EKG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Relatively new at this, in need of help

Hi all, I've been lifting weights for a combined 6 months now (lifted for a while, took a break, started again 3 weeks ago). I've definately gained strength since I've started, and I love doing it... My method is good, slow and sure not jerky etc, I had a trainer help me out a while back. My goals are primarily to lose fat, and gain muscle. Very original I'm sure. I am a vegetarian, and overweight right now at 210 pounds/5'11"-6'. Not a lot of that is muscle. I do my workouts at home, I have an elliptical and some modular free weights.

Here are some of my measly stats at this point:
    2 sets 6 reps 30 pound barbell curl (about a 40-45 pound 1 rep max)
    2-6-30 hammer curl
    2-8-120 bench press
    2-8-100 lat pull down

I don't use weights to work out my lower body and abdominal muscles. I'm no bodybuilder but I thought this would be the best forum to ask around.

I have a bunch of questions...
    Diet: I am on a 1300-1700 calorie diet right now, which consists of 2 takeout meals a day basically, no sodas or candy. Stuff like Panda Express and Togo's. I'm quite certain this is less than optimal for my goals. I'm going to start the timed carb diet thing this week, being a vegetarian I'm wondering if it is even possible for me? What would I eat every day that would be 40% fat and almost no carbs, while still giving me the calories from fat and protein I need to build that muscle?

Supplements: I'm taking Amino Athlete amino acid pills, will this give me the amount of protein I need if I take them before and after workouts? Keep in mind I get maybe 20-30 grams of protein a day on a good day without them, sometimes as low as 10-15. This is the only supplement I am taking.

Cardio and workout program: If I go on the timed carb diet, how much cardio a day should I be doing? I'm doing about 30-40 minutes on average now, not super intense but not fat burn slow either. Can someone give me a sample workout program that would be good for someone like me, a somewhat new guy who wants to put on lots of muscle?

I'm asking a lot I know. If I am being a dumbass by asking questions that have been asked 1000 times, maybe a few helpful searchwords could be thrown my way. But I think my situation is fairly unique being a vegetarian.

I am very gung-ho about this, and if necessary I will forego significant muscle gain to simply keep what muscle I have and lose weight quickly. At this point I'll do just about anything (if absolutely required I might start eating meat) to shed fat (my goal is 20 pounds or more in the next 4 months).

Thank you guys in advance!
    Last edited by EKG; 05-20-2007 at 10:43 PM.

jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by EKG View Post
    I'm going to start the timed carb diet thing this week, being a vegetarian I'm wondering if it is even possible for me? What would I eat every day that would be 40% fat and almost no carbs, while still giving me the calories from fat and protein I need to build that muscle?
    Unless the restricted calorie diet has stopped working for you I don't know that I'd bother with timed carb stuff. In any case, health food stores are full of protein sources for vegetarians.

Supplements: I'm taking Amino Athlete amino acid pills, will this give me the amount of protein I need if I take them before and after workouts?
    Nope.

Cardio and workout program: If I go on the timed carb diet, how much cardio a day should I be doing?
    How much cardio you do is mostly unrelated to the diet you are.

BouncingSouls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BouncingSouls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BouncingSouls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BouncingSouls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BouncingSouls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BouncingSouls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Vegetarian Protein.

Beans
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Soya products (tofu/soy milk/soy mince)
    Whole grains.

Plus, there's the added fact that you're still getting the same 23 amino acids as in animal protein without all the killing, so it's not inferior protein.

Hmmm, interesting. I thought that soy protein was "bad" because it lowered testosterone?

"Unless the restricted calorie diet has stopped working for you I don't know that I'd bother with timed carb stuff."

It depends on what you mean by working. I have been losing weight quite rapidly on this 1500-1600 calorie a day diet + cardio plan, but it doesn't seem like I am gaining muscle. It's possible that I am just not working out correctly, reading the Rippetoe sticky I realised that me not doing squats or deadlifts is a bad thing. Maybe I've just developed my biceps as much as possible doing curls.

jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think the Timed Carb stuff has anything to do with building muscle; its purported benefit is more about body composition. You are probably not gaining muscle because you are in a caloric deficit, doing quite a bit of cardio, and don't have the greatest exercise selection. Just switching to carb timing is unlikely to resolve that.

Plus, how do you know you're not gaining muscle anyway?

You're right, I can't be sure I'm not gaining muscle. Thanks for the info on the carb timing!

Basically I've decided that I will keep doing cardio, stay on this diet or a better one somewhere down the road, and do my best to build muscle. I'm going to take a whey protein shake after every lifting session.

I know I'm going to lose fat since I'm already losing ~2 pounds a week, and if I gain some muscle, great. At the least, I'm hoping I can maintain what I have pretty well.

Thanks guys