Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

dannyboy9's Knowledge Compilation

First of all, thanks to tweaked17 for the kind suggestion of producing this compilation

Just wanted to put together a collection of information for documentation purposes as well as the simple fact that I like sharing this sort of stuff with people that are willingly open minded enough to absorb it and learn from it.

If you can't figure it out from glancing at some of my posts and/or looking at my sig, I AM someone through whom which you can purchase Shaklee natural nutritional health supplements from. I'm not here to talk down on, negate or necessarily compare any products or companies to anything. I'm here to offer something different and something that really works with the proof to back it up. I feel that there should be a number of things a company should provide you with but the most important IMO are:

- solid evidence that the products they offer do what they claim to do

- as much information as possible on the product and every single ingredient in the product (including "other ingredients")

When I ask a company how do I know if their product works, I don't want an irrelevant response like "Many people have tried it and they liked it. It has great feedback on it."

I don't care what the next guy or gal has to say about a product? How do they know it's working? What makes them qualified to say this product is good, this product is bad? Are they doing blood work? What are they doing that can solidify their feedback on the product they're taking? Think about it for a second - a multivitamin is always going to be a multivitamin. So what separates one company's multivitamin from the other 200 companies out there that have one? The name? I'm not buying the name, I'm buying the product because it's supposed to be good for me and provide me with the designated health benefits, not because the bottle has lots of pretty colors on it and it glimmers in the sunlight. Too many people get caught up in the hype and marketing companies have to offer. I worked @ Mass Nutrition for over 9 months which means I've tried virtually EVERYTHING out there. In the end, it's all comes down to who markets what better - it's a mind game. One thing I never understood was this: If a company is so great, why do people only use one of their products like say, their protein products, or their pre-workout products. Quite some time ago, I had never thought about it but I was using one brand of multivitamin and a different brand for protein, another brand for this and another for that. I was even recommending products and I hardly would mention two good products being made by the same company. A good company has a wide spectrum of products (that work) and chances are that if you're using one of their products, you're using all of them. That's how you know a good company apart from the rest. Another thing I never understood what made someone recommend a product over another? "Because this product contains this, this and that and a lot of people have used it and they like it." LOL Wow...is that the best you can come up with? 5,000,000 people use a product and they all like it...based on what?

Since the FDA has no regulation in supplement companies, there's no "research" out there so companies make products however they please even if it compromises quality and the consumer can't even tell. Many companies that claim to have "research" and this and that and support to back up their products. Here's a wake up call for those of you who fall for that gimmick:The only thing that would be equivalent to "research" is published studies cause other than that, you're going by what you think and what others think. The only other research aside from published studies would be "peer reviews" and we all know how unreliable those are. Peer reviewed published studies and regular published studies are the cr?me de la cr?me of "research".

Show me the proof in the pudding aka double blind placebo controlled studies or blood work. Those are the only two things a doctor of any kind in their right mind will listen to, why shouldn't you? Everyone believes in "getting what you pay for", right?

So why shouldn't that apply to health supplements?

I can't believe there's honestly people out there that think they're doing something good for themselves by buying their local pharmacy's or convenience store's brand of anything whether it be vitamin C, protein supplement, multivitamin, etc. Ignorance can be an amazing thing at times. What people don't know is that the word ignorant doesn't mean you're stupid, doesn't mean you're a moron and you'll never make it in life. It simply means you don't know. There's nothing wrong with not knowing, there IS something wrong however with not listening. Listen to everything everyone has to say, even the fools. It's completely up to you to believe what you want but there is only one truth, no more and no less. I could go on for hours on end discussing my philosophy on how shady of an industry this is but I want to get down to business (and information).

I would like to keep this thread as clean and positive as possible so in essence, if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all - especially in this thread. I would highly appreciate it. If you have something you would like to discuss with me about that you feel "strongly" about aka you're a sh!tty person and today's the day you take it out on me, then simply send me a PM and we'll see what we can do for you. I just like keeping the immature bickering and idiotic ignorance off the board - that's all!

On a brighter note, I feel that there are way too many "fly by night" companies and many of the companies that people feel are "solid" or "reputable"....really aren't. Not to say that a company is bad but I feel that it takes a little more than pretty colors and sparkly products along with marketing to reach my heart, mind and most importantly, my body. I don't believe in the need for anything artificial. There's plenty of "natural" to go around so fillers, artificial flavors, colors, etc. - no need. Yes, I'm sure it's a cheaper route going the artificial way but little things like that reflect a lot on a company and what their prerogatives really are.

I want to start with a very important video I feel everyone should watch (if you haven't already) especially if you're a new member of ANY internet forum of any kind.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Now that we got that out of the way, I'm going to start with some basic information that interests me and hopefully can serve some purpose to you all out there as well.
    Last edited by bigpoppaproppy; 05-21-2007 at 11:33 AM.
    "Life is always happening FOR you--not TO you."

7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Will creatine support a fat loss program?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/henkin6ss.htm

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...1/ai_109666895

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/a...php/t-145.html

Conclusion: Yes

5 Ways Alcohol Will Kill Your Gains

Written by Sean Nalewanyj

"I receive emails every single day from aspiring muscle-builders all over the world, and one of the most common questions I?m asked is ?does drinking really affect the muscle growth process?? I?m sorry to say it, but yes, too much alcohol will almost definitely have a significant negative impact on your muscle-building results. Alcohol is far more harmful than most people think, and it?s very important that you understand how this drug (yes, alcohol is a drug) is affecting your progress. This is not an anti-drug speech, but if you?re serious about achieving a truly impressive physique, you should definitely be aware of the 5 main ways that alcohol is slowing down your gains?

1) It negatively affects protein synthesis.

Protein synthesis is the process where amino acids are joined together to form complete proteins. Excessive alcohol consumption slows this process down by up to 20%, and since your muscles are made up of protein, you can see how this is a problem.

2) It lowers testosterone levels and increases estrogen.

Testosterone is the most important muscle-building hormone in your body. One of the limiting factors that determines how much muscle a person can gain is their level of free-flowing testosterone.

3) It causes dehydration.

The kidneys must filter very large amounts of water in order to break down the alcohol, and this can result in severe dehydration within the body. Water plays an absolutely crucial role in the muscle-building process, and being even slightly dehydrated is a recipe for disaster. The muscles alone are comprised of 70% water.

4) It depletes the body of vitamins and minerals.

Alcohol consumption causes vitamins A, C, the B's, calcium, zinc and phosphorus to all be drained at rapid rates. Vitamins and minerals keep every little process in your body functioning properly, and many of these processes involve muscle growth and maintenance.

5) It increases fat storage.

With 7 empty calories per gram, alcohol can actually be quite fattening. Alcohol also disrupts the Kreb?s Cycle, which plays an important role in fat burning.

It?s important to have fun in life, but too much fun can lead to problems. If you?re serious about achieving significant muscle-building results, you definitely need to monitor your intake of alcohol and make sure that you are consuming it in moderation. A few drinks here and there shouldn?t be a problem, but if you find yourself drinking every weekend you can almost certainly kiss your muscle gains goodbye.

If you do decide to go out and party, make sure to drink plenty of water and to properly nourish yourself with vitamins/minerals and a protein rich meal.

I don?t recommend revolving your entire life around your muscle-building program, so don?t be afraid to go out and have a good time once in a while. Just make sure to keep your drinking nights infrequent (no more than once a month) and properly nourish yourself to lessen its effects. As long as you monitor what you?re doing you can achieve an impressive physique and have a social life at the same time."

Gaining Weight for Newbies
    Weight Gain Myths
    By Gary Mathews

The vast majority of myths about weight gain are mostly passed down from "gym talk" and so-called experts who know nothing about the body's workings.

Myths that lead to wasted time, frustration and if are taken blindly as truth, can really set back your progress in the gym. Don't believe everything you hear in the gym when it comes to exercise and weight gain, do the research yourself.

Simple, basic principles apply to all weight and muscle gain such as progressive overload, variable frequency of reps and high intensity workouts. Lets take a look at some of the most common weight gain myths.

High repetitions burn fat while low repetitions build muscle.

Progressive overload is needed to make muscles bigger. Meaning that you need to perform more reps than you did for your last workout for that particular exercise. If you perform the same amount of reps at each workout nothing will change on you, also if the weight doesn't changes on the bar nothing will change on you. You need to become stronger.

Definition has two characteristics, muscle size and a low incidence of body fat. To reduce body fat you will have to reduce your calories; the high repetition exercise will burn some calories, but wouldn't it be better to fast walk to burn these off? Better still; use the low reps to build muscle, which will elevate your metabolism and burn more calories (less fat).

Vegetarians can't build muscle.

Yes they can! Strength training with supplementation of soy Protein Isolate has shown to increase solid bodyweight. Studies have shown that athletic performance is not impaired by following a meat free diet, and people strength training and consuming only soy protein isolate as a protein source were able to gain lean muscle mass.

Strength Training will make you look masculine.

If it is not you're intention to bulk up from strength training you won't. Putting on muscle is a long hard slow process. Your strength-training regime coupled with quality food will determine how much you will bulk up. To bulk up you also require more food. Women don't produce enough testosterone to allow for muscular growth as large as men.

By working out you can eat what ever you want to.

Of course you can eat whatever you want, if you don't care how you want to look. Working out does not give you an open license to consume as many calories as you want. Although you will burn more calories if you workout than someone who doesn't, you still need to balance your energy intake with you energy expenditure.

If you take a week off you will lose most of your gains. Taking one or two weeks off occasionally will not harm your training. By taking this time off every eight to ten weeks in between strength training cycles it has the habit of refreshing you and to heal those small niggling injuries. By having longer layoffs you do not actually lose muscle fibres, just volume through not training, any size loss will be quickly re-gained.

By eating more protein I can build bigger muscles.

Building muscle mass involves two things, progressive overload to stimulate muscles beyond their normal levels of resistance and eating more calories than you can burn off. With all the hype about high protein diets lately and because muscle is made of protein, it's easy to believe that protein is the best fuel for building muscle, however muscles work on calories which should predominately be derived from carbohydrates.

If I'm not sore after a workout, I didn't work out hard enough.

Post workout soreness is not an indication of how good the exercise or strength training session was for you. The fitter you are at a certain activity, the less soreness you will experience after. As soon as you change an exercise, use a heavier weight or do a few more reps you place extra stress on that body part and this will cause soreness.

Resistance training doesn't burn fat.

Nothing could not be further from the truth. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue and has a role in increasing the metabolism. The faster metabolism we have the quicker we can burn fat. Cardio exercise enables us to burn calories whilst exercising but does little else for fat loss afterwards.

Weight training enables us to burn calories whilst exercising but also helps us to burn calories whilst at rest. Weight training encourages muscle growth and the more lean muscle mass we possess, the more fat we burn though an increased and elevated metabolism.

No pain no gain.

This is one myth that hangs on and on. Pain is your body signalling that something is wrong. If you feel real pain during a workout, stop your workout and rest. To develop muscle and increase endurance you may need to have a slight level of discomfort, but that's not actual pain.

Taking steroids will make me huge.

Not true, strength training and correct nutrition will grow muscle. Taking steroids without training will not make you muscular.

Most steroids allow faster muscle growth through greater recovery, while others help increase strength which allows for greater stress to be put onto a muscle. Without food to build the muscle or training to stimulate it nothing will happen. Most of the weight gain seen with the use of some steroids is due to water retention and is not actual muscle.

Strength training won't work your heart.

Wrong!! Strength training with short rest periods will increase your heartbeat well over a hundred beats per minute. For example, performing a set of breathing squats and you can be guaranteed that your heart will be working overtime and that your entire cardiovascular system will be given a great overall body workout.

Any intensive weightlifting routine that lasts for 20 minutes or more is a great workout for your heart and the muscles involved.

I can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Wrong. Only a few gifted people with superb genetics can increase muscle size while not putting on body fat. But for the average hard gainer, they have to increase their muscle mass to its maximum potential and then cut down their body fat percentage to achieve the desired shape.

Coffee Drinking

Many people give up coffee in an effort to lead more healthy lifestyles. Researchers from Harvard Medical School conducted a large study of more than 100,000 men and women and found that even ehavy coffee drinking wasn't linked to increased risk of coronary artery disease or heart attacks. Researchers from the University of Toronto Nutritional Sciences Department identified gene variants that allowed people to metabolize caffeine slowly or quickly. Coffee consumption increased the risk of heart attack in people who people who processed caffeine slowly (JAMA, 296:1135-1141, 2006). Most people can probably drink all the coffee they want, but some have genes that could make coffee drinking dangerous.

(Circulation, 113:2045-2053,2006)

t risk factor for coronary artery disease. Insulin resistance also promotes heart disease and abdominal obesity. Cinnamon contains antioxidants called phenols that promote blood vessel health. The scientist found that even small doses of cinnamon were helpful. Bodybuilders would benefit by sprinkling a teaspon of cinnamon on their oatmeal at breakfast.

(Paper presented @ the 2006 Experimental Biology Meeting, San Francisco)

DHEA Supplements

One substance currently available as a dietary supplement is in reality a hormone with potentially harmful effects, says the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR). DHEA, or dehydroepiandrosterone, is a hormone, produced by the adrenal gland which is converted to other hormones in the body, such as estrogen and testosterone.

People who take supplements of DHEA may increase their risk for hormone-related cancers such as breast, endometrial, and prostate cancers. And for a person who has one of these cancers, DHEA could cause tumors to grow more quickly, according to the AICR. To date, the Food and Drug Administration has received over 2600 reports of adverse health problems linked to consumers? use of DHEA. (See Supplements Must be Safe...Right?, Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies, 8e, p. 240.)

