xaaronthomasx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronthomasx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronthomasx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronthomasx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronthomasx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronthomasx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronthomasx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronthomasx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronthomasx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronthomasx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronthomasx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Whats the best way for a wrestler to be conditioned???

Hey guys im 17 and im wrestling for highschool for the first time next year,

I did brazilian jujitsu for a year so im familiar with the ground, but it will take some learning all summer im gonna wrestle and try to learn it all and get somewhat decent.

But i was wandering how do wrestlers train?>?? and whats the best condition a wrestler can be in? muscular endurance? strength? cardio?ect..???

Also do wrestlers do just core training and abb workouts or do they do isolated muscle workouts liek a body builder, cus lots of wrestlers at my school are ripped all over?? look like body builders sorta.
    IM A SUPER SAIYAN

deRusett will become famous soon enough. (+50) deRusett will become famous soon enough. (+50) deRusett will become famous soon enough. (+50) deRusett will become famous soon enough. (+50) deRusett will become famous soon enough. (+50) deRusett will become famous soon enough. (+50) deRusett will become famous soon enough. (+50) deRusett will become famous soon enough. (+50) deRusett will become famous soon enough. (+50) deRusett will become famous soon enough. (+50) deRusett will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by xaaronthomasx View Post

I did brazilian jujitsu for a year so im familiar with the ground, but it will take some learning all summer im gonna wrestle and try to learn it all and get somewhat decent.

But i was wandering how do wrestlers train?>?? and whats the best condition a wrestler can be in? muscular endurance? strength? cardio?ect..???

Also do wrestlers do just core training and abb workouts or do they do isolated muscle workouts liek a body builder, cus lots of wrestlers at my school are ripped all over?? look like body builders sorta.

Your bjj is going to hurt you at first before help you, bjj does all ground defense from your back, Wrestling all ground defense is from your belly

Your defintion of ripped could be different then mine, all the wrestlers might just be cut because they must maintain low body fat, Ripped IMO is a combination of size and low b/f like your muscles are ripping through your skin kinda thing, few wrestlers, atleat few that are good have this physic because flexibility is important to a wrestler, in BBing it is not,

RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

No athlete ever does core training/ab work or isolate muscles. Athletes do total body workouts generally or upper/lower work outs. For conditioning do sandbad sprints, medicine ball slams, sledgehammer to tires, and throwing around a sandbag. So like throw the sandbag.. run over throw it again.. keep doing it. Rest then repeat.

I'm close to the edge Take it all's Avatar
    Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Overall............. Off sseason I would do strength And a month before season cardio
    2007-2008 Football seasons 4 months away

A broad incision sits across the evening
    The victim to our fathers lost war
    The restless children sit and mourn the graves
    Of those they've never seen before
    Will they be buried here among the dead?
    In the silent secret

" Summer of Simms" "Sence my distraction left me I can go back to whats important Fu.cking, sucking , lifting and drinking"-ME

I'm close to the edge Take it all's Avatar
    Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Take it all has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Overall............. Off sseason I would do strength And a month before season cardio
    2007-2008 Football seasons 4 months away

A broad incision sits across the evening
    The victim to our fathers lost war
    The restless children sit and mourn the graves
    Of those they've never seen before
    Will they be buried here among the dead?
    In the silent secret

" Summer of Simms" "Sence my distraction left me I can go back to whats important Fu.cking, sucking , lifting and drinking"-ME

Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Right now, season really doesn't start for almost 6 months, so just focus on putting on all the muscle you can. I can't stress this part enough. Being new to wrestling, there's going to be some wrestlers you won't be able to out-technique, but if you get strong enough, you can out-muscle them.

I usually go running a couple times a weeks, just to maintain what little cardio I have right now. But for you just focus on lifting hard. Like the above user said, you'll be just fine if you start cardio training only a month before season. Good luck.

bjjbadboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjjbadboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjjbadboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjjbadboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjjbadboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjjbadboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjjbadboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjjbadboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjjbadboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjjbadboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjjbadboy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    best work out for wrestling is wrestling.... summer wrestling makes winter chamions..find a clinch go to a summer camp...lift to get stronger incorperating circut training...def cardio...3 mile runs and sprints...i would make my coaches prod by telling you wrestling is 30% muscle and 70%brains....deff try to get strong but most important is techniques and imo endurance...if you get 2 or 3 takedowns downs really good, good takedown deffense, learn an escape and be able to out endurance your oppenant you will break him, not be taken down when choosing to be down you will get up and take him back down...etc....theres freestyle all summer get on it...good luck,,great sport in the world,, if you have the heart... shouldnt even call it a sport every wrestler would agree its a life..

