Thread: Lateral Raise

NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lateral Raise

I have been seeking the perfect form for lateral raise. There are many variations recommended by this website along with other sites/magazines. I tried performing each recommended technique but I would like to hear from you guys which one you think it's the best.

Versions

Lateral Raise A - Arms facing your and completely straight. Raise dumbells until they are parallel to the shoulders without moving wrists.

Lateral Raise B - Arms facing thighs and completely straight Raise dumbells until they are parallel to the shoulders but twish the wrists until they are facing downwards

Lateral Raise C - Arms on thighs and elbows slightly bent. Raise dumbells while the elbows are still bent but
    twist the wrist until they are facing downwards facing downwards

Lateral Raise D - Arms on the side of the thighs but with palm facing outwards as if you are in a bicep curl position. Lift both arms to the side without bending your elbows.

Lateral Raise E - in a hammer curl position with elbows bent at 90 degrees. Lift arms to side and twist the wrist till it's facing downwards.

That's all I could think of now. There are just too many variations for this particular excercise. I tried experimenting with each and I like the version C the best. However, I also feel my back is slightly worked while doing C. My form could be bad but i do not swing the weights or use my body weight for extra momentum.

I just need to know if I'm doing the right type of lateral raise for maximum growth. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think the C is the right one. I don't understand that "facing downwards facing downwards" though.

NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoChemicals is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    sorry.. let me rephrase. when you are raising the dumbells, you twist your wrists so each palm is kind of facing downwards. not completely downwards but maybe 45 degrees. Hope this clarifies the earlier confusion.

Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scientist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes this is IMO the best one as also the most common to all. It is also safe to rotator cuff and joints.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    at the top thumb and pinky are roughly even....do not do a 'pouring water' motion (such that pinky ends up above thumb) as lots advocate unless you like shoulder injuries.

that'st he most common mistake.

ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Here are the considerations for a PERFECT lateral raise.

Start - arms at sides, but out a bit to keep tension, palms facing body, arms slightly bent.

Action - rotate elbows straight out to sides, always lead with elbows, hand must stay slightly lower than elbows, do not increase elbow bend as you raise.

Top - elbows stop at shoulder level, elbow still slightly bent, hands must be lower than elbow (you are now in the same position of a scarecrow on a stick, lol)

- the body doesn't like to isolate the med delt. To help, the brain rotates the hand higher than the elbow, thus bringing in the front delt. Or, you shrug to create momentum. Or you bend the elbow, creating a shorter lever arm, dereasing the resistance
    -anytime the hand is equal to or higher, you are training the front delt mostly
    -your grip on the DB must be the least possible without dropping it, or you will focus on the hand and will raise it above the elbow
    -do these seated or you will cheat with leg bounce
    -25 lbs at arms length is a hell of a lot of torque on the shoulder; mathematically more than a fully extented DB raise
    -pouring the water (or milk) is not correct, it is the hand/elbow relationship that matters to keeping the med delt in play
    www.revised-training.com
    Training got better

Mr. Widebody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The conventional way like as in version c without the twisting of the wrist is fine for beginners. I also use the palms facing forward grip when I do my style of lying laterals. You can also use a palms facing backward grip which provides a great burn in the delts.
    Last edited by Mr. Widebody; 04-28-2004 at 07:55 PM.

Originally posted by Mr. Widebody
    The conventional way like as in version c without the twisting of the wrist is fine for beginners. I also use the palms out grip when I do my style of lying laterals. You can also use a palms facing backward grip which provides a great burn in the delts.
    my shoulders cringe just thinking of using that type of grip on laterals :/

I knew you would respond quickly to this. It's not as bad as it seems. What I did was cut the grip pad off one of my dumbells. That way I can put the weight on one side and grip the the others side instead of having to keep my hand in the middle. Feels easier on my shoulders than the conventional way. And I have seen more results as of late.

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    my shoulders cringe just thinking of using that type of grip on laterals :/

Cool

Here's a pic of what I am talking about. Again, you will have to maximize it to get a good picture of it though.
    Attached Images

icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000)
    ah, mr. widebody got his camera working! i think its time you showed me the proper form for your lying lateral raises

Originally posted by Mr. Widebody
    Here's a pic of what I am talking about. Again, you will have to maximize it to get a good picture of it though.
    i think we have a-rod Jr. in the making

Talking

Very funny! You made me spit out some of my protein shake when I read your little comment.

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    i think we have a-rod Jr. in the making

Jimineye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What I do is I have my arms slightly bent, and start them infront of my quads. I then move them outwards keeping my arms slightly bent through out the motion which I stop at slightly above parallel. I then return them slowly back down to the starting position.

Thumbs up great feedback

thanks everybody for the feedback.

i could feel my upperback muscles being worked while doing version C. Does that mean my form is bad? I also notice a lot of people use their body for momentum to raise the dumbells when they are working to failure. Looks like a painful workout to me but is it normal?

furthermore, my shoulders are the weakest part of my body. I can only lateral raise a 20 pound dumbell with proper form. Instead of doing low reps with heavy weights, I normally do high reps with light weights.

This is my shoulder routine:

Shoulders Sets Reps
    Dumbell Lateral Raise 5 15-15-8-6-8
    Dumbell Shoulder Press 3 10-8-8
    Dumbell Rear Lateral Raise 4 10-10-8-8
    Dumbell Front Lateral Raise 4 10-10-8-8
    Single Arm Cable Lateral Raise 3 till failure

The last excercise could be overkill but I just want to feel the PUMP!!!!!

Any thoughts on my shoulder workout? Thanks.

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)

Re: great feedback

Originally posted by NoChemicals

i could feel my upperback muscles being worked while doing version C. Does that mean my form is bad? I also notice a lot of people use their body for momentum to raise the dumbells when they are working to failure. Looks like a painful workout to me but is it normal?

furthermore, my shoulders are the weakest part of my body. I can only lateral raise a 20 pound dumbell with proper form. Instead of doing low reps with heavy weights, I normally do high reps with light weights.

Shoulders Sets Reps

Simply too mucho , light weights are good for the pump but they are crap when it comes to muscle size and strength
    Attached Images
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

Re: great feedback

Originally posted by NoChemicals

Shoulders Sets Reps

wayyyyyyyy too much

cut it downt o like

2set overhead pressing
    2set laterals
    2set r/c work