sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

sixzero's lower body fat and good diet journal

For those who don't know me I am new to the site and have been working out since January. My goal is in my sig, it is to lower my body fat % and to get healthier. I plan on keeping up with this journal and updating daily. All useful information that might help with my training is appreciated.

Height: 5'7
    Weight: 170lbs

-I've got the hard to lose fat around my waste I've been trying to get rid of since my childhood.
    -My goal is to get my bf% to single digits.
    -I work out Mon-Fri from 11:30-12:45 (lunch time), I also work out on Saterday.
    ---------------------------------------

Here is what my daily diet looks like:

7:00:

-GNC Vanilla Protien 20g w/ silk soy milk & water
    -Oatmeal (not sure what brand, not quaker)
    -1 cup of Rainsin Brand w/ silk soy milk (planning on switching to Fiber 1 once I finish with this box).
    -Egg whites (2 or 3)

*If I eat oatmeal I don't eat raisin brand vice versa.

10:00:

-GNC vanilla Protien Shake w/ soymilk & water
    -wheat bread w/ 2tbsp of peter pan creamy peanut butter

*it's hard for me to eat a meal at this time, what I eat at this time changes daily.

11:30-12:45: Workout
    *I drink a protien shake immediately after my workout

3:00: At this time I usually eat chicken breast with spinach or tuna with spinach.

5:00: My largest meal is consumed at this time (this meal changes daily) Consists of chicken/meat, vegetables, and a small amount of carbs. Everything is made fresh.

8:00 Protien shake

10:00: Sleep.

other info:
    -1000mg of vitamin C/day
    -I just started drinking my protien shakes with 1tbsp of flax oil, and 1teaspoon of fiber.
    -I am trying to decrease the amount of protien shakes I consume to 1-2/day.
    -It is hard for me to consume 2000 calories/day, and my protien consumption is usually 120-150g/day.
    --------------------------------------

My workout:

Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Cardio/abs
    Wednesday: Arms (bi's/tri's
    Thursday: Cardio/abs
    Friday: Arms/Shoulders
    Saterday: Cardio/abs

*This was my workout from Jan-April but recently it has changed to a push and pull routine. I know my workout schedule could be improved. Suggestions/Feedback is appreciated.

When I started in Jan. my bf% was 21.8%, in March it was 18.6%. My goal/mission is to burn the fat in my waist area along with getting healthier. Once I achieve this goal I would like to bulk up (my goal is not to get too big). Thanx for taking the time to read in advance.
    Last edited by sixzero; 05-16-2004 at 04:33 PM.
    Daily dedication...

ManofSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManofSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManofSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManofSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManofSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManofSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManofSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManofSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManofSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManofSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ManofSteel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why don't you do anything for back or legs???

sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Friday

Friday is usually the day I do the muscles I havn't workout out. On cardio days I might do:

Tuesday: shoulders/cardio
    Thursday: back/cardio
    Saterday: legs/cardio

I am trying to tweak my routine so it could be perfect or better. Any suggestions?
    Daily dedication...

dengar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try this:

Monday: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
    Tuesday: Cardio/abs
    Wednesday: Back/Biceps
    Thursday: Cardio/abs
    Friday: Legs
    Saturday: Cardio/abs
    Sunday: Rest

What I was thinking...

That's what I was thinking! Does everyone agree that this is the routine to go with? I did ab's tonight (just a few flutter kicks aka scissor kicks).

Tomorrow's breakfast:

-protien shake w/ 1tsp of fiber, 1tbsp of flax oil omega-3, 3 strawberries, and soy milk.

-1 cup of kashi (crunch) w/ soy milk

-3 egg whites

How does this sound?
    Daily dedication...

Monday: Chest/Tri's

Chest:

Dumbell press:

-60lbs (each dumbell) warmup 10x
    -70lbs 10x
    -80lbs 10x
    -90lbs 7x

Incline:

-120lbs 10x
    -140lbs 8x
    -145lbs 6x

Decline dumbell press:

-65lbs 10x
    -70lbs 8x
    -60lbs 8x (I think I was burnt out because my left arm was holding me down)

Burnouts:

(7 on each side) 5lbs weights (killer)

Tri's:

Lateral pull down

-60lbs 10x
    -80lbs 8x
    -90lbs 6x

I did 1 more tri exercise on a machine but I don't remember the name of it.