Shitin' and Miscin' teriyakisaki's Avatar
    teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    besides obvious practice, i think most of your weight training, especially during the season should have a circuit training focus. in all reality you need to worry about what is better for you to maintain and still make weight and be competitive. ideally you'll want to be both strong, explosive/agile (in the sense of being able to get into position quickly), and have good endurance. usually the higher the weight, the more they lean towards the strength end as opposed to agility.

basically you'll want to build your overall endurance. both muscular/cardiovascular and mental. wrestling isn't as easy as it looks, especially if youre going till the end and it comes down to points. definately do a lot of training to get used to being on your stomach, not your back. thats where the most difficulty will come for you having a bjj background where not giving up the back is so crucial.

aarongreene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aarongreene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One of the biggest difference between bbj and wrestling, is in wrestling it has 3 2 min periods and bbj is continuious. which means wrestling is an all out sprint. you have to train in that manner. You have to get your anaerobic threshold up. I like to use the elliptical trainer for this. I'll max out the resistance so i'm also using upper body. go 40 sec max speed, then reduce resistance go 20 sec, repeat about 6 times or more. its tough but good.
    Dam the Tor****es! Full speed ahead!

cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Well this is gonna be a shock but my advice for someone who has never wrestled before.....GET RUNNING! Seriously. I mean I know at our practices we RUN not jog RUN for 30-45 mins while after 10 mins or so he yells out randomn exercise (seriously he does it on the fly) everything from rolling your arms to summer saults, push ups, sit ups, mountain climbers, full out 100% sprint as fast as you ****ing can, sprawling, shooting, bear crawls, high skips, should i go on? Then after that you drill. Then you wrestle some matches....to put it lightly you have to be in great cardiovascular shape. Mind you strength is very important too!. Lifting is an awesome thing too! Power cleans, squats, lunges, snatches, there all important. If you have anymore questions PM me. Oh but remember get use to drinking alot of water...that is a major downfall of alot of wrestlers.
    "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and couragous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go" Joshua 1:9 NIV

RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RaferAlston26 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by RaferAlston26 View Post
    No athlete ever does core training/ab work or isolate muscles. Athletes do total body workouts generally or upper/lower work outs. For conditioning do sandbad sprints, medicine ball slams, sledgehammer to tires, and throwing around a sandbag. So like throw the sandbag.. run over throw it again.. keep doing it. Rest then repeat.
    Opps I'm an idiot. Yes they do.

ghswrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghswrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghswrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghswrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghswrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghswrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghswrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The main thing when trainign for wrestling is push urself so hard that you literally feel like ur are goin to dye, and then keep going. The more u do this the easier the matches become (trust me) I scored most of my points against tought opponents late in the match when they were tired and i just kept trucking.

Things that helped me...During season i did circuit training which is say i do bench press, squats, pullups, bicep curls and dips. I would do thos ein order without resting in between sets then rest after all 5 exercises are completed for about 2-3 minutes then repeat 3-4 times. You can do any exercises you want although i recommend pullups and rope climbing for grip CUZ U WILL NEED GRIP if u dont got a rope bring a t-shirt role it up and hold on to that when u do pullups.

U can do an upper body split one day and lower body split another day or full body like i did it is very taxing on ur boyd and weight lifting shoudl be completed 2 times a week in season (3 times if doing upper lower body split)

One thing that greatly helped me this year was havinga buddy get on my back and running/walking up a hill and takin gturns...this really makes u push ur limits as u constantly want to quit.

Focus more on sprints in ur cardio as those are much better then long distance runnig....i personally ran/walked up a hill with my wrestlin partner after every practice 4-5 times and it was a long hill. I did sprints 3-4 times a week and ran long distance 2 times a week. Still run long distanace 3-5 miles but run sprints more often. I did round 20 50 yard spritns for my sprints. with lil rest in between.

Trust me if u do all these things..no one will have better cardio

Following this routine i finished the season strong...last year i was 56-8 with 4 of my losses coming in last 3 weeks because my body got tired as season wore on. This year i went undefetaed and was stronger each week. Buddy climbs are definately recommended and 2 weeks before state definately cut back on the training
    Last edited by ghswrestler; 05-13-2007 at 11:37 AM.
    State Champ 171 lbs 54-0