jason02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How many grams of sugar a day is acceptable?

I maybe consume around 20-40g's of sugar a day, i guess thats a rough estimate, through cereal, honey, and other miscellaneous things. I know that sugar is often converted into fat right?

Whats the most i can consume without having to worry about it being bad for me?

(Info about me:Im 5'10 weigh about 175, im not sure how much bodyfat i have, but its not too bad, im pretty close to having a six pack. Right now my goal is just trying to be cut and have a six pack. I work out 3 times a week and try to do cardio 5-7 times a week.)
    Last edited by jason02; 05-13-2007 at 07:27 AM.

Make Misc Great Again JustiNtense's Avatar
    JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    34.7 grams of sugar.
    "Even through the darkest days, this fire burns, always."

The pessimist complains about the wind
    The optimist expects it to change direction
    The realist adjusts the sails

Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Carbohydrates (which are comprised of various chains of sugars) and sugars themselves are only converted to fat if they are not immediately used for energy and glycogen stores are already full. Sugars are not automatically converted to fat.

As for how many grams of sugar per day is acceptable, that depends on your body composition, your weight, your activity levels throughout the day, what your current training goals are, your metabolic rate and your sensitivity to insulin.

So, it is hard to say. Provide some of the above information and you'll get a better answer.

In general, strength athletes will perform quite well on between 5 and 6 grams per kilogram per day, aerobic endurance athletes may require up to 10 grams per kilogram per day, while sedentary people who rarely exercise or who exercise recreationally will need a lot less, perhaps between 1 and 3 grams per kilogram per day.

The above numbers refer to total daily carbohydrate intake, and you can incorporate some simple sugars into them quite easily. However, you should choose the times that you injest simple sugars (or rather sugars the stimulate rapid insulin release) wisely. Remember, you need to injest nutrients at the time that they are required. So, if you need to rapidly relpenish glycogen levels, then simple sugars are a good option. This is good time for you to eat something like that. If, on the other hand, you are just about to go to bed, then you don't really need to rapidly replenish glycogen levels. In this case, and depending on your training goals, it might be more advantageous to you to eat oatmeal or even avoid carbohydrates altogether.
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

ISSA CFT, SPN, FT, SSC, SFN
    NSCA CSCS