Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    R.I.C. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) R.I.C. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Why is high-reps & low-weight believed to "cut" you up ?

I've been working out for about 4 years now (with varying levels of intensity and consistancy)... and everyone i've ever come across preaches "go heavy with low reps for mass, and light with high reps for cuts"...
    I agree with the first part, it's worked for me. I've made substantial muscle gains with that principle.
    But I have problems with the second part. After all, what does "ripped" mean ? To me, it means having full muscles, which are completely exposed because your body fat levels are low enough not to obscure your muscles.

With this in mind, a person on a low-fat diet, who supplements their workout with a substantial amount of aerobic exercise (walking, cycling...), and continues to lift heavy weights with low reps... should still get ripped, right ?

Any views on my (flawed ?) belief, would be greatly appreciated !

MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Training heavy in the 6-8 rep range hits the growth fibers, also know as type 2b muscle fibers. You have it right, lifting builds muscle, diet and cardio burns fat. Build the muscle, supplement to preserve it and tweek the diet and add cardio to burn excess body fat. Light weights and high reps waste energy that can better be used to BUILD MUSCLE.
    MsFit

mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000)
    msfit, ive heard a lot of people say "you need to get fat to get big" but on the other hand ive heard the opposite...what do you think?

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You don't "need to get fat" - what that refers to is you need excess calories to put on muscle and when you have an excess you will end up with a bit being stored - hence the fat gain.

It is possible to gain muscle without adding fat but that is very difficult.

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Before anyone says it yes I am Msfit and thats why I answered

mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000) mattabull is a name known to all. (+5000)
    all sensible replies are welcomed d&g...thanx

Msfit is pretty tough I just didn't want her to beat me up for answering a post that was addressed to her.

MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ROTFLMAO............That's the answer I would have given; and don't worry, my paroll officer has instructed me to stop lashing out on the innocent. Darn, what am I going to do now?
    MsFit

Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cool

come home with me

Buffedtothecore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buffedtothecore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buffedtothecore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Buffedtothecore SAYS TOO GENERAL

EVERYONE SAYS HIGH REPS LOW WEIGHT. ANSWER ME THIS AND RIDDLE ME THAT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR BODY GETS USED TO THE RESISTANCE; HINT, IT DOESN'T RESPOND! THE BEST THING FOR GETTING BUFFEDOUT IS GREAT FORM PRACTICALLY PAUSING AT THE CONTRACTION; NOW TAKE HIGH REPS AND ADD RESISTANCE SO YOUR MUSCLES DO NOT ADJUST. WOW! MAKE SENSE. WORD AS TO BUFFEDOUT WHO CUT UP IN 81 DAYS CHECK OUT MY PAGE THEN BUY MY DVD IN 2 WEEKS. IT WILL SHOW YA HOW OR kellyeisele@yahoo.com and I will give a phone conference and write up a workout and diet program; my stuff is guarenteed! holla

Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wilky88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I find that my different muscle groups respond to different rep ranges and different intensities. For example, my shoulders get better results from doing 6-8 reps, arms 8-10 reps, and legs 10-15 reps, so there is no set rep range you need to do to get big or cut.

As for the "get fat to get big" saying - due to the lack of cardio and the amount of calories you consume when bulking, it is hard to have a good solid bulk without adding a couple of per cent to your body fat. But as for the more reps gets you ripped...i say bol***ks to that idea. Having mass from your bulk and a low body fat due to cardio gets you ripped. If you supplement right after you bulk, and hit the treadmill a few times a week, you shouldn't lose any lean muscle, and should lose some body fat. Thus making you "ripped".

lambpasty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lambpasty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lambpasty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lambpasty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lambpasty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lambpasty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lambpasty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lambpasty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lambpasty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lambpasty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lambpasty is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think the main reason thay people tend to go light weight/high reps on a cut is due to the decreased caloric intake and decreased carb intake, both of which usually lead to decreased strength and increased fatigue due to glycogen depletion. Keeping the weight lower and the reps higher allows for keeping the intensity high even when unable to push your highest numbers.
    HOLD UP BRO

I'm still curling in that squat rack.

BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wow this thread is old
    Alabama Crimson Tide

Bench PRs: 315x2, 285x6, 275x9, 225x18

Battling life's insanity AFMARQ's Avatar
    AFMARQ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AFMARQ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AFMARQ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AFMARQ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AFMARQ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AFMARQ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AFMARQ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AFMARQ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AFMARQ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AFMARQ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AFMARQ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BrettT07 View Post
    Wow this thread is old
    This thread 2001. Started one month after Sept. 11th attacks. Who in their right mind was thinking about low weight high reps when our country was in a crisis? Mind = Blown.
    U.S. Air Force CE Troop since 1996 -- "We build, maintain, and protect."

~Misc Shaved Head Crew~
    ~Lakers crew~
    ~Dodgers Crew~

Registered User SmithMachineGuy's Avatar
    SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Not thinking about your workout would be letting the terrorists win.

debdeepb34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) debdeepb34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) debdeepb34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) debdeepb34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) debdeepb34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) debdeepb34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) debdeepb34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) debdeepb34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) debdeepb34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) debdeepb34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) debdeepb34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Do the terrorists do a high rep low weight .. or low rep high weight work out ...