?Barbara Quinn, MS, RD, CDE

Fish Oil Relieves Neck & Back Pain

More than 85 percent of the population suffers from back pain at one time or another. The treatment of choice for most people is rest and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Unfortunately, NSAIDs cause gastrointenstinal problems in some people and may trigger heart attacks and strokes in others. Researchers from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center found that fish oil supplements reduced back pain as well as NSAIDs. Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids that have anti-inflammatory effects on joints and tissues. Subjects took 1.2 to 2.4 grams of fish oil for 75 days. The study was poorly controlled, so the results may have been attributed to the power of suggestion. Other studies found that glucosamine and chondroitin supplements also help relieve joint pain. Taking those supplements with fish oil may have additive effects in treating or preventing back pain.

(Journal Surgical Neurology, 65:326-331, 2006)

EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) is the naturally occurring compound shown in research to block excessive muscle breakdown by reducing the activity of the major biochemical pathway that results in the destruction of muscle protein and loss of muscle mass. In clinical studies, EPA is shown to work at the molecular level and block muscle protein catabolism by reducing the activity of the ATP-ubiquitin-proteasome proteolytic pathway, the major pathway of protein catabolism in muscle. Research shows that this pathway is highly active in illnesses that promote muscle wasting, but also active during times of calorie restriction. The capacity of EPA to block excessive muscle protein breakdown is powerful; it's anti-catabolic effects are shown to be even more potent than IGF-1. EPA blocks excessive protein breakdown

Melatonin Study

Claims, Benefits: Promotes sleep, counters jet lag, improves sex life, slows aging, etc.

Bottom Line
    : This human hormone may help promote sleep, but the evidence is still not definite. The other claims are unproven. No serious side effects have been reported, but long-term effects are unknown. Hormones are powerful substances and can produce unexpected results, so we don't recommend melatonin.

Full Article, Wellness Letter, May 2000:

Melatonin: Questions, Facts, Mysteries

Look on any website selling supplements or in any health-food catalogue, and you'll find melatonin recommended for insomnia, jet lag, arthritis, stress, alcoholism, migraine, and the signs and symptoms of aging and menopause?along with assertions that it staves off heart disease and cancer. Some people recommend "melatonin replacement therapy" for all postmenopausal women. But now that scientific research is catching up with melatonin mania, you may want to proceed with caution.

Melatonin is a human hormone produced deep in the brain by the pineal gland, dubbed "the seat of the soul" by philosophers in ages past. Discovered about 40 years ago, melatonin has been called the "darkness" hormone. Production rises at night, falls by day, and affects our internal body clock and sleep cycles. Melatonin has been assumed, logically enough, to have some use as a sleeping pill. Here are some questions, facts, and mysteries.

Does melatonin production decline with age?

The answer, until recently, was thought to be yes. But a new study at the Harvard Medical School of healthy people taking no medications or drugs found no differences in melatonin levels between the young and old. In earlier studies medications such as aspirin taken by older people may have suppressed melatonin levels. Melatonin levels may vary naturally in different groups; age does not seem to be the factor. Different people have different levels, and levels vary according to time of day.

Bottom line: If your body already produces enough melatonin, taking additional doses may not be advisable. No one knows what the long-term effect might be. And it's difficult to determine what "enough" is.

Is melatonin an effective sleeping pill?

Most scientists agree that melatonin helps people fall asleep faster, but it may not help them stay asleep. Like benzodiazepines (such as ****** or Halcion), often prescribed as sleeping pills, melatonin can produce a "hangover" and drowsiness the next day. Long-term safety is still a question. It's true, as one researcher puts it, that "no catastrophes have been related to its use" (such as the outbreak of severe illness caused by a similar "natural" substance, tryptophan, once sold as a sleeping pill). Melatonin is being heavily marketed as a sleeping pill, particularly for older people, but nobody knows if the dosages listed on labels are accurate or if the products are pure. Good clinical trials have never been done on melatonin treatment for insomnia.

Bottom line: If you need a sleeping pill, talk to your doctor. No known sleeping pill has proven safe and effective for more than short-term use.

Does melatonin alleviate jet lag?

Thousands take it for this purpose, but the benefits have never been clear. Various dosages of melatonin have been used in studies, making comparisons difficult. "Jet lag" itself is hard to measure. As reported recently in the American Journal of Psychiatry, a team of researchers devised a scale for measuring symptoms, and a group of Norwegian physicians flying between Oslo and New York were recruited as subjects. Melatonin showed no benefit against jet lag. If you're flying east, exposing yourself to sunlight the next morning is a pretty good treatment?most purveyors of melatonin suggest this, in addition to the pills. It's possible, though, that light is more effective than melatonin. You might be just as well off without the pills. Or maybe light works with the pills. Nobody knows.

Bottom line: The jury is still out on melatonin and jet lag.

Is melatonin replacement therapy justifiable for all postmenopausal women?

No. Some researchers think low melatonin levels cause menopausal symptoms, but they may be wrong. HRT (hormone replacement therapy) has been studied much more extensively than melatonin, but no one recommends it for all postmenopausal women.

Bottom line
    : Hormones are powerful substances that, even in small doses, can produce unexpected and unwanted results.

Is melatonin an antioxidant, and thus a protector against aging and chronic diseases?

A recent review of studies by researchers at Louisiana State University confirms that it is indeed a powerful antioxidant. But nobody knows what this means. Until we learn more, "the full potential benefits of melatonin must remain something of a mystery," these researchers concluded.

Last words: If you are taking, or thinking of taking, melatonin, talk to a physician?and one who's not selling melatonin. Having your levels measured won't tell you anything, since levels vary from person to person and from hour to hour. Chronic use of melatonin supplements may suppress the body's own production of the hormone. Nobody knows what might happen if you have high natural levels and take a supplement on top of that. Melatonin can interact with other hormones, which is why, in part, pregnant women and children should never take it. Such drugs as aspirin, beta blockers, and tranquilizers can affect melatonin levels. Finally, nobody knows what dosages to take. Products are not standardized. Thus, you really don't know what you're swallowing.

UC Berkeley Wellness Letter, May 2000

Five Rules to find a Quality Vitamin Supplement Company

Make sure your MULTI-Vitamin/Mineral has 19 vitamins & minerals with a % sign. There are over a 100 different nutrients in food today with science knowing of less than 40 or about 1/3 of what God has given to us. Nutrients on a label that have an asterisk have no set RDA?s and as of yet are not part of the basic foundational nutrients although still important. These are sometimes added to cover up the missing foundational nutrients. So check to see that you have the foundational 19 important nutrients that have established RDA?s first. Because if a product will miss these you know for sure they are cutting corners. Next is where was this products raw materials derived from and are they tested for quality & purity. Can the company prove that the raw materials are derived from natural food sources that still contain live enzymes that are necessary for digestion and assimilation. This is very important because if the nutrients were chemically produced they will not have important live enzymes and if science only knows of 1/3 the nutrients that God has given us through food, common sense tells us that there is no way they can produce the other 2/3 nutrients since they cannot even identify them yet.

Rule (2)

BIOTIN is vital for health and needs to be present w/ 100% OF THE U.S. RDA. Biotin is very expensive compared to the other B-vitamins in fact it is 20 to 25 times the cost of silver to produce. So the only reason for a company not putting 100% of this nutrient in their Multi is to save money and make more profit at your health?s expense. Also not having 100% of Biotin will hinder the use of all the B-vitamins. That is why they are all called B-vitamins they are of the same family and all need to be present in proportional amounts to work properly. Biotin is like the quarter back of the B-vitamin team and if he is only 12% available you are not going to have a good game. No matter how much of the cheap B?s are available the balance of all B-vitamins & having 100% Biotin & Folic acid are the most important. Many Multi?s will fall short in this nutrient. Also check to see how many tablets are needed to achieve these %.

Rule (3)

The 8 MEMBERS of the B-COMPLEX should not vary more than 500% from each other. Thiamin, Riboflavin, and Niacin are very inexpensive. Because of this they are routinely used to fortify breads, cereals, and even junk foods. Many products will use 500-3000 % of these vitamins to make their label look impressive but there is no nutritional rationale for doing it and this creates even more of an unbalanced Multi. Ideal ratio is 100-150% of each other. An excess of one B-vitamin could cause a relative deficiency of other B-vitamins and be injurious to your health. Therefore, it is important to remember to keep a balance for optimal health. Whole wheat bread when milled to white bread removes 11 of the B-vitamins out while enriched white bread puts back four of the cheapest B-vitamins. If you gave me 11 dollars and I gave you back 4 dollars would you feel enriched?

Rule (4)

The COPPER-TO-ZINC RATIO should be present in 100% to 100%. Ideally these two mineral should be present in a one-to-one ratio based on U.S. RDA?s. If the company is paying close attention to micro-mineral research, this ratio will be present. High blood copper levels can depress zinc absorption, and high zinc intakes can reduce copper absorption. A zinc deficiency can cause eczema, susceptibility to infections, and white spots on the nails. A copper deficiency can cause water retention, irritability, brittle bones, and poor hair texture. Be sure of balance!

Rule (5)

Should contain adequate amounts of CALCIUM, MAGNESIUM, and PHOSPHORUS in 1 to 1 RATIO Calcium & these other minerals are not in themselves expensive but very bulky. Its the process to incorporate into tablets that?s difficult & expensive. We are being told to cut down on fat. Unfortunately many of our best sources of these minerals, such as many dairy products, come with quite a bit of fat attached. To compound this situation, in the late 1989 the RDA for Calcium was raised from 800 to 1200 mg. Adequate calcium has a role in preventing osteoporosis and maintaining strong bones, regulating heart beat, and necessary for nerve and muscle transmission. It has even been shown to play a part in blood pressure reduction and possibly the prevention of colon cancer. Magnesium and Phosphorus work hand in hand with Calcium.
    http://www.bodymaxunlimited.com/id333.html

Different Types of Protein

Whey Protein- Whey is a milk derived soluble protein that is quickly digested. Whey has been clinically shown to increase protein synthesis by as much as 68% when consumed post workout. This is because whey gives your body a flood of amino acids very quickly, causing a rise in protein synthesis.

So what is it good for: Whey is good when consumed post workout because your muscle's need protein fast and whey gives it to them fast, since it is digested in about 30 minutes. For this same reason, you should not take whey on an empty stomach or by itself at any other time of the day.

Another reason whey should only really be used post workout is because at any other time when it is taken by itself your body only uses about 30% of the amino acids. You see, whey gives your body such a quick flood of aminos that the body thinks it has more protein than it actually does and it sends the "excess" to the liver, where it is oxidized and used as energy.
    Casein- Casein is the opposite of whey. It is an insoluble, slow-digesting, milk derived protein. Casein has been shown to be anti-catabolic in several studies but has no effect on increasing protein synthesis. So what is it good for: Casein gels in the stomach and is slow to digest.

In fact it takes casein at least 2.5 hours to digest and up to 4 in some cases. For that reason it is good at any meal other than post workout. Casein is an excellent choice especially right before bed since it gives you a slow stream of aminos over about 3-4 hours and prevents muscle breakdown. You need this slow stream of aminos since your body will be going 8 hours without any protein.

Soy- Derived from, you guessed it, soy plants! Soy is very unique because it is the only complete, non animal protein. Complete means that it contains all the essential and non-essential amino acids. Soy contains flavones, which are good for your health, and has been shown in some studies to reduce the risk of cancer.

It is also rich in Glutamine, which is perhaps the most bodybuilding important amino acid. So what's it good for? Overall, soy is good for your health, and one or two servings a day would be a good idea. However there are better proteins for bodybuilder's goals. As far as the notion that soy raises estrogen levels goes, it is true but only if you consume abnormally large amounts of soy, so don't be scared to have soy every once and awhile.

Egg Protein
    - Eggs have the best amino acid profile available on a single protein. They also have the highest net nitrogen utilization rating, which means that you use more nitrogen which is what actually builds the muscle. Think about it, you're eating a complete animal, it's nature's gift to bodybuilders.

I personally have experienced noticeable gains when I increased my egg consumption. Egg is a medium rate digesting protein, about 1.5-3 hours. So what is it good for: Egg protein would be good at breakfast, lunch, whenever, save post workout and before bed.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne3.html

Quick Summary of BCAAs

What does 'BCAA' stand for?
    Branched Chain Amino Acids

What do they do?
    BCAAs are needed for the maintenance of muscle tissue and appear to preserve muscle stores of glycogen (a storage form of carbohydrate that can be converted into energy). BCAAs also help prevent muscle protein breakdown during exercise.

Some research has shown that BCAA supplementation (typically 10-20 grams per day) does not result in meaningful changes in body composition, nor does it improve exercise performance or enhance the effects of physical training. However, BCAA supplementation may be useful in special situations, such as preventing muscle loss at high altitudes and prolonging endurance performance in the heat. Studies by one group of researchers suggest that BCAA supplementation may also improve exercise-induced declines in some aspects of mental functioning.

BCAA Benefits
    BCAAs can active glutamate dehydrogenase?an enzyme that is deficient in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also called Lou Gehrig?s disease. In one double-blind trial, 26 grams per day of BCAA supplements helped those with ALS maintain muscle strength. However, a larger study was ended early when people using BCAAs not only failed to improve, but experienced higher death rates than the placebo group. Other studies have shown no benefit of BCAA supplementation for ALS or other neuromuscular diseases, though a small group of people suffering from diseases of the nervous system collectively called spinocerebellar degeneration did improve when given BCAAs in a preliminary study.

One study investigating the advantages of BCAA supplementation for people with diabetes undergoing an intense exercise program found no additional benefit of BCAAs on reducing abdominal fat or improving glucose metabolism.

Patients with liver diseases that lead to coma?called hepatic encephalopathy?have low concentrations of BCAAs and excess levels of certain other amino acids. Preliminary research suggested that people with this condition might be helped by BCAAs. Double-blind studies have produced somewhat inconsistent results, but a reanalysis of these studies found an overall benefit for the symptoms of encephalopathy. Therapeutic effects of BCAAs have also been shown in children with liver failurea nd adults with cirrhosis of the liver. Any treatment of people with liver failure requires the direction of a physician.

