I've posted this in the wrong section of the forum or w/e.

Peace

jco81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jco81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jco81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jco81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jco81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jco81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jco81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jco81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jco81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jco81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jco81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    its would be alot easier if you posted what you eat now, and then we could help you alter that if needed.

farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Have a good level of protein intake in your diet to keep your muscles well repaired.

Prior to games eat a high calorie meal about 2 hours before.

Day before, high amounts of carbo hydrates and for very important or big games in playoffs and what not, 3-4 days prior eat loads of carbo hydrates and don't workout 2-3 days before, only walking day before and 2-3 days before you can do some shots on the net, some plays, some light jogging and tons of stretching.

Eat a very healthy diet is all I can tell you and whey protein is very good to take fo a ball player too, after workouts (most intense session of the day).

Also make sure you're taking a multi vitamin (best one you can find).

Drink TONS of water and non fructose energy drinks days before, and especially day before and on game days.

Tons of liquids all throughout the day, every day rather.

Originally Posted by jco81 View Post
    its would be alot easier if you posted what you eat now, and then we could help you alter that if needed.
    I dont really have a set diet, but I suppose a typical day would be:

Breakfast - Cereal, Apple Juice
    After practice - Sandwich (Normally chicken)
    After lifting - Protein drink, another sandwich
    Dinner - Varies alot
    Evening - Snack, also varies

farzamk, thanks for the advice, appreciate that bro. So I should only take 1 protein drink a day?

Anybody else got any more advice?

I shouldt really of mentioned games, because its the off-season now. So I dont have games, so I'm working out 4/5 days a week. My bad.
    Last edited by hooper123; 05-24-2007 at 04:46 PM.

farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No problem, I love helping people with these kind of issues. Here's a little more info.

Now looking at your breakfast, there needs to be additions made. Cereal and Apple both fine in fact good.

However there needs to be more added. Now basketball players aren't bodybuilders so they don't need the same 4-5 whole eggs + another 10 egg whites or whatever, you require a good amount of protein suitable for your body weight and the amount of workouts you do.

So I reccomend making it 2 whole eggs plus maybe a optional egg white if nto 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites. Doing 2 or 3 workouts a day requires more protein, especially in the breakfast, so add 2 large eggs plus a regular egg white size to your cereal and apple juice. As well you may have a occasional small serving of oatmeal.

Make sure you add many things like some vegetables to your sandwhich and actually have 2 sandwhiches.

After lifting, immedietly drink the whey protein shake (1 scoop and a half) and then after about 5-10 minutes eat your sandwhich and make sure it contains nutrients.

Make sure you are eating plenty of fruits and vegetables as well.

Eat dinner at 6:30 P.M.

Take your multi vitamin (very important to take this daily) at any time during the day, but better to take it some time away from other supplements, just to make sure you get 100% of everything you want from it.

Your dinner must contain a good amount of protein by having chicken or fish or red meat. Many things like more vegetables and things like rice/paste are also key to eat as well.

Make sure any of the food you eat is home cooked and not frozen or powder type foods, only eat foods you buy and make yourself or whoever at the kitchen.

Your before bedtime snack is good to contain some cottage cheese and something that can make you "not hungry" before going to bed.

With your snack have a glass of milk plus a serving of casein protein powder. This type of protein is very slowly absorbed throughout the night and gives your muscles protein overnight.

So 2 shakes per day, one casein before bed, one whey after workout.

I also reccomend maybe adding some creatine only for the off season before your most intense workout because it allows for longer workouts and stronger muscles both during the workout and over time, as well increases muscle mass. Creatine monohydrate is best.

With your creatine, toss it in a carbo/energy drink before the workout.

Let me know if you need more help.

honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by hooper123 View Post
    I dont really have a set diet, but I suppose a typical day would be:

Breakfast - Cereal, Apple Juice
    After practice - Sandwich (Normally chicken)
    After lifting - Protein drink, another sandwich
    Dinner - Varies alot
    Evening - Snack, also varies

farzamk, thanks for the advice, appreciate that bro. So I should only take 1 protein drink a day?

Anybody else got any more advice?

I shouldt really of mentioned games, because its the off-season now. So I dont have games, so I'm working out 4/5 days a week. My bad.
    You might want to pick up "Power Eating" by Susan Kleiner. A lot of it is for gaining muscle for strength trainers and such, but there's some pretty good stuff in there.

Here's the website http://www.powereating.com/

BTW, where/what league are you playin ball in?

Good luck

I wouldn't reccomend gaining huge amounts of muscle, too much bulk WILL slow you down and decrease range of motion.

roman25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roman25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roman25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roman25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    really cut out on what kelly bagett says are the C's coke's cookies cakes really try to stick with this one which is common sense also really try to get your body fat down in between 5 and 10% you can check that many ways. Also i second that thing on carbs before games becasue those are used before fat during most high intensity sports events. That being said also watch out for eating carbs and then not exercising thats becaseu carbs get converted into fat first so be careful on your carbs on non training days

farzamk, thats once again for your help bro. Do you have a link to a good multi-vitamin I could get?

Thank you also honez and roman25

DottsBaller5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DottsBaller5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From NBA Power Conditioning Book for athletes:

60-65% carbs
    15-20% proteins
    20 to 25% fats

Breakfast-nutritional shake/smoothie w/ fruit or milk, whole grain cereal, or toast/bagel, and water

Midmorning-sandwich, yogurt, fruit, bagels, crackers, sports bar

Lunch-pasta, salad, chicken, potaters, sandwich, Chinese food

Midafternoon-more water

After workout-repeat either breakfast/midmorning, get some protein in

Dinner-same approach as lunch

Evening snack-cereal, yougurt, fruit

You need between 18-28 calories per pound of body weight. Make sure diet is well balanced.

above 20 calories is unrealistic and that diet doesn't nearly cover even 25 calories.

The diet above is fine, but just pointing out a mistake.

Hooper, any good quality multi vitamin will do, but you may want to check out animal pak to see what standards there are to a multi and then maybe 70% of what they offer is what you need for a ball player.