It is 3:17am and so far I have consumed:

Calories: 1100
    Protien: 75g
    Carb: 191g
    Fat: 57g

*I will post the end of the day total @ 10:00pm
    Daily dedication...

Dinner

I just had chicken breast, vegetables, spinach, and FRESH! 100% whole wheat spaghetti. My wife cooks most of the food from scratch and she just bought a spaghetti maker yesterday (might not be good for my carb intake). I have a protien shake (same as morning shake) scheduled @ 8pm.

My chest and arms feel great from today's workout.
    Daily dedication...

Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    OK. Just a few suggestions.

Definitely tweak yoru weight routine to include back and legs in there. I usually do:

Chest/Tris
    Back/Bis
    Shoulders/Forearms
    Legs

But you can switch it up. Just make sure you hit each bodypart.

In your diet, instead of Peter Pan peanut butter, get some natural peanut butter. It is better.

Also, consume 40-50g of carbs after your workout along with your protein shake. You need carbs/protein post workout. Other than that, your diet looks pretty good. After the end of the day, I would post everything you have eaten, don't do it meal by meal in separate posts. Include the calorie intake, protein, carb, and fat intake.

I would consume 1780-2000 calories a day if I were you.

Try to follow a 40/40/20 protein/carb/fat split, or a 50-30-20 split. try http://www.fitday.com to help you with this.

That means 40 % of your calories come from carbs, 40 % from protein, 20 % from fat.

Let me know how it goes, I will be reading this journal.

What I do..

I record that cals, pro, carb, and fat in a paper based meal tracker but will check out the link you gave me. I'm about to have my last shake/meal of the day. After I will post what I ate today, thanx for the suggestions.
    Daily dedication...

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wouldn't do cardio the day before and after legs. That would hinder your leg gains.

There is no need to do burnouts.

For triceps, I would do skullcrushers, dips, or close grip bench press (just pick two of them).

Would you consider switching the decline presses to leaning forward dips? If so, then just do close grip bench press and skullcrushers for triceps.

Originally posted by Heisman
    I wouldn't do cardio the day before and after legs. That would hinder your leg gains.

There is no need to do burnouts.

For triceps, I would do skullcrushers, dips, or close grip bench press (just pick two of them).

Would you consider switching the decline presses to leaning forward dips? If so, then just do close grip bench press and skullcrushers for triceps.
    If I shouldn't do legs before or after cardio then when do you suggest I do legs? I will tweak my schedule and see if I could fit it in at a better day. When I do burnouts it feels great! Is there a specific reason of why this isn't to my advantage? I never thought of forward dips, great suggestion. Thanx for the tips in advance.
    Daily dedication...

Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by sixzero
    If I shouldn't do legs before or after cardio then when do you suggest I do legs? I will tweak my schedule and see if I could fit it in at a better day. When I do burnouts it feels great! Is there a specific reason of why this isn't to my advantage? I never thought of forward dips, great suggestion. Thanx for the tips in advance.

you can do your cardio the day after your leg day, but make sure your legs are well rested for your leg workout day.

legs

Then would you do something like this:

Monday: Chest/tri's
    Tuesday: Legs
    Wednesday: Bi's/Back
    Thursday: Cardio/ab's
    Friday: Shoulders ??? (what else can I do on this day?) I can't do shoulders on monday because I don't have enough time.
    Saterday: Cardio/ab's

Does this look like a better schedule? If someone can tell me before 11:30am it would be appreciated. Not sure if I'm going to do legs or cardio today as scheduled, depends on the feedback.
    Daily dedication...

Sorry didn't make it in time. That split looks pretty good, it would work I think. I tell you what also helped me lose some weight/fat.... I ran for 15 minutes at MODERATE intensity after each workout, except on my leg day, then I would have 2 days of high intensity cardio.

I did legs today and it looked something like this:

Squats:

weight: 95lbs x 10
    weight: 145lbs x 10
    weight: 125lbs x 10
    weight: 130lbs x 10
    weight: 145lbs x 10

I dropped after my 2nd set because for some reason (I think mental) I couldn't get it up. I made up for it though on my last set.

