seadar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

can grown bones grow thicker and stronger?

i believe my bones have fully grown (im 17 years old and havn't grown since the end of 2004), i believe i wouldn't grow any taller. i have an extremely small bone frame (6 inch wrists)
    does weight training help me to make my bones bigger?(i know my bones are not gonna grow vertically, but can my bone frame grow bigger? )

Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You can increase bone mineral density through resistance training. You don't know if your bones are closed until you actually look at your epithelial plates (growth plates) and see if they are fused closed.
    B.S. Exercise Science , CSCS, CES

Bench 350
    Squat 510
    Hang Clean 310

Height 6'2
    Weight 238
    Position MLB
    40 time 4.85
    Vertical Jump 30 inches

DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by seadar View Post
    i believe my bones have fully grown (im 17 years old and havn't grown since the end of 2004), i believe i wouldn't grow any taller. i have an extremely small bone frame (6 inch wrists)
    does weight training help me to make my bones bigger?(i know my bones are not gonna grow vertically, but can my bone frame grow bigger? )
    yo, someone started a thread like this on the powerlifting forum. Some said you couldn't make them thicker, but another said you could. I know you can definantly change the density though.

pcercy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pcercy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Undermane View Post
    You can increase bone mineral density through resistance training. You don't know if your bones are closed until you actually look at your epithelial plates (growth plates) and see if they are fused closed.
    ???????????????

First, growth plates are called the epiphyseal plates. I guess I missed that day in school when they showed us where to check and see if the fused plates have closed. (???)

Growth is usually complete around your age. Strength training has been shown in medical studies to increase bone mass and decrease the risk of osteoporosis (a condition i which bone density is reduced, but it mostly effects older folks).
    http://www.newstarget.com/010528.html

But for you, just increase your muscle mass as much as you can, if your looking for that bigger appearance. And calcium is the preferred supplement for your bones and teeth, so just drink milk regularly
    Last edited by pcercy; 05-24-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo
    "I have the knowledge, now I need the discipline to put it in play" - me

"So live that you can look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell" - John D. Rockefeller, Jr. on personal success.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by pcercy View Post
    ???????????????

First, growth plates are called the epiphyseal plates. I guess I missed that day in school when they showed us where to check and see if the fused plates have closed. (???)

Growth is usually complete around your age. Strength training has been shown in medical studies to increase bone mass and decrease the risk of osteoporosis (a condition i which bone density is reduced, but it mostly effects older folks).

But for you, just increase your muscle mass as much as you can, if your looking for that bigger appearance. And calcium is the preferred supplement for your bones and teeth, so just drink milk regularly
    ya, calcium, exercise and putting pressure on your bones (walking, running, weightlifting) will make your bones stronger, increase its density and reduce the chance of osteoporosis. if you dont have a right diet, you body will eat away at the calcium in your bones, which in the long run, will cause problems like osteoporisis and major injuries.

MajorT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MajorT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MajorT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MajorT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MajorT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MajorT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MajorT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MajorT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MajorT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MajorT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MajorT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes you can add girth to your bones with resistance training. But, resistance training has been linked to early closure of epiphesial plates (growth plates). If you are only 17 dont give up hope so soon on growing taller. I gained height through the age of 22.

Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Undermane has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    "???????????????

But for you, just increase your muscle mass as much as you can, if your looking for that bigger appearance. And calcium is the preferred supplement for your bones and teeth, so just drink milk regularly"

Pcercy,
    My bad i didn't hit spell check before i posted the thread. I will make sure my spelling is perfect next time. Also, pcercy you added nothing to this thread. You repeated what i posted about the closure of EPIPYSEAL plates. The kid is 17 years old and i doubt he has to worry about osteoporosis unless he doesn't take in calcium, which is probably not a problem. His osteoblasts are prolly working just fine. If you even know what they are.
    B.S. Exercise Science , CSCS, CES

Bench 350
    Squat 510
    Hang Clean 310

Height 6'2
    Weight 238
    Position MLB
    40 time 4.85
    Vertical Jump 30 inches

Bringing back Neanderthal MSmith19's Avatar
    MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's not just the spelling, because epithelial cells are the cells that make up your outermost layer of skin and case glands and organs, providing internal transport and such, definitely not bone. You just got the words confused.

To the other guy: I don't the average person stops growing at 17 years old, more like 19-21.
    Last edited by MSmith19; 05-25-2007 at 07:20 PM.

roman25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roman25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roman25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) roman25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the simple anwer is yes and the best ways are yes walking, running, weight lifting. Some exercises that are sometimes mistaken for making bones stronger are swimming, and biking and it is becasue these do not deal with something like contact or pressure i know somebody can tell the exact reason why i'll look it up later but its realted to somethinalong those lines. Also you can tell if youve grown fully from plated from an x-ray i know the doc told me i was down growing when i was about to get knee surgery casue he wanted to make sure .

DottsBaller5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DottsBaller5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can't find a picture of it, but it was a old Nike ad that ran I think last summer or 2 summers ago in magazines. It had a picture of LeBron James in the air about to dunk being pulled by his trainer with a resistance band attatched around LBJs waist, and a little caption said that this increases bone density, hang time, and body control.

Also, drink ur milk, eat ur yogurt, cheese.......get ur calcium!