Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dreamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dreamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dreamer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Ibuprofen and Muscle Recovery

I take ibuprofen to reduce some soreness in my elbow after a workout. Someone told me that ibuprofen can interfere with either muscle growth or muscle recovery. Anybody hear anything on this subject?

slacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I asked a simular question to my DR. his reply was that Ibuprofen was the best to use for pain as it was an anti-inflammatory. It should help to aid in the recovery of muscle tissue damage, and tissue fluid build up. But he said he really did not know if it would have any effect on muscle growth with regard to size increase. He suggested the use of Glucosamine &MSM to help joints as this may be the real cause of the pain. As he said "no pain no gain", guess its the hex of exercise with age. Good Luck

Slacker

devildog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devildog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devildog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devildog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devildog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devildog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devildog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devildog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devildog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devildog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devildog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've read that Ibuprofen isn't the best thing to use to curb inflamation because it blocks both the COX 1 and 2 enzymes. The COX 1 enzymes are beneficial because they aid in muscle recovery while the COX 2 enzymes are largely responsible for the inflamation and swelling. Celebrex and Vioxx are better options since they only block the COX 2 enzyme.

bghtn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do some research on using Curcumin for Anti-inflammatory reasons.

MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAX MADMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dreaamer,

You may want to consider Ibuprofen an hour or do BEFORE you work out. In addition, you may want to consider L-Glutamine as a recovery amino..................many weight trainers swear by it, me included. Otherwise, get fluids in, try some joint fuel product like glucosamine/chondroitin or similar.......and R-E-S-T!!!!!!

J_whitley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

muscle recovery

hey, im a student athlete that will be entering into college as a pitcher/OF.
    I'm currently doing intensive rehab in the mornin for my right rotator cuff postier capsule for laxity and instability and a upper body work out program that is required to do for college. plus practice. its alot stress on the body but it is required to play at the level i play at. the rehab will be done in 2 months and then ill just be on a regular workout regime. wich would be twice a day plus practice. I need to kno what would be the supplement that would increase muslce recovery time for my self since im extremly active in my sports meaning alot of wear and tear process and would just help the overall picture so that i have the stregthn to move on. I know that a muslce recovery supplment would benifit me greatly so that i get every energy,power,stregthn,drive threw every workout i must do, i want to squeze every ounce of workout i get for performance, so what do yall think? any help would be appreciated

19 years old ,5'10,175lb athletic built

Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    NSAIDs are not good for us bb'ers. Here is a study GO BIG posted in one of my old journals. Excellent read.

The effect of NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen on muscle growth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are one of the many people who take a few Advil aspirin,or any other NSAID after a workout or in the days following to alleviate muscle soreness, think again! There is recent research that conclusively shows that taking NSAIDs after exercise-induced muscle damage significantly reduces levels of the prostaglandin, PGF2-α, which is intimately involved in the protein synthesis that occurs post-exercise; we work out, tear down our muscles, and the anabolic process of tissue repair and hypertrophy is dependent on levels of this prostaglandin.(1,2). It has been known for some time that maximal, prescription-level doses of NSAIDs will inhibit skeletal muscle protein synthesis, as the study in reference (2) below was performed in 1982. Most of these studies, however, utilized in-vitro systems where cultured myocytes were exposed to a stretch-stimulus to induce tissue damage and then protein synthesis was measured with-and without the presence of a high concentration of NSAID. As those of us in the field of pharmacology have (painfully) witnessed time-and time again, in-vitro systems are rarely representative of what actually occurs in-vivo. Because of this the notion that NSAID use after a workout might decrease muscular gains was passed off as an artifact of the experimental systems used; and not representative of what somebody would experience when taking over the counter doses of NSAIDs.

