xcjetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcjetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcjetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcjetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When people give you pointers at the gym

Do people ever try and give you "advice" at the gym?

If its the owner or one of the trainers I usually take the advice, even if it might be a little embarassing.

I hate when regular people try and give me advice though. Especially if its wrong.

EX-On a thursday i see my friends dad there. im doing a chest workout
    next day I see him again, im loading the squat bar.
    he tells me: "its bad to lift weights two days in a row."
    i say: "im doing my legs today, yesterday i did chest."
    he says: "I dont know youre gonna get hurt that way."

aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what you mean by regular people some "regular people can give you quality advise also" lol

liquidvet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liquidvet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liquidvet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liquidvet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liquidvet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liquidvet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liquidvet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liquidvet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liquidvet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liquidvet is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liquidvet is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It is considered rude gym etiquette though. I mean unless you see someone slinging weight or using extremely bad form and they are going to hurt themselves or others severely, you should just mind your own business.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nobody ever talks to me there :/

because i train by myself, hehe

erikido has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion

Shouldn't that have been posted in the "sex" section?:P

Mr. Widebody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To me, unles you are new to weightlifting, the gym is the worst place to be. Teenage newbies, steroid trainers trying to give regular natural people advice. I am glad I lift alone, which gave me time to experiment and come up with excellent ways to get bigger. Instead of the stupid ego lifting I used to do at the gym, trying to lift heavier than everyone which is not worth ****.

Originally posted by erikido
    Shouldn't that have been posted in the "sex" section?:P

Squatman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squatman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squatman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squatman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love being in the gym. I get motivated by watching guys who are bigger and stronger than me. I also get new ideas for routines/nutrition and get guys to watch form and spot for me. After you've been in a gym for a while, you learn who the hardcores and who the posers are, so you know who to take advice from and when to ignore it.

I agree with liquidvet though. It's rude to give unsolicited advice. Also not a great idea to ask someone for advice when they're in the middle of their workout. Wait till their done and most guys are more than happy to talk to you and share their experiences.
    Cutting!

Started at 235. Now I'm around 200 and on my way to 190.

IndyRugby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always see older guys doing things wrong ex: Ridiculously rocking on bicep curls or doing 1/4 squats. I never want to tell them what they're doing wrong, because It might offend them coming from me, a teenager. Being a smaller guy, I always get asked if I need a spot, because people dont think Im as strong as I am or that I am that advanced of a lifter, that pisses me off a little.

SimonSack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I dont think ive ever seen any1 give out advice in my gym. Get the occasional chatting between friends and thats it. I just turn the music up when i get in the weights room and every1 is tight lipped.

I wouldnt dream of giving out advice even tho the vast majoirty of the people in my gym need it.

The amount of people who swing their whole body on bicep curls, and as for the people who always bench the same weight.......

BCDOHS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Tell them you don't subscribe to FLEX, and continue with your drop snatches.

Odan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Odan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Odan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Odan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Odan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Odan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Odan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Odan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, I kinda hate it when people give other people advise when it's a preference thing. I agree with whoever said that you should just shut your trap unless they are doing it just plain wrong or are going to hurt themselves.
    Summer Football Training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=290322

Feel free to comment and read along.

txtadik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i really want to tell this guy it's useless putting on a crapload of weight on the bar (for benching) if he only lowers the bar 2 inches and pushes it up again... then does the exact same exercise for 8sets... then walks out of the gym

love_to_lift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've bit my tongue so many times when I heard the "clank! clank! clank!" of a machine weight stack being dropped with no control after every rep of a set. You would think that the trainers hired by the gym would at least say something...but they're usually busy stuffing their faces with doughnuts to notice. 24 hr. Fitness sucks...but it's too damn cheap to go elsewhere.

IronEagle86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by aszxcv
    what you mean by regular people some "regular people can give you quality advise also" lol
    you know exactly what he meant.. you're just trying to be a dickhead

upandcomming has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) upandcomming has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) upandcomming has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) upandcomming has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) upandcomming has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) upandcomming has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) upandcomming has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion

no the true answer to all of us that work alone is.... because everyones scared of us because we are so big!
    mike

Chemically Imbalanced Wanker527's Avatar
    Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i rarely train anywhere but at home. when i have actually trained at a gym, i've never had anyone try to give me advice. they just look at me like i'm an alien when i do certain lifts like deadlifts, powercleans, etc.