People with chronic kidney failure may also benefit from BCAA supplementation. A preliminary study found improved breathing and sleep quality in people given intravenous BCAAs during kidney dialysis.

Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a genetic disease that causes abnormally high amounts of phenylalanine and its end products to accumulate in the blood, causing damage to the nervous system. A controlled trial demonstrated that regular use of BCAAs by adolescents and young adults with PKU, improved performance on some tests of mental functioning.

A final possible benefit of BCAA supplementation is combating immunosuppression caused by prolonged exercise. Supplementation of BCAA's to competing triathletes and runners increases plasma glutamine concentration, and one study indicates that increased glutamine can decrease the incidence of upper respiratory tract infections in endurance athletes [29]. On the other hand, other researchers contest the notion that increasing glutamine concentrations can combat exercise-induced immunosuppression [30].

This outcome makes sense because BCAAs may compete with phenylalanine, reducing its toxic effects.

This is just a quick slack summary on BCAAs. For tons of info and deeper research on BCAAs. Go to the following websites

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/1-11-2005-64019.asp
    (The source of post with the exception of last paragraph)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/inmag5.htm

http://www.*************/i59_BCAAs.html
    (Source of last paragraph)

Basic BB'ing Myths
    Myth 1: The Answer is A New Supplement

The small things will make the difference between a hardcore lifter and a gym rat. For example, people step into the gym and load the same weight onto the bar every time. So, they are getting into their standard routine, and as a result, they aren't getting bigger and stronger. So, what do they do? They begin looking for the secret supplement. Unfortunately, they discover the supplement doesn't work and they keep training with the same weights and reading their same muscle and fitness magazines and continue to tread water.

Here is a secret, trying a new supplement or switching up your routine is not the only option. So put down the magazine and look for the 2.5lbs plates in the gym! Add the 2.5s to the weight you are using and continue to add 2.5s every week. Once you hit a plateau, then periodize your workout and then perform this process on another muscle group. I can tell you right now, from my experiences and the experiences of others, if you continue to train with the exact same weight for the exact same number of reps week after week, you will not progress as quickly.

Myth 2: If the Pros Do It So Should I

In the bodybuilding world there is a lot of bull and with plenty of advertisers ready to take our money. If a perfect body came in a bottle we would all have one! Often times the pros aren't even writing those articles, they are in fact written by ghost writers paid by the magazines. So, many rookies want to do what the pros do. However, even if they tried, they would just kill their bodies. Remember a pros body isn't the same as a drug free lifter's body. If they are loaded on testosterone then they will have faster recovery rates and have the option of training longer. The drug free lifters will over train and get hurt. So, remember leave the volume workouts to the pro

Myth 3: There Is Only One Correct Way To Train

Don't worry about "What routine is the best." All of our bodies respond differently. If you do the same workout repeatedly, you'll make progress for a while, and then it will stop. It's always good to be open to change and do what is working and change what is not. So many lifters want the simple single answer! Well, the secret is in the "ANDS" because there are many components to training and things happening at once. As soon as you think you have the answer, you have just put blinders on and missed the thousand other aspects of training. So, you need to have as many tools as possible in your repertoire and know when to use them to create a better body or whatever your goal might be. In other words, once we feed the body with new answers, more questions will come up. The key is how we respond to these new questions. And the questions will be different for everyone and that is why everything we learn should be applied to what we need/want at the time.

Myth 4: If I Just Keep Lifting Heavier and Heavier Year Round, I Will Get Stronger

Some of us are on a journey and over the years add hundreds of pounds to our lifts. Others go to the gym, train with heavy weights, low reps, eat big and allow themselves plenty of time to recover between workouts, and still don't reach their true potential. So what's the problem?

The problem is SELF DISCIPLINE. Being strong feels great and it's very easy to want to step into the gym, get in an aggressive state of mind and load the bar every workout. BUT, The body needs to recuperate. If lifting heavier and heavier every week was the key to getting stronger, then we would all be lifting thousands and thousands of pounds. UNFORTUNATELY that's not reality. If this were in fact real, then sports science wouldn't exist...

Don't worry there is hope! The answer is called PERIODIZATION. Here is the definition of periodization: "A segmented program (generally blocks of training developed within a specified number of training season periods) with individual blocks oriented towards specific goals. For example an early season block is generally allocated to aerobic training. Many pros use the periodization approach to facilitate multiple peaks during a single season of competition."

The important thing to remember about periodization is changing your routine. Once you peak and hit a plateau it's vital to take some time off, train easy and then start another progressive system. So we have to start easy, build up, peak, take some easy weeks and repeat. This is how it works. And besides this is the only exciting way to make gains because without a system training is lost. A path without a system doesn't lead anywhere, other than to injury and burn out.

Best advice- Check out the Critical Bench program! Notice how the system starts out with mid reps and gradually goes down to singles! Then the program changes and gets more difficult every week! This is a very exciting program and when you finish the Critical Bench program, it's useful to train easy for 2 months or try another program along the side. Then you can try another program and incorporate your critical bench techniques into it! Critical Bench also gives you the best of Powerlifting and Bodybuilding, instead of focusing on just one or the other. Once you perform this progressive method and take control of your training, you will be motivated to train harder, smarter, overcome previous barriers and your training gains will take off.

Myth 5: If I Train Longer I Will Grow Faster

Do you remember when you first started training? Were you lifting the same muscle groups 3 times a week? Did you also find that every training day was a maxing day, until you found yourself getting weaker with a sharp pain in your arm? I remember, lifting everyday and getting weaker everyday. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was in denial. I knew muscles needed rest, but not to the extent that they truly require. Often times many younger people don't know this because they will get stronger no matter what they do. This happens because younger People are still growing. To sum it up:

The heavier we train the more rest our muscles will require. When you're lifting in the gym it actually makes you weaker, it tires you out and exhausts you. Once you stimulated the muscles, we don't want to tear them down with more exercises, sets and reps. Instead, we need to get out, eat and rest.

What makes us stronger is not when we train in the gym, but our body's response to our hard work when we're not in the gym.

Summary

Just remember in most cases elite bodybuilders are probably the last people you want to get advice from because they have fantastic genetics, and may be supplementing their training with a lot of bodybuilding drugs. If you're genetically average like 98% of us are, you're most likely going to gain valuable training information from others just like yourself. Stay focused, and hopefully you won't fall subject to the bodybuilding myths discussed in this article.
    Bodybuilding Myths

Overview: Whey Supplementation
    by Bryan Ruskin

Whey Protein: The Facts

What is Whey Protein and where does it come from?

Simply said, whey protein is derived from milk. Within milk there exists two forms of protein: casein, which makes up nearly 80% of the total protein in milk, and whey, the other 20%. Whey protein is a more soluble protein and is much richer in content than its less valuable, though more abundant brother, casein. Also, whey protein is abundant in branched-chain amino acids, which are vital to building and maintaining muscle tissue. During the process of extraction, whey protein is separated from its original compound during milk's transformation into cheese. The resulting product is pure whey protein/

Is there a difference between Whey Isolate and Whey Concentrate?

The difference between the two is actually quite large. Whey protein isolate contains 90% or more of pure whey protein and is its most highly concentrated form. Whey concentrate, on the other hand, typically contains only 25-89% of pure whey protein and also is known to possess additional fats and lactate within its formula. The difference in price between whey isolate and whey concentrate will be apparent to any buyer in the market for a protein supplement. While some may want to save money and invest in concentrate, the money kept is simply a trade off for a more than likely inferior protein product.

Why is Whey Protein important for those who work out?

When exercising, the goal is to break down muscle fibers and tissue so that they will regenerate stronger each time. In order for this regrowth to occur, however, the body must be equipped with the necessary nutrients it needs to perform its various functions. Whey protein assists in: building and repairing muscles and bones, repairing cells within the body, metabolic functions, etc. In a simple sense, whey protein and the amino acids it contains will bolster muscle recovery time and provide the body with the nutrients it needs to keep up with your gains in the gym.

How much Whey Protein should I take a day?

This will vary based on your age, size, and overall fitness goals. Typically those wish to build stronger and larger muscles will want to consume more than individuals who simply want to get into a lean, athletic shape. In any case, whey protein is beneficial to both parties.

Attention: The Dirty Dozen

What are "The Dirty Dozen"?

The 12 supplements that have been linked to serious adverse events or, in the case of glandular supplements, to strong theoretical risks. They're all readily available on the Web, where our shoppers bought them both individually and in multi-ingredient ?combination products.? We think it's wise to avoid all of them. But the strength of that warning varies with the strength of the evidence and the size of the risk. So we've divided the dirty dozen into three categories: definitely hazardous, very likely hazardous, and likely hazardous.

http://www.consumersunion.org/pdf/dirtydozen1.pdf

This is link is a news article and if you scroll down, you'll see a posting on the Dirty Dozen. This is not recent news folks...

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/328/7446/975-c.pdf

(CBS) Not all supplements are created equal, and in a May cover story in Consumer Reports magazine, researchers say they have identified 12 supplements that they are calling the "dirty dozen."

The questionable supplements are in products that are on the market, but consumers aren't aware of the unsafe ingredients. Jim Guest, president of Consumers Union, an independent, non-profit research and testing organization and publisher of Consumer Reports magazine, visited The Early Show to discuss three of the "dirty dozen" supplements.

Guest told co-anchor Rene Syler the following supplements may pose health dangers:

Aristolochic Acid: This supplement reportedly is a potent human carcinogen that also causes kidney failure, sometimes requiring transplant; and deaths.

This supplement can be found in pharmacies and health food stores. Guest says they ?often have the claim to be natural but that doesn?t make it safe. PMS-ease, for example, is one product. They claim to reduce chronic pain and PMS.?

Kava: Abnormal liver function or damage, often irreversible, plus deaths have been linked to the supplement, according to the report.

?Kava is supposed to be a tension relaxer,? Guest says. ?It?s been banned in five countries around the world already and the FDA has issued a warning.?

Bitter Orange: High blood pressure, increased risk of heart arrythmias, heart attack and stroke.

Products advertising themselves as "ephedra free" might have the bitter orange and could be dangerous. Guest notes, "'Ephedra-free' doesn?t make it safe.?

Guest says most vitamins and minerals are benign and they are the safest and most tested of supplements. But, based on investigating supplements that are banned in other countries and reports of adverse events that link the supplement to severe health problems, Consumer Reports is recommending those supplements be banned.

Consumers Union is also asking the FDA and Congress to adopt the science-based guidelines that the Institute of Medicine uses to evaluate the safety of dietary supplements.

How To Avoid Dangerous Supplements

* Stay away from the dirty dozen.

* Tell your doctor what supplements you are taking.

* Stay away from supplements for weight control.
    CBS News NEW YORK, April 2, 2004

Ten Basic Nutrition Rules To Live By

1. Choose the least processed forms of food, like fruits, veggies and whole grains.
    2. Eat BREAKFAST every day!
    3. Eat smaller portions more often (not applicable to those trying to gain!)
    4. Stay HYDRATED!
    5. Include a LEAN protein source with each meal.
    6. Choose foods, especially carbs, rich in FIBER (25-35g/day)
    7. Add a multi-vitamin into your daily routine.
    8. Eat fruits or veggies with each meal. Green vegetables are key!
    9. Drink carbohydrates and protein before, during and after your workout.
    10. Get some rest. The body recovers and repairs when it is sleeping.

Fish and Omega-3 Fatty Acids

AHA Recommendation
    Omega-3 fatty acids benefit the heart of healthy people, and those at high risk of or who have cardiovascular disease.

We recommend eating fish (particularly fatty fish) at least two times a week. Fish is a good source of protein and doesn’t have the high saturated fat that fatty meat products do. Fatty fish like mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna and salmon are high in two kinds of omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).

We also recommend eating tofu and other forms of soybeans, canola, walnut and flaxseed, and their oils. These contain alpha-linolenic acid (LNA), which can become omega-3 fatty acid in the body. The extent of this modification is modest and controversial, however. More studies are needed to show a cause-and-effect relationship between alpha-linolenic acid and heart disease.

The table below is a good guide to use for consuming omega-3 fatty acids.

Summary of Recommendations for Omega-3 Fatty Acid Intake

Population Recommendation

Patients without documented coronary heart disease (CHD) = Eat a variety of (preferably fatty) fish at least twice a week. Include oils and foods rich in alpha-linolenic acid (flaxseed, canola and soybean oils; flaxseed and walnuts).

Patients with documented CHD = Consume about 1 g of EPA+DHA per day, preferably from fatty fish. EPA+DHA in capsule form could be considered in consultation with the physician.

Patients who need to lower triglycerides = 2 to 4 grams of EPA+DHA per day provided as capsules under a physician's care.

Patients taking more than 3 grams of omega-3 fatty acids from capsules should do so only under a physician's care. High intakes could cause excessive bleeding in some people.

Background

In 1996 the American Heart Association released its Science Advisory, Fish Consumption, Fish Oil, Lipids and Coronary Heart Disease. Since then important new findings have been reported about the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids on cardiovascular disease. These include evidence from randomized, controlled clinical trials. New information has emerged about how omega-3 fatty acids affect heart function (including antiarrhythmic effects), hemodynamics (cardiac mechanics) and arterial endothelial function. These findings are outlined in our November 2002 Scientific Statement, Fish Consumption, Fish Oil, Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Cardiovascular Disease.?

The ways that omega-3 fatty acids reduce CVD risk are still being studied. However, research has shown that they

decrease risk of arrhythmias, which can lead to sudden cardiac death
    decrease triglyceride levels
    decrease growth rate of atherosclerotic plaque
    lower blood pressure (slightly)
    What do epidemiological and observational studies show?

Epidemiologic and clinical trials have shown that omega-3 fatty acids reduce CVD incidence. Large-scale epidemiologic studies suggest that people at risk for coronary heart disease benefit from consuming omega-3 fatty acids from plants and marine sources.