_ADV is on a distinguished road. (+10) _ADV is on a distinguished road. (+10) _ADV is on a distinguished road. (+10) _ADV is on a distinguished road. (+10) _ADV is on a distinguished road. (+10) _ADV is on a distinguished road. (+10) _ADV is on a distinguished road. (+10) _ADV is on a distinguished road. (+10) _ADV is on a distinguished road. (+10) _ADV is on a distinguished road. (+10) _ADV is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    They get enough exercise climbing onto aeroplanes

serval is on a distinguished road. (+10) serval is on a distinguished road. (+10) serval is on a distinguished road. (+10) serval is on a distinguished road. (+10) serval is on a distinguished road. (+10) serval is on a distinguished road. (+10) serval is on a distinguished road. (+10) serval is on a distinguished road. (+10) serval is on a distinguished road. (+10) serval is on a distinguished road. (+10) serval is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by R.I.C. View Post
    I've been working out for about 4 years now (with varying levels of intensity and consistancy)... and everyone i've ever come across preaches "go heavy with low reps for mass, and light with high reps for cuts"...
    I agree with the first part, it's worked for me. I've made substantial muscle gains with that principle.
    But I have problems with the second part. After all, what does "ripped" mean ? To me, it means having full muscles, which are completely exposed because your body fat levels are low enough not to obscure your muscles.

With this in mind, a person on a low-fat diet, who supplements their workout with a substantial amount of aerobic exercise (walking, cycling...), and continues to lift heavy weights with low reps... should still get ripped, right ?

yes, you can still get ripped by lifting heavy but its not a good idea to be on a caloric deficit when ur lifting heavy because u dont recover and ull increase chances of injury... also... high reps which use endurance muscles use more fat for energy... so thats where the fat burning comes in

its also probably more effective to loose fat by cutting out ur carbs than being on a low fat diet

somebeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somebeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    cycle between high reps and low reps in the same week and you should get better gains

Registered User BillabongVolcom's Avatar
    BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Just cycle weekly. One week do 4-6 rep range, Max-OT style, the following week do a little more volume 8-12 rep range, more of a bodybuilding style.

Or you can do it Fred Hatfield style.

3 x 4-6 Dead-lifts
    3 x 6-12 Bent-over Rows
    3 x 12-15 Wide Pull-downs Superset V Cable Rows
    1 x 50 Straight Arm Pull-downs

Hitting different fibers in each workout.
    I had all the normal teenage fantasies..cars, girls, money, blow. Then my parents left for a week, and all my fantasies came true!

kibaru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm also unsure because there are quite a lot of 3 set of 12 reps 4 day splits out there on the site. But I'm just not sure will it really do anything for me? I've never done 3 12s in my life, highest would probably be 3x8s so I'm sure there will eb some benefits right?

severrin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I know this is a bit late to the game, but I know that high rep routines, help to tone the body out. But more importantly it helps to build muscular endurance, and your Anaerobic ability in that muscle group. This seems to be forgotten by many people, because one of the by products is the resulting fat loss and "shredded" physique.

If you increase your anaerobic pathway, you can get more bang for you buck in the first rep when you're lifting heavy, or trying to gain strength.

It can also improve your cardio endurance, and increase your vascular system as well.

So there are benefits to both sides of the lifting coin.

PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PhiDelt234 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    testorone levels are high with low heavy reps. high reps do nothing but build muscular endurance. High reps don't get you more shredded or toned.

ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    People misconfuse cause and effect. They see skinny, "cut" people in they gym who can't lift a ton doing light weights over & over until they feel they've hit failure. And they see fat bastards doing heavy weights & their ego keeps them at 3-5RM so they can look like they're lifting more weight. Irregardless, effect doesn't come before causation.

kellycat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile what do I do?

So what would someone do that can't get past her plateau and has been doing the same tired workout for years? I 've too been told to do high reps with low weight to sculpt and define. I do not want to bulk up.

RetardedNinja is a name known to all. (+5000) RetardedNinja is a name known to all. (+5000) RetardedNinja is a name known to all. (+5000) RetardedNinja is a name known to all. (+5000) RetardedNinja is a name known to all. (+5000) RetardedNinja is a name known to all. (+5000) RetardedNinja is a name known to all. (+5000) RetardedNinja is a name known to all. (+5000) RetardedNinja is a name known to all. (+5000) RetardedNinja is a name known to all. (+5000) RetardedNinja is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kellycat View Post
    So what would someone do that can't get past her plateau and has been doing the same tired workout for years? I 've too been told to do high reps with low weight to sculpt and define. I do not want to bulk up.
    Happy ten year Anniversary of this old ass thread

NattyEdAYS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NattyEdAYS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NattyEdAYS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NattyEdAYS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NattyEdAYS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NattyEdAYS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NattyEdAYS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NattyEdAYS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NattyEdAYS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NattyEdAYS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NattyEdAYS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

33 posts?

Originally Posted by kellycat View Post

1 post?

valle269 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) valle269 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) valle269 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) valle269 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) valle269 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) valle269 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) valle269 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) valle269 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) valle269 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) valle269 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) valle269 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    dang 2001

meowmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meowmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meowmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meowmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meowmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meowmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meowmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meowmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meowmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meowmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meowmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So that you can use shorter time rest between sets to increase your heartbeat. 30 sec rest between sets.

phatmajic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just need to keep mixing it up, should be sore every time you leave