Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I just had distal clavicle resection surgery (AC joint excision)

First off I just want to introduce myself. I have been looking at this forum for a while now but today I finally decided to join and start posting.

Guys I need your help.

I'm 27 years old. I'm 6' 245 wth alot of body fat. I am a former amateur boxer (not that great, record was 2-2). I had a distal clavicle resection on my right shoulder where he removed 12 mm of my AC joint. I also had arthroscopic exploratory surgery on that shoulder where, in addition to doing the AC joint excision, they removed a bone spur near the acromion and scar tissue near the AC joint. I had no arthritis of the AC joint but my doc felt it was necessary to do the AC joint excision so if scar tissue were to reform or a bone spur were to develop it wouldn't aggravate the AC joint. So that's why he did the procedure.

I have been doing codmans, taking Motrin, and icing since the day after the surgery. On Weds. May 16, 2007 my doc removed the steristrips and stitches where the portals to the scope were inserted. He also took a post op xray and said the xray looked good. He said as of Monday May 21, 2007 I can stop doing the codmans and can start going to physical therapy for 4 weeks to get all of my ROM back.

I would very much like to get back into weightlifting and amateur boxing again. Here is the timeline my doc and PT laid out for me:

1. Monday May 7, 2007 had AC joint excision surgery

2. Monday May 21, 2007 (2 weeks post op) start ROM PT. Do for 4 weeks.

3. Monday June 18, 2007 (6 weeks post op) start rotator cuff strenghtening PT. Do for 4 weeks.

4. Monday July 16, 2007 (10 weeks post op) start light weightlifting. Do for 4 weeks.

5. Monday August 13, 2007 (14 weeks post op) start boxing training.

As of posting this thread I'm 11 days post op (surgery was on Monday May 7, 2007).

Is there anybody here who has had this surgery and can tell me what I'm in store for? Will I ever be able to lift weights again? Will I ever be able to box again? I'm in alot of pain now since the surgery especially when I use the shoulder to do certain motions. It also hurts to sleep on that side. How long until the pain goes away? Will the pain EVER go away? Also, can anyone who has had this surgery give me a relative timeline for recovery and rehab? If anyone who has had this surgery or is familiar with this surgery can please help me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm a nervous wreck.

Thanks fellas. I'm glad to be part of this forum.
    Last edited by Crusher80; 05-17-2007 at 10:39 PM.

grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Crusher80 View Post
    grebnehtor it looks like you and I are in the same boat. I had a distal clavicle resection on Monday May 7, 2007. You can read all about it in my thread here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2787461

I am brand new here but I plan on posting regulraly. grebnehtor I wish you the best of luck. If you have any questions feel free to get a hold of me.

Take care.
    Here is my site.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2693501

No kidding man. You and I are in the same boat. I am beginning to think this is the worst injury for athlete that use arms as much as we do!

What were your symptoms? How long did you wait until you knew surgery was necessary?

Let me know how everything goes.

Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No one else on this forum has had a distal clavicle resection (AC joint excision)? Please help me fellas, I'm a nervous wreck about this.

grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It may be that people have had this surgery and have gone on to forgetting about it. That's the main thing that I've heard from other people. So far I am getting better each day. How are you doing?

Originally Posted by grebnehtor View Post
    How are you doing?
    I hate my life and wish I never had the surgery. I am 12 days post op and in worse pain than before the surgery. I guess my weightlifting and boxing career are over. Oh well, happiness is overrated anyway.

I know exactly how you feel. You should defiantly relax for a while. Things take time to heal.

kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow!

