I don't really go and hunt down foods that advertise themselves at being super low in fat, prefering just to eat naturally healthy things. But this whole 98% fat free thing was bothering me a little.
Does 98% fat free mean the fat content of an item is only 2%? In which case say, something proclaiming to be 98% fat free (with <5g fat apparently) mean that ok, if 2% is fat, the other 98% must be other things like protein and carbs? This just doesn't strike me as right. If 2% is 5g, 1% would be 2.5g, therefore 98% would be 245g of protein or carbs. This is obviously impossible for the item in question - a filled bagel.
So am I completely misinterpretting the way "x% fat free" is supposed to be interpretted, or is it just a case of blatant false advertising?
Thread: "98% fat free" question
05-11-2004, 03:15 AM #1
"98% fat free" question
05-11-2004, 05:06 AM #2
05-11-2004, 07:55 AM #3
05-11-2004, 07:59 AM #4
- Join Date: Feb 2003
- Location: Seattle, Washington, United States
- Age: 27
- Posts: 1,776
- Rep Power: 359
05-11-2004, 09:08 AM #5
Nope guys. 98% fat free means that only 2% of the cals come from fat. Look @ a sugar cookie. There was never that much fat to take out...but they still say 98% fat free. If you add the #'s up and it doesn't work, then the co. is lying about something...either the % or total cals. This is not uncommon.Hit the Wall, Tear it Down!! - Wildman
05-11-2004, 09:46 AM #6
No. No. No. This just means that two-per-cent of the product's mass consists of fat. Some of it consists of carbs; some of it consists of protein; and much of it consists of water.
Consider the contents of a protein shake. How heavy is the actual protein powder, opposed to the water it's mixed with? The powder usually consists of 25-or-so grams of protein, a few grams of carbs, and a few grams of fat. The water, however, accounts for a majority of the mass.
05-11-2004, 10:03 AM #7
05-11-2004, 12:38 PM #8
05-12-2004, 06:44 AM #9
05-12-2004, 06:52 AM #10
- Join Date: Mar 2004
- Location: School Gainesville, FL
- Age: 36
- Posts: 1,504
- Rep Power: 940
Here is a good article that helps with label deciphering. About halfway down the page it speaks a little about how to understand the fat content of fat free items.
Basically if the items says it is 98% fat free, that is the percent free per 100 grams of that food item. So basically it has 2 grams of fat per 100 grams of substance.
05-12-2004, 04:12 PM #11