A group in 2001, however, using eccentric contractions in human subjects to induce muscle damage, showed that post-exercise NSAID use drastically reduced the increase in protein synthesis normally seen in response to muscle damage. This study is relevant to real workouts because the researchers used a model for muscle damage that is very similar to what what happens during a normal weight training workout and the doses of NSAIDs used in the study were normal therapeutic doses, not unlike those that most people would take for a headache or after a tough workout for soreness.(3) The results of this study were that, in the untreated subjects, post-exercise muscle protein synthesis (24 hours post-workout) increased in upwards of 76%, while subjects that received either acetaminophen or ibuprofen saw no significant increase at all. The implications of this study are huge; if you are into taking a few Advil after a tough workout to alleviate soreness, think again; you may be severely hindering your progress.

It is important to know the mechanism behind such a phenomena because it may be possible that we can use this to our advantage. NSAIDs inhibit the enzyme COX-1 and COX-2, which basically take a common substrate, arachidonic acid, and through a cascade of biochemical reactions create a number of prostaglandins. Some Prostaglandins cause inflammation and are largely responsible for the pain response we get after a workout. Reducing prostaglandin synthesis by inhibiting the COX enzyme can reduce pain and inflammation, but at the same time reduction of the specific prostaglandin, PGF2-α has a dramatic effect on the ability of muscles to hypertrophy(2,4). Intuitively, this makes sense, because inflammation is intimately involved with the healing process. Although there are certainly situations when reducing inflammation is beneficial, after a weight training workout is clearly not one of them.

The pathway is outlined below and as you can see, inhibiting COX will have the effect of reducing PGF2-α, inhibiting the ever-so-important protein synthesis that occurs to repair the muscle and allow it to hypertrophy. So there you have it, convincing evidence that NSAIDs after a workout inhibit muscle gains. The next question you may ask is: How can we use this to our advantage? (i.e. by somehow increasing PGF2-α levels). Glad you asked! This will be coming in a future post; sign up for our feed or to receive posts by email to get this cutting edge info as soon as it is published. Until then, keep training hard and continuing to learn; the day you think you know it all is the day that you stop making gains.

ironmaidn4life is just really nice. (+1000) ironmaidn4life is just really nice. (+1000) ironmaidn4life is just really nice. (+1000) ironmaidn4life is just really nice. (+1000) ironmaidn4life is just really nice. (+1000) ironmaidn4life is just really nice. (+1000) ironmaidn4life is just really nice. (+1000) ironmaidn4life is just really nice. (+1000) ironmaidn4life is just really nice. (+1000) ironmaidn4life is just really nice. (+1000) ironmaidn4life is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for posting this question. I have often wondered about this myself. Now I take Asprin because it thins the blood and therefore reduces inflammation. I have found it to be more effective than IBprofin. The L-Glutamine (sp?) mentioned above has helped me as well in my recovery as well as taking a product by Gaspri ?SizeOn?. You take it during, post workout or prior to bedtime. It has Creatine in it and for some reason, I think it works and helps maintain mass. Best wishes to you all.
    "DO, OR NOT DO, THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

It's all in the journey, not in the prize...

KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Believe it or not....

Good old caffeine (in larger doses) has been shown to reduce DOMS. I can't remember exactly, but I read the article in a recent 'Men's Fitness RX" I had some pretty nasty DOMS due to some squats, but came out of it in one day after taking caf. The dose was approx 200mg per 100lbs of body weight. I think I took it twice that day, with the last dose being around 4:00 p.m., so I would be able to get to sleep arount 10:00 p.m. It worked really well.
    I'll take arrogance and the inevitable hubris over self-doubt and lack of confidence, anyday.......

do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Oh Mi God..........I think I will just take a hot bath followed by a cool shower.
    At least that should be okay.

Thanks for the posting - I never even thought about it!

Improve your Mind CognitiveNutrition's Avatar
    CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey guys btw

Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008 Jun;33(3):470-5.
    The effects of ibuprofen on muscle hypertrophy, strength, and soreness during resistance training.
    Krentz JR, Quest B, Farthing JP, Quest DW, Chilibeck PD.

