emotion5ickne55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question how to train for west point?

hey all, i'm a female with no bodybuilding background but i need to pass the rigorous physical aptitude test in order to get into my dream school, west point. i've been a rower for 2 seasons, and haven't participated in many other sports or physical activity other than that within the past year. i finally realized i've been doing push-ups incorrectly my entire life--they're a hell of a lot harder than i thought. i have a weight machine in my basement with a set of weights in the middle and plenty of different ways to use them. does anyone have any advice for how i should start working toward my goal? i don't know how hard you're supposed to work yourself when it comes to weight training; i don't want to do any damage to my body. i'm still missing the minimum requirements for west point, so i've got plenty of room for improvement. any help woudl be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!
    http://www.usma.edu/admissions/pae.asp
    sophie

Uninspired has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know a girl that got in.

They do flexed arm hangs, shuttle runs, something where u have to throw a basketball on ur knees X amount of feet and all that stuff.

Basically, hit the weights and on off days work on your cardio. Progressively increase the resistance on the weights and for your cardio, try HIIT and steady state cardio. Start off with that, and you should be good.

emotion5ickne55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what's HIIT and steady state cardio? how many days a week should i do cardio & how many days should i do weight training? can i do both? and how long should i weight train and how far should i run?

EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've heard that lots GPP work is good for preparing for military training.

Uninspired has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by emotion5ickne55
    what's HIIT and steady state cardio? how many days a week should i do cardio & how many days should i do weight training? can i do both? and how long should i weight train and how far should i run?
    HIIT cardio consists of raising your heartbeat to high levels then slowing it down, raising it again, slowing it down...etc

You can do it on a treadmill or a bike. Do research. for startes, u could weight train for 3 or 4 times a week and do cardio for 4 or 3 times a week.

Do research. there's a lot of it on the site.

Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beachbum1546 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    my best friends sister goes to west point. actually she just graduated this year.
    she played soccer for west point.
    just work on core strength, doing pull-ups, and endurace (ie running)
    Reps For Life:
    Richie209
    Onita
    BenchPressKing1
    injustcuz

juggmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Those are some interesting events, I figured you'd just need to ace the APFT.

fmusclekg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmusclekg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmusclekg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmusclekg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmusclekg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmusclekg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmusclekg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmusclekg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmusclekg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmusclekg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmusclekg is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I also know someone that's going to west point next year lol. Here's an example of HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training):

Jogging/Sprinting

4Min. Jogging
    45/15
    50/10
    45/15
    40/15
    40/20
    40/20
    40/20
    45/15
    45/15
    50/10
    50/10
    4Min. Jogging

Total=16minutes
    Last edited by fmusclekg; 05-08-2004 at 07:30 PM.