morning toilet squat king jimdab's Avatar
    jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow Help me make the right decision, need opinions

I used to be super fat, 300lbs. Now I'm just pretty fat, 200lbs, and I got lots of loose skin and not lots of muscle, but I've been working out for the last 5 years on and off. Mostly on.

I need opinions on what I should do to look better. I know I can't look great but I want to look as good as possible since I got all the extra skin. * Pics are attached *

(Sorry the lighting sucks in the pictures. I used a camera phone and my window is opposite my mirror so it glares)

Should I just try to lose more fat since I still have a lot to lose? Or should I try to just bulk up and gain lots of muscle so I can fill in my loose skin, then cut? I'd hate to be really fat in the summer though. I really would like some opinions to help me decide what to do short of a tummy tuck operation.

Stats: 6'1", 203lbs, 25yrs old, 18-20%ish bodyfat (you be the judge from the pictures)

Extra info if it matters: I just started the Ripptoe's SS routine. My last workouts included squat 160x5, bench 135x5, deadlift 195x5, and 5 chinups in a set. I am making strength gains but very slowly. I eat about 2200 calories and don't gain or lose weight. I sleep 7-8 hours each night. I eat lots of protein and healthy carbs and healthy fats and take vitamins. Among my friends, I'm a health nut. My metabolism sucks. It's super easy for me to gain weight but very hard to lose weight.

My journal has lots of more info but is very long and unnecessary to read. A link is in my sig.

I've been on this board for a while now and have never posted anything like this, I would really like some help. Thanks.
    Attached Images
    My journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=785650

depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you don't really want to bulk until you're at most 11-12% bf IMO, because you're bound to gain some fat (well, MOST likely) when you bulk, and if you're not at a solid BF% to begin with, it's not going to make you happy..to get the results you really want, cut first, then bulk..more lean muscle mass (lower bf) will also help you to make better gains

jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks! That's what I want to hear, I just want to make sure there isn't any reason against me cutting. I am already eating only 2300 calories and maintaining, if I cut I may have to eat less than 2000, which seems strange for a 200lb man. I hate my metabolism.

I am afraid if I cut I will get even weaker though, but I guess it's the best way for me in the long run, to cut now and bulk later.

Time to up the cardio.

depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depo12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jimdab View Post
    Thanks! That's what I want to hear, I just want to make sure there isn't any reason against me cutting. I am already eating only 2300 calories and maintaining, if I cut I may have to eat less than 2000, which seems strange for a 200lb man. I hate my metabolism.

I am afraid if I cut I will get even weaker though, but I guess it's the best way for me in the long run, to cut now and bulk later.

Time to up the cardio.
    you shouldn't have to go under 2000 calories to cut, especially if you up the cardio...I have a slow metabolism also, but I've been cutting for a while and I've sped it up somewhat and learned to deal with what I have...try and stay at around 2000, not under it, and if you have to, increase the cardio..how much cardio are you planning on doing?

you may get a little weaker, but if you're just starting there's a possibility that you may even get stronger...just keep workin hard, it'll come

8===D~~~~ (.) (.) p0opstlnksal0t's Avatar
    p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    id say stay right around 2000 cals for cuttin as well. and if you find your not losing, up the cardio. i however lost alot of weight real quick, from 330 down below 230, then bulked for 3 mos, then started cutting again. honestly im glad i bulked because i put on some serious muscle mass in the time of 3 mos. my upper body got pretty big, so it evens me out. i now look skinnier than i am because my waist taper down from my chest/upper body. whereas before i started my lower body was bigger than my upper body. lol.
    MY PROGRESS PICS 330lbs-50%bf to 225lbs 19.5%bf
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2233281

Im Back!!! with progress pics... 330lbs to 230lbs.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2112301

British Bulldog lespaulsarecool's Avatar
    lespaulsarecool is on a distinguished road. (+10) lespaulsarecool is on a distinguished road. (+10) lespaulsarecool is on a distinguished road. (+10) lespaulsarecool is on a distinguished road. (+10) lespaulsarecool is on a distinguished road. (+10) lespaulsarecool is on a distinguished road. (+10) lespaulsarecool is on a distinguished road. (+10) lespaulsarecool is on a distinguished road. (+10) lespaulsarecool is on a distinguished road. (+10) lespaulsarecool is on a distinguished road. (+10) lespaulsarecool is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    clean bulk!
    MSc Forensic Mental Health Candidate
    MA Social Work (2008)
    MSc. Forensic Psychology (2006)
    BSc. (Hons) Psychology (2004)

Currently 11.3% Bodyfat 5 point test 31/08/2007

"the key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" Brandon Lee

www.manutd.com

United is Life, the rest are mere details.

pnycar69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pnycar69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pnycar69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pnycar69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pnycar69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pnycar69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pnycar69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pnycar69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pnycar69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pnycar69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pnycar69 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Firstl off... Congratulations!

Now Im sure you know that the excess skin you are carrying around weighs a bunch. So if that were not there, what do you think your weight would be. I would venture somewhere around 175 to 180. I think you should go get your bodyfat percentage tested by someone who knows how to do it. Im not sure, but I would think the excess skin has an effect on the readings.

Don't resign yourself to the fact that you can't look good. I think you can look great. You just need to address a few more things first.

It takes a long time for your skin to recuperate from that much fat loss. And yes it will never get back to where it would be if you had never gained the weight.

However, you can and should probably bulk up. By bulking, you are filling in the space so to speak.

Either way its your choice. There are others on this site who will tell you that a lot of your excess skin will seem to fade away if you get into single digit bodyfat. Im just not sure what your real bodyfat is.

I think you are probably less than 18%.
    -------------------------------------------------
    My favorite quotes:

I drank what?

I lift weights because they don't lift themselves.

There are plenty of weights still to the right side of the rack.

Heres a green pill for ya.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. Very much appreciated.

I think I've decided what I want.

Since I really don't want to get more fat than I am, especially this summer when I'm finally getting the guts to take off my shirt at the beach, I will cut down to 185ish and and then later do a long slow clean bulk up to 210.

How does this sound?...

To cut I will consume 2000 calories and aim for 30+ mins of cardio 4 times a week. I will follow Ripptoe's Starting Strength routine which I just started (mostly compound lifts at 5 reps per set). I won't expect many gains in terms of strength, but I hope not to lose much lean body mass.

To bulk, I will eat 2700 calories and will cut the cardio down to 20 minutes 4x a week. I will continue with Ripptoe's SS routine until I stop seeing gains.

Does all that sound like a good plan?