Leg Curl:

weight: 50lbs x 10
    weight: 60lbs x 10
    weight: 70lbs x 10

Leg Extension:

weight: 50lbs x 10
    weight: 70lbs x 10
    weight: 80lbs x 10

Calf Raises:

weight: 50lbs x 30

*I did a set of 30 because they were 3 different positions. I heard it worked different parts of the calf.

Feedback on my leg workout is appreciated. I also have another questions about circuit training, are they good/bad?
    Daily dedication...

The only thing I would suggest on your leg routine is to drop leg extensions and leg curls. In place of leg extensions add leg presses, there should be a machine in your gym. In place of leg curls I would do straight legged deadlifts. You do it just like a deadlift except you keep your legs fairly straight, slightly bent, but not very much.

I havn't posted in awhile because I've been busy.. Here's an update:

Wednesday:

Bi's/Back:

Cable one arm curl:

40lbs x 10
    50lbs x 10
    60lbs x 8

Cable Bar Curl:

70lbs x 10
    80lbs x 8
    90lbs x 6

Dumbell curl:

25lbs x 10
    30lbs x 10
    35lbs x 8

Back:

Cable seated row:

40lbs x 10
    50lbs x 10
    60lbs x 10

Dumbbell Bent-over Row:

30lbs x 10
    35lbs x 10
    40lbs x 10

Assisted pull up:

10x
    10x
    10x

*120lbs assisted

-------------------

Thursday

*This day was suppost to be cardio/abs but we were still sore from legs (tuesday) so we did abs/traps. Would you consider traps, a back workout? If so, was it smart to do it a day after a back workout?

Friday is scheduled to be shoulders, and if our legs feel good some cardio.
    Daily dedication...

I do traps on my shoulder days. Good workout there. Hope your legs heal up for some good old cardio

My protien shake & diet problem

My protien shake & diet problem
    I have a question about my homemade protien shake in the morning and at 8pm. This is what it looks like:

1 scoop protien shake
    1 teaspoon of fiber powder
    1 tablespoon of flax oil
    3 strawberries
    7 ice cubes
    1/2 cup of soy milk (milk allergy)

*sometimes when I run out of strawberries I substitute with 2tbls of peanut butter (not the natural kind...)

My question is I don't mind taking the flax in the morning but I'm scared to take it at night. Should I be? Why or why not?

2nd question:

My diet goes to hell after Friday! I have tried everything but I cannot stay with my 6 meals/day schedule, I cant stay with the amount of protien I consume MON-FRI. Is this hurting my diet? I always gain about 2lbs but lose it right after Monday. Suggestions are appreciated.
    Daily dedication...

Why can't you do your diet on Saturday? There is nothing wrong with having a cheat day every week, as long as it is controlled. I wouldn't eat cake and ice cream all day.

I am real disciplined on the weekdays but weekends I let loose and hang out with my girl (not a good thing for my diet). If I was as disciplined in the weekends I think my improvements would be doubled.

Here is what I did today:

Meal 1:

Shake w/ soy milk, 1 scoop of protien (20 g), 3 strawberries, 1 tbls of flax oil (omeg 3), and 1tsp of fiber powder (this is working).

1/2 cup of Fiber One cereal w/ soy milk, bananas, and strawberries.

3 egg whites w/ spinach

Meal 2: Oatmeal Bar (2 bars) for carbs pre-workout

Meal 3: Protien Shake w/ soymilk and water (20g)

Meal 4: 3oz tuna, 1/2 cup of spinach, 1/2 chicken breast

Meal 5: 8oz of beef, mash potatoes, and 1 cup of corn

Meal 6: Protien shake w/ soy milk, 1tsp of fiber powder, and 3 strawberries.

*Vitamins: 2000g of Vitamin C

Chest:

Barbell Incline:

140 x 10
    160 x 8
    165 x 8

Cable Decline Fly's:

40 x 10
    40 x 7
    50 x 6

Dumbbell Press:

60 x 10
    65 x 8
    70 x 6

Tri:

Cable pull down:

80 x 8
    90 x 6
    100 x 6

1 more tri workout but forgot the damn name of the exercise. I'll find it and edit later.

