Let It Be Known!!!!!!!!!! Beansent's Avatar
    Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Deadlift and height

Does doing deadlifts stunt or hinder growth? i'm 17 years old and i have a few more years to grow but i needed some answers from experienced lifters to give me advice. as of now i DL 150 for 3 sets of 7 and i was wondering if that would stunt my growth, cause i know doing squats do.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no; and injury only w/ poor form or using an excessive weight to try to show off

BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs down Re: Deadlift and height

Originally posted by Beansent
    i was wondering if that would stunt my growth, cause i know doing squats do.

SQUATS DO NOT STUNT YOUR GROWTH

please go read up on this instead of perpetuating that ignorant myth

Re: Re: Deadlift and height

Originally posted by bigpoppaproppy

bizump

JustinLee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face

yea...I used to be 6' tall and I shrank to 5'4" from doing heavy DLs....j/k man...go to the teen forum for a sticky on whether lifting stunts ur growth or not....

Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beansent has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by JustinLee
    yea...I used to be 6' tall and I shrank to 5'4" from doing heavy DLs....j/k man...go to the teen forum for a sticky on whether lifting stunts ur growth or not....
    gotcha. btw, if squats don't stunt growth, then how come almost of the private trainers at my gym say that it does?

no offense, but i think you're being a little too dogmatic towards the benefits of weight-lifting that you fail to see both sides of an argument. if squats don't stunt growth, wouldn't it be safe to say that you will grow slower? do you have evidence that squats do not stunt growth? i sure have avidence that it does: powerlifters at my gym. i would say the average powerlifter at my gym is around 5'5-5'6, give or take an inch. take a look at this picture. wouldn't you say the facts are a little too overwhelming to say that squats or even lifting heavy affects growth? remember, this is not a personal attack, i just want to see your point of view.
    Last edited by Beansent; 05-16-2004 at 12:46 AM.

lucubration has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    gotcha. btw, if squats don't stunt growth, then how come almost of the private trainers at my gym say that it does?

no offense, but i think you're being a little too dogmatic towards the benefits of weight-lifting that you fail to see both sides of an argument. if squats don't stunt growth, wouldn't it be safe to say that you will grow slower? do you have evidence that squats do not stunt growth? i sure have avidence that it does: powerlifters at my gym. i would say the average powerlifter at my gym is around 5'5-5'6, give or take an inch. take a look at this picture. wouldn't you say the facts are a little too overwhelming to say that squats or even lifting heavy affects growth? remember, this is not a personal attack, i just want to see your point of view.
    lucu turns and walks out of this thread....

because most traines are idiots; this issue has been documented hundreds of times; lifting doesn't affect growth.

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

A lot of PLer's are short because for a reason; short lifters tend to gravitate towards PLing. Simple physics (less work; work=force x distance) means they are more efficient, thus tend to be more sucessful, than taller (longer limbed) lifters. Not to mention, in BBing terms, short, stocky physiques are not as asthetically pleasing as taller ones are (generally speaking).
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They say this because they are apathetic towards their clients and because they are too lazy to teach them how to squat properly.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Cuz your "trainer" doesn't know anything. Inform him next time

Ever seen a powerlifter who was 6'+? I haven't. Tallest I know of is Quincy Taylor... even at that he's a bber not a pler and he's 6'4". I'm just curious to see just how squats are supposed to stunt growth... Growth comes from the pituitary gland in the brain. Maybe he is thinking that they compress the back? No. That would take injury/death force to happen. I've done squats for a while and they haven't made me shorter by any means.

Bump to dookie on the physics there
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

-ohashi

BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    this isnt even worth arguing with him

theres plenty of posts on this already, and a sticky in the teen section

so instead of proving to me squats stunt growth, you accept it, use a few guys as an example who you've only ever seen at their adult height, and tell me to prove it doesnt

quit wasting my time and go read up, theres PLENTY of info out there for you to prove you wrong

Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    this isnt even worth arguing with him

theres plenty of posts on this already, and a sticky in the teen section

so instead of proving to me squats stunt growth, you accept it, use a few guys as an example who you've only ever seen at their adult height, and tell me to prove it doesnt

quit wasting my time and go read up, theres PLENTY of info out there for you to prove you wrong
    You talkin to me?
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

-ohashi

lucubration has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Steveo31
    You talkin to me?
    he be talkin to bean

Originally posted by Steveo31
    You talkin to me?
    nah he's talkin to me.