i did, however, get asked once by these two kids (probably 15 years old) some questions one day. they approached me after one of my sets and were like "uh, hey man, what do you do for triceps?" i finished my workout with them and talked with them both for about an hour after my workout giving them pointers, tips on basic movements, diet, etc. i came back 5 or 6 months later and they were there at the power rack, trading sets of squats....i was so proud i could've cried
    "Oderint dum metuant." -Lucius Accius

Originally posted by Wanker527
    i rarely train anywhere but at home. when i have actually trained at a gym, i've never had anyone try to give me advice. they just look at me like i'm an alien when i do certain lifts like deadlifts, powercleans, etc.

i did, however, get asked once by these two kids (probably 15 years old) some questions one day. they approached me after one of my sets and were like "uh, hey man, what do you do for triceps?" i finished my workout with them and talked with them both for about an hour after my workout giving them pointers, tips on basic movements, diet, etc. i came back 5 or 6 months later and they were there at the power rack, trading sets of squats....i was so proud i could've cried
    *sniff* heart-warming

aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aszxcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

Originally posted by IronEagle86
    you know exactly what he meant.. you're just trying to be a dickhead

spytech is just really nice. (+1000) spytech is just really nice. (+1000) spytech is just really nice. (+1000) spytech is just really nice. (+1000) spytech is just really nice. (+1000) spytech is just really nice. (+1000) spytech is just really nice. (+1000) spytech is just really nice. (+1000) spytech is just really nice. (+1000) spytech is just really nice. (+1000) spytech is just really nice. (+1000)
    ill never give unsolicited advice - even if someone is about to break a limb performing with too much weight and poor form. However, I get asked questions all the time and am happy to help - unless it is the 'are you using that?' question while performing a heavy squat.

invast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Wanker527

lol, that is actual pretty cool imo. I bet you felt like a big brother

Saving Muscle Since 2004 SavesTheMuscle's Avatar
    SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I feel like I should give adivce, but they'll probably just continue with it anyway.

Example, I was in the gym the other day, and I see about 3 guys doing arnold presses, with 1 spotter for each, so that's 6 guys total doing arnold presses (the spotter would later do his set , etc) I felt like telling them to do millitary presses because of r/c strain and etc. Same with upright rows. I just looked away in digust...same thing with knees going over toes in squats- I see it all the time.

and ugh, I was going to squat on my leg day one day, when this bastard was using the squat rack for his curls!!!None the less with HORRIBLE form, putting his back into to it , etc.

Thank God no knowledgable people use the gym at 5:00 am.
    Workout Log:
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=5195771#post5195771[/url]

Big Supplment Review: Updated as of 8/1/04
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=32c727bafc0d97038e2f325a8e7a9f20&threadid=295441[/url]

"Sucess is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchhill

niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) niceasey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I get really annoyed when you see people doing exercises so badly that they are not only a danger to themselves but to anyone else in a 10m radius.

A few weeks back a guy was doing laterals and almost bending down and using his upwards motion to swing the DB's up. He let go of one of the DB's and it smashed onto one of the benches.

Somtimes i wish I had the confidence to go and correct these muppets!
    http://www.myspace.com/nicholaseasey

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If some goof sticks their nose in where it isn't wanted, and gives unsolicited advice, just ignore them. Don't even acknowledge their presence or react to anything they say; look straight through them as if they weren't even there.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nobody gives me advice, but thats probably because they ask me for it/I tell them, based on my opinions

People are there to get bigger, so by adding my 2cents they can be that much larger sooner. I dont see why I need to mind my own business, and think about it, this forum is a perfect place to find out tips/tricks for getting big.

90% of people in the gym know curls do arms, leg extensions does legs, and pec deck does chest (ie their knowledge is very limited).

One guy called "Ash" had been 75kg for 2YEARS!! He asked me for advice, (i knew it would be diet), told him to eat ...400g protein a day and he shot up 2kg in one week, and progressing very well, and even came and thanked me, "Id still be hanging around 75kg if it wasnt for the nutrition tips", and I was glad to help.

"the little french guy" I now have doing a 3day fullbody split, and being visabily(sp?) bigger each time.

Sometimes you cant tell them though,

Chris is my mate Iv known from the gym, I tell him to eat, thats all hes got to do to packing on some serious mass, but he just doesnt do it.

I was fortunate to find these forums, so I'm spreading my knowledge----i enjoy helping people.

(Granted Im pretty big, they trust me my advice, but however Im not so sure what cant of reaction a 110ib pound would get if he gave a "swinger" legitate advice)---You can always try.
    RACKITUP's Training logg, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=464176

<--Sea here?

NEWSFLASH
    **Fat guys eat too many carbs
    Muscley guys eat alot of protein
    Skinny guys argue that you dont need protein**