Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DouglassDoubles will become famous soon enough. (+50) DouglassDoubles will become famous soon enough. (+50) DouglassDoubles will become famous soon enough. (+50) DouglassDoubles will become famous soon enough. (+50) DouglassDoubles will become famous soon enough. (+50) DouglassDoubles will become famous soon enough. (+50) DouglassDoubles will become famous soon enough. (+50) DouglassDoubles will become famous soon enough. (+50) DouglassDoubles will become famous soon enough. (+50) DouglassDoubles will become famous soon enough. (+50) DouglassDoubles will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My oldest is now 14, he started slowly at about 11 I think. I guess it's just up to what your kid can handle. Just don't push them too hard. Good advice here on this thread!

*sorry if I am repeating anything anyone said, Spongebob is on....gotta watch my 'stories' *
    ~Jen~
    I KNOW I CAN...I KNOW I CAN!!!

BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I didn't think this would swell up into such a large thread but I am appreciative of all the comments. Thanks!
    Hang up and drive. Slower traffic move right.

Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Doing an activity that tells your body to grow isn't going to stunt a child's growth. That just doesn't make sense, it's a horrible missconception.

The tricky thing is injuries. If a young person gets a serious injury, the development of his body will be effected darrastically. So, be careful! But it's your child we're talking about so I don't have to say that

Shelbz
    SoIFightWithAPenToEnlightenAFriend...

To Explode with Rage, To Quake with Joy, To Be Immortal.
    How Many People Got Controll Of Their Minds?

MyLegsCompellMeToRunMyHeartCompellsMeToFly
    LoveIsAnActionWordsoThinkForYourselfandDoForOthers

The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Our youth and dumbbells.

Originally Posted by exnihillo View Post
    I let mine work out with me he is 9..But he has light weights and just kind of plays with them..I just make sure he does not hurt himself...I think letting him play now will increase his want to work out later on when he is ready..I can't get my 21 month old to put down his weights alot of the times..he has thre pound dumbbells..
    I agree. I would have to say this is probably what would happen if my son or daughter picked up the weights. And frankly it would not bother me in the least as long as they were careful with them. At this point I wouldn't say it was muscle building but more along the line of just simple physical exercise.

Agree? Disagree?

Scott
    "Respect, Honor, Integrity!"

The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Crush is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

When to start a more structured program?

From the standpoint of true bodybuilding... I would go out on a limb and say they could really get started around 11-15. Still not heavy (the heavy could start as they go through high school) but more structured. Of course there are many variables to take into consideration as well - Health, strength, previous physical activity, diet, etc...

Weight training for a nine-year old. I say go for it. And without repeating myself too much... Physical activity is beneficial for everyone at all ages. Just use good common sense when doing so and everyone benefits.

Scott
    "Respect, Honor, Integrity!"

thunder23js has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi everyone, my first post here, just wanted to share in this great topic. I have 2 boys that are 3 and 5(almost 6) that like to mimic daddy, the oldest is now playing baseball and requesting I train him. How could I refuse such enthusiasm, so as a cpt, used my knowledge and common sense and set up a program for him that takes him through a full body work out 3 times a week. I saw this as the perfect opportunity to get him involved in the lifestyle and to teach him what I think is most important when doing any exercise, " PROPER FORM!" I have him do 1 set of 10 reps for each exercise with little to no weight and told him when he can do every exercise flawlessly and work his way up to 3 sets of 10 we can talk about adding weight. Of course at the rate he is going he might be ready before the end of the year!LOL!! It is so awesome to watch him learn and see the excitement in his face when he gets it right. My 3 yr old only gets in there because he can't have his brother do something he isn't, I think, but at least he comes in.

I say keep them active no matter what it is and always lead by example!!!

Love this thread and all the great info and opinions, keep it coming!!

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My youngest used to work out with me when she was four! I bought some pink dumbells so she could copy me, but she quickly moved up to heavier weights, and lifted them with perfect form. After a while, she'd got bored and wander off.

The same rules apply to children as to anyone else. If you can lift the weight with correct form, it's not too heavy, and growing bones need a combination of high impact and weight bearing exercise for optimal strength.

I would never force a child to lift weights, but if they want to learn, show them how to do it right, and make it easy for them to work out.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders