Thread: How to start?

pixiebrush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How to start?

I have a burning question that I can't seem to find the answer to and am hoping someone can help me here.

I'm 5'1" and weigh 180 lbs. I'm on a diet program and would like to start weight training. My question is this--Do I have to lose ALL my excess weight before building muscle? Or, can I start now? If I do start now how heavy should I work out? I don't mind being bulky (heck I've been bulky most of my life), but I want to do this the most effective way. I know cardio is key to losing the fat, but I have really bad asthma. Presently, I'm riding a stationary bike 30 minutes a day in 10 minute intervals throughout the day. Slowly I'm adding time within those intervals. I'm hoping to be up to 20 minutes per interval by the end of the month. I also am walking 30 to 40 minutes a day, and eating 1200 calories. How do I add weight training to my excercise program, and when should I add it?
    Where is a good place to start? Books?

Thanks all.
    If not now, when?

moody_weasel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: How to start?

Originally posted by pixiebrush

My question is this--Do I have to lose ALL my excess weight before building muscle? Or, can I start now? If I do start now how heavy should I work out? I know cardio is key to losing the fat, but I have really bad asthma. Presently, I'm riding a stationary bike 30 minutes a day in 10 minute intervals throughout the day. Slowly I'm adding time within those intervals. I'm hoping to be up to 20 minutes per interval by the end of the month. I also am walking 30 to 40 minutes a day, and eating 1200 calories. How do I add weight training to my excercise program, and when should I add it?
    Where is a good place to start? Books?

Thanks all.
    As a newbie you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, after a while, this will stop so enjoy it while you can.
    That said, if you're eating 1200 calories a day you will not gain muscle. To gain muscle you need to eat more than that, about 200 maybe 300 calories above maintenance.

As a newbie, the right form is the most important thing. Once you're form is good on all exercises you can go heavier. Always start out light until you got the form down. When you go heavy make sure your form is still good.

Weight training will help you lose weight. I know some people are cardio junkies but you don't need to do cardio every day. Walking is fine.

If you're looking to build muscle, stay with compound lifts - squats, bench, deadlift - make sure you target the big muscle groups.

buffyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffyd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    if you're new to weight training altogether, your best bet would be to hire a personal trainer to show you exactly what you need to do and how to do it. just a couple of sessions to acquaint you with the equipment, and they could set up an appropriate program for you to follow.
    good luck!
    VYPER by Professional Supplements review: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=292381671#post292381671

bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    unfortunately most personal trainers i see at work are totally clueless and hold back their clients rather than help them. i reccomend NOT seeking a personal trainer. instead follow weasel's advice, look on the web if you don't know how to do those lifts and read postings by titania.

Corrie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's sounds like you haven't really lifted weights before....in that case you most likely need someone to show you the correct techniques.
    Do you go to the gym, or do you have equipment/free weights at home?
    If you have a friend that knows about weight lifting then have them show you basic exercises, or I'm sure someone at your gym can help you.
    Since you have asthma and have just started cardio, I think your walking/biking routine is fine....soon you will be able to cardio for more continuous amounts of time. I would also try to do as much cardio as possible first thing in the morning.
    You may not be eating enough, 1,200 calories while doing cardio and weights is not enough. Try eating several small meals throughout the day.....eat every 2 hours or so....protien shakes and protein bars are good if you don't have a lot of time.

Good Luck!

Just doin' my thing... BuffedWildCat's Avatar
    BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by bscrusher
    unfortunately most personal trainers i see at work are totally clueless and hold back their clients rather than help them. i reccomend NOT seeking a personal trainer. instead follow weasel's advice, look on the web if you don't know how to do those lifts and read postings by titania.
    I don't know about that, granted there are a lot of personal trainers out there who aren't worth squat but at the same time if she refrains from working with a personal trainer who really is good at what he/she does, then she is cutting herself short of getting a good education on how to work out properly. Just my opinion.

I STILL wouldn't be lifting weights today if it wasn't for my husband who taught me how to lift properly when we were dating. I was too clueless on how to use the free weights and that made it even more intimidating for me. A good personal trainer can do wonders!

Now how you go about finding the "good" ones, I'm not sure, word of mouth, testimonies from current and past clients, current and past clients' results, that's probably where I'd start.

pixiebrush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Thanks y'all for the great response. I'm going to do more of my cardio first thing A.M. Also, I'll try upping my calories to 1500 (more protein). I have a friend who is a physical trainer and dancer. She offered to help me figure out my Cross Bow exercise machine and give me a workout routine. The only problem I have with her advice, is that she's more into Pilates and stretching. I don't know how good her advice will be when it comes to weight training. Maybe I'll post her suggested routine and you all can comment on whether it's a good plan. My dad was into body building when I was a kid and I'd watch him workout. Ever since then I've wanted to be muscled up too. I've done weight training before (2-3 times in my life), but not seriously. However, I do now that my muscles build easily. I really look forward to working out seriously this time (now that I'm approaching 40 yrs of age) and making the rest of my life a healthy one. Thanks guys for all your support.
    If not now, when?

Just doin' my thing... BuffedWildCat's Avatar
    BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sounds like a plan. We'll be here.

Corrie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds like you're really motivated Pixie, and that's great!

I agree with WildCat, that you really want someone to show you how to use weights, I am just skeptical of some personal trainers.

It sounds like you have equipment at home you plan to use. I would be sure to get free weights...you can even go to a store that has used equipment free weights.

Some may not agree with me, but I think it's important to allow yourself a cheat day. I have seem so many people start to follow a program but fall off because it's just too much. I am very dedicated, yet I relax a little on the weekends. I have a very strict diet and exercise program on Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, and Thursday. Friday I do cardio in the morning and then have my cheat meal Friday night...and some beer . Saturday is usually my day of rest, and sometimes one cheat meal.
    If I didn't have my day of rest and cheat meals I would go insane, but maybe that's just me .