*I think it was a great workout and cannot wait for cardio tomorrow.
    Daily dedication...

Like I said, nothing wrong with a cheat day. On weekends during school I would drink beer. I would not advise doing this while cutting, but it is just an example that a day or 2 of cheating a week won't hurt as long as you don't go overboard. You are lucky that you have a girl to hang out with I thought I'd have one soon but I don't know if it will work out.

As for your workout today, looking solid. Maybe try some skullcrushers and close grip bench of triceps.

As for your diet, it looks good, but it is hard to tell what, if anything, needs to be changed unless you are counting calories, carbs, fat, and protein. Are you keeping track of these? It is a must for cutting and bulking

Tuesday

Tuesday:

Meal 1:

Meal 1: Shake w/ soy milk, 1 scoop of protien (20 g), 3 strawberries, 1 tbls of flax oil (omeg 3), and 1tsp of fiber powder (this is working).

1/2 cup of Fiber One cereal w/ soy milk, bananas, and strawberries.

3 egg whites w/ spinach and 1 cup of green tea

Meal 2: Oatmeal Bar (2 bars) for carbs pre-workout

Meal 3: Protien Shake w/ soymilk and water (20g)

Meal 4: 8oz of beef, mash potatoes, and 1 cup of corn

Meal 5: chicken breast w/ green beans and 1/2 cup of rice

Meal 6: Protien shake w/ soy milk, 1tsp of fiber powder, and 3 strawberries.

*Vitamins: 2000g of Vitamin C

Tuesday: Cardio

15 minutes of HIIT and 1 hour of "Wally Ball" (like volley ball)

The only issue I am dealing with right now is cutting down my Protien shakes from 3-4 to 1-2, I don't think I should be taking so many protien shakes but how else do you get the protien you need.

Confession: I stopped tracking what I consume daily only because I don't know what to believe. I have heard and read that I should consume 2000-2500 calories a day and 170g of protien. That is almost impossible for me, I am eating more now than I have ever, along with spending alot more money then I used to in food alone. When I did record what I ate daily it was almost never 2000 calories in order for me to do this I have to eat like a pig. I have also heard that if I wanted to burn fat that I had to consume less calories. I don't know what to believe...

So in other words I'm still looking for a solid diet and don't think it will take long before I find it. I think my workouts are finally improving. Brego, thanx for reading if you could answer a few of my questions and point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
    Daily dedication...

Look, you need to find out your BMR. Go here: http://www.hussman.org/fitness/bmrcalc.htm

enter in the info, and tell me what it says your BMR is in the range of. That will tell your how many calories to consume.

Splat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey hows it going my names nat and it sounds like we r in the same league from what i have read. it good to know im not the only one. sounds like u have got ur nutrition down pat. would love some advice on keeping on track with food.
    email- gigglepot83@hotmail.com

well it has been a very long time and I cannot believe that after reading posts from almost 2 years back that I am fairly in the same place... Very disappointing... almost embarrassing. I would say that I have made some improvements where nutrition education and balance is concerned... After reading my posts I noticed that I am still battling with the same weekend issues but am slowly (Really slow) improving... I have heard and have been told that there is nothing wrong with cheat days but it is the only thing that I can think of that is holding me back.... Saterdays and Sundays... that's when I let my guard down and that's when I lay around the house the most... I do work out on Saterday mornings (sometimes) but it doesnt seem to make a difference...

I can also say that my sleeping pattern is horrible and that my shoulder injury is holding me back as well... I am beginning to believe that my diet and workouts have to be perfect in order to make the improvements I am trying to make.... is this normal? I have the type of body that has most of it's body fat in the stomach, back, and some in face. My legs and arms are skinny as hell. I will try to continue posting in this log depending on how many people read it if any at all... There is no doubt that I have alot more knowledge and strength than I did 2 years ago but something is missing and I don't know what. Please help me finally achieve my goals. Thank you.
    Daily dedication...

This is what my day looked like today:

cardio day

7am

3 egg whites/2whole eggs
    veggies: green/red peppers, onions, and mushrooms
    meat: chicken pieces

my wife made homemade crepes so I used that as the cardio and rolled them up like a burrito

walmart multi-vitamin (1 a day brand) I'm planning on purchasing mega man from GNC after I run out of this.... I was also thinking on purchasing animal pak vitamins but I decided not too because of the price.

