my name's actually Kevin seanbolourchi's Avatar
    seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Building an 'aerobic base'?

I'm a HS swimmer, and a sprinter at that. I've never done any sort of activity until I was 11, and i'm really lacking cardiovascular fitness compared to my swimming peers. I can sprint fairly well but you can see where I get slower,

23 - 50 free,
    55 - 100 free,
    2:07 200 free,
    6:10 500 free
    and you don't want to know my 1000

EDIT: for the non-swim savvy, I basically suck as distances increase and intensities decrease

How can I catch up to other peoples' cardiovascular fitness levels? Should I run as a supplement to swimming?

EDIT: this isn't only for swimmers to answers, anyone else with this kind of a problem feel free to input
    Last edited by seanbolourchi; 02-04-2008 at 05:32 PM.

messenger_of has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) messenger_of has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) messenger_of has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) messenger_of has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) messenger_of has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) messenger_of has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) messenger_of has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) messenger_of has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) messenger_of has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) messenger_of has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) messenger_of has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    High volume extensive tempo

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just read an article with the results of 4 separate studies, all of which showed moderately-trained athletes using high intensity interval training were able to increase their cardiovascular endurance 13-50% more than another group of similar athletes who trained using steady state cardiovascular training.

That'd be my recommendation.
    Last edited by Jhawk Fitness; 02-04-2008 at 05:05 PM.
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

my name's actually Kevin seanbolourchi's Avatar
    seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50) seanbolourchi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness View Post
    I just read an article with the results of 4 separate studies, all of which showed moderately-trained athletes using high intensity interval training were able to increase their cardiovascular endurance 13-50% more than another group of similar athletes who trained using steady state cardiovascular training.

That'd be my recommendation.
    Sweet, so that'd be like HIIT and what the above poster said. Do you have a link to this? Or a place I can go that will tell me more?

Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just keep doing what you are doing. if you have a good coach she/he will know what to do.
    You are only 14.... things can change (and they often do)

however if you are anything like me ....a true sprinter ,there isnt much if anything you can do. you can increase it to a point but if you are type II fiber person you really cant do much. youll just be a sprinter. nothing wrong with that
    Do you think they'res a bunch of muscle fibers that are lazy watching TV and eating Doritos and say "nah I'm not going unless good ol' CNS lights itself on fire from overload, then I'll help out." -Khryz :D