The ideal amount to take isn't clear. Evidence from prospective secondary prevention studies suggests that taking EPA+DHA ranging from 0.5 to 1.8 grams per day (either as fatty fish or supplements) significantly reduces deaths from heart disease and all causes. For alpha-linolenic acid, a total intake of 1.5-3 grams per day seems beneficial.

Randomized clinical trials have shown that omega-3 fatty acid supplements can reduce cardiovascular events (death, non-fatal heart attacks, non-fatal strokes). They can also slow the progression of atherosclerosis in coronary patients. However, more studies are needed to confirm and further define the health benefits of omega-3 fatty acid supplements for preventing a first or subsequent cardiovascular event. For example, placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized clinical trials are needed to document the safety and efficacy of omega-3 fatty acid supplements in high-risk patients (those with type 2 diabetes, dyslipidemia, hypertension and smokers) and coronary patients on drug therapy. Mechanistic studies on their apparent effects on sudden death also are needed.

Increasing omega-3 fatty acid intake through foods is preferable. However, coronary artery disease patients may not be able to get enough omega-3 by diet alone. These people may want to talk to their doctor about taking a supplement. Supplements also could help people with high triglycerides, who need even larger doses. The availability of high-quality omega-3 fatty acid supplements, free of contaminants, is an important prerequisite to their use.

http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4632

Vitamin C

Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is probably one of the most highly publicized, yet least understood, of all of the vitamins. Championed by Nobel laureate Linus Pauling, Ph.D., and advocated by many nutrition buffs, vitamin C is indeed a fascinating and important nutrient (or micronutrient) necessary for human life.
    In this edition of How Stuff Works, Dr. Jerry Gordon takes us on a fascinating tour of vitamin C, and shows why this vitamin is so important to your body!

The Basics

To understand vitamin C, we first need some information about vitamins in general. The word vitamin is derived from the combination of words: vital amine. Vitamins are organic (carbon containing) molecules that mainly function as catalysts for reactions within the body. A catalyst is a substance that allows a chemical reaction to occur using less energy and less time than it would take under normal conditions. If these catalysts are missing, as in a vitamin deficiency, normal body functions can break down and make a person susceptible to disease.

Vitamins are required by the body in tiny amounts (hundredths of a gram in many cases). We get vitamins from three sources:

Foods
    Beverages

Our own bodies
    - vitamin K comes from bacteria within our intestines and vitamin D is produced with the help of ultraviolet radiation on the skin.
    Vitamins are either fat-soluble or water-soluble. The fat-soluble vitamins can be remembered with the mnemonic ADEK, for the vitamins A, D, E, and K. These vitamins accumulate within the fat stores of the body and within the liver. Fat-soluble vitamins are often associated with toxicity when taken in large amounts. Water-soluble vitamins include vitamin C and the B vitamins. Water-soluble vitamins taken in excess are excreted in the urine and are not usually associated with toxicity. Both vitamin C and the B vitamins are also stored in the liver.
    It is interesting to note that most animals produce their own vitamin C. Man, primates (apes, chimps, etc.) and guinea pigs have lost this ability. Due to this similarity with man, guinea pigs have been subjected to experimentation over the years.

Why is Vitamin C important?

Vitamin C is important to all animals, including humans, because it is vital to the production of collagen. Vitamin C is also important because it helps protect the fat-soluble vitamins A and E as well as fatty acids from oxidation. Vitamin C prevents and cures the disease scurvy, and can be beneficial in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia.
    I have to confess that until I got to college, I had only a vague idea what collagen was, and why it was so important. Collagen is the most ubiquitous substance in the body because it is the most abundant of the fibers contained in connective tissue. Connective tissue gives our body form and supports our organs. To give you an idea of how important collagen is, here is a list of the five types of collagen, and where they are used in the body.

Type 1 - Connective tissue of skin, bone, teeth, tendons, ligaments, fascia, organ capsules
    Type 2 - Cartilage
    Type 3 - Connective tissue of our organs (liver, spleen, kidneys, etc.)
    Type 4, 5 - The separating layer between epithelial and endothelial cells as well as between skeletal or smooth muscle cells (basal lamina), kidney glomeruli, lens capsule, and Schwann and glial cells of the nervous system.
    As you can see, collagen is everywhere in the body, and vitamin C plays a role in the formation of collagen.

So, how is vitamin C involved in collagen synthesis?

When collagen is produced, there is a complex series of events, some occurring inside of the cell, and some outside of the cell. Vitamin C is active inside of the cell, where it hydroxylates (adds hydrogen and oxygen) to two amino acids: proline and lysine. This helps form a precursor molecule called procollagen that is later packaged and modified into collagen outside of the cell. Without vitamin C, collagen formation is disrupted, causing a wide variety of problems throughout the body. (see How Cells Work for more information about the biochemistry of cells.)

What happens if you don't get enough vitamin C?

A deficiency of vitamin C causes the disease Scurvy. Scurvy is rarely seen today except in alcoholics who receive their entire calorie intake from alcohol. Scurvy causes bleeding and inflamed gums, loose teeth, poor wound healing (purplish spots called petechiae), easy bruising, bumps of coiled hair on the arms and legs, pain in the joints, muscle wasting, and many other problems.
    It was a Scottish physician named James Lind back in 1753 that first advocated fresh vegetables and ripe fruits to prevent Scurvy. The British Navy adopted his advice some forty years later. The navy men were ever after nicknamed "Limeys" because they took limejuice on long sea voyages to ward off Scurvy.

What are good sources of vitamin C?

Vitamin C is found in citrus fruits such as oranges, limes, and grapefruit, and vegetables including tomatoes, green pepper, potatoes and many others. Vitamin C is easily damaged during the food preparation stage, such as during chopping, exposure to air, cooking, boiling, and being submerged in water. The amount of Vitamin C is high enough in most foods that the quantity that remains after processing is usually more than enough for a daily supply.

The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of vitamin C is 60 to 90 milligrams per day. Men should consume more vitamin C than women and individuals who smoke cigarettes are encouraged to consume 35 more mg of vitamin C than average adults. This is due to the fact that smoking depletes vitamin C levels in the body and is a catalyst for biological processes which damage cells. As little as 5-7 mg a day will prevent scurvy, and the average American gets about 72 mg a day.

It is interesting to note that Vitamin C is used as an inexpensive preservative in many processed foods, making deficiencies even more rare.

What about taking vitamin C supplements?

One way an individual can up their intake of vitamin C is through the consumption of vitamin C supplements. A report issued by the Food and Nutrition Board in 2000 sets the upper intake level for vitamin C at 2,000 mg a day for adults. This dosage recommendation includes vitamin C obtained from both the the consumption of food and supplements containing vitamin C.

Can Vitamin C cure a cold or cancer?

Nobel laureate Linus Pauling, Ph.D., in his last interview months before his death (April 1994), continued to advocate high doses (megadoses) of vitamin C to cure and prevent colds, prolong the lives of terminal cancer patients, and prevent other ailments. The basic premise of his avocation of vitamin C in these doses was that because man was one of the few animals that do not produce its own vitamin C, it is somehow a design flaw in our genetic make-up. He calculated that an average adult should need about 10-12 grams of vitamin C daily to prevent a wide range of ailments.
    Recent research has indicated that the intake of of antioxidants like vitamin C can prevent or counteract cell damage due to aging and exposure to antioxidants. However, studies have yet to prove that vitamin C's effectiveness at the cell level translates to the prevention of or cure for chronic diseases. High doses of vitamin C at the beginning of a cold has only been shown in some cases to reduce the severity of the symptoms to a modest degree, due to a mild antihistaminic effect. Vitamin C has not been shown to prevent the common cold. Similar high doses of vitamin C used for the treatment of cancer patients have not been found to be beneficial. For example, research done at the Mayo clinic in a double blind trial (neither the doctors or the patients knew who was given the high doses of vitamin C) revealed that those who received the vitamin C in the high doses actually did worse than those who got a placebo.

What's wrong with taking high doses of vitamin C?

Some people believe that because vitamin C is water-soluble, it is safe to take in high doses. While it is best to not exceed the recommended upper intake level of 2,000 mg a day, the most serious possible consequence of an intake above this dosage is diarrhea.

One myth about vitamin C is that it is an antioxidant, but that is not completely true. Vitamin C is a redox agent, meaning that it acts as an antioxidant in some cases, and an oxidant in others. Antioxidants are important because they inhibit chemical reactions with oxygen or highly reactive free radicals. These reactions (oxidation reactions), cause damage to cells. Vitamin C only acts as an antioxidant in some circumstances.

Vitamin C is an important part of a healthy diet. It is not a miracle drug, and may cause harm if taken in extreme excess. A well-balanced, varied diet will ensure that you receive more than enough vitamin C to prevent scurvy and other potential health problems.

Author
    Dr. Jerry Gordon

Are You Getting What You Pay For?
    by Paul Delia
    President, AST Sports Science
    (Note: *Although is was written by the President of AST Sports Science, I excluded any referencing to AST products and such. I feel this is great general information for the newbies out there and those that are uneducated about supplement quality and such. )

I hope I have given you a little insight into one ugly side of the supplement industry. There are other ugly sides as well and they hit you just as hard.

Supplement Quality: Do you get what you pay for?

This shouldn't even be an issue. When you lay down your money for a supplement you should get exactly what you pay for. It's a shame I have to waste time even writing about this, but it's a very big problem. There are so many supplements on the market that do not meet their label claims it's insidious. In fact, more supplements probably don't contain what their labels say than supplements that do. This is a real problem. If you knew a supplement didn't contain what the label said would you buy it?

There are several reasons this problem exists. The sports nutrition market is very competitive. There are a lot of products jockeying for the same dollar. In order to get an edge in the marketplace companies have to lower their prices to get the retail stores or customers to even consider buying them. So how can a company afford to lower their price and still make money to cover overhead and make a profit? You guessed it, they cut corners.

If a company can make a supplement and only put 80% of what the label says in the product they immediately give themselves a 20% margin advantage in which to price their supplements. 20% is a big margin in this business. They can sell their product for 20% less and still make the same profit as a legitimate company that produces true to label, quality products.

Guess what? This happens all the time. It's common practice among the no name brands and it's not uncommon in the larger, well known brands either. It's a cancer in this industry that totally rips off the consumer. This tells me two things about the companies that do this, they don't give a rat's fat ass about their products or about you.

Are You Getting What You Pay For? Continued...
    by Paul Delia
    President, AST Sports Science

How can you spot if you are being ripped off?
    This is the bad part. Aside from actually testing the supplement you really can't tell. Unless the actual supplement is tested by a certified laboratory you're just going to have to trust your supplier and the manufacturer.

This problem is primarily manifested out of greed and total disregard for the consumer. I remember a few years ago we tested some whey protein from two different companies - Sci-Fit and American Sports Nutrition. The results: These were two of the worst protein supplements we have ever tested. They each came up below 50% of what their label claimed. The labels said 25 grams of protein per serving and they actually tested out to contain less than 13 grams per serving.

Can you believe that? You're buying a protein supplement and you think you're getting 25 grams per serving, but really getting somewhere around 12 grams! Friends, as a consumer this is what you are up against.

Here's an even more pathetic problem. I remember after testing these two particular protein powders we contacted the stores that were selling them to let them know how they tested. And guess what? This really blew me away. They didn't care! The store owners did not care! Can you believe that? Because they were making such great margins on these products (Of course they were, they contained less than half what should have been in there.) they could care less what the tests revealed. Even when they were showed the tests they still did not care. This attitude makes it even tougher on the customer.

If the store where you buy your supplements doesn't care what the quality of the supplements are they sell you, then you are in real trouble
    And to make matters worse, these types of stores push these products because they are making larger margins. They are selling it to you cheaper and still putting more money in their pocket. You leave the store thinking you've just got a great deal when what you really got was stuck right in the ass.

Building muscle is tough enough, but combine that with the fraud perpetrated by the magazine/supplement company connections and the poor quality and mislabeled supplements the uncaring companies and store owners are selling and it's a depressing situation.

Acknowledging Quality Supplements

Compared to pharmaceutical drugs, dietary supplements can be considered sage, even in the worse-case scenario. Still, because the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act, or better known as the DSHEA, was passed 5 years ago, the dietary supplement industry in the United States and Canada has become wide open. There's less regulation and there are more product claims than there have been in nearly 70 years. Manufacturers can make claims regarding the structure or function of an organ. For example manufacturers can claim that an herb "maintains cardiovascular health" or "helps "support healthy immune function." DSHEA disallows disease claims, such as "lowers high cholesterol" or "relieves the pain of arthritis."

With this wide-open climate come some less-than-ideal situations. Some manufacturers are selling new supplements that do not have ample testing to determine their long-tern safety. For example, when taken in therapeutic doses, DHEA, pregnenolone, and 5-HTP and amino acids like L-carnitine do not have a lot of safety data to their credit. Scientists are still scrutinizing some vitamins, minerals, and new substances sold in natural food stores and pharmacies to try to determine more about thie safety and efficacy, so you need to be careful about which supplements you use, and take fantastical product claims with a grain of salt.

The dietary supplement has an excellent safety record overall. General rule of the thumb: You can count on the safety and purity of the supplements you take, especially when you stick to the brands that have been in the marketplace for years and have a reputation to protect. Considering that about half to two-thirds of the peoplein the United States take dietary supplements on a regular basis, the small number of reported side effects is remarkable.

Most companies are not eager to talk about the soures of their ingredients and understandbly so. For some companies, many of their ingredients are simply the cheapest available. And unless a company actually tests its products in an independant laboratory, you provingthat they contain what they say they contain is impossible - you have to take the company's word.

Established and high-profiled companies have a huge stake in the quality of their products. Many commpanies could not survive a scandal if their products were discovered to contain substandard or adulterated ingredients, especially in today's ultra-competitive marketplace.

