Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking I'm about to do a 2.9Km steeplechase. I can't run. Help! + Pose Method

OK background. I'm in reasonable shape, I've been working out for maybe 3 years seriously, and I've been pretty hardcore ( 3 - 5 days in the gym a week, reasonable split program) since december. I'm about 175lbs cutting hardcore now, maybe 10% or less BF max Ive been is about 205lbs 14%.

Basically i was a fat **** in high school, got a clue at about 17 and have done pretty well since. my cardio is usually elliptical, bike or rower or a walk on a nice day ( usually with a 15lbs load)

I'm about to join a local Territorial army unit ( national guard for you yanks) and while I'll breeze most of it the one thing that worries me is if I want to earn my para wings in around september part of the course is a 2.9Km steeple chase.

basically I can't run for **** ;p I've never trained for it, I never played much sport, I can walk very fast for hours with a good load but I can barely jog for 3 minutes! I figure I'll do better under pressure but can anyone give me some tips on getting in to this, especially with the steeplechase in mind. I've got descent runners ( solomon trail shoes) and gear, so thats sorted so its really a training routine I need. I have plenty of spare time to train in.

I've heard of Pose Method ( http://www.posetech.com/ )running before that meant to be more efficient. sounds silly but I do think my running technique must suck I'm not a particularly co-ordinated guy!

done a few HIIT style sprint / walks which totally sucks it out of me but ought to help, is this the right kind of track? is running on flat , but harder, concrete better than broken ground for the joints?
    Last edited by Nutz; 05-18-2004 at 04:49 AM.
    I /Like/ emos! well, the girls.

Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think you can get a good plan in order if you are willing to work hard. Distance isn't really my thing, but I know what a lot of our better distance and XC people do. It'd be best to split up your workouts Hard-Easy-Hard-Easy-Hard-Easy-Rest getting up to 50-60 miles (maybe less your first couple weeks). Here's a basic thing that can work, feel free to have others critique it and change some things:

Day 1: 10 x 400m done at 70-75% with 3 minutes recovery between each rep. In between each rep, do some bodyweight and core work--lots of different abs exercises, push-ups, stretching, etc.

Day 2: Over distance-- Warm up thorougly and then jog 4-6 miles. Try to keep the same pace throughout your jog and do not push yourself. The easy days are meant for recovery purposes and building some endurance.

Day 3: 5 x 600m done run at your goal pace for the Steeplechase with 3 minutes recovery between each rep.

Day 4: Warm up thoroughly and jog 2-4 miles

Day 5: 15 x 200m with walk back recovery done at a pace slightly better than that of your goal time in the Steeplechase.

Day 6: Warm-up thorougly and jog up to 4 miles.

Day 7: Take it easy.

With this split, you are working at getting any necessary speed and muscular endurance needed on day 1 and 5. You are trying to get a feel for the pace you will run on Day 3. Days 2, 4, and 6 serve as days to build your endurance and fill your muscles with nutrients to aid recovery. This may be really tough for a beginner, so feel free to change and of the "hard" days with an easy day.

Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000)
    On the topic of form, make sure your foot is land directly below your hips or very close to it. Keep up right and have proper knee lift. Think about running tall and in rhythm. Running in rhythm has always helped me stay on pace in longer runs.

EDIT: coming near time for your run (Late July early August), I would work in some runs on a Steeplechase course, if possible, to get the feel for that type of race.

APerfectCircle will become famous soon enough. (+50) APerfectCircle will become famous soon enough. (+50) APerfectCircle will become famous soon enough. (+50) APerfectCircle will become famous soon enough. (+50) APerfectCircle will become famous soon enough. (+50) APerfectCircle will become famous soon enough. (+50) APerfectCircle will become famous soon enough. (+50) APerfectCircle will become famous soon enough. (+50) APerfectCircle will become famous soon enough. (+50) APerfectCircle will become famous soon enough. (+50) APerfectCircle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dude those are ALOT of reps and I highly doubt he could handle those, especially since he's not in shape...

Originally posted by APerfectCircle
    Dude those are ALOT of reps and I highly doubt he could handle those, especially since he's not in shape...
    Yes but he isn't SPRINTING these. In the 400's, these are to be done at essentially a tempo pace that he can complete even his last rep with due to the low intensity and adequate (sp) rest. In the 5 x 600m, he is running at the pace he will need to run for his race. Granted there is more distance, there is also more rest, however. With the 15 x 200m, he is also running at about the same pace, slightly faster, than what he will need for his actual race. I agree, this may be high, but he can certainly start at levels near these. 7 x 400m maybe the first week and 4 x 600m and 12 x 200m. I think he can definitely be successful with this as long as adequate recovery methods are used and workouts are stopped if performance drops off significantly throughout. The reps throughout all the workouts should be about the same with the focus on keeping a rhythm.

I also think he can change in a hard day here and there with a simple thorough warm-up and jog if he starts to feel over trained and in need for some "active rest."

Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000)
    thanks for the responses!

it does look tough, but I think I can try and stick it out. running is about the only thing I feel I 'cant do' physically full stop so I'm psyched to get it sorted regardless of the para selection tests.

2.9Km = about 2 miles, and some research suggests its more of an obstacle course then a hurdle event which encourages me. I've got a long time to get it sorted and I don't have to worry about yomping with the load I could probably do that before I was in shape!

thanks for the tips, I think I'll mix some of what you suggested with some stuff I got from runners world ( walk 2mins, run 2 mins etc: protocols ) I'll also try and use this pose method thing to refine my technique.

usually I lift split mon / wed / fri for about 40 mins (usualy 10*4 * 5 exercises pretty intense) and currently do cardio every weekday morning. adding 30 mins - 1hr running 4 weekday afternoons is going to be overtraining even with cardio being 65%HR 50 minute sessions isnt it?

think I'll dial down the weight intenstiy ( as I am cutting, so im not going to gain just maintain right now) and see how It goes for a week.
    Last edited by Nutz; 05-19-2004 at 01:35 AM.
    I /Like/ emos! well, the girls.

heavysprout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heavysprout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here is a great book to get as it will help someone who can barely get a mile done in 10 minutes up to an elite 4:00 miler.

The Self-Coached Runner II: Cross Country and the Shorter Distances
    by Allan Lawrence, Mark Scheid

You can find a used copy online or a new one at any bookstore or e-store with a decent sports section.

It will take you from the 100m sprint up to a half marathon training schedule. It breaks each race (100,400,800, mile, 5k, etc) into a group based on your predicted finishing time (it helps you figure that out as well by using your 400/800 time).

I used it as a runner and as a coach (13 years now)...I'm on my second copy.

As for the steeple portion, I used to have our college steeplechaser jump everything he could on our off track runs...shrubs, ditches, park benches, fences, you name it. If it could be lept over or scaled I sent him over it. Remember after awhile most of those guys will be scaling over the obstacles more than actually 'jumping over' them.

Like I said the book is great because it will help you build a base (as to not get injured) and then it will take you along as your speed and enduarnce increases.

Any ?s feel free to PM me.

S
    Sprout

"you're a stubborn little bugger aren't you?"