Eddiejt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddiejt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddiejt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddiejt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddiejt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddiejt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddiejt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddiejt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddiejt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddiejt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddiejt is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lower back pain after dead lifts/squats.

I'm experiencing lower back pain after doing a few sets of squats and dead lifts for at least 16 hours (the pain that is). The pain's not exactly crippling, but I am aware of an ache there. Is this normal, is my technique wrong, or is my back particularly weak?

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i'd get it checked out

also make sure you form is perfect as this will prevent it from happening again if its form related

enduser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy

done deads last night. quite sore and uncomfortable this morning. seems to be going away now.

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by enduser
    done deads last night. quite sore and uncomfortable this morning. seems to be going away now.
    is it just doms? or injury soreness?

Originally posted by tetsuo
    is it just doms