High doses of ibuprofen have been shown to inhibit muscle protein synthesis after a bout of resistance exercise. We determined the effect of a moderate dose of ibuprofen (400 mg.d-1) consumed on a daily basis after resistance training on muscle hypertrophy and strength. Twelve males and 6 females (~24 years of age) trained their right and left biceps on alternate days (6 sets of 4-10 repetitions), 5 d.week-1, for 6 weeks. In a counter-balanced, double-blind design, they were randomized to receive 400 mg.d-1 ibuprofen immediately after training their left or right arm, and a placebo after training the opposite arm the following day. Before- and after-training muscle thickness of both biceps was measured using ultrasound and 1 repetition maximum (1 RM) arm curl strength was determined on both arms. Subjects rated their muscle soreness daily. There were time main effects for muscle thickness and strength (p < 0.01). Ibuprofen consumption had no effect on muscle hypertrophy (muscle thickness of biceps for arm receiving ibuprofen: pre 3.63 +/- 0.14, post 3.92 +/- 0.15 cm; and placebo: pre 3.62 +/- 0.15, post 3.90 +/- 0.15 cm) and strength (1 RM of arm receiving ibuprofen: pre 18.6 +/- 2.8, post 23.4 +/- 3.5 kg; and placebo: pre 18.8 +/- 2.8, post 22.8 +/- 3.4 kg). Muscle soreness was elevated during the first week of training only, but was not different between the ibuprofen and placebo arm. We conclude that a moderate dose of ibuprofen ingested after repeated resistance training sessions does not impair muscle hypertrophy or strength and does not affect ratings of muscle soreness.
    www.cognitivenutrition.com
    www.bodybuilding.com/store/uniq/uniq.htm

PEA 750 mg caps: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/uniq/peaultra.html
    PEA Dosing: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=261217881&postcount=1379

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I take naproxin every now and then if I am having joint pain "happens less with animal flex"
    Here is how I feel about it:
    Naproxin may have a minor affect , but as compared to not having appropriate rest (which pain will greatly interfere with) I think the advantages are in the nsaids favor. If I cant sleep soundly due to pain then I for sure will not get the recovery I need.
    That being said I dont take them daily, if your having enough pain to warrant nsaids every day you might want to check with a doctor.
    Also as has been mention glucosamine "I'm liking animal flex joint supplements"

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As others have mentioned, ibuprofen kills protein synthesis, which will affect your gains. Here is a link to one of the studies.

http://www.kinemed.com/files/Effect_...profen_and.pdf

Improve your Mind CognitiveNutrition's Avatar
    CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000) CognitiveNutrition is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    As others have mentioned, ibuprofen kills protein synthesis, which will affect your gains. Here is a link to one of the studies.

http://www.kinemed.com/files/Effect_...profen_and.pdf
    The study you linked used the Maximum dose possible 1,200 mg daily. I'm not surprised. However a reasonable dose like 400 mg had no negative effect.
    www.cognitivenutrition.com
    www.bodybuilding.com/store/uniq/uniq.htm

PEA 750 mg caps: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/uniq/peaultra.html
    PEA Dosing: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=261217881&postcount=1379

csilvaii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MAX MADMAN View Post
    Dreaamer,

You may want to consider Ibuprofen an hour or do BEFORE you work out. In addition, you may want to consider L-Glutamine as a recovery amino..................many weight trainers swear by it, me included. Otherwise, get fluids in, try some joint fuel product like glucosamine/chondroitin or similar.......and R-E-S-T!!!!!!
    L-glutamine is fine, and cheap, but Glutamine Peptide is best for recovery. Its not a "free form" amino acid so it CAN be bonded with other amino acids which makes it more stable and better assimilated (absorbed) by your body.

Registered User beasthousemania's Avatar
    beasthousemania is just really nice. (+1000) beasthousemania is just really nice. (+1000) beasthousemania is just really nice. (+1000) beasthousemania is just really nice. (+1000) beasthousemania is just really nice. (+1000) beasthousemania is just really nice. (+1000) beasthousemania is just really nice. (+1000) beasthousemania is just really nice. (+1000) beasthousemania is just really nice. (+1000) beasthousemania is just really nice. (+1000) beasthousemania is just really nice. (+1000)
    its allright
    9/16/09 = the day i quit smoking cigarettes forever.

