Snakebitten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wierd problem with forearms during bicep curls or deadlifts

Hello all, been a long time lurker and finally registered to post this.

I have a somewhat wierd problem I've been experiencing shortly after I changed from resistance to free weight exercises.

I've been doing free weights for about nine weeks now, and all has been good except for one thing that I started noticing around four weeks ago:

Whenever I do deadlifts or bicep curls, my inner forearms contract severly afterwards, like from my palm to the inner elbow. The muscle contracts to the point where the inner arm is rock hard, and I can see the veins noticeably poping outward, even on my thumb and outer/inner wrist. There is no real pain involved but there is the discomfort of seeing and feeling the severe contraction. This usualy lasts ~20minutes after the exercise. Soaking them in warm water seems to help speed the recovery but its still a weird occurance.

I do the bicep curls on mondays for that days routine and deadlifts on fridays in that routine, so I don't think I'm overworking my forearms and not sure why they contract while doing deadlifts since I lift with my legs and lower back the most for that exercise.

Any ideas or comments on if this is normal or something that needs to be checked out? Thanks in advanced.

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't know if it is serious or not.

Next time, rotate and stretch your wrists a lot and then do some light wrist curls to warm up. Then, don't grip the bar as hard as you can. This may not be possible on deadlifts, but don't grip the bar very hard with the curls and see if this helps.
    Last edited by Heisman; 05-14-2004 at 07:57 PM.

Chemically Imbalanced Wanker527's Avatar
    Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Heisman
    ...then do some light risk curls
    haha. safety first, right Heisman?
    "Oderint dum metuant." -Lucius Accius

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Wanker527
    haha. safety first, right Heisman?
    What are you talking about? I never typed that.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    so you're saying your forearm basically becomes 'pumped'??

trap_builder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you should be enjoying the pump like everyone does and want it to stay longer
    Being Full Is No Reason Not To Eat

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    so you're saying your forearm basically becomes 'pumped'??
    Not sure if its pumped or not, never really experienced this anywhere else on my body before so not sure what to make of it.

All I know for sure is it doesn't physically hurt but my arms become hard as a rock, I can hardly open/close my hands, viens begin bulging out (but resead where you can hardly see'em onced the muscles relax), and it just feels as if the arms aren't getting much circulation. Only occurs when I do bicep curls and deadlifts really.

If this is normal, than thats good to hear and I won't give it another though. Just thought I'd ask for my own peace of mind. Thanks in advanced.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well, some of the stuff sounds like a normal pump, but others like feels like it's not circulating and you can't open or close your hand isn't normal imho........so it could just be yhour exagerating/not properly describing it, or it could be something else.

can't really say *shrug*

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    well, some of the stuff sounds like a normal pump, but others like feels like it's not circulating and you can't open or close your hand isn't normal imho........so it could just be yhour exagerating/not properly describing it, or it could be something else.

can't really say *shrug*
    Well I said I could hardly open/close my hand, I can do it, it just feels very fatigued. I'll probably loosen my grip and see if that helps for the hand.

About the circulation, it still circulates but it feels almost like you've banged your arm without the throbbing sensation, like they swell up just a tad. Only reason I say it feels like low circulation is because the veins bulge out and I can feel a bit of pressure in my arms.

Since there is no pain involved, maybe its my body's way of a muscle pump, it just feels wierd and no other muscle in my body reacts the same way. I could be pushing my inner forearm muscles too hard? But if I lighten the weights, I wont be working my biceps or legs as well either.

Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500) Tomohawk92 is not very helpful. (-500)
    try loosening your grip, sounds almost like a charlie horse
    Egg foo young, En lo mein, so come on baby and have it just the same woooooynga

welcmhm is on a distinguished road. (+10) welcmhm is on a distinguished road. (+10) welcmhm is on a distinguished road. (+10) welcmhm is on a distinguished road. (+10) welcmhm is on a distinguished road. (+10) welcmhm is on a distinguished road. (+10) welcmhm is on a distinguished road. (+10) welcmhm is on a distinguished road. (+10) welcmhm is on a distinguished road. (+10) welcmhm is on a distinguished road. (+10) welcmhm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Tomohawk92 View Post
    It does sound like the muscle is cramping up a bit. I'd try loosening your grip, drinking plenty of water before and during your workout (and in general), and perhaps taking a multivitamin or hitting up some bananas for a little extra potassium if you aren't already.

Addicted to Peanut Butter Ivankannan's Avatar
    Ivankannan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ivankannan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ivankannan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ivankannan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ivankannan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ivankannan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ivankannan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ivankannan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ivankannan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ivankannan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ivankannan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Five year mega bump?
    Shut the F up and Squat

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by welcmhm View Post
    It does sound like the muscle is cramping up a bit. I'd try loosening your grip, drinking plenty of water before and during your workout (and in general), and perhaps taking a multivitamin or hitting up some bananas for a little extra potassium if you aren't already.
    This thread started in 2004. The question has either been answered or forgotten.
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973

Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lol

I'm sure the OP has figured it out by now.