Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Instant Oatmeal vs. Old Fashion Oatmeal

I've been eating Regular Instant Oatmeal forever... and then my friend who is preparing for a show, his trainer told him not to eat the instant and to stick with good old fashion oatmeal. Reasons why? Because the instant is precooked and you dont get all your nutrients.
    So my new experience with this oatmeal is GROSS!! I hate the new texture and I cant even eat a full 1/2 cup. Its so much more filling then the instant. Which is probably good because I was always hungry an hour/hour and half after I have eaten. I have added my splenda and cimm. but it still tastes gross to me. I think it might be more the texture then the taste. I am thinking about going back to instant..............

Note- Even with instant, I still got good results with my diet.

jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Instant oatmeal has a higher glycemic index than old fashioned, so thats probably why oat fashioned seems like it doesnt make you as hungry as the other one...I dunno, but personally i love old fashioned oats Just add some milled flax and whey and it tastes amazing.

speedpuppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) speedpuppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) speedpuppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) speedpuppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) speedpuppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) speedpuppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sillytweet View Post
    I've been eating Regular Instant Oatmeal forever... and then my friend who is preparing for a show, his trainer told him not to eat the instant and to stick with good old fashion oatmeal. Reasons why? Because the instant is precooked and you dont get all your nutrients.
    So my new experience with this oatmeal is GROSS!! I hate the new texture and I cant even eat a full 1/2 cup. Its so much more filling then the instant. Which is probably good because I was always hungry an hour/hour and half after I have eaten. I have added my splenda and cimm. but it still tastes gross to me. I think it might be more the texture then the taste. I am thinking about going back to instant..............

Note- Even with instant, I still got good results with my diet.
    There's a version of Quaker Instant called "Weight Control" that's pretty nice. It has a higher protein & fiber content than most instants so it leaves you feeling full & isn't as full of sugar as a lot of flavored instants, but the texture is more like instant than old fashioned. The breakdown is as follows for 1 packet of Maple & Brown Sugar flavor:

160 Cal
    7 gr Pro
    29 gr Carb
    3 gr Fat
    6 gr Fiber

JennyAFT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JennyAFT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JennyAFT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JennyAFT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JennyAFT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JennyAFT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JennyAFT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JennyAFT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JennyAFT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JennyAFT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JennyAFT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was a huge fan of instant oatmeal too! I learned that the old fashion kind is better as well and it has definitely helped my weight loss and it keeps me full a lot longer. I add one packet of splenda and sometimes I'll add sugar free syrup. I know it tastes gross now, but you'll get used to it.

Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000) Jamie M is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I prefer the old fashioned. Quick oats are a little too mushy. I usually sprinkle some cinnamon on it.
    جَيْمي

Give me a place to stand, and I shall move the world.
    -Archemedes
    If you can't beat them....you're not trying hard enough!

If you need me, I'm swimming in the sea!

Reps owed:
    None

Negs owed:
    DrCrohn(life)
    Weightaholic(life)

Ramapo28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like the old fashioned as well. I like to add Designer Whey protein in mine. Tastes great and satisfies my chocolate cravings.

bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by speedpuppy View Post
    There's a version of Quaker Instant called "Weight Control" that's pretty nice. It has a higher protein & fiber content than most instants so it leaves you feeling full & isn't as full of sugar as a lot of flavored instants, but the texture is more like instant than old fashioned. The breakdown is as follows for 1 packet of Maple & Brown Sugar flavor:

160 Cal
    7 gr Pro
    29 gr Carb
    3 gr Fat
    6 gr Fiber

I lovelovelove this one...there's also a cinnamon flavor now! And maybe banana bread? But I love oats in the morning, and as rushed as I am sometimes, I can just heat it and go. I put some blueberries in there too. It reminds me of blueberry cobbler...no joke.

bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Red face

I know I'm gonna sound like a noob...and I think i'm breaking thread...but how do you prepare old fashioned oats?

Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sillytweet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well,
    Yesterday I added 2 packets of spenda and cimm. Today I add the same as yesterday but I added half of a banana. But someone reminded me about sugar free syrup. Ms. Butterworth has sugar free syrup and its tasted so GOOD!!! I'll have to try that tomorrow.

gingerbug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gingerbug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

Try Sturm's Blueberry Instant Oatmeal. Made With Flaxseed And Plant Sterols. I Usually Do A Pack And A Half So That I Still Get In About The Same Amount Of Carbs That I Would W/old Fashioned Oats, But More Fiber. Old Fashioned Oats Has 4g. Its Delicious!

2.5g Fat
    22 Carbs
    6g Fiber
    1g Sugar
    Protein 4g

nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I eat steel cut oats or oat bran and neither tastes that great. I started adding fresh berries and that helps a lot. You can also add a little cinnamon or a scoop of your favorite protein powder.