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    I take naproxin every now and then if I am having joint pain

Here is how I feel about it:
    Naproxin may have a minor affect , but as compared to not having appropriate rest (which pain will greatly interfere with) I think the advantages are in the nsaids favor. If I cant sleep soundly due to pain then I for sure will not get the recovery I need.
    I take Naproxen too. And for that reason because I experience severe shoulder pain at times, which affects almost every workout, and also sleep.

Naproxen keeps me in the gym, and I've been growing.

So maybe if I was not in pain and not tkaing it, I'd grow better, but if I wasn't taking it I wouldn't be in the gym, so I wouldn't be growing AT ALL.

I'd never take anything to relieve DOMS; I LOVE IT.

But joint pain is something else...and not fun.

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bghtn View Post
    Do some research on using Curcumin for Anti-inflammatory reasons.
    Anti-inflammatory is anti-inflammatory. Inflammation due to stimulation is key to muscle growth. However, inflammation due to injury must be treated.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    To the OP, here's a suggestion. Rather than using ibuprofen to reduce muscle soreness in your elbow, try an Arnica-based gel or something like Democaine (sold here on BB.com) right after your workout. Since it's a localized soreness, something like this may be better plus you won't have the NSAID side effects...
    "Consistency, hard work and dedication is the key to success"

themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well I take script anti-inflammation meds and I dont think it really hurts me all that much as far as results.

Highlander_40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Highlander_40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Highlander_40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Highlander_40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Highlander_40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Highlander_40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Highlander_40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Highlander_40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Highlander_40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Highlander_40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Highlander_40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    there was an article in the new your times a few months ago about it and marathon runners, said its common for them to take it daily due to wear and tear pain, but that it affects stamina in extreme endurance like marathons, and they get a tolerance to it - they recco's ocassional use okay and (doh) stop running if it hurts

dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i avoid all NSAID's after doing some reading on them. i just live with the aches and pains. my joints hate me for this. maby i should stop reading so much.

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Anything taken in excess is unhealthy.

However, after my last neck surgery the doctor told me not to take any NSAIDs for at least 6 months because it would effect the healing process. I have also heard that it can be muscle wasting, although I do not know at what doses it becomes so.

A friend of mine who was on his way to becoming a national level competitor had landed a contract with a supplement company that allowed him to quit working and devote all of his time to his training and nutrition. He was however suffering from extreme pain from his exhaustive workouts so he started taking high doses of NSAIDs daily. The end result? His kidneys gave him so much trouble he had to give up bodybuilding completely.

More isn't better. Better is better.

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Most Muscular View Post
    He was however suffering from extreme pain from his exhaustive workouts so he started taking high doses of NSAIDs daily. The end result? His kidneys gave him so much trouble he had to give up bodybuilding completely.
    ^^^^This. Kidneys and liver problems are common issues with scrip as well as OTC pain meds. Use caution.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    and this has been discussed/debated how many times in this forum???

so why are some people surprised to hear about this?

if you are an active EDUCATED Bodybuilder ( re: constantly reading up on your sport/hobby), this should be old hat to you......

and we always reach the same conclusion: using NSAIDS as a REGULAR means to work out is simply not good for you on many levels, besides the "protein killing (?)" effect......

if your elbow KILLS you after every workout, SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!

if you are taking NSAIDS to relieve DOMS, SOMETHING IS WRONG ( with your head in this case).....

but, if OCCASIONALLY, we have exceptional pain or inflammation for some reason, then, there is a greater need, and you just take what you have to take......

most people who only take these meds when absolutely necessary, will not have to worry about any of this nonsense......

for those who take regular and excessive amounts: you have other problems BESIDES muscle growth......

