WST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Squats and knee wraps

When should someone start investing in knee wraps for squats? I am not doing very much by far (espicially for size), but I'd like to know so I don't hurt my knees.

I weigh 320 lbs, and rep 245 lbs x 6 with proper form on squats.

(Yes, I know losing weight is good for my knees, and I have actually lost 40 lbs since january :-))

Thanks,
    Will

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i used to use them, but i'm starting to go towards the arguement of it's not good for strengthening the knee ligaments and whatnot, so i'm not using them anymore.

niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    i used to use them, but i'm starting to go towards the arguement of it's not good for strengthening the knee ligaments and whatnot, so i'm not using them anymore.

I've had three op's on my knees ( nothing serious just opened up to take some crap out) and the guy that did the op is meant to be one of the "better" speacilists in the UK. He says that wraps are bad for the ligaments and they don't strengthen if wrapped up.
    http://www.myspace.com/nicholaseasey

pump-o-matic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If ya wanna bea weak-ass bber who has a bum knee at 40, then go ahead and use them. Powerlifters use them only to increase the lift durring a comp. Wraps do little if anything to prevent injury to a healthy knee. I did my MS work on knee injuries in the NFL.

Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000)
    If someone is having problems with their knees, something is probably wrong with their form, unless they had an injury. If they had an injury, they should not be squatting heavy enough to bother their knees.
    Always learning.

Originally posted by niceasey
    I've had three op's on my knees ( nothing serious just opened up to take some crap out) and the guy that did the op is meant to be one of the "better" speacilists in the UK. He says that wraps are bad for the ligaments and they don't strengthen if wrapped up.
    Exactly. That's why you shouldn't use them.

hey Henry, got a question- what about elbow wraps....i've been using those when i'm doing pressing, not really certain why. Used them initially because i injured my elbow, but after that they just became a crutch. Think i should stop using them because they're probably preventing elbow ligaments from strengthening?

hey Henry, got a question- what about elbow wraps....i've been using those when i'm doing pressing, not really certain why. Used them initially because i injured my elbow, but after that they just became a crutch. Think i should stop using them because they're probably preventing elbow ligaments from strengthening?
    YES! Your muscles will get stronger, but you won't.

*ponder* Okay, i'll stop using them. Last time i didn't use them for a set (about a month ago), my bench dropped 10pds and my form was pretty bad (elbows were splaying, heh).....me thinks I should have taken that as a sign right there that i was becoming too dependent on a crutch

BBers use all that **** 'cause they think it's cool. Ahhnold used to wear a belt the whole workout, drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Originally posted by pump-o-matic
    BBers use all that **** 'cause they think it's cool. Ahhnold used to wear a belt the whole workout, drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    lol

Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rexer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do not have a pair but if I did I would use them for 1PR max and for getting used to them. For working sets I would go without them.

Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If ya wanna bea weak-ass bber who has a bum knee at 40, then go ahead and use them. Powerlifters use them only to increase the lift durring a comp. Wraps do little if anything to prevent injury to a healthy knee. I did my MS work on knee injuries in the NFL.
    Or a loser who says things like that...Thats just rediculous. And to say that its going to cause a bum knee?? Are u crazy? chances are you'll have just as many knee injuries not useing them as if u did use them. Just find how many of the top 20 bodybuilders right now, dont use knee wraps, then come and talk to me. Thanks.
    "No matter how hot she is, someone is sick of her ****"

"FREE KOBE"

Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes its true the ligaments will not get the same 'workout'...but its a trade off...a lot of people believe that working out for life, and preventing future injuries is the key to being a bodybuilder, and they use wraps for that reason...Their ligaments arent as strong, ok...and they may do up to 100lbs more w/ wraps than not..but they are NOT stupid enough to take the wraps off and do the same weight...they know that. And if they are going to go all out w/ a lot of weight, they will wrap, so that knee ligament issue is not an issue at all.......unless they said 'i dont want to use wraps anymore" and tried to handle the same weight.

"FREE KOBE"

Exactly. That's why you shouldn't use them.
    I will have to say that your knee ligaments do strengthen on other exercises besides squats and leg press...which are the exercises u would use wraps...

"FREE KOBE"

Originally posted by Just_being_me
    Or a loser who says things like that...Thats just rediculous. And to say that its going to cause a bum knee?? Are u crazy? chances are you'll have just as many knee injuries not useing them as if u did use them. Just find how many of the top 20 bodybuilders right now, dont use knee wraps, then come and talk to me. Thanks.
    sorry, but I"m going to listen to Henry on this on......i would take a strength coach's advice anyday over a bodybuilders on ligament/tendon strengthening/health.

Originally posted by Just_being_me
    Find how many of the top 20 who have strong knees.