Some small companies also make good-quality products, but generally only if they were founded by a nutritionist, scientist, or herbalist who really cares about the products. Today, there are many marketing companies whose only goal is to make money.

Expectations regarding product quality are rising continually.
    Competitiveness is a force that produces better products in every industry.

You want to get an effective product and a good value for your money but price not always the best way to judge a cost-effective prpduct. How many times have you bought a supplement, take the product ofr a few days, and then stopped because you wanted results too soon? Do you have products on your vitamin shelf that are mostly unused and still sitting there after a year or more?

Don't choose a product on price alone. The cheapest products are likely to be just that - cheap. On the other hand, you're likely to pay for the brand name if you buy the most expensive product in a category. Instead, choose a few brands by reputation, word of mouth, or a recommendation from a store-owner. If the product works for you, stick with it. Brand loyalty allows a company to develop good products and respond to your needs. We discourage jumoing from brand to brand based on the fluctuating prices or good deals, because you may be giving up an effective product for a cheaper one that doesn't work.

Get info about the products you take. Read the brochures from the companies whose supplements you choose. Call the company and talk with a rep. Ask companies where their raw materials come from and what kinds of testing they do. Do your homework, you'll gain the reward of better products at a better price.

Don't be too influenced by advertising. We've seen big advertising money spent on products that are not as good as those from local companies with no advertising budget.

Oral arginine attenuates the growth hormone response to resistance exercise
    S. R. Collier, E. Collins, and J. A. Kanaley

Department of Exercise Science, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York

Submitted 7 March 2006 ; accepted in final form 23 May 2006

Caffeine counteracts the ergogenic action of muscle creatine loading

This study investigated the combined effect of resistance exercise and arginine ingestion on spontaneous growth hormone (GH) release. Eight healthy male subjects were studied randomly on four separate occasions [placebo, arginine (Arg), placebo + exercise (Ex), arginine + exercise (Arg+Ex)]. Subjects had blood sampled every 10 min for 3.5 h. After baseline sampling (30 min), subjects ingested a 7-g dose of arginine or placebo (blinded, randomly assigned). On the exercise days, the subject performed 3 sets of 9 exercises, 10 repetitions at 80% one repetition maximum. Resting GH concentrations were similar on each study day. Integrated GH area under the curve was significantly higher on the Ex day (508.7 ? 169.6 min?ng/ml; P < 0.05) than on any of the other study days. Arg+Ex (260.5 ? 76.8 min?ng/ml) resulted in a greater response than the placebo day but not significantly greater than the Arg day. The GH half-life and half duration were not influenced by the stimulus administered. The GH secretory burst mass was larger, but not significantly, on the Arg, Ex, and Arg+Ex day than the placebo day. Endogenous GH production rate (Ex > Arg+Ex > Arg > placebo) was greater on the Ex and Arg+Ex day than on the placebo day (P < 0.05) but there were no differences between the Ex and Arg+Ex day. Oral arginine alone (7 g) stimulated GH release, but a greater GH response was seen with exercise alone. The combined effect of arginine before exercise attenuates the GH response. Autonegative feedback possibly causes a refractory period such that when the two stimuli are presented there will be suppression of the ****totrope.

Just to highlight a few points:

1) Creatine was administered in 8 equal doses split throughout the day.
    2) Caffeine was administered in a single dose following breakfast.
    3) The participants followed a standardized diet with a 18/50/32 macronutrient breakdown.

It should also be noted that this study corresponds to around 50g and 500mg of Cr/C respectively for a 100kg individual. This is a significant dose of creatine to be rendered useless by the caffeine.

Bad news for the majority of pre-workout supplements out on the market

verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Mods, stickify this thread, there's some good info here.
    True observation begins when one is devoid of set patterns

Silverback #1

Love
    It can move one's heart to see a young couple romantically enthralled with each other. But the heart becomes deeply sad just a few months later - to see their paralyzing dependence on one another.

The more intense has been the religion of any period and the more profound has been the dogmatic belief, the greater has been the cruelty and the worse has been the state of affairs

Can you Drink Alcohol and Still Maintain a Good Body?

by Zach Bashore

"Almost everyone loves having a good time and what do these good times usually revolve around? You guessed it, alcohol. Even the serious bodybuilders get tempted to drink and have a good time, but should he or she drink or not? The answer will vary on the person and how educated he or she is on recovery from drinking alcohol and knowing what alcohol does to the body.

Nutrient wise, alcohol contains seven calories per gram, which is three calories higher than carb and protein sources. The calories that come from alchol are mostly sugars and very little protein. Even low carb beers contain around 100 calories even thought they only have about two and a half grams of carbs and half a gram of protein. A twelve ounce wine cooler contains 180 calories, a two ounce strawberry daiquiri contains 110 calories, so alcohol is very calorie dense.

Although alcohol is absorbed rapidly, it is metabolized very slowly and can have a negative effect on athletic performance. If an athlete consumes as little as two or three drinks fourty-eight hours prior to his or her performance, the athlete will suffer from impaired reaction time, decreased strength, and impaired hand/eye coordination. Alcohol will also increase fatigue, interfere with body temperature, cause dehydration, impact cellular repair, deplete aerobic capacity, disrupt sleep, and cause vitamin and mineral depletion.

Most adults who drink alcohol consume reasonable amounts but there always those who drink irresponsibly. These irresponsible people increase their risk of illness, injury, and are more likely to have drinking problems than the responsible drinkers. Alcohol abuse can cause significant harm to a person`s health and completely destroy a person`s life. If you decide to drink, it`s very important that you know if your drinking patterns are risky, safe, or even harmful.

We are only human and need to have a good time every now and then. Some people could not live with the thought of never being able to touch alcohol while others would find it very easy. Drinking is okay if you keep it in moderation. However, don`t let it control you and let it become who you are. Alcoholism is not fun. I've been through it and seen many of my friends fade away because of it. Just be careful."

Tribulus Ineffective?

1: J Ethnopharmacol. 2005 Oct 3;101(1-3):319-23. Related Articles, Links

The aphrodisiac herb Tribulus terrestris does not influence the androgen production in young men.

Neychev VK, Mitev VI.

Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Medical University, 2 Zdrave str., Sofia-1431, Bulgaria. neychev@dir.bg

OBJECTIVE: The aim of the current study is to investigate the influence of Tribulus terrestris extract on androgen metabolism in young males. DESIGN AND METHODS: Twenty-one healthy young 20-36 years old men with body weight ranging from 60 to 125 kg were randomly separated into three groups-two experimental (each n=7) and a control (placebo) one (n=7). The experimental groups were named TT1 and TT2 and the subjects were assigned to consume 20 and 10 mg/kg body weight per day of Tribulus terrestris extract, respectively, separated into three daily intakes for 4 weeks. Testosterone, androstenedione and luteinizing hormone levels in the serum were measured 24 h before supplementation (clear probe), and at 24, 72, 240, 408 and 576 h from the beginning of the supplementation. RESULTS: There was no significant difference between Tribulus terrestris supplemented groups and controls in the serum testosterone (TT1 (mean+/-S.D.: 15.75+/-1.75 nmol/l); TT2 (mean+/-S.D.: 16.32+/-1.57 nmol/l); controls (mean+/-S.D.: 17.74+/-1.09 nmol/l) (p>0.05)), androstenedione (TT1 (mean+/-S.D.: 1.927+/-0.126 ng/ml); TT2 (mean+/-S.D.: 2.026+/-0.256 ng/ml); controls (mean+/-S.D.: 1.952+/-0.236 ng/ml) (p>0.05)) or luteinizing hormone (TT1 (mean+/-S.D.: 4.662+/-0.274U/l); TT2 (mean+/-S.D.: 4.103+/-0.869U/l); controls (mean+/-S.D.: 4.170+/-0.406U/l) (p>0.05)) levels. All results were within the normal range. The findings in the current study anticipate that Tribulus terrestris steroid saponins possess neither direct nor indirect androgen-increasing properties. The study will be extended in the clarifying the probable mode of action of Tribulus terrestris steroid saponins.

Publication Types:

* Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 15994038 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Squatting Help:

Teaching the Squat - Liftism

How to execute the Back Squat lift

(This link also has a few other vids demonstrating other Olympic lifts):
    GAYLE HATCH :: broadband video channel

The Big Three (Bench-Deadlift-Squat):

TeenBodybuilding.com - Derek Charlebois - The Big Three - Squat, Deadlift, Bench.

Deadlifting Help:

Barbell Deadlift

Testosterone Nation - Deadlift Diagnosis

Bent over BB Row Help:

http://www.criticalbench.com/exercis...bell-rows.html

Leucine Regulates Translation Initiation of Protein Synthesis in Skeletal Muscle after Exercise

http://ironarena.com/forum/attachmen...5&d=1177892408
    Last edited by dannyboy9; 05-21-2007 at 09:11 AM.

Alpha-lipoic acid
    Professor Scott Powers, Center for Exercise Science, University of Florida

• Alpha-lipoic acid is a natural substance found in many common foods (i.e. spinach, potatoes, etc.).

• Used as an antioxidant and may facilitate glucose transport. Claims include that alpha-lipoic acid can be used to treat type II diabetes and can reduce damage to the heart during a heart attack

• There is growing evidence to indicate that dietary supplementation with alpha-lipoic acid is useful in the treatment of some type II diabetics.

• Further, animal studies suggest that dietary supplementation with alpha-lipoic acid can reduce myocardial injury during a heart attack.

• Moderate supplementation with alpha-lipoic acid is considered to be relatively safe and well tolerated by most healthy adults.

• Alpha-lipoic acid is a legal substance and its use is permitted by sports governing bodies.

Name
    Alpha-lipoic acid

Description
    Alpha-lipoic acid is a naturally occurring compound that serves as a co-factor for enzyme complexes and participates in numerous biological chemical reactions. Alpha-lipoic acid can be synthesized in the body and is contained in a variety of common foods including spinach and potatoes.

Usage
    Interest in alpha-lipoic acid as a dietary supplement has grown rapidly during the past decade. Indeed, it is now a common nutritional supplement in the US. It has been argued that alpha-lipoic supplementation may reduce the normal cellular damage due to free radical attacks and may also reduce the risk of cardiac injury during a heart attack. Further, it has been used as a therapeutic agent to treat type II diabetes.

Prevalence
    Prevalence rates and incidence of use of lipoic by athletes and consumers are unknown. However, the annual sales of alpha-lipoic supplements in the United States have grown markedly during the past five years.

Chemical Mechanism
    Alpha-lipoic acid plays an essential role in mitochondrial dehydrogenase reactions and has recently gained considerable attention as an antioxidant. The biological impact on human health continues to be investigated. However, a primary benefit of alpha-lipoic acid comes from its antioxidant properties. As an antioxidant, it scavenges free radicals and interacts with vitamin C and glutathione. Collectively, these actions reduce the potential for oxidative damage in tissues. Reduction of oxidative damage to tissues has been postulated to slow the aging process, and reduce the risk of cataracts, heart disease, and cancer.

Clinical Evidence
    The efficacy of alpha-lipoic acid as a treatment for diabetes has been investigated primarily through animal studies although there is a growing number of human studies appearing in the clinical literature. Based upon the current literature, it appears that supplementation with alpha-lipoic acid improves glucose regulation in type II diabetics.

Scientific Research
    Numerous animal studies indicate that supplementation with alpha-lipoic acid may have beneficial effects in the treatment of type II diabetes. Further, growing evidence indicates that supplementation can protect against myocardial injury during a heart attack.

Administration
    Alpha-lipoic acid is typically taken orally in capsule form.

Dosage
    At present, the National Research Council has not proposed a recommended daily allowance (RDA) for alpha-lipoic acid. Alpha-lipoic acid is probably not toxic to most healthy adults when consumed in amounts of less than 200 mg/day.

Contraindications
    There are few (if any) contraindications for alpha-lipoic acid supplementation.

Precautions/Warnings
    To date, there are few (if any) reported harmful interactions between alpha-lipoic acid and other common nutritional supplements.

Banned/Permitted
    Neither the International Olympic Committee nor the U.S. Olympic Committee currently includes alpha-lipoic acid on their lists of banned substances.

Legality
    Alpha-lipoic acid is a legal substance and can be purchased at a variety of commercial outlets in the US and around the World.

References[LIST=1][*]Coombes, J.S. Powers, et al. Effect of combined supplementation with vitamin E and alpha-lipoic acid on myocardial performance during in vivo ischemia-reperfusion. Acta Physiologica Scandanavica. 169: 261-269, 2000.[*]Packer, L., Witt, E., and Tritschler H. Alpha lipoic acid as a biological antioxidant. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 19: 227-250, 1995.[*]Powers, S. and Hamilton K. Antioxidants and exercise. Clinics in Sports Medicine. 18:525-536, 1999 .[*]Powers, S. and Lennon, S. Analysis of cellular responses to free radicals: focus on exercise and skeletal muscle. Proccedings of the Nutrition Society. 58: 1025-1033, 1999.[*]Powers, S. and Sen, C. Physiological antioxidants and Exercise Training. In: Exercise and Oxygen Toxicity. (C. Sen and L. Packer, Eds.) Elesevier Press, Amsterdam. pp. 221-241, 2000.[*]Wardlaw, G. Contemporary Nutrition. McGraw-Hill, St. Louis, MO. 2000.

About the Author
    Scott Powers is a Professor and the Director for the Center for Exercise Science at the University of Florida.

Top 10 Minerals for Bodybuilders

This article was featured in Flex Magazine, April 1995 issue. It was written by Bob Lefavi, and Timothy C. Fritz. Bob Lefavi, PhD, is an assistant professor in Georgia Southern University's graduate health science program, located at Armstrong State College, Savannah, Georgia. He was the 1990 IFBB North American bantamweight champ, and was runner up in the 1989 USA, and 1992 Nationals in that weight class. Timothy C. Fritz, B. Nutr. Sc., is a graduate research assistant in Georgia Southern University's exercise science program in Statesboro, Georgia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What every bodybuilder should know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know all those monsters you see in the magazines month after month, the ones you've been working your butt off to look like? Well, take heart. The fact is, they don't train much differently than any of us mortals do.

