Closed Thread
    damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000)

Has anyone heard about ephedra causing low testosterone levels?

I found this on another board.

`I have been using ephedrine stack appropriately for about three years, without obvious negative side effect and positive results for weight control. I have discovered however that my total and free testosterone and T4 (thyroid) levels have dropped below the normal ranges. This has held true thru four blood tests. I now supplement both. I have no other risk factors for an endocrine failure. There are two major hormones and I only tested these levels because skin discoloration indicated a thyroid problem. I understand that there may be research out there on this and I am searching for it. If you are a long term user, have your doc check your testosterone and thyroid levels during your next physical and watch for symptoms of dysfunction here. Mess these hormones up, and the result is weight gain and fatigue and low sexual energy, very much the opposite effect of what is desired. I am not sure if its vascodillation or over stimulation of adrenals but there is a link here possibly.`

rrgg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How old is he? Did he measure his testosterone 3 years ago?

damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000) damned. is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am not sure, those are the only details I have, I was just wondering if this is common or even heard of?

Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Couldn't find anything directly on the effect of norepinephrine increase on testosterone, except the allusion that in hamsters it increases testosterone, and that in humans it accelerates aromatization and inhibits 5-alpha reduction in some tissues. Ephedrine also tends to increase thyroid levels at first, thyroid should not lower until after 8-10 weeks.

One has to question the wisdom in using ephedrine for 3 years, when clearly use beyond 20 weeks is not recommended. Most likely this is one of the people who got ephedra banned.

Agile, Mobile and Hostile MYNAMEIZGREG's Avatar
    MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Big Cat
    One has to question the wisdom in using ephedrine for 3 years, when clearly use beyond 20 weeks is not recommended. Most likely this is one of the people who got ephedra banned.
    In the quote, the person did say "appropriately," so I assume that he meant he cycled appropriately used ephedra.

I am skeptical on how he could make this claimwithout a before (ie test levels from three years ago). He might just have low testosterone, or even be in the age range where it starts to naturally decline.
    Making it my job to educate the younguns...
    --------------------------
    You didn't come here to make the choice. You've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it.

Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Still, his lower thyroid levels would indicate he was using it for considerable amounts of time. Some people still think pre-workout use of stimulants are a good thing, or considered appropriate.

From the old BB.comBoards DRACOMACHINE's Avatar
    DRACOMACHINE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DRACOMACHINE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DRACOMACHINE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DRACOMACHINE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DRACOMACHINE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DRACOMACHINE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DRACOMACHINE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DRACOMACHINE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DRACOMACHINE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DRACOMACHINE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DRACOMACHINE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There is always something that effects your Test. The best thing IMO would be to use your results as a guide. If you find that you are getting scrawny, and puffy at the same time, yout test levels might be dropping. I myself have cycled ephedra, and ephedrine hcl since 2000 and never had a problem getting ripped and muscular and keeping my wood! In fact I am currently ripped at 215 and feel horny all the time. I am 31 @ 6'2 inches tall.

Bottom line, if your starting to lose muscle, and its getting hard to shed the fat, re-evaluate your diet and cardio, then see a doctor.

Ephedrine has a libido boosting effect. Despite any mild effects on testosterone, I don't think anyone will lose their wood on ephedrine.

Originally posted by Big Cat
    Couldn't find anything directly on the effect of norepinephrine increase on testosterone, except the allusion that in hamsters it increases testosterone, and that in humans it accelerates aromatization and inhibits 5-alpha reduction in some tissues..
    Ok so it causes test to aromatize into estrogen? and what about the 5-A?

Thanks for the help BC

Originally posted by Grant D
    Ok so it causes test to aromatize into estrogen? and what about the 5-A?

Thanks for the help BC
    Those effects were only observed in the pineal gland though, which is more indicative of a neurological effect than anything else. Since it reduces fat mass, i'm assuming overall aromatization goes down since fat is one of the largest sites of aromatization.

I'm curious about the 5a myself though and will dig a little deepern since DHT has some very pronounced anti-lipolytic effects.

richierouge is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Former pro wrestler

I have been using ephedrine on and off..mostly on for 29years..back when you could buy it at truck stops..I was a pro wrestler for over 10 years from 87 till 97...I just started dieting and working out again..I went from 240lbs to 158lbs..I have not an ounce of fat on me..my health is great and 29years of ephedrine hasn't hurt me one bit..I wrestled at 205-210 lbs and got in bad shape over the last few years..the doctor said I'm the healthiest 47 year old hes ever seen..the drug probably isn't real good for you...but I've done a lot of other things that are MUCH worse

strong bump mr potato head