BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Is this ok to eat right after working out?

I got this a muscle and fitness magazine and it says to eat 3 slices of bread and a energy drink like gatorade. Right now im trying to lose some weight. what do you think about that?
    Thanks

NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BigD11 View Post
    I got this a muscle and fitness magazine and it says to eat 3 slices of bread and a energy drink like gatorade. Right now im trying to lose some weight. what do you think about that?
    Thanks
    Lord, no! First of all, where's the protein??? You need protein after a workout! Secondly, if you're trying to LOSE weight, eating three servings of bread and gulping down a sugar-laden drink is definitely not a good idea. I wouldn't even eat that after my workout if I was trying to gain weight, much less lose. If you're going to eat bread and drink Gatorade (but I hope you won't), at least throw some protein in there.
    "If you're looking for a quick fix, you're in the wrong sport. Bodybuilding is a lifetime journey, not an overnight jaunt." - NaturalMsO

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    "Yes, the women are taking over."
    ★☆★★☆

BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry, i ment i eat that right after my workout. Im going to either have the 2slices of white toast or a potato. Not both together.

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks
    im assuming those are your carb choices and you have protein covered.
    those options will do fine. and you CAN and SHOULD have simple carbs pwo.
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

carsondales will become famous soon enough. (+50) carsondales will become famous soon enough. (+50) carsondales will become famous soon enough. (+50) carsondales will become famous soon enough. (+50) carsondales will become famous soon enough. (+50) carsondales will become famous soon enough. (+50) carsondales will become famous soon enough. (+50) carsondales will become famous soon enough. (+50) carsondales will become famous soon enough. (+50) carsondales will become famous soon enough. (+50) carsondales will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah DO NOT eat that after your work out lol fawk

Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That can't possibly be what a muscle magazine said. Any fitness magazine that doesn't advocate protein PWO needs to be burned. "Come on Pookie, Lets Burn this Motha DOWN!"
    I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Our only limitations are the ones we accept.

Seeing how much I can increase strength, endurance, and athletic performance while maintaining approximately 190 lbs and single digit bf.

coddleston has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ibballard View Post
    "Come on Pookie, Lets Burn this Motha DOWN!"
    Thanks, you made me hungry for White Castle. Haha.

Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry, i ment i eat that right after my workout. Im going to either have the 2slices of white toast or a potato. Not both together.
    Never, under any circumastance, eat white bread. Potatos are decent source of complex carbs and a good source of simple carbs, and the natural sugar found in some potatoes is a competative inhibitor to certain flu virsuses.

If you're trying to lose weight, just watch the calorie intake after your excersize. You NEED protine, and carbohydras, immediatly after you work out - you will convert the carbs into glycogen 200% more efficiently durring the first hour or so after your workout, therefore you'll have more energy later durring the day/week if you eat right away.

Eat whole grains and fish - not refined bread.

Shelbz
    SoIFightWithAPenToEnlightenAFriend...

To Explode with Rage, To Quake with Joy, To Be Immortal.
    How Many People Got Controll Of Their Minds?

MyLegsCompellMeToRunMyHeartCompellsMeToFly
    LoveIsAnActionWordsoThinkForYourselfandDoForOthers

I hear what your saying but it a Muscle and Fitness magazine. They give you a seven day meal plan and after every workout they say eat:
    Monday: 2 scoops whey protein, Large Sports Drink (Gatorade)
    Tuesday: 2 scoops why protein, 3 slices white bread, jelly
    Wednesday:Protein, Bagel
    Thursday: Protein, 3slices white bread, jelly
    You get the idea.
    I guess i forgot you put in the shakes. In the magazine, not in that article but a different one and they talk about carbs. they say "Baked White potato's with no fat added aren't half bad. They contain more than twice the folate, a vitamin key to muscle growth, of sweet potatoes, as welll as potassium, which is good for recovery-provided you're eating the skin. White potatoes digest rather quickly, so eat them after workout.

