Thread: Deadlifts. . .

MitchTher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Deadlifts. . .

When I'm deadlifting Approx 200-250lbs or so, I have a problem holding onto the bar for more then 5 or 6 reps. Its not too much weight I can do it, I just cant hold on too it.

I switched my grip up from when im griping it with knuckles facing forwards to my left one facing forwards, right one facing backwards, works a charm but still not enough.

Would Wraps make a big difference for helping to hold this?

psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hey dude. Im just reaching a weight where my grip fails before the rest of my body too. Ive like doubled my deadlift in the past few months, and last week on the last few reps of my third set at 220lbs my grip was slipping alot. I dont intend to use straps or gloves, unless i guess if my grip doesnt really improve much and it holds me back from increasing my deadlift then ill use gloves maybe.

Try gloves and straps dude, they are sure to help your grips
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=633909

Tryco Slatterus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Straps will help....Not gloves but straps.

psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Tryco Slatterus
    Straps will help....Not gloves but straps.
    gloves wont help? why not?
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

Originally posted by psychojoe
    gloves wont help? why not?

Gloves will help your hands from getting all callaused...But they wont help with grip at all.

I know...I have both gloves and straps...Gloves do nothing for grip...only straps do.

Gloves will help your hands from getting all callaused...But they wont help with grip at all.

I know...I have both gloves and straps...Gloves do nothing for grip...only straps do.
    hmm ok then. I havent ever used either so i dont know. I would have thought gives could provide a better surface to grip the bar than skin but i guess not
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

Originally posted by psychojoe
    hmm ok then. I havent ever used either so i dont know. I would have thought gives could provide a better surface to grip the bar than skin but i guess not

I dont know....But they just dont do that for me...I always end up letting go when I use only gloves...too much weight.

.aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    chalk

dont use straps/gloves/belt/other crap...do it raw, you'll benefit so much more in the future.

Originally posted by .aeterna
    chalk

dont use straps/gloves/belt/other crap...do it raw, you'll benefit so much more in the future.
    Bla,Bla,Bla...

If you are doing deadlift...Use straps and a belt unless you want your back to give out.

If you are training your grip..then done use them...But using straps and a belt increases the weight alot....Chalk is...I dont even know what it is.

Doctor Deadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Doctor Deadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Doctor Deadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Doctor Deadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Doctor Deadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Doctor Deadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Doctor Deadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Doctor Deadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Doctor Deadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Doctor Deadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Doctor Deadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always use straps when deadlifting heavy and my forearms are still about 15 inches. If you really don't want to use straps then I'd recommend doing some static holds and farmer's walks. If those can strengthen your forearms, then at least your back will fail before your forearms do on deadlift.

Looks Like Chris Benoit musclemidget's Avatar
    musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Lightbulb

have you ever considered training for a stronger grip?

Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bla,Bla,Bla...

If you are doing deadlift...Use straps and a belt unless you want your back to give out.

If you are training your grip..then done use them...But using straps and a belt increases the weight alot....Chalk is...I dont even know what it is.
    You don't use the belt everytime you deadlift do you? If so it's defeating the purpose of doing deadlifts with a working set, because the belt takes the tension off of your lower back that your hitting the most, leading to a weak lower back that will greatly increase the chances of blowing out your lower back. The rule of thumb that ive heard is only use the belt when your maxing out on lifts.

As far as using gloves to improve grip, it doesn't work for me..like the other kid said it just prevent your hadns from getting caullaused. If worse comes to worse use straps when you do deadlifts, but before you do that i woudl try to work on your grip with excercises like farmers walk.

Pridg01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pridg01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pridg01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pridg01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pridg01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pridg01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pridg01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pridg01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pridg01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pridg01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pridg01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To give you an inspiration of doing the deadlift raw, Juha Rasasnen can do a set 10 deadlifting 660 without a belt, in normal clothes, and with only chalk...And height is not even on his side(he's 6'5), to give him an advantage. I'll post the pic.

127.0.0.1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bla,Bla,Bla...

You dont even know what chalk is and yet youre convincing ppl to use straps and a belt? How can you say that straps have more grip when a glove conforms to your entire hand? Gloves are made of a more tacky material than straps are, which are general some cheap piece of polyester crap.

If you had to use one of the two, I suggest gloves. But as aeterna said, do it raw and only use chalk if you have to.

Stop trying to conform everyone to your beliefs, it doesnt work that way in a democracy. [or whats left of it ]
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 05-28-2004 at 07:39 AM.

iOse is just really nice. (+1000) iOse is just really nice. (+1000) iOse is just really nice. (+1000) iOse is just really nice. (+1000) iOse is just really nice. (+1000) iOse is just really nice. (+1000) iOse is just really nice. (+1000) iOse is just really nice. (+1000) iOse is just really nice. (+1000) iOse is just really nice. (+1000) iOse is just really nice. (+1000)

my gloves make my grip way better.

skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Work your forearms...
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

If you like it, rep it.