I've had the exact surgery that King Viscera made meation of, and this may sound mean, but I'm very excited to come across people that's had the same surgery. They shave off a few millimeters from my clavical. I waited 6 months before having my surgery and in that time I've had 3 cortisone injections, but it never got better. I had my surgery on 2/2/07, and the key is going to PT until you get your full range of motion back. I only went for three weeks because my insurance ran out, but I wish I would've went longer. The strengthing exercises they teach you are important, but nowhere near as valuable as the stretches they put you through. Since my surgery I've been concerned about reinjury so I didn't do any upperbody exercises (except for what I learned in PT) until my doctor cleared me. Also he was sure to tell me not to do any bench presses whether, flat, incline, or decline, dips and military press until cleared. I was cleared in 12 weeks, in which I slowly begin to do these exercises. I'm on my 16th week, and I'm now benching 135lbs, and 115lbs for incline. I still can't do dips, well at lease I'm still too scared to try them, and I've only done military press on the machines. I'm a longtime browser of BB.com, but this is my first time replying to a post. I'm 31yrs old, been working out for 10yrs, and I'm 6'0 225lb. It was hard going the length of time I went with lifting weights, but knowing what I know now I would've waited as long as possible, like Nainoa to avoid surgery. My sugestion to you grebnehtor, and others who has had this surgery is to take your time coming back. And remember range of motion is key as well as ICE, ICE, ICE. Oh and you should wing yourself off the hard stuff after two to three weeks. I still take Motrin and Excedrin back and body every now and then. Oh one more thing. The reason I would totally exhaust all possiblities (3 times) before having surgery is because going into surgery I was told I should be 100% by 12 weeks which wasn't the case, and now I believe I have to live with the occasional stiffness for life.

If anyone here is thinking about getting this surgery...PLEASE DO NOT GET IT!!! You will greatly regret it later.

I am 15 days post op and in 100 times more pain than I was before the surgery.

I am starting to realize that I will never be able to lift weights or box ever again.

kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If anyone here is thinking about getting this surgery...PLEASE DO NOT GET IT!!! You will greatly regret it later.

I am starting to realize that I will never be able to lift weights or box ever again.
    Crusher,

Claim down man!

It's not that bad. You'll recover. Just go to PT and take your time getting back. Don't try anything again other than your PT exercises. Be sure to ice your shoulder down at lease twice a day and you'll be okay. You really don't need to be feaking out, especially this early because you do have a long road, but you will be lifting again before you know it. I went from not being able to lift my arm to now doing 3x10 pullups. But again you really need to know that the worse thing you can do at this time is rush yourself back into things. Remember, work on your range of motion and everything else will fall into place.

I have a question to all of the people who have had this surgery and are healed:

Could you throw punches now PAIN FREE with that shoulder? Could you do a boxing workout (heavybag, speed bag, punch mits, etc.) day in and day out PAIN FREE? Could you get in a fight right now and defend yourself PAIN FREE?

...or did this surgery make it where you can't do those things pain free?

polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

MAN, I thought surgery was my only option with all the extensive physio therapy I was getting which wasn't working. Now I don't know what to do. All I can think of is anadrol, it's supposed to give you a painless workout by lubricating the joints.

dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Just dropped in

Originally Posted by polymorph View Post
    MAN, I thought surgery was my only option with all the extensive physio therapy I was getting which wasn't working. Now I don't know what to do. All I can think of is anadrol, it's supposed to give you a painless workout by lubricating the joints.
    Hi Polymorph,

I haven't been into this thread for awhile. Most of us that were involved with it have healed and moved on. Fast backround:

52 year old male
    6'0" 230lbs
    All shoulders.

Had the surgery in November of '06. Had a Clavicular and Acronial Resectioning as well as a Humerus polishing. The joint was full of bone spurs. Before the surgery, I could not rotate my arm out past about 20deg from body center and you could forget lifting anything of real weight in any type of pushing move.

I was back to work in two weeks. It took about 26 weeks for the pain to completely go away. Even now, it gives me a bit of twinge if I push it too hard. But, the twinge is tendon pain, not joint pain. IMHO, the resectioning did a subtle change in the alignment of the tendons and ligaments. I'm working through the fine tuning of the joint. But, I now can do inclines with 65lb dumbbells. I couldn't do inclines at all, prior to the surgery.

I did the therapy route for about two months. It was a great help, but it reached a point that it wasn't getting better. I doubt if any type of joint lube is going to help. I eat Chon/Glu/MSM daily for my joints. THere are limits.

Bottom line, it was worth it for me.

Doug B.

polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) polymorph has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by dbrunner00 View Post
    Hi Polymorph,

I haven't been into this thread for awhile. Most of us that were involved with it have healed and moved on. Fast backround:

52 year old male
    6'0" 230lbs
    All shoulders.

Had the surgery in November of '06. Had a Clavicular and Acronial Resectioning as well as a Humerus polishing. The joint was full of bone spurs. Before the surgery, I could not rotate my arm out past about 20deg from body center and you could forget lifting anything of real weight in any type of pushing move.