Ok, sure, they probably work out with heavier weights and more likely than not are genetically gifted for bodybuilding, but if you get a chance to hang around the greatest athletes in the sport, you come to realize that it's their concern for the little things, like dietary and training details, that separates them from the average Joe in the gym.

These details include really warming up before a workout, actually weighing food, planning the day's meal in advance and so on. From studying many of these athletes, it's easy to conclude that this attention to seemingly insignificant minutiae is what makes great bodybuilders stand out from the rest.

For instance, when was the last time you gave any thought to your dietary mineral intake? No, I don't mean popping a few supplements occasionally, I mean really taking a good look at the level of minerals in your diet. If it's been a while, you're not alone.

Many bodybuilders give little thought to those elements in their diets that don't provide calories. That's a big mistake, because your diet contains plenty of vital components that do more than just provide energy, like supporting muscle tissue, enhancing growth, etc. In fact, these nutrients, called micronutrients, may be more important for bodybuilders than calorie producing nutrients precisely because of these other physiological functions.

The purpose of this article is to review the top 10 dietary minerals from a bodybuilding perspective. Will it really make a difference for you to become familiar with this stuff? Not if you're as muscular as you want to be. After all, these are just the little things.

When considering how important a dietary mineral is in bodybuilding, we can look at the sport's nutrition research to answer at least one of four questions.

Is the mineral directly involved in muscle action, protein synthesis, or the integrity of the muscle cell.
    Does exercise result in an increased requirement of that nutrient for an athlete?
    Do athletes typically have suboptimal intakes of that mineral?
    Does dietary supplementation with that mineral improve performance and growth?
    With these questions in mind, we can now review the minerals that best promote increases in strength and growth. Here is our list, in reverse order.

10. Potassium

This mineral is an important electrolyte found within muscle cells and works closely with sodium to regulate body water levels. As well, Potassium plays a critical role in facilitating the electrical potentials across nerve and muscle cells that result in muscle contraction. Potassium is even involved in glycogen storage (for high intensity muscular energy). A poor potassium / sodium balance can lead to improper fluid levels, dehydration, muscle cramps and weakness. Fortunately, dietary intake of potassium is generally not a problem for most people, but bodybuilders should become familiar with its role and the foods where it can be found.

9. Copper

The trace mineral Copper may soon prove more vital to bodybuilders than was previously thought. It's included in this list not because of its involvement in oxygen transport and utilization (as well as many enzymatic reactions, not the least of which is helping in the production of noradrenaline) but because Copper has been shown to increase in the bloodstream during intense exercise. This fact leads to the conclusion that copper plays a direct role in high intensity muscular work such as bodybuilding, and that there may be conditions under which some bodybuilders ingest suboptimal amounts. Although most folks probably do take in enough copper, it's a good idea to monitor your copper intake. You'll likely hear more about this mineral in the future.

8. Vanadium

This is a nonelectrolyte mineral that has received much recent attention in the bodybuilding community due to the perceived effects of one of its salt forms, vanadyl sulfate. Vanadium is to sea creature what iron is to humans; it makes a jellyfish's blood green like iron makes our blood red. Although the vast majority of research on Vanadium supplementation has been carried out on diabetic rats, the published results tend to show a promising glycogen storing effect on muscle tissue. This may explain the subjective analysis of some bodybuilders who swear the feel 'harder' after taking vanadyl sulfate. Problem is, we really don't know much yet about vanadyl sulfate's effects on athletic performance. Nor do we know much about the long term effects of supplementation with vanadium salt, but there is a theoretical mechanism of action and at least some promise.

7. Iron

You may be aware that the mineral Iron is a constituent of hemoglobin and is responsible for oxygen transport and, indirectly, subsequent oxidative energy production. What does this have to do with bodybuilding? Well, your ability to recover between sets is related to the efficiency of your aerobics system. The more oxygen you can supply to your working muscles, the quicker your muscles can recover in time for another hard set.

Moreover, Iron is particularly critical for female bodybuilders. Women lose some Iron in their menstrual flow every month. As well, female weight trainers, who typically don't consume much red meat, which is high in iron, may not readily replace vulnerable iron stores. Therefore, female bodybuilders run the risk of anemia if they're not careful about iron intake.

6. Phosphorus

A mineral that is present in the body in large amounts, phosphorus is directly linked to exercise metabolism since it produces high energy molecules such as Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP) and Creatine Phosphate. Phosphorus works in conjunction with Calcium, so it's important to keep phosphorus and calcium intakes close to a 1:1 ration; an imbalance creates a potential nutrition problem. Of further interest, phosphorus supplementation has been shown to decrease blood lactic acid levels during exercise.

5. Sodium

As most bodybuilders know, Sodium is an electrolyte that plays a vital role in the regulation of body fluids. The level of sodium in the body determines the amount of water the body will 'hold', and high intakes can cause body tissues to swell. (It is not uncommon to look like 'Quasibloato' and be up to two pounds heavier the morning after scarfing down a Big Mac and large fries.) Although a normal diet usually contains a reasonable amount of sodium, be careful not to limit sodium intake too much at contest time to get an ultra shredded look. An excessively low sodium intake turns on protective mechanisms within the body that cause sodium and water retention. Finally, keep in mind that sodium plays a major role in resistance training; its function in nerve impulse transmission and muscular contraction is critical to bodybuilders. Dietary sodium isn't all that bad, it's having the right amount that's important.
    Last edited by dannyboy9; 05-21-2007 at 09:19 AM.

4. Chromium

The trace element Chromium is the key part of glucose tolerance factor, a substance that help insulin bind to its receptors on tissues. In other words, Chromium help insulin do its job of transporting glucose, amino acids and fatty acids into cells. Athletes probably need more Chromium than nonathletes, but whether chromium is truly anabolic is a bone of contention among scientists. The fact is that chromium appears to help glucose metabolism and probably helps in lipid metabolism but has not yet been clearly established to increase lean body mass. Claims of ripped, freakish physiques from chromium supplementation are premature, to say the least. However, this mineral weighs in at number four because athletes must become more familiar with its role in physiology.

3. Zinc

Think Zinc for growth. That's right, the mineral zinc is involved in virtually all phases of growth. Even more critical for bodybuilders, studies have shown that high intensity exercise stimulates excessive zinc loss. Further, diets of some athletes have been found to be low in zinc. This potential double edged sword, excess loss coupled with possible low intakes, moves zinc into our number three position. If you're not mindful of your zinc intake, your growth may be stymied.

2. Calcium

The most abundant mineral in the body, Calcium is the second most important mineral for bodybuilders. There are several reasons for this.

Bodybuilders may have difficulty maintaining the needed 1:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio. First, many lifters try to avoid dairy products (containing calcium) because of a relatively unfounded fear that they will 'smooth them out'. Second, a typical bodybuilding diet is high in protein, meaning that it's also high in phosphorus (further throwing off this ratio) and causes excess amounts of calcium to be excreted in urine.

Calcium is the primary mineral involved in muscular contraction (ever head of calcium ions in the 'sliding filament theory of muscular contraction'?)

The structural stress from weight training requires a steady supply of calcium to maintain high bone density.

Female athletes need to be especially careful of their dietary calcium intake, as low estrogen levels can contribute to decreased calcium absorption and increased calcium loss. Also, keep in mind that Vitamin D help with calcium absorption, making vitamin D fortified dairy products a good source of this mineral.

1. Magnesium

Magnesium takes the number one spot not only because it has a theoretical mechanism of action (a plausible way it can help bodybuilders) but also due to recent studies identifying the performance enhancing benefits of magnesium supplementation.

Magnesium's role in bodybuilding revolves around energy production and protein synthesis. Studies on many different types of athletes have revealed excessive magnesium losses in sweat. Unfortunately, bodybuilders probably don't make up for these losses in their diets, as many food high in magnesium (nuts, legumes, etc) do not typically top a bodybuilder's grocery list.

Brilla and Haley from Western Washington University in Bellingham recently published the results of a research study in which magnesium supplemented lifters exerted greater quadriceps force that unsupplemented lifters. Considering magnesium's role in bodybuilding, factors leading to a possible suboptimal magnesium status in athletes and results of research such as this, it's not hard to see why so many sports nutrition specialists working with strength / power athletes are excited about magnesium's potential.

Conclusion

One word of caution. Minerals are critical for peak performance. However, overdosing on one or all of these elements can spell disaster. Too much of one mineral can cause a functional imbalance of another mineral or cause negative side effects without the original benefits. Too much zinc, for example, can lead to problems with lowered HDL levels (the 'good' cholesterol). The bottom line is to make sure you get what you need and not to megadose.

Remember, minerals may be more important for athletes than many of the nutrients that provide calories precisely because of their often unique physiological functions. In particular, these 10 minerals may prove especially critical for bodybuilders because of their nutritional status for athletes and their roles in growth, energy production and muscular contraction. Don't brush off these critical dietary components. After all, it's the little things that count.
    Last edited by dannyboy9; 05-21-2007 at 09:18 AM.

Top 10 Vitamins for Bodybuilders

This article was featured in Flex Magazine, May 1995 issue. It was written by Bob Lefavi, and Timothy C. Fritz. Bob Lefavi, PhD, is an assistant professor in Georgia Southern University's graduate health science program, located at Armstrong State College, Savannah, Georgia. He was the 1990 IFBB North American bantamweight champ, and was runner up in the 1989 USA, and 1992 Nationals in that weight class. Timothy C. Fritz, B. Nutr. Sc., is a graduate research assistant in Georgia Southern University's exercise science program in Statesboro, Georgia.

The Metabolic Spark Plugs

One of the most confusing issues for any athlete is supplementation. What to take, how much, when to take it, blah, blah, blah. Figuring out a supplementation regimen can be so frustrating at times that it becomes easy to lose sight of the forest for the trees, to forget the purpose of supplementation and to overlook exactly what makes successful bodybuilding.

It's sometimes easy to forget that the cells in our bodies, particularly muscle cells, rely on certain biochemical reactions for proper metabolism, growth and maintenance. These reactions, in turn, depend upon specific vitamins to help catalyze, or facilitate, their actions.

Without these vitamins, nothing happens. Even if only one of these critical substances is deficient, a bodybuilder's progress can be stifled without warning. Virtually every energy production or muscle growth process we rely on so heavily (and that we sometimes take for granted) is dependent upon, in one way or another, a vitamin.

Making matters more critical is the fact that bodybuilders are notorious for overlooking vitamins because these nutrients don't supply energy like carbohydrates, proteins and fats do. But that doesn't mean they aren't important. Without vitamins, muscle mass would decay, bone density would deteriorate and all systems of the body would begin to fail.

Vitamin Variables

Vitamins can be divided into two broad categories: fat-soluble and water-soluble. Fat-soluble vitamins (A,D,E, and K) are so named because they are stored in the body's fatty tissue and do not have to be replenished daily. But be careful: Because they are stored, overdoes of these vitamins can lead to toxicity.

The water-soluble vitamins (with the exception of vitamin C) are composed entirely of the B and B-complex vitamins, including Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Pyridoxine (B6), Folate, Cobalamin (B12), Biotin and Pantothenic Acid. Because these vitamins are water soluble and thus have difficulty entering fatty tissues, they aren't stored in the body and excessive amounts are excreted. And while this means toxicity is generally not a problem, these vitamins must be continually included in a bodybuilder's diet.

Questions to Ask

How important is it to know this stuff? Just ask any pro bodybuilder who must continually analyze his or her diet to ensure it contains these critical components. A bodybuilder, when considering how important a dietary vitamin is, asks at least one of the four following questions.

Is the vitamin directly involved in muscle action, protein synthesis or the integrity of muscle cells?
    Does exercise result in an increased requirement of the nutrient?
    Do athletes typically have suboptimal intakes of the vitamins?
    Does dietary supplementation with the vitamin improve performance and/or growth?

This is Flex Magazine's Top 10 Vitamins for Bodybuilders, in reverse order.

10. Cobalamin (vitamin B12)

Although the functions of vitamin B12 are numerous, those important to bodybuilders include carbohydrate metabolism and maintenance of nervous system tissue (the spinal cord and nerves that carry signals from the brain to muscle tissues). Stimulation of muscles via nerves is a critical step in the contraction, coordination and growth of muscles.

Vitamin B12 is available only from foods of animal origin; therefore,it is very important for athletes following a strict vegetarian diet to consult a physician about vitamin B12 supplementation. In fact, B12 shots are popular with countless athletes, vegetarians and nonvegetarians alike, many of who swear it helps them perform better.

9. Biotin

Although there's a limited amount of sports nutrition research on Biotin, it makes our top 10 list because it has critical functions in amino acid metabolism and the production of energy from many sources. It also may be one vitamin that some bodybuilders have trouble when attempting to maintain an adequate supply.

The reason bodybuilders may have difficulty with Biotin is because it can be blocked by a substance called Avidin. Avidin is found in raw egg whites, a staple for many athletes. In fact, bodybuilders who eat raw egg whites or who don;t cook egg white well enough may experience growth problems with Biotin deficiency if their egg white consumption approaches 20 per day. Eating raw eggs can also lead to a bacterial infection called Salmonella, which can have severe health consequences.

8. Riboflavin (vitamin B2)

Riboflavin is involved in energy production in three areas: 1) Glucose metabolism, 2) Oxidation of fatty acids, and 3) The shuttling of hydrogen ions through the Krebs cycle. Of particular interest to bodybuilders, Riboflavin is somewhat related to protein metabolism. In fact, there is a strong relationship between lean body mass and dietary riboflavin.