12oz coffee w/ creamer & 2 packs of splenda
    --------------------------------

around 10am

I had 1/2 of a myoplex original "ready-made" protein shake

Before my workout @ 11:30 I had a spark energy drink from advocare which is basically vitamins and caffeine.

Well today I was going to play basketball but the court was not reserved so I worked on legs instead.

I did not go heavy:

squats, calfs, leg machine (2) unfortunately I don't know the names but they are the basic leg machines at the gym. 1 for your thighs and the other for hamstrings... pathetic i know....

I went light on this workout.

----------------------

When I came back I drank a lot of water which I do throughout the day anyways... I don't drink juice or soda. If I'm not drinking water I'm drink yerba mate (tea). Anyways when I returned from the gym I had the other half of the myoplex shake and a couple of minutes later I had tuna fillets (30g pro) with 2 slices of wheat bread and some light mayo (not much maybe less than a tbsp).

Well by that time I was pretty full and just focused on work and drinking water because I was planning on playing basketball after work around 4pm.

3:30 B-ball: I played till about 5:30 and while I was playing I drank some water with gatorade powder which contained about 60g carbs/60g sugar (horrible) but I needed it and usually do after a tough workout. When I play ball I usually feel like I can pass out right after so bad that I'm still hurting and am about to pass out.

When I got home around 6pm my wife was making dinner and she gave me 2 tortillas with chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, red peppers. She was also making a home-made pan pizza with no oil.... So I ate 2 small pieces to humor her and myself.... The dinner didn't feel like much so about 30min. later I made a home-made protein shake w/ 2 scoops of ON vanilla protein & 4oz of yerba mate, 2oz of skim milk, and 2oz of apple concentrate.... I got this recipe from the myolplex protein shake book.

Since then I have been drinking water and sipping on yerba mate.

This is all I've consumed and done today. I have a desk job so my workouts are about the most activity I have a day. I know it's pathetic which is why I'm trying to play basketball at least 3-4 times a week. I know this will help me out with my goals.

I know that from the looks of it my diet might look like it needs help but I have tried a lot of different things. I've realized that I don't like the full feeling and would rather just eat till I've had enough. I eat about 6-8 small meals a day but at times I feel really full or bloaded...

These are the supplements I'm taking:

no-xplode
    cellmass
    multivitamin
    vitamin c pills
    flax seeds
    ON protein

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Daily dedication...

I got some pretty good sleep (7 hours) and woke up at 6am.

7am

"ready to drink" myoplex protein drink

cals:310
    fat: 7g
    carbs: 20g
    sugar: 3g
    protein: 42g

Coffee w/ creamer and 2 packs of splenda

* I know that a protein shake is not the most ideal breakfast but I didn't feel like cooking eggs. Sometimes I hate taking so long to make a decent breakfast.
    Daily dedication...

10am

I just ate my 2nd meal of the day:

1 cup of kashi cereal
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 orange
    1 scoop of protein

I'm going to work out @ 11:30 and plan on doing chest/shoulder or tri's

I will be taking 3 scoops of no-xplode at about 11:15am.
    Daily dedication...

I took the no-xplode at 11:30am and began my chest/shoulder work-out @ 11:45. The no-xplode kicked in towards the end of my work-out (wierd) but when it did I was done with chest and began doing shoulders. I did 3 exercises and it felt great... I felt as if I could keep going. At around 12:30pm I took my cellmass.

I returned to the office at 1pm and waited till 1:30 to eat my lunch.

1:30pm

tuna fillets (30g protein)
    2 slices of whole wheat bread
    multi vitamin
    water

I went to play basketball @ 4pm.

Played about 3 games of full court basketball until 5:30pm. At the end of that workout I was drained and my feet, legs, back, and neck killed me. I feel so all over and I'm ready to go to bed. I know that I might be doing to much but I love basketball and I really don't do anything else all day...

7pm dinner

I had a cup of spaghetti w/ meatballs
    I had a small serving and am planning on having a cup of cottage cheese at about 9:30pm.
    Daily dedication...