I was back to work in two weeks. It took about 26 weeks for the pain to completely go away. Even now, it gives me a bit of twinge if I push it too hard. But, the twinge is tendon pain, not joint pain. IMHO, the resectioning did a subtle change in the alignment of the tendons and ligaments. I'm working through the fine tuning of the joint. But, I now can do inclines with 65lb dumbbells. I couldn't do inclines at all, prior to the surgery.

I did the therapy route for about two months. It was a great help, but it reached a point that it wasn't getting better. I doubt if any type of joint lube is going to help. I eat Chon/Glu/MSM daily for my joints. THere are limits.

Bottom line, it was worth it for me.

Doug B.
    Hi,

When I pulled my second injury to my right shoulder, I could not train for a year, I had lots of physio then I went back to the gym. All was well then 3 years later the pain came back again to a lesser degree, even if I did go back to physio which I did for a small time, the pain will always be there. I'm back at the gym next week and i'm worried that if I continue I will just hurt myself permanently this time.

How much does shoulder surgery cost cos theres no way I can get it done on the NHS. You also see a lot of people in here saying that doctors know nothing about steroids, that I don't know, but what I do know is that doctors know nothing about sports injuries.

I agree with DBrunner. This surgery is worth it. If you view my thread, I have a layout of how I felt each week Post Operation. I don't really feel that I have the need to post on my old thread much anymore than to keep in contact with other people who have had this surgery. Good luck!

dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Red face Not Good News

Hi,

When I pulled my second injury to my right shoulder, I could not train for a year, I had lots of physio then I went back to the gym. All was well then 3 years later the pain came back again to a lesser degree, even if I did go back to physio which I did for a small time, the pain will always be there. I'm back at the gym next week and i'm worried that if I continue I will just hurt myself permanently this time.

How much does shoulder surgery cost cos theres no way I can get it done on the NHS. You also see a lot of people in here saying that doctors know nothing about steroids, that I don't know, but what I do know is that doctors know nothing about sports injuries.
    First, if it's truly a shoulder damage issue, laying off of the exercise for a few weeks will not correct it. If you did therapy for a few months and it did not improve past a certain point, you're probably a surgery candidate, IMHO. As far as "Hurting Yourself, Permanently", I think you may be too late. You can make it worse, but it won't go away. It will probably get worse. If there is structural damage, the continued loading will cause more damage. Laying off the weights will allow you delay the work. But, since we all REALLY enjoy moving large, inanimate objects, that's usually not an option. We WILL lift, come Hell or high Water.

As far as knowledge of shoulder issues, I went to a Specialist. I work on Medical Equipment. I'm not involved or trained in actual Medical Procedures, but I know enough to talk some serious "Shop" with the Doctors. As per the Doc, many of the injuries he sees in younger people are directly sports related. Old farts like me get them from earlier sports injuries, excessive heavy labor or just simple old age. Three strikes for me. ;-)

If you're not comfortable with what the Doctor told you, see a couple different ones from different clinics. As far as cost, it's not cheap. You're under anesthetic. That can cost a couple of thousand, by itself.

Don't have any better news. Sorry.

Red face

Hi,

First, if it's truly a shoulder damage issue, laying off of the exercise for a few weeks will not correct it. If you did therapy for a few months and it did not improve past a certain point, you're probably a surgery candidate, IMHO. As far as "Hurting Yourself, Permanently", I think you may be too late. You can make it worse, but it won't go away. It will probably get worse. If there is structural damage, the continued loading will cause more damage. Laying off the weights will allow you delay the work. But, since we all REALLY enjoy moving large, inanimate objects, that's usually not an option. We WILL lift, come Hell or high Water.

As far as knowledge of shoulder issues, I went to a Specialist. I work on Medical Equipment. I'm not involved or trained in actual Medical Procedures, but I know enough to talk some serious "Shop" with the Doctors. As per the Doc, many of the injuries he sees in younger people are directly sports related. Old farts like me get them from earlier sports injuries, excessive heavy labor or just simple old age. Three strikes for me. ;-)

If you're not comfortable with what the Doctor told you, see a couple different ones from different clinics. As far as cost, it's not cheap. You're under anesthetic. That can cost a couple of thousand, by itself.

