cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cobain67 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Heart rate for fat-loss

Hi, I am wondering, how do you determine your the necessary HR needed to be attained for fat burning?? Can someone please tell me ? like what I need to multiply my height/age/weight etc. by? thanks.

taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000)
    for max heart rate, its 220 - age
    then fat burning zone is about 70-85% of that

JohnR_In_LA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    220- age?

That seems a bit high

Im 42
    That would be 178 for me...

80% of that is somewhere around 152 hmmm

I maintain 135 on the Lifecycle for fatburn, this is based on the chart on the bike, which says (if I remember correctly) I should be maintaining around 120-140 for fat burn and 140-160 for cardio.
    JR

MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Why are you trying to lose weight?

You are anorexic and need some help.
    Supplement free,
    healthy eater.

Infin1ty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Infin1ty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Infin1ty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Infin1ty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Infin1ty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Infin1ty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Infin1ty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Infin1ty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Infin1ty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Infin1ty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Infin1ty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the 220-age doesn't work for me, while getting ready for a long distance run i got to 210bpm , i'm 16y/o
    i think it depends on your resting hr zone as well, mine is 48-50

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Firstly you should not be concerned with what heart rate you need to be in to burn fat... You know that. Hell, you should not even be DOING cardio so why are you even asking?? Also - this is the type of answer that is easily found on the internet or in any exercise/sports text (I am even surprised that you do not know the answer already...)... This makes me think you have alterior motives behind asking....?? It is like you are ASKING us to give you a quick kick up the back-side (or else you are seeking attention... or some other reason behind drawing the focus back to you and your pathological behaviour..)

You need to think about the real reason as to why you are asking us this question...

Anyway... To answer in a round about kind of a way - the whole 'fat burning heart rate zone' crap (which is usually sprouted as 65 - 75% max) is... well... crap.

Although target heart rates are good targets for your workouts (they are usually found with a simple formula:
    220 - age = max heart rate
    Then to find a target zone multiply this by the number (eg: 0.85 to find 85% or 0.65 to find 65%)

Although the more complex formula that accounts for resting HR is:
    220 - age = max heart rate
    max heart rate - resting HR = figure A
    Then take figure A and multiply it by your target rate (eg: 70%) = figure B
    Then take figure B and add on your Resting HR = figure C

Figure C is then your target for 65% max...)

that is all they should be used for - just to make sure you are working at an adequate intensity for your planned cardio sessions... But at the end of the day what counts is doing the work of cardio to begin with.

Yes, you theoretically burn more 'fat calories' during lower intensity (or aerobic) exercise than higher intenstiy (more anerobic) exericise - but the intensity at which you work out may be such that you would burn MORE calories overall (both during and after) where you to have worked out at the higher and more metabolically costly intensity.

Think about it - If the whole 'fat burning zone' theory was correct then you could walk at a light pace for 30 minutes (mostly aerobic exercise) and 'theoretically' burn more fat than if you were to run at 90% Max for that time (mostly anaerobic exercise).

So there are basically 3 forms of cardio in my opinion:
    1. incidental/light exercise - walking/moving around/light bike rides and light sports. I count anything with a HR less than about 65-70% as this. These are technically where the 'fat burning' zone is (65 - 75% HR) - but, as I said above, you can count 'sitting still' as being in a 'fat burning zone' . Anyway - they are GREAT in adding to you overall calorie deficiency but are limited in their usefulness beyond the time that you are doing them.

2. Moderate/planned cardio - For these I feel that you really should aim for 70 - 85% max HR (for a time of anywhere upwards from 20min). This type of exercise, although it draws more on other energy sources (mainly glucose if available) it's overall calorie burning potential is much greater than with light cardio. In addition to this it is great for getting better cardiovascular fitness and for overall health.

3. High intensity cardio - 85% or above (usually only able to maintain for short durations, eg: 15 to 25 min). Exellent for fitness, speed and much more calorie expensive (due to metabolism enhancing effects) when taken at 'minute for minute' value.

and if you want more 'bang for your buck' in loosing fat then you are better of do shorter higher intensity sessions (at 70 to 75% HR or above) for 'planned cardio' and then try to get as much incidental exercise as you can (as added 'bonus' calorie expenditure).