ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lifting belts, good or bad? I use one--is it necessary

I know the big guys use em, and a lot of people use them when they're going serious weight--but are they necessary.

This says they're not: http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/j...a_myths_pr.htm

And I figure he has some idea of what he's talking about--but so do others.

Anyone have experience or knowledge on this subject?

SIDE-NOTE: The military press--is it okay to let's just say squat down and push up with your legs helping? I don't go down very far, but fatigue starts to set in very quickly, and I need to dip down a few inches and help push the thing up with my legs--is that bad?

Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do not use a lifting belt! You dont need one! (some powerlifters use them for different reasons, which is okay if you know what your doing)

Ps. John Berardi is an excellent writer, he has alot of good articles on nutrition.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    not necessary unless you're going for a 1RM

ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ko_kidd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow.

So not even necessary for anything?

Not deadlifts, not anything.

Well, interesting info. Wish I knew that before I bought my belt--learn something new everyday.

youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) youi09 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you have lower back pain or weak abs it might be useful, but then again you wont be training your abs to get stronger if u use the belt, so I'd advise not to use it because it'll hinder you from building a strong core. Older men that have been carrying **** or using their back a lot improperly (bad form on lifting) when they were younger often use belts. Ever see big fatass strong movers use belts? They carry big fridges n tables up stairs, etc.

Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Just_being_me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Pete
    Do not use a lifting belt! You dont need one! (some powerlifters use them for different reasons, which is okay if you know what your doing)

Ps. John Berardi is an excellent writer, he has alot of good articles on nutrition.
    How old are you and how long have you been training? Just curious.

From my experience, and knowing many many 'lifers' (bodybuilders for over 20 years), being they are the ones that have been through it, i have found many if not all of them suggest using belts, wraps, etc...yes they will tell you that when 'wrapping' you can put up more weight and its an assistant, but for the longevity of ones bodybuilding career its an integral part. I know a lot of people dont like them for whatever reasons (bad information the most, and personal preference), or they 'heard' it was for 'weak' people or something...but in reality, if you are in this for life, like you should be, you should seriously consider using a belt on things like back, and leg day, and i know some bb'ers that use them everytime they workout....Yes, you will lose some of the benefit of working out w/out one, abs , lower back, but in the long run, you will be healthier and lifting longer....

And if you want real good advice...find out if Ronnie Coleman, or Arnold uses/used wraps and belts...and stop listening just to people on a message board.

"No matter how hot she is, someone is sick of her ****"

"FREE KOBE"

Originally posted by Just_being_me

From my experience, and knowing many many 'lifers' (bodybuilders for over 20 years), being they are the ones that have been through it, i have found many if not all of them suggest using belts, wraps, etc...yes they will tell you that when 'wrapping' you can put up more weight and its an assistant, but for the longevity of ones bodybuilding career its an integral part. I know a lot of people dont like them for whatever reasons (bad information the most, and personal preference), or they 'heard' it was for 'weak' people or something...but in reality, if you are in this for life, like you should be, you should seriously consider using a belt on things like back, and leg day, and i know some bb'ers that use them everytime they workout....Yes, you will lose some of the benefit of working out w/out one, abs , lower back, but in the long run, you will be healthier and lifting longer....

And if you want real good advice...find out if Ronnie Coleman, or Arnold uses/used wraps and belts...and stop listening just to people on a message board.

and a lot of these same people who have been lifting for a continually long period of time also bitch about shoulder injuries and warn against the bench, yet fail to realize their injuries were due to poor form (shoulder blades, elbows, grip width, etc..)

anyways, wraps don't let the ligaments or whatever strengthen.

and a lot of these same people who have been lifting for a continually long period of time also bitch about shoulder injuries and warn against the bench, yet fail to realize their injuries were due to poor form (shoulder blades, elbows, grip width, etc..)

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion

Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

1. I dont get my information from just listening to people on message boards.
    2. I get my information from reading as many articles as I can, from various strength coaches. (I will provide some links to some good articles about lowerback health at the end of my post).
    3. In my opinion Ronnie Coleman is not the best person to seek scientific information from.

Hear is a 3 part article written by Paul Chek
    http://t-mag.com/html/body_121back.html

http://t-mag.com/html/body_122back.html

http://t-mag.com/html/body_123back.html

Hear is another good article on lowerback health.

http://t-mag.com/html/body_108back.html

Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by ko_kidd
    Wish I knew that before I bought my belt--learn something new everyday.
    Yea man... I wish I knew it too. Best spent on a weight belt.

For now just gotta settle with the db between my legs :\
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

-ohashi