Originally Posted by dbrunner00 View Post

Thanks for reply, I see a dark cloud hanging over my head now.
    Those AC joins are pretty fradgile

HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dude, stop whining... you sound like a baby. They cut parts of you out...what the hell do you expect? it's gonna hurt

I had that surgery 3 years ago.... before I had it I couldn't reach my wallet with my right hand.

I box still when I feel like it. I powerlift - my bench is heading towards 400.

I had surgery in august - I was benching again in october.

it ain't no biggie.... the **** will heal and ICE is you friend.

Cool Fragile?

Thanks for reply, I see a dark cloud hanging over my head now.
    Those AC joins are pretty fradgile
    Fragile? Nah. AC joint is a tank. But, we tend to beat the Hell out of it. It puts up wiht a lot of crap from our little passtime. ;-) But, sometimes the original engineering isn't up to our needs. Like the next guy said, Ice Packs are your friend. A very, very good friend. When you get the surgery, you'll be using them quite a bit. Several times a day for the first couple of weeks, then working your way down to just Post Work Out for awhile. Finally, you'll be able to put them in the freezer and wait for the next time you screw something up. ;-) Still got mine. But, then again, I'm an old fart that's too stubborn to lay down and quit. ;-)

Originally Posted by HRK (herb) View Post
    Dude, stop whining... you sound like a baby. They cut parts of you out...what the hell do you expect? it's gonna hurt

I had that surgery 3 years ago.... before I had it I couldn't reach my wallet with my right hand.

I box still when I feel like it. I powerlift - my bench is heading towards 400.

I had surgery in august - I was benching again in october.

it ain't no biggie.... the **** will heal and ICE is you friend.
    I'm not whining, I'm not bothered about having the sugery, it's trying to GET the surgery done for a price I can afford. If you went through what I've been through for the last 11 years, YOU would probably cry. It might be easier to get it done if you live in usa, but I dont and where I live doctors and specialists are **** and I know from experience.

dewstr01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

AC joint excision costs?

Hello,

Would any/ all of you who have had an ac joint excision performed recently be willing to post what the total charges (not your out of pocket expense) were from your hospital, doctors, PT, etc?

About 18 months ago, I was involved in a car accident where this guy ran a red light and t-boned me in the drivers side door. I was KO'd and my left ac joint suffered a grade II seperation.

I'm trying to settle with the insurance company and need to get an idea of what this surgery runs as I very well may need to have it myself.

Thanks so much for your help. Dwight

jinlee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I have had distal clavicle resection surgery 2 years ago

Hi,
    Just wanted to say hope things are working out for you with the clavicle surgery. I had it done to both sides two years ago and what a mistake. So much for any exercise using arms, such as aerobics, or weights as most all movements cause the clavicle to pop out of place, not pleasant. I have to then push them back in and they hurt all the time, more than they should.

I am supposed to have them "tacked into place" but am wondering if doing this will really help or will just cause more problems.

Again, I hope you are having better luck with your skeleton than I am with mine!

Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have had this surgery, will be 1 year in september when they cut my clavicle. It feels a lot better than when I was in constant pain before I had the surgery. It still feels a bit weird though. Could I punch? Yes but I think if I do that too much my shoulder will feel strange.

I am doing my jiu jitsu and not having any issues. I need to have my other shoulder done but I just dont want to do it now.

Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    I have had this surgery, will be 1 year in september when they cut my clavicle. It feels a lot better than when I was in constant pain before I had the surgery. It still feels a bit weird though. Could I punch? Yes but I think if I do that too much my shoulder will feel strange.

I am doing my jiu jitsu and not having any issues. I need to have my other shoulder done but I just dont want to do it now.
    sounds like a waste of time getting surgery done if it's never going to be 100%

Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    sounds like a waste of time getting surgery done if it's never going to be 100%
    Im glad I did it. My left shoulder now needs the surgery and compared to my right it is a mess.

I want to say Im pretty much pain free but I think it feels a bit weird some times.

Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    Im glad I did it. My left shoulder now needs the surgery and compared to my right it is a mess.

I want to say Im pretty much pain free but I think it feels a bit weird some times.
    I will admit I am tempted but I think It could be too big a commitment if it's never going to be the same again

I will admit I am tempted but I think It could be too big a commitment if it's never going to be the same again
    Are you in a lot of pain, does it limit your training etc?

dfwmediagroup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Don't have Distal Clavicle Resection!!!