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    ^^^^This. Kidneys and liver problems are common issues with scrip as well as OTC pain meds. Use caution.
    I was also going to mention the kidney problems. Thats too much risk for my taste. Any drug taken for a long period of time will almost definitely do some damage to you. Just because something is over the counter dont assume its completely safe.
    Last edited by rob440; 03-12-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling

tylert27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tylert27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tylert27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tylert27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tylert27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tylert27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tylert27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tylert27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tylert27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tylert27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tylert27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Aleve

I am a nurse and I would like to add my two cents. If you are choosing an anti-flammatory for post work out pain, Naproxen is the way to go. Take two aleve before you workout to improve the pain and inflammation. Naproxen has less side effects than Ibuprofen does, like GI upset. The NSAID's have inhibition ability of the Cox-1 and Cox-2 enzymes in the body. Cox-1 is involved with protection of the mucosa in the stomach and GI tract and COX-2 is involved with the inflammatory response. With all of NSAID's, they non-selectively inhibit these two enzymes which lead to the control of inflammation and mucosa protection breakdown. The selective COX-2 inhibitors block the effects of inflammation without blocking the COX-1 enzyme, which protects the stomach. However, Celebrex-the first COX-2 inhibitor, is not available Over the counter. The best anti-inflammatory is Naproxen (Aleve) because it has been shown to have less side effects as ibuprofen. Ibuprofen has been shown to interfere with anti-hypertensive medications. So if you have high blood pressure, try and stay away from Ibuprofen. Aleve has been proven to interfere less with these medications. Additionally, for best results, start talking aleve on non-trainging days to allow the medication to accumulate in your body. Greater anti-inflammatory effects will be seen when the medication has had time to build up. BUT, do not exceed the recommended daily amount.
    Last edited by tylert27; 03-12-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Threadweaver- Psyche Hero hochspeyer's Avatar
    hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    so why are some people surprised to hear about this?

if you are an active EDUCATED Bodybuilder ( re: constantly reading up on your sport/hobby), this should be old hat to you......

and we always reach the same conclusion: using NSAIDS as a REGULAR means to work out is simply not good for you on many levels, besides the "protein killing (?)" effect......

if your elbow KILLS you after every workout, SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!

if you are taking NSAIDS to relieve DOMS, SOMETHING IS WRONG ( with your head in this case).....

but, if OCCASIONALLY, we have exceptional pain or inflammation for some reason, then, there is a greater need, and you just take what you have to take......

most people who only take these meds when absolutely necessary, will not have to worry about any of this nonsense......

for those who take regular and excessive amounts: you have other problems BESIDES muscle growth...... (John from 3 posts up!)

This is true of ALL NSAIDs, including the low-dose (81mg?) aspirin out there. I worry less about the efects on muscle mass than I do about kidney and liver damage.
    Last edited by hochspeyer; 03-13-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tylert27 View Post
    I am a nurse and I would like to add my two cents.
    Thanks for that info. Repped.

Aleve finally became available OTC here in Canada last summer, and it's been like a gift from God for me. The stuff works wonders, but I agree it is not as fast acting as Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen. It works best when taken regularly twice daily.

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have a somewhat unique situation related to this issue.

I have grade 1 isthmic spondylolisthesis* of the L5 vertebrae that in February started causing me great pain. For a period of several months I could hardly walk or bend over without having shooting pains in my back and down my leg. During this period my doctor told me to "stay off it" and I gained close to 30 pounds. After months of no improvement I went to a back specialist who properly diagnosed me and told me that most of the pain was likely caused by inflammation and that I should take ibuprofin to reduce the inflammation, strength training in my core to help support my back, and obviously lose that 30 pounds that I gained. I'm slowly reducing the amount of ibuprofin I take every day (down to 600 mg twice a day from 800 mg three times a day 2 months ago) but I'm not yet to the point where I can make it through the day without it. I'm doing a lot of strength training, and taking protein and ibuprofin after workouts, but it sounds like the ibuprofin may be detrimental to my workouts. I'm wondering if I waited until later in the morning to take my ibuprofin if it would be less detrimental to the workouts - anyone know?

Cliffs:
    Need to take ibuprofin for back pain
    Need to lose weight and increase muscle strength for back pain
    If I wait [some period of time] until after my workout to take ibuprofin, will it still hamper muscle development???

*Wiki Spondylolisthesis for more info on it. I can't post a link for you since this is my first post.