Bastige has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Return to powerlifting after 2 yrs

I am not new to powerlifting but I haven't lifted free weights regularly in a while. I am in decent shape at the moment, 5'11, 178lbs 12% bf. I plan on competeing in the 198s....and my question is: What is a good workout to follow to minimize the delayed muscle soreness. Would it be better to start off with a hard workout and just be sore for a whole week (or longer), or start off slowly and take it easy for a couple of weeks? Any thoughts?

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Anytime you are doing something new you should expect a certain level of doms.

After two years off you need to resume training as a total novice. You should cover lost ground faster than before, however.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

I did bench and squat today. Bench felt pretty good, but after my 2nd set of squat soreness was already setting in (but the weight felt extremely light).
    I took a 10minute ice bath about 45 minutes after my workout, so hopefully that will save my legs for tomarrow morning.

Bench:
    5@135
    3x5@155
    5@165

Squat:
    2x5@135

SodaPop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SodaPop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SodaPop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SodaPop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SodaPop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SodaPop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SodaPop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SodaPop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SodaPop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SodaPop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SodaPop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Since you have been gone so long I am guessing you have developed some imbalances so I suggest you work on some symmetry well building a little mass for the higher weight class then when your body more prepared by that go to the low rep sets.
    Also I would put more focus on my squat then my bench as your squat also affects your deadlift. You seem to be focusing mainly on your bench and there is no way your bench should be higher then your squat.

Lil Mendy is just really nice. (+1000) Lil Mendy is just really nice. (+1000) Lil Mendy is just really nice. (+1000) Lil Mendy is just really nice. (+1000) Lil Mendy is just really nice. (+1000) Lil Mendy is just really nice. (+1000) Lil Mendy is just really nice. (+1000) Lil Mendy is just really nice. (+1000) Lil Mendy is just really nice. (+1000) Lil Mendy is just really nice. (+1000) Lil Mendy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SodaPop View Post
    Since you have been gone so long I am guessing you have developed some imbalances so I suggest you work on some symmetry well building a little mass for the higher weight class then when your body more prepared by that go to the low rep sets.
    Also I would put more focus on my squat then my bench as your squat also affects your deadlift. You seem to be focusing mainly on your bench and there is no way your bench should be higher then your squat.
    I agree, you have to figure out where your leverages are at. Plus remember when you start to lift heavy your weight will increase( especially when you squat), so you may not want to be too focused on the scale right now.

well, the only thing I'm worried about right now is not staying away from DOMS. after I get past that point then I can worry about everything else.

AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AusLifter06 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why does the DOMS bother you so much? I really see no way around this for a serious powerlifter, no matter what you do.

user5454 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) user5454 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) user5454 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) user5454 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) user5454 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) user5454 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) user5454 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) user5454 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) user5454 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) user5454 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) user5454 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AusLifter06 View Post
    Why does the DOMS bother you so much? I really see no way around this for a serious powerlifter, no matter what you do.
    B/c if you get it bad enough it can limit your next workout. At least thats why I try to avoid Doms.