pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Eliptical vs. Treadmill

I know the eliptical is low impact compared to the treadmill but how do they compare? What do some of you prefer? I like the eliptical but sometimes it feels like it not as an intense cardio as the treadmill. I'm starting to get shin splints so after a little bit on the treadmill my legs start to hurt. How much cardio do you have to do on an eliptical for it to be the same as what it would have been on the treadmill?

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They're both pretty crap. I'd pick the treadmill over the elliptical. Try the stepmill if you have one at your gym (don't hold onto the rails). Erg (rower) is also good.

pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pultzb has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    the gym im going to has an indoor track so im going to try that and see if that is as harsh on my shins. Treadmill is brutal so maybe the track wont be as bad. Stepmill is like a stairmaster?

rondertaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rondertaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rondertaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i'm 6'3" and the ellipticals at my gym are too f*cking small for me. i can't use them cause i feel like i'm taking tiny baby steps. i imagine at 6'2" you might be having a similar problem? i do cardio on a stepper or one of these ladder things

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by pultzb View Post
    the gym im going to has an indoor track so im going to try that and see if that is as harsh on my shins. Treadmill is brutal so maybe the track wont be as bad. Stepmill is like a stairmaster?

Originally Posted by rondertaker View Post
    i'm 6'3" and the ellipticals at my gym are too f*cking small for me. i can't use them cause i feel like i'm taking tiny baby steps. i imagine at 6'2" you might be having a similar problem? i do cardio on a stepper or one of these ladder things
    I dont really have a problem with the elipticals being small. Steppers can be a good cardio though.

danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Canadian Iron View Post
    They're both pretty crap. I'd pick the treadmill over the elliptical. Try the stepmill if you have one at your gym (don't hold onto the rails). Erg (rower) is also good.
    I don't see how the elliptical is crap. If you're using it on level 2 and just gliding for 30 minutes then of course it is crap. You gotta challenge yourself regardless with cardio to get decent results. 90% of the people who use the elliptical don't challenge themselves. They set it on a low level and read RedBook for 30 minutes thinking they are burning a few hundred calories that the readout tells them. I use the stepmill machine sometimes but mainly use the elliptical but set it on a high resistance level so that I barely make it through my cardio. It's all about how you exert yourself during the cardio, not the machine.

Originally Posted by danstjohn View Post
    I don't see how the elliptical is crap. If you're using it on level 2 and just gliding for 30 minutes then of course it is crap. You gotta challenge yourself regardless with cardio to get decent results. 90% of the people who use the elliptical don't challenge themselves. They set it on a low level and read RedBook for 30 minutes thinking they are burning a few hundred calories that the readout tells them. I use the stepmill machine sometimes but mainly use the elliptical but set it on a high resistance level so that I barely make it through my cardio. It's all about how you exert yourself during the cardio, not the machine.
    Stepmill is more "real world" than elliptical. The more "real" exercises are often better ones.

rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbyman12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

My guess is if you find a treadmill brutal you're gonna have a shock on the indoor track! Yes they're springy with the rubber, but its still pretty high impact running on them.

justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am 6'2" and the Proform 900 Elliptical I use has multiple stride lengths. At the longest length, it feels very natural. And I get just as worn out as I do running 5 miles, except without any pain in my feet.

nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i prefer the elliptical, low impact, and i feel it gets the job done
    My Workout Journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142212621

3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ^^^

don't get caught up with the numbers burned on these machines. just challenge yourself each time and it'll work. i personally used these when i was cutting cause i hate running (shin splints).

Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i like setting the tredmill at a high incline and semi fast speed, try it for 15 min ull be burnt

danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) danstjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Stepmill is more "real world" than elliptical. The more "real" exercises are often better ones.
    You're mistaken. Some people have issues with doing 'real world' cardio exercises like running and other high impact cardio. I used to run 20-25 miles a week for 3 1/2 years and now I can't run more than 2 at a time without my back cramping up. If I can get a workout as intense or even more intense without pounding my knees/feet into the ground then I'm gonna do it. It'd be stupid not to. Like I said, you can't really measure the cardio workout by the exercise rather than the intensity.

nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You're mistaken. Some people have issues with doing 'real world' cardio exercises like running and other high impact cardio. I used to run 20-25 miles a week for 3 1/2 years and now I can't run more than 2 at a time without my back cramping up. If I can get a workout as intense or even more intense without pounding my knees/feet into the ground then I'm gonna do it. It'd be stupid not to. Like I said, you can't really measure the cardio workout by the exercise rather than the intensity.
    100% agreed
    My Workout Journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142212621

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

those are fantastic. and yes, dont hold the rails.
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    the reason that the original poster may have chin splints is due to his shoes, make sure you wear running shoes when running, eliptical it doesnt realy matter. but def running shoes for treadmill
    Here to help!

The Archangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Archangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Archangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Archangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Archangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Archangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Archangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Archangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Archangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Archangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Archangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I for one have never, ever been able to actually run on a treadmill. I love running on an indoor track, though. Don't care much for the elliptical, but I absolutely love Arc Trainers. My gym has both, and while similiar, they are worlds apart in the way they feel and they're also non impact.

Good shoes will help alot when running. When I run on a track, I run on my toes, not my heels. Isn't that the correct way? I see alot of people running on their heels.

Abe313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abe313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abe313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abe313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abe313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abe313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abe313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abe313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abe313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abe313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abe313 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Get some good shoes, I had shin splits from runing and I changed my shoes 2 weeks later the pain was gone. good luck

v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000)
    i have ankle and knee pain once i start jogging on the street 3 times a week for long enough for it to do any good.
    Same with the treadmill.
    I even have pretty decent running shoes too.
    Thats why I use the elliptical, I set it for intervals, and do 15-20 minutes at the end of every workout, I sprint the high resistance part, and fast walk the lower resistance. It seems to work for me pretty well, I come off of it sweating like crazy, heart rate is WAY up, and the fat flows off sort of like water...

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    the king ^

btw nothing easy about either. the maximum level on an eliptical is almost unmovable.. put the levels up and do some hiit/sprinting on it and try and tell me its not a challenge.
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

jesus thinks youre a jerk ehlpitel's Avatar
    ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think your heart recognizes the difference b/w whether you're running on a treadmill/track/elliptical/etc.

If you're trying to specialize for a sport I imagine you'd want to do w/e mimicks the sport in a closer manner.

If your heart is beating fast it's beating fast.

Personally I like the elliptical b/c I was never into running/athletics when I was younger, so when I got heavier and decided to do cardio, my knees and shins didn't appreciate all the stress.

Elliptical gets my vote.

Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    exactly.

100 calories burned on an elliptical is the same as 100 calories burned on another machine.

Saying one machine is better than another for burning fat is retarded. Its like saying dumbbells are better than barbells for building muscle. Its just a tool.

Granted, it may be easier for one person to get up a good rhythm on one machine than another, but in the end, it all boils down to how many calories you burned.

Originally Posted by JH34PG View Post
    the reason that the original poster may have chin splints is due to his shoes, make sure you wear running shoes when running, eliptical it doesnt realy matter. but def running shoes for treadmill
    I wear tennis shoes when i run....the shoes have nothing to do with it.

hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I wear tennis shoes when i run....the shoes have nothing to do with it.
    actually it does. I overpronate, and it leads to shin slints (for me I ended up getting stress fractures in my tibia and fibula in both legs) and so I need a shoe that has good arch support. Nike kills my feet..but Asics are amazing. Shoes can make all the difference and prevent injury.

another thing is that you should stretch really well beforehand, and there are shin stretches to do too...look em up.

TarzanStL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TarzanStL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TarzanStL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TarzanStL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TarzanStL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TarzanStL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TarzanStL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TarzanStL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TarzanStL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TarzanStL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TarzanStL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nobody has mentioned my personal fave...the stationary bike, it's my fave and I think it works great. Very low impact and gives a great cardio workout. Next in line is the eliptacal. Just my two cents