Khsmile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tried adding protein powder to mine the other morning after reading these threads and i add to end up throwing it away and making a new bowl of oatmeal--it was so gross..i used whey protein

I think ill just stick w/ my tsp brown sugar and cinnamon!

nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Khsmile View Post
    I tried adding protein powder to mine the other morning after reading these threads and i add to end up throwing it away and making a new bowl of oatmeal--it was so gross..i used whey protein

I think ill just stick w/ my tsp brown sugar and cinnamon!
    Do you like the taste of your protein by itself? If you don't that may have been the problem. What brand protein do you take? I use Syntha 6 and I like the taste by itself, when combined with oatmeal, or in pancakes.

Khsmile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nockowt1 View Post
    Do you like the taste of your protein by itself? If you don't that may have been the problem. What brand protein do you take? I use Syntha 6 and I like the taste by itself, when combined with oatmeal, or in pancakes.
    I think it is optimum..not really sure as my boyfriend got it for me. And no i dont really like the taste of it by itself--so i guess that is my problem! Maybe ill try what you get next time i have to get some--love trying new things!

beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Stick with the Old Fashion Oatmeal

I used to eat the instant also. When you make the change its a little hard, but trust me you will get used to it. I love it now. Is the same for with the milk, before i had to have it with milk, now i make it with water and I like it.

You can make your 1/2 cup and then mix in your whey protein. I do mine and in a cup mix my whey with water, enough to make it nice and creamy and then i mix it with the oatmeal.

Does anyone just add hot water and eat it or they add the water and mircowave it?

I prefer using the microwave for mine. I also like it kinda thick. I know that when some people make oatmeal it looks kinda soupy. I can't eat it like that. I eat mine with almost no liquid in it when it's done.

blondemachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    stick to the old fashioned oats as they are less processed.

i just cover it with boiling water, let it sit a few minutes (i dont like it too soft) i usually add protein powder but when am sick of that i add calorie reduced yoghurt and a couple of tablespoons of nuts and seeds

Registered User litlfalafelgirl's Avatar
    litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    here's some info on old fashion vs instant and some cooking advice. i'm used to the instant packets of plain that i can microwave in 2 minutes, so i'm up for trying the old fashioned steel cut for a change.

http://joyofbaking.com/breakfast/OatmealPorridge.html

breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Ramapo28 View Post
    I like the old fashioned as well. I like to add Designer Whey protein in mine. Tastes great and satisfies my chocolate cravings.
    Same here! Designer Whey is the best

jbelland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Old Fashion Oats vs. Instant

The amount of time it can take to cook Old Fashion Oats isn't always time conducive. The best way to do it is cook it in a rice cooker overnight. The instant oatmeal contains more simple carb, sugar, and less protein and fiber than the Old Fashion Oats. Here is an article that explains the difference in nutritional value between Old Fashion Oats and Instant Oatmeal: fitfoodlifestyleDOTwordpressDOTcom/2013/03/21/old-fashion-oatmeal-vs-instant-oatmeal-when-preparing-for-a-race/

Registered User KernelBluegrass's Avatar
    KernelBluegrass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KernelBluegrass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KernelBluegrass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KernelBluegrass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KernelBluegrass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KernelBluegrass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KernelBluegrass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KernelBluegrass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KernelBluegrass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KernelBluegrass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KernelBluegrass is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    food is simply fuel for the body. Having it taste good is merely a bonus.

Try it with a little real maple syrup, honey and cinnamon and golden rasins. If you aren't all anal about sugar intake. if you can't have the sugar go for just cinnamon and mabye the raisins.

ladyhutch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladyhutch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladyhutch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladyhutch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladyhutch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladyhutch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladyhutch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladyhutch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladyhutch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladyhutch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladyhutch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Strong bump from 2007. Where are all these old post bumps coming from?

Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madi-J is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Sometimes I will notice a box at the bottom of a page with "related threads"....They are almost always a year or more old. I wish it didn't exist because I am almost positive that's where this crap comes from.
    MFP: mkjbarreto
    Insta: barretosupreme
    Personal Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162859401

*Femme Nutrition product log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167407101

txgolfer45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) txgolfer45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) txgolfer45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) txgolfer45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) txgolfer45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) txgolfer45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) txgolfer45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) txgolfer45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) txgolfer45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) txgolfer45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) txgolfer45 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I eat the old fashion oatmeal. Microwaved then add cinnamon and a packet of sugar substitute (Equal or Splenda). Tastes pretty good.

mendozad8981 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sillytweet View Post
    Does anyone just add hot water and eat it or they add the water and mircowave it?
    I like to add 1/2 cup of old fashion oats in a mason jar with 1 scoop of double rich chocolate amplified gold 100%whey protein advanced from GNC . Once i get to work i add Hot water from the Water dispenser wait 5 minutes and woolaa Breakfast is served .