It will ruin your shoulder for good. It turns it into an unstable and painful mess of muscle, bone and ligaments. For heaven's sake, don't do it. Either quit lifting or go with lighter weights. If you do have a DCR, you essentially end up with a grade 2 shoulder separation. The doctors are full of bull. Once they take your money and maim you for life, they couldn't care less. Trust me, it ain't the cure for ac joint pain.

lokobreed is on a distinguished road. (+10) lokobreed is on a distinguished road. (+10) lokobreed is on a distinguished road. (+10) lokobreed is on a distinguished road. (+10) lokobreed is on a distinguished road. (+10) lokobreed is on a distinguished road. (+10) lokobreed is on a distinguished road. (+10) lokobreed is on a distinguished road. (+10) lokobreed is on a distinguished road. (+10) lokobreed is on a distinguished road. (+10) lokobreed is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    To anyone who had this surgery, I have a few questions...

I am 6 months post op and I am experiencing some "clicking" and it sounds exactly like a significant click when I just do external and internal rotations - like put my arm out to the side and bend it at 90 degrees and sway it back and forth, but there is not pain.

Also I am getting like a pop in my shoulder joint, feels almost like a tendon, when I do shoulder shrugs. I am back to lifting partly but I still get pain right where they cut of the clavicle inside the joint.

I also am getting a dull ache in my shoulder at times, especially after doing broomstick dislocations.

I guess my biggest fear is that I tore a labrum because I did lift a heavy suitcase 1 month after surgery and felt something pop, which after that began the popping inside my joint during shrug motions that I mentioned above.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this 6 months post - op or if these symptoms so far after surgery could be signs of a tore labrum. I did have a regular MRI w NO contrast but it did not show anything (but MRI does not show labrum tears well.)

thepro888 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thepro888 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thepro888 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thepro888 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    First off I just want to introduce myself. I have been looking at this forum for a while now but today I finally decided to join and start posting.

Guys I need your help.

I'm 27 years old. I'm 6' 245 wth alot of body fat. I am a former amateur boxer (not that great, record was 2-2). I had a distal clavicle resection on my right shoulder where he removed 12 mm of my AC joint. I also had arthroscopic exploratory surgery on that shoulder where, in addition to doing the AC joint excision, they removed a bone spur near the acromion and scar tissue near the AC joint. I had no arthritis of the AC joint but my doc felt it was necessary to do the AC joint excision so if scar tissue were to reform or a bone spur were to develop it wouldn't aggravate the AC joint. So that's why he did the procedure.

I have been doing codmans, taking Motrin, and icing since the day after the surgery. On Weds. May 16, 2007 my doc removed the steristrips and stitches where the portals to the scope were inserted. He also took a post op xray and said the xray looked good. He said as of Monday May 21, 2007 I can stop doing the codmans and can start going to physical therapy for 4 weeks to get all of my ROM back.

I would very much like to get back into weightlifting and amateur boxing again. Here is the timeline my doc and PT laid out for me:

1. Monday May 7, 2007 had AC joint excision surgery

2. Monday May 21, 2007 (2 weeks post op) start ROM PT. Do for 4 weeks.

3. Monday June 18, 2007 (6 weeks post op) start rotator cuff strenghtening PT. Do for 4 weeks.

4. Monday July 16, 2007 (10 weeks post op) start light weightlifting. Do for 4 weeks.

5. Monday August 13, 2007 (14 weeks post op) start boxing training.

As of posting this thread I'm 11 days post op (surgery was on Monday May 7, 2007).

Is there anybody here who has had this surgery and can tell me what I'm in store for? Will I ever be able to lift weights again? Will I ever be able to box again? I'm in alot of pain now since the surgery especially when I use the shoulder to do certain motions. It also hurts to sleep on that side. How long until the pain goes away? Will the pain EVER go away? Also, can anyone who has had this surgery give me a relative timeline for recovery and rehab? If anyone who has had this surgery or is familiar with this surgery can please help me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm a nervous wreck.

Thanks fellas. I'm glad to be part of this forum.
    got a sprained ac and its still been 6mos this is w/out surgery...