One study by Belko and colleagues found that females needed higher than RDA levels of Riboflavin to return blood levels of Riboflavin to normal after exercise. Another study by Haralambie showed that Riboflavin supplementation improved muscular hyperexcitability (seen in trained athletes). This vitamin may prove to be especially important for athletes.

7. Vitamin A

Most of us know that vitamin A helps with vision, but bodybuilders need to become familiar with its other benefits. First of all, vitamin A is important in the synthesis of protein, the chief process of muscle growth. Second, vitamin A is involved in the production of Glycogen, the body's storage form of energy for high intensity performance.

The problem with vitamin A status in bodybuilders is twofold. First, American diets are consistently measured to be low in vitamin A. Second, both strenuous physical activity (which disrupts the absorption of vitamin A) and a low fat diet (which renders vitamin A loss in feces) jeopardize the level of vitamin A in the body. So be especially careful of your vitamin A intake during contest preparation.

6. Vitamin E

Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant, meaning it protects the cell's membranes. This is important because many of the metabolic processes that take place in the body, including the recuperation and growth of muscle cells, are dependent upon health cell membranes.

You've probably heard a lot about antioxidants in the news lately, and research continues to validate their importance. Specifically, antioxidants help to reduce the number of free radicals in the body. Free radicals are natural byproducts of cellular respiration, but accumulation of free radicals can lead to cellular changes and destruction (even cancer), rendering cells unable to adapt normally. This means a reduction in exercise induced processes in the cell such as repair and growth.

5. Niacin (vitamin B3)

This vitamin is involved in nearly 60 metabolic processes related to energy production and ranks high for bodybuilders by virtue of its critical importance in providing training fuel (no train, no gain)! The bad news is that high levels of Niacin have been found in the blood of athletes after exercise, suggesting that athletes may need more niacin than nonathletes. On the other hand, the good news is that even if a diet is low in Niacin, the body can make it from the amino acid tryptophan, which is found in abundance in turkey meat.

Bodybuilders are familiar with the form of Niacin known as nicotine acid, which causes vasodilation and may help a competitor look more vascular before going onstage. But this form of Niacin shouldn't be used during training; large doses of nicotinic acid (50 - 100 mg) significantly impairs the body's ability to mobilize and burn fat.

4. Vitamin D

Vitamin D plays a crucial role in the absorption of Calcium and Phosphorus. Calcium is necessary for muscular contraction. If adequate stores of Calcium are not available in the muscle, full, hard muscular contractions cannot be sustained. Of course, Calcium is also needed for the integrity of bones, which must support increased muscle tissue and provide an anchor during muscular contraction.

And don't forget about Phosphorus. Phosphorus helps provide quick, powerful muscular contractions, which comprise the majority of movements during weight training. Phosphorus is also required for the synthesis of ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate), the high energy molecule used by your muscle cells during contraction.

This nutrient is high in the list since bodybuilders typically avoid the fat content, e.g., dairy foods. Look for vitamin D fortified foods and get in the habit of drinking at least one glass of low-fat or nonfat milk per day.

3. Thiamine (vitamin B1)

This B vitamin packs muscle! Thiamine is one of the vitamins required for protein metabolism and growth. It's also involved in the formation of hemoglobin, a protein found in red blood cells that transports oxygen throughout the body (especially working muscles). The transport of oxygen is critical to athletic performance and becomes even more important as intensity and duration of exercise increase.

Making matters more interesting, Thiamine, according to research, is one of the few vitamins that enhances performance when supplemented and is increasingly needed by athletes. Not only that, but Thiamine requirements appear to be directly related to caloric expenditure. The more exercise frequency, intensity and duration increase, the more Thiamine is needed.

2. Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)

Protein metabolism, growth and carbohydrate utilization are all made possible in part by the presence of vitamin B6. Like Thiamine, studies on Pyridoxine in athletic performance show a definite increased need for athletes and possible performance enhancement from supplementation.

The vitamin makes the number two spot for a very good reason: It's the only vitamin directly tied to protein intake. The more protein you eat, the more Pyridoxine you need. Of course, this, coupled with Pyridoxine's role in growth, had profound implications for bodybuilders, though it is generally not known or discussed in sports nutrition circles.

1. Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)

Surprised? Most athletes don't realize how important vitamin C status is to success. As the most widely studied vitamin in sports nutrition, Ascorbic acid has proven itself to be valuable to bodybuilders in many ways.

First, vitamin C is an antioxidant, protecting muscle cells from free radical damage, thus enhancing recovery and growth.

Second, Ascorbic acid is also involved with amino acid metabolism, especially the formation of Collagen. Collagen is the primary constituent of connective tissue, the stuff that holds your bones and muscles together. This may not seem important, but as you lift heavier weights, the stress you put on your structure becomes tremendous. If your connective tissue is not as healthy and strong as it should be (a problem often seen in steroid users), risk of injury dramatically increases.

Third, vitamin C helps in the absorption of Iron. Iron is necessary to help Oxygen bind to hemoglobin in blood. Without adequate oxygen transportation in blood, muscles are robbed of precious oxygen and performance is greatly reduced.

Fourth, Ascorbic acid also assists in the formation and release of steroid hormones, including the anabolic hormone testosterone.

Finally, vitamin C is perhaps the most water soluble vitamin there is. In other words, it diffuses very rapidly in water. Since a muscle cell is mostly water, the more muscular an athlete becomes, the more vitamin C disperses and the lower the concentration of this critical substance becomes in body tissues. So vitamin C requirements are greatly increased for bodybuilders.

Bodybuilders are notorious for overlooking these key components of growth and performance. Do yourself a favor and analyze your diet to ensure you're taking in enough of the vitamins outlined above. Remember: You could have the best diet in the world in terms of calories, fat, etc, but if you're lacking adequate levels of these metabolic spark plugs, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

All About Creatine
    Creatine E-book by Will Brinks

http://ironarena.com/forum/attachmen...4&d=1139870700

Leucine
    Professor Antti Mero, Department of Biology of Physical Activity, University of Jyv?skyl?

• Leucine is an essential amino acid.

• It is used mainly to stimulate protein synthesis and may also enhance energy production.

• The oral leucine dosages in studies have ranged from 50 to 200 mg/kg body mass/day, supplementary to a daily protein intake.

• In many studies leucine has been supplemented as a part of the branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs: leucine, isoleucine, valine). The efficacy of leucine supplementation compared with leucine intake in normal food is contradictory. Some evidence exists that the absorption of amino acids (especially di- and tripeptides) would be faster than that of the intact protein. This may have positive effects (e.g. in sport training and rehabilitation). However, further research using leucine alone is needed.

• Leucine is safe with the above mentioned dosages.

• Leucine is a legal substance.

Name
    Leucine

Description
    The essential amino acid leucine contains a positively charged amino group and a negatively charged carboxyl group attached to the same carbon atom, the alfa-carbon, when within the physiological pH range (pH 5.0 to 8.0). Leucine is one of the BCAAs which make up about one-third of muscle protein. In nutrition leucine is included in eggs, fish, lean beef and cow’s milk but leucine can also be used as a supplement.

Usage
    Leucine has been used because it can stimulate protein synthesis in muscle. It is closely associated as an ergogenic aid with the release of gluconeogenic precursors, such as alanine. Its oxidation rate is high compared to the other amino acids. Leucine affects various anabolic hormones and has anabolic and anticatabolic effects. It is also involved in nitrogen metabolism and ammonia removal.

Prevalence
    Recently, amino acids have become a very popular nutritional supplement marketed to athletes. Some of the most popular are the BCAAs as well as the various forms of leucine. However, prevalence and incidence of use of leucine by athletes and other consumers are unknown.

Chemical Mechanism
    Several studies indicate that leucine acts as an in vivo regulator of protein metabolism by decreasing protein degradation and increasing protein synthesis. In one study leucine infusion decreased plasma concentrations of several amino acids. The authors concluded that leucine decreases protein degradation in humans and that this decreased protein degradation during leucine infusion contributes to the decrease in plasma essential amino acids.

Clinical Evidence
    The efficacy of leucine intake as a supplement compared with leucine intake in normal food is contradictory. Some evidence exists that absorption of amino acids (especially di- or tripeptides) would be faster than that of intact protein. This may have some positive effects (e.g. in sport training and rehabilitation).

Scientific Research
    In many studies leucine has been supplemented as part of a mixture of BCAAs. The consumption of BCAAs (30 to 35 % leucine) before or during endurance exercise may prevent or decrease the net rate of protein degradation, may improve both mental and physical performance, and may have a sparing effect on muscle glycogen stores. However, leucine supplementation (200 mg/kg body mass) 50 minutes before anaerobic running exercise had no effect on performance. During 5 weeks of strength and speed training, leucine supplementation of 50 mg/kg body mass/day, supplementary to a daily protein intake of 1.26 g/kg body mass/day, appeared to prevent the decrease in the serum leucine levels in power- trained athletes. Further research into the effects of leucine supplementation alone is needed.

Administration
    Leucine is processed and distributed in various forms, including powder, capsules, tablets, and infusion.

Dosage
    The leucine content of protein is assumed to vary between 5 and 10%. There are suggestions the current recommended dietary intake of leucine should be increased from 14 mg/kg body mass/day to a minimum of 45 mg/kg body mass/day for sedentary individuals, and more for those participating in intensive training in order to optimize rates of whole body protein synthesis. The oral leucine dosages used in studies have ranged from 50 to 200 mg/kg body mass, supplementary to a daily protein intake.

Contraindications
    Leucine is safe to use in the above mentioned dosages.

Precautions/Warnings
    See Contraindications section

Banned/Permitted
    Leucine is permitted by sport organizations such as the International Olympic Committee and U.S. Olympic Committee. However, while leucine per se is not banned, certain supplements may contain leucine and some banned ingredients. Athletes who test positive due to the use of substances that contain additives are banned by the sport organizations will be disqualified.

Legality
    Leucine is a legal substance.

References
    1. Blomstrand, E., Hassmen, P., Ekblom, B., et al. Administration of branched-chain amino acids during sutained exercise: effects on performance and on plasma concentration of some amino acids. Eur. J Appl Physiol 1991; 63: 83-88.
    2. Di Pasquale, M.G. Amino acids and proteins for the athlete. The anabolic edge. CRC Press: Boca Raton, New York; 1997.
    3. Henriksson, J. Effect of exercise on amino acid concentrations in skeletal muscle and plasma. J Exp Biol 1991; 160: 149-165.
    4. Kreider, R.B., Miriel, V., Bertun, E., et al. Amino acid supplementation and exercise performance: analysis of the proposed ergogenic value. Sports Med 1993; 16(3): 190-209.
    5. Mero, A., Pitk?nen, H., Oja, S.S., et al. Leucine supplementation and serum amino acids, testosterone, cortisol and growth hormone in male power athletes during training. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 1997; 37 (2):137-145.
    6. Mero, A. Leucine supplementation and intensive training. A leading article. Sports Med 1999; 27(6): 347-358.
    7. Mourier, A., Bigard, A.X., de Kerviler, E., et al. Combined effects of caloric restriction and branched-chain amino acid supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in elite wrestlers. Int J Sports Med 1997; 18: 47-55.
    8. Varnier, M., Sarto, P., Martines, D., et al. Effect of infusing branched-chain amino acids during incremental exercise with reduced muscle glycogen content. Eur J Appl Physiol 1994; 69: 26-31.
    9. Zaloga, G.. Physiologic effects of peptide-based enteral formulas. Nutr Clin Pract 1990; 5: 231-237.

About the Author
      Antti Mero is a professor in Anatomy and Kinesiology. His professional affiliations include memberships in American College of Sports Medicine and in the International Society of Bio- mechanics. His main research area involves human performance, training and nutrition.
    Last edited by dannyboy9; 05-21-2007 at 09:24 AM.

max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    nice

Overtraining

Are you lifting too much or too often?
    Numerous signs and symptoms of overtraining have been suggested. It should be noted that not all of these symptoms will be present, and that the presence of some of these symptoms does not automatically mean an individual is overtrained. The ultimate determination of overtraining is whether performance is impaired or plateaued. Listed below are some frequently cited signs of overtraining:

Performance

* Decreased performance (strength, power, muscle endurance, cardiovascular endurance)
    * Decreased training tolerance and increased recovery requirements
    * Decreased motor coordination
    * Increased technical faults

Physiology

* Altered resting heart rate (HR), blood pressure and respiration patterns
    * Decreased body fat and post-exercise body weight
    * Increased VO2, VE , and HR during submaximal work
    * Decreased lactate response
    * Increased basal metabolic rate
    * Chronic fatigue
    * Sleep and eating disorders
    * Menstrual disruptions
    * Headaches, gastrointestinal distress
    * Muscle soreness and damage
    * Joint aches and pains

Psychological

* Depression and apathy
    * Decreased self-esteem
    * Decreased ability to concentrate
    * Decreased self-efficacy
    * Sensitive to stress

Immunological

* Increased occurrence of illness
    * Decreased rate of healing
    * Impaired immune function (neutrophils, lymphocytes, mitogen responses, eosinophils)

Biochemical

* Hypothalamic dysfunction
    * Increased serum cortisol and SHBG
    * Decreased serum total and free testosterone, testosterone/cortisol ratio
    * Decreased muscle glycogen
    * Decreased serum hemoglobin, iron, and ferritin
    * Negative N2 balance

The majority of these signs and symptoms are derived from endurance exercise overtraining research.

Not all of these signs and symptoms have been linked with resistance exercise overtraining, due partly to a lack of relevant research on the topic, and to the fact that resistance exercise presents different physiological stress compared to endurance exercise.

