dnbwise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnbwise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnbwise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnbwise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

leg press vs. squats

is leg press just as hard on the knees as squats? also what can i do to support my knee joints during leg training, im paranoid of injury cause ive already had surgery on one of them.

ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: leg press vs. squats

Originally posted by dnbwise
    is leg press just as hard on the knees as squats? also what can i do to support my knee joints during leg training, im paranoid of injury cause ive already had surgery on one of them.
    Depends what you mean by "hard" on the knees....incline leg press is certainly an easier ex to perform than the squat. Have a look at your gym when it's busy....people queuing up to use the 45 degree leg press...squat rack deserted.

If you're worried about injury, you can wrap your knees to increase the internal pressure.

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: leg press vs. squats

Originally posted by dnbwise
    Do them light, even with just the bar and a couple small plates to master the balance and find a food placement that works. Some like narrow stance, some like wide. I put them about shoulder width, which is narrower than most, but it's what works and is comfy for me. When my feet are wider, my knes have a tendency to flare out more. You'll find your own placement.

You'll find a good spot. And work up to the higher weights slowly, so you're not discovering discomfort when it's already too late.

The leg press is easier, and easier to go heavy, which most people think is a sign of great superiority. But the squat runs circles around the leg press for overall development.

ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: leg press vs. squats

Originally posted by zackmurphy

The leg press is easier, and easier to go heavy, which most people think is a sign of great superiority. But the squat runs circles around the leg press for overall development. [/B]

damn straight.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: leg press vs. squats

Originally posted by ed073

If you're worried about injury, you can wrap your knees to increase the internal pressure.
    then knee ligaments and whatnot don't strengthen and u expose yourself to more injury...

Wink Re: Re: Re: leg press vs. squats

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    then knee ligaments and whatnot don't strengthen and u expose yourself to more injury...

good point....

Re: Re: Re: Re: leg press vs. squats

Originally posted by ed073
    good point....
    yea

i've stopped wrapping my knees when squatting.

Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: leg press vs. squats

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    yea

i've stopped wrapping my knees when squatting.
    You and your +1 crap....

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

-ohashi

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: leg press vs. squats

Originally posted by Steveo31
    You and your +1 crap....

60 posts/day, 38 of them are "yeah".

Biasedbulldog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No comparison. Leg press does quads (and really only one area of your quads) and virtually nothing else. The squat is THE best overall excercise. Do lower weight, more reps if you're afraid of injuring yourself. Heck, I've got AWFUL knees and I haven't hurt myself.... after switching from leg press to squats, I promise you there is a vast difference.
    "That which does not kill me delays
    the inevitable." -Despair.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: leg press vs. squats

Originally posted by zackmurphy
    60 posts/day, 38 of them are "yeah".
    erm, nah

BHASPP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You want to impress girlsat the gym, do leg presses. You wanna be strong do squats. Why is it strength athletes NEVER USE THE LEG PRESS???????