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    White bread is fine after a workout! it digest fast and causes an insulin spike like gatorade or potatos or anything like that. to say go ahead and drink a gatorade and have a white potato but never ever eat white bread is crap. and if you are saying that the potato has more viamins and minerals you are wrong, most white bread is enriched and just lacks fiber so go ahead and have your white bread then the next day a potato or gatorade it all works!
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

soydeespanya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    BigD11, one word of advice for you. Drop Muscle and Fitness if you're subscribing. I have been a subscriber for 3 years this last year and i notice the same exact stuff comes out each year, besides the routines and interviews,etc. If you search right you will find better (and cheaper) information on here. Just trying to save you some money bro

Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelbz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    White bread is refined grains, stripped of many nutrients. I guess if a company is processesing it's grains they could easily add nutrients back in but... You can't disregard thousands of years of evolution. Whole grains are so much better for you and only slightly less enjoyable to eat (or for me much more enjoyable).

Shelbz

NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bottom line: You're going to get a ton of different answers, depending on who you ask (as you can see already from this thread). But, like I said before, you need a source of protein in there post-workout. You didn't mention any protein at all, just carbs. I occasionally eat bread, but I wouldn't make it a habit. My main source of carbs comes from rice, beans, fruits and veggies. Do what works for you. That's works for me. I'm not saying everyone MUST eat this way. If you can handle the bread and you're happy with your progress (weight/muscle-wise), then go for it. Is it the healthiest option? No.
    "If you're looking for a quick fix, you're in the wrong sport. Bodybuilding is a lifetime journey, not an overnight jaunt." - NaturalMsO

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    ★☆★★☆

siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000) siamesedream is just really nice. (+1000)
    Muscle and Fitness is good as a toilet paper if you like it rough on your cornhole. I'm not sure it's good for much else.

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    To a certain degree it's already been said, but here is my take on post workout nutrition (assuming weight training, not a "just cardio" workout).

You have done muscle damage due to your training and your body wants to repair that damage. This is a time when a high insulin level is good and your muscles will be sensitive to it. So, get a fast digesting protein source (40-60 grams of whey or whey/casein mix) and a fast digesting carb source (60-80 grams of dextrose, maltodextrin, WMS, white potato, bagel, etc). No fats.

The fast digesting protein and carbs will spike your insulin and since insulin is a storage hormone, it will promote the best recovery of glycogen and amino acids into your damaged muscle tissues.

Without proper post workout nutrition, you are hampering your body's abilities to heal itself and progress. Even when cutting, you should follow proper post workout nutrition - just cut your carbs down during the other meals of the day.
    It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.

Originally Posted by siamesedream View Post
    Muscle and Fitness is good as a toilet paper if you like it rough on your cornhole. I'm not sure it's good for much else.
    Cornhole??? LOL

But, yeah, I agree with what you said about the mag. In fact, most muscle mags ARE full of sh*t. Unfortunately, it didn't always used to be this way, but muscle mags have definitely taken a turn for the worse. It's a rare occasion when I find an article that's actually worth reading.

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    ★☆★★☆

v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000)
    for simple post workout carbs white bread is fine. hell its at LEAST as good as dextrose...and many premade PWO drinks are loaded with sucrose and dextrose. So what makes a refined/simple carb bad post workout???

and a far as i recall the suggestions were for post workout carbs in the magazine...and they offered some decent variety, offering REAL food rather than only liquids....

Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
    for simple post workout carbs white bread is fine. hell its at LEAST as good as dextrose...and many premade PWO drinks are loaded with sucrose and dextrose. So what makes a refined/simple carb bad post workout???

and a far as i recall the suggestions were for post workout carbs in the magazine...and they offered some decent variety, offering REAL food rather than only liquids....
    http://www.indoorclimbing.com/carbohydrates.html

"You can maximize glycogen storage by eating smaller and more frequent carbohydrate meals. Eating less food, more frequently, and cutting down on protein and fat will provide a steady supply of glucose to your muscles. This will aid in muscle recovery after exercise, as well as help you "load" carbs before a workout or climbing competition."

The combination of protien and carbs is what sends your insulin through the roof. The more different sources of protien and carbs you eat, the better. Complex carbs from whole grains and pastas are the best for long term gylcogen store replenishment . Whey protien in conjunction with another source of protien is perfect. The more variety, the better - which ties into the philosophy of eating several smaller meals throughout the day especially after excersize.

Shelbz
    Last edited by Shelbz; 05-15-2007 at 12:51 AM.