burnerofhells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

lift heavy, rest more or lift lighter with less rest?

Should I lift really heavy weight (obviously not so heavy that I cant keep good form) and give myself a lot more time (say, 3min) between sets so that I can still do the same number of reps the next set or should I lift a weight that still pushes me as hard but I don’t need to rest for so long between sets to still do the same number of reps as the set before?

I am lifting for size, which would be the best for me?

Also, is it ok to do, say, some bicep curls (completed all sets) then work on another muscle and later in the same workout do another couple of sets of bicep curls? If I am able to do this does it mean I should of lifter more on the first couple of sets?

I tried to do a search for several things but I can’t get the search to work for anything. Always get a stupid error.

Dj Ron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: lift heavy, rest more or lift lighter with less rest?

Originally posted by burnerofhells
    Should I lift really heavy weight (obviously not so heavy that I cant keep good form) and give myself a lot more time (say, 3min) between sets so that I can still do the same number of reps the next set or should I lift a weight that still pushes me as hard but I don’t need to rest for so long between sets to still do the same number of reps as the set before?

Also, is it ok to do, say, some bicep curls (completed all sets) then work on another muscle and later in the same workout do another couple of sets of bicep curls? If I am able to do this does it mean I should of lifter more on the first couple of sets?

I tried to do a search for several things but I can’t get the search to work for anything. Always get a stupid error.
    For your second question, I'd say don't do bicep curls or any excercise for that matter again later on in a workout if you did them earlier. Just do them all at once.

I haven't been lifting a long time but it seems I've gotten better growth with heavier weight and more rest vs a lighter weight and less rest. I think cardio wise it's good to do the second option, but if you want to maximize growth you should try the first route. My 2 cents.
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i would do both. try really heavy weight with a lot of rest for a few weeks then try lighter weight for more reps and less rest for a few weeks. variety is a core bodybuilding rule

Flying Knight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Variety? hmmm... only for complex muscle groups, to a certain degree. Weight is the core of weight training.

jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackthatsteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    since the biceps are not complex muscles he should do 4 sets of 10 with dumbbells every week forever. come on!!! if you don't see variety as a core bodybuilding principle (key word is "a" not "the") then your lost. the blind shouldn't lead the blind

done_12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This months Flex was talking about how to lift for size, and they said for strength training heavy weight with longer rests. Power Lifters like to use full potential for their lifts. They said it only take 45 seconds for your muscle to gain the blood back and be ready for the next set. Flex wrote that if you want mass its best to do more reps heavy weight and short rests.

Its a great article just have a peak on the newstand at borders if you don't feel like buying

Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The most important thing is to make microtrauma on your muscle - this is the stimulus of hypertrophy.

For that, you have to use a load that is higher that the mechanical resistance of your muscles. Anything below that will not make significant microtrauma - or will require a high amount of volume.

So the best load really depends on the resistance of your muscle - level oif conditionning -, more than on the rep range. Sometimes your 15RM is enough, sometimes it takes your 5RM. Check HST for more info.

Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000)

between sets so that I can still do the same number of reps the next set
    you should NEVER be able to get the same reps for 2 sets in a row......even if you rested 10 mins....most of the time my second set is TWO reps short of the first set

burnerofhells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: lift heavy, rest more or lift lighter with less rest?

Originally posted by Mikey1
    you should NEVER be able to get the same reps for 2 sets in a row......even if you rested 10 mins....most of the time my second set is TWO reps short of the first set
    Well the problem i have had was that if i do more heavy weights i am albe to do 8 reps but come the second set i can only do about 4 and i just dont think 4 reps is enough for anything.

But if i go to lower wights it is more like what you said but each set i can only do about 1 less than the one before.

I think im answering my own question.

What do you guys think about lifting some amount of weight for the first set and then the second set lifting a heavier weight and then for a third set lifting a still heavier weight? Is this a good way of building mass?