If overtraining from resistance exercise has occurred, several simple steps can be taken, including:

* One or more recovery days should be added to each training week.
    * Periodized training programs can provide the necessary training variety to avoid overtraining.
    * Avoid monotonous training.
    * Check that training volume and training intensity are inversely related.
    * Avoid too great a relative intensity (percent 1RM) for extended periods.
    * Avoid too great a training volume (number of sessions, exercises, sets and reps) for extended periods.
    * Avoid performing every set of every exercise of every session to absolute failure, with no variation.
    * Avoid incorrect exercise selection (overuse of certain muscles or joints).
    * Avoid excessive use of eccentric muscle actions.
    * Take into account the cumulative training stresses from other forms of exercise (i.e., cardiovascular training, sport-specific training, etc.)

Overtraining is of growing concern; more research is necessary for full understanding. It is clear that the exercise prescription is critically important to avoid a problem. Periodized training allows variation and is important for best results. Periodization includes phases of high training stress and planned periods for recovery and restoration. This applies to elite athletes well as to individuals exercising for general health and fitness.

Reprinted with permission of the American College of Sports Medicine, "Overtraining with Resistance Exercise," www.acsm.org

Should You Exercise When You're Sick?

Nothing can bring a bodybuilder's progress to a halt more than when you are sick. We are often asked the question, should I train while I am sick? The answer to that question really depends on what you mean by sick. Is it a cold? The flu? Allergies? Most people confuse the common cold for the flu. However, these are different types of illnesses. The flu is caused by viruses known as Influenza A or Influenza B, while the common cold is caused by viruses called coronaviruses and rhinoviruses. There are over 200 different types of coronaviruses and rhinoviruses. If one of them hits you, your immune system builds a lifelong immunity to it (therefore, the same virus will never hit you twice). However, you have the rest of the viruses that have not yet affected you to worry about; and there are enough to last a lifetime.

The flu, as you may have already found out by experience, is much more severe as it is usually accompanied by an array of body aches and fever. Therefore, your body?s immune system is taxed much more by the flu than by the common cold. At this time, training would not only be detrimental to muscle growth, but it would also be very detrimental to your health as well. Remember that while training can help us gain muscle, lose fat, feel good and energetic, it is still a catabolic activity. The body needs to be in good health in order to go from the catabolic state caused by the exercise to an anabolic state of recuperation and muscle growth. So if you have the flu, your body is already fighting a catabolic state caused by the Influenza virus. In this case, weight training would only add more catabolism, which in turn would negatively affect the efficacy of the immune system against the virus, causing you to get sicker. Therefore, absolutely no training if you have the flu. Instead, concentrate on very good nutrition and on drinking large amounts of fluids (water and electrolyte replacement drinks like Gatorade in order to prevent dehydration). Once the flu completely runs its course, you can slowly start up back on your weight training program with lighter weights and not going to failure. Don?t push yourself too hard during this first week. The next week you?ll repeat what you did on the previous week again, but pushing yourself closer to muscular failure. By the third week of your program you should be back on track.

If it is the common cold that is hitting you and the particular virus is mild (you know that it is mild when your symptoms are just a runny nose and slight coughing), you may get away with training as long as you stop the sets short of reaching muscular failure and you decrease the weights poundages by 25 percent (divide the weights that you usually use by 4 and that will give you the amount of weight that you need to take off the bar) in order to prevent you from pushing too hard. Again, if the cold virus is causing you to feel run down, achy, with a sore throat and headaches, it would be best to stop training all together, until the symptoms subside. If this is the case, just follow the exercise program start-up recommendations described above for after the flu. Remember that we do not want to make it any harder for the immune system to fight the virus by introducing more catabolic activity, so intense training is out during that time.

If your ailment is something other than the common cold or the flu, consult your doctor.

Now that we have seen how a flu or a cold can throw a wrench into your progress, lets see how we can prevent these buggers from affecting us during the flu season or during any other season for that matter.

Sickness Prevention

While it is still unknown why the cold and flu season generally comes during the winter months, it is known that you have to let the virus into your system in order for it to affect you. Therefore, it is only logical that we implement a two-fold prevention approach:

1. Prevent the virus from infiltrating your system. Keeping in mind that cold viruses spread by human contact, that they get into your system through the mouth, eyes and nose, and that they can remain active for up to three hours, you can accomplish this by doing the following:
    * Keep your hands away from your face
    * Wash your hands with anti bacterial soap frequently throughout the day (especially as soon as you finish your workout at the gym).

2. Maintain immune system operation at peak efficiency levels at all times. Remembering that excessive exercise, a bad diet, and losing sleep are all catabolic activities, do the following:
    * Avoid overtraining by using the principles advocated in the Characteristics of Good Weight Training Routines article.
    * Maintain a balanced diet as described in the Nutrition Basics article and avoid processed foods that contain high levels of saturated fats, refined flours or sugar since these types of foods lower the immune system function.
    * Get a healthy dose of sleep a day (anywhere from 7 to 9 hours depending on your individual requirements).

So remember, stay healthy by following the tips above, and if you get sick, then ?don?t beat a tired horse? as former Mr.Olympia Lee Haney used to say. Rest until you get better! If you don't you will end up more seriously ill and this will take you out of the gym for a longer period of time.

-Hugo Rivera
    Last edited by dannyboy9; 05-22-2007 at 07:33 AM.

Ten Anti-Vegetarian Myths

There are meat eaters, vegetarians, and vegans.
    Vegetarians drink milk and eat dairy products.
    Vegans eat no animal products. By eating animal
    flesh or drinking their body fluids, one ingests
    their hormones. Vegetarians often drink more
    milk and eat more dairy than meat eaters. Vegans
    eat no animal hormones.

There are two reasons not to eat animals. Many
    people become vegetarians out of compassion to
    animals who do not deserve to die in pain by a
    human knife.

The second reason, human health, far outweighs
    the first. By eating animal products, one shows
    no compassion to the human body. By eating dirty
    fuel consisting of cholesterol, saturated animal
    fat, and relatively large amounts of sulfur-based
    amino acids (methionine, homocysteine), one places
    considerable stress upon the body's cardiovascular
    and immune systems.

Of the two thousand or so emails that I see every
    day, I can always rely upon a handful to refer to
    one or more so-called anti-vegetarian myths such as:

1) Meat eaters have lower rates of heart disease
    than do vegetarians.

2) Meat eating men make for better lovers because
    they have higher rates of the male sex hormone.

3) Meat eaters have lower rates of all of the
    major diseases than do vegetarians.

4) Vegetarians have higher mortality rates than
    meat eaters.

5) A vegetarian diet is not appropriate for a
    pregnant woman or nursing mother.

6) Children born to vegetarians are smaller
    than children born to meat eaters.

7) Meat eaters obtain more vitamins and nutrients
    than vegetarians, because the animals they eat also
    consume vegetables.

8) It is a proven fact that vegetarians have higher
    rates of heart disease than meat eaters.

9) Meat eaters have lower rates of diabetes than
    do vegetarians.

10) Meat eaters have lower rates of breast cancer than
    do vegetarians.

ONE BY ONE, LET'S DISPEL THOSE MYTHS

1) Meat eaters have lower rates of heart disease
    than do vegetarians.

"Significant atherosclerosis is rare in peoples
    whose diet over the life span is predominantly
    vegetarian and low in calories, total lipids,
    saturated lipids and cholesterol."

Nutrition and Athersclerosis by Louis Katz. 1958

2) Meat eating men make for better lovers because
    they have higher rates of the male sex hormone.

"The study measured testosterone levels in 696
    Oxford University men. Of the study participants,
    233 were vegan (ate no animal products) and 237
    were vegetarian (ate milk and dairy products).
    The remaining 237 subjects were men who ate meat
    on most days of the week...vegans had higher
    testosterone levels than vegetarians and meat
    eaters."

British Journal of Cancer, 83(1), July 2000

3) Meat eaters have lower rates of all of
    mankind's major diseases than do vegetarians.

"Scientific data suggest positive relationships
    between a vegetarian diet and reduced risk for
    several chronic degenerative diseases and conditions,
    including obesity, coronary artery disease,
    hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and some
    types of cancer."

Journal of American Dietetic Association, 11/97, 97(1)

4) Vegetarians have higher mortality rates than
    meat eaters.

"Vegetarians often have lower mortality rates
    from several chronic degenerative diseases than
    do non vegetarians."

British Medical Journal, 1996; 313

5) A vegetarian diet is not appropriate for a
    pregnant woman or nursing mother.

"Vegan diets are appropriate for all stages of the
    life cycle, including during pregnancy and lactation."

Am J Clin Nutr. 1994;59(suppl):1176S-1181S.

6) Children born to vegetarians are smaller
    than children born to meat eaters.

"Vegan diets can meet the nutrient and energy needs
    of pregnant women. Birth weights of infants born
    to well nourished vegetarian women have been shown
    to be similar to birth-weight norms and to birth
    weights of infants of non vegetarians."

Pediatrics. 1989;84

7) Meat eaters obtain more vitamins and nutrients
    than vegetarians, because the animals they eat also
    consume vegetables.

"Vegetarian diets offer disease protection benefits
    because higher concentration of antioxidants such
    as vitamins C and E, carotenoids, and phytochemicals."

Am J Clin Nutr. 1996;63(suppl)

8) It is a proven fact that vegetarians have higher
    rates of heart disease than meat eaters.

"Mortality from coronary artery disease is lower in
    vegetarians than in non vegetarians."

British Medical Journal, 1994; 308

9) Meat eaters have lower rates of diabetes than
    do vegetarians.

"Type 2 diabetes mellitus is less likely to be a
    cause of death in vegetarians than non vegetarians."

Am J Clin Nutr. 1988;48(suppl)

10) Meat eaters have lower rates of breast cancer than
    do vegetarians.

"Breast cancer rates are lower in populations that
    consume plant based diets."

American Cancer Society Cancer Facts and Figures, 1994

http://www.notmilk.com/tenmyths.html
    Last edited by dannyboy9; 05-22-2007 at 07:37 AM.

I Squat in the Curl Rack Beowolf Agate's Avatar
    Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Damn. You have WAY to much time on your hands. I hope people listen to you.

This stuff isn't all perfectly true (IMHO) but it's damn good info, and you've done some decent research, unlike many other fact sprinklers on this site.

Good job!

Thanks...I think LOL. Actually, it hasn't taken me any more than a couple minutes at most to put all this up. It's all about organization, it's just a matter of how fast I can copy & paste Being organized takes you a long way when it's time to search for things.

I don't want anyone to "listen" to me, just want to share knowledge.

P.S. What do you feel isn't true about the info I've posted? The "Cancer Update" is a myth, I put it up by accident.

I Squat in the Curl Rack Beowolf Agate's Avatar
    Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beowolf Agate will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Meh, it's more that I just disagree with some stuff in general than that I think you have facts wrong. Plus, some of the stuff you posted can be disputed and/or argued, but nothing their is totally false.

Mainly, I'm not a fan of vegetarianism, or its partner in crime, soy. I know it's a personal choice... doesn't mean I have to like it. The body works most efficiently when your eating a variety of stuff, mainly, omniovorically.

The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Beowolf Agate View Post
    Meh, it's more that I just disagree with some stuff in general than that I think you have facts wrong. Plus, some of the stuff you posted can be disputed and/or argued, but nothing their is totally false.

Mainly, I'm not a fan of vegetarianism, or its partner in crime, soy. I know it's a personal choice... doesn't mean I have to like it. The body works most efficiently when your eating a variety of stuff, mainly, omniovorically.
    I'm actually pretty sure(I believe I heard this in biology class, don't ridicule me if I happen to be wrong), that humans were originally herbivores. But overtime we evolved because we kept insisting that we eat meat.

Anyways, still a good thread. I've actually already read a majority of what you posted just by reading it when you posted it originally. I actually think I have some of the stuff about soy protein book marked.

Originally Posted by Beowolf Agate View Post

I respect your free will and your right to choose what you think, feel and do. I'm glad you respect mine as well!

But...here's something to combat your train of thought and that might interest The_Nyne:

Meat digestion produces a lot of acids in the bowel. One of these is deoxycholic acid which becomes carcinogenic in the digestion process. Meat eaters have a much greater amount of this acid, in the bowel, than do vegetarians. So, human intestines have difficulty dealing with the high fat and low fiber, and are designed very differently from carnivores like cats and dogs. These animals have intestines which allow for much quicker passage of waste through the intestines. Human bowels are long and wind back and forth whereas carnivore bowels are smooth and short for quick elimination of waste. Carnivores therefore are not subject to colon cancer as are humans.

Glad you're familiar and like the information I provided The_Nyne. I appreciate it brother.

verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) verbatim9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why won't anyone stickify this thread.

I always knew mods on these forums are lazy.

Good job Dannyboy, this thread represents one of the biggest concentrations of useful information on this entire forum.
    True observation begins when one is devoid of set patterns

Silverback #1

Love
    It can move one's heart to see a young couple romantically enthralled with each other. But the heart becomes deeply sad just a few months later - to see their paralyzing dependence on one another.

The more intense has been the religion of any period and the more profound has been the dogmatic belief, the greater has been the cruelty and the worse has been the state of affairs

Originally Posted by verbatim9 View Post
    Why won't anyone stickify this thread.
    Cause it's not sticky material? LOL

Originally Posted by verbatim9 View Post
    Good job Dannyboy, this thread represents one of the biggest concentrations of useful information on this entire forum.
    *Borat voice* Verr niiice

The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Nyne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Meat digestion produces a lot of acids in the bowel. One of these is deoxycholic acid which becomes carcinogenic in the digestion process. Meat eaters have a much greater amount of this acid, in the bowel, than do vegetarians. So, human intestines have difficulty dealing with the high fat and low fiber, and are designed very differently from carnivores like cats and dogs. These animals have intestines which allow for much quicker passage of waste through the intestines. Human bowels are long and wind back and forth whereas carnivore bowels are smooth and short for quick elimination of waste. Carnivores therefore are not subject to colon cancer as are humans.
    Alright then, that helps clear things up. I was originally thinking about how our teeth are, I was told that our teeth show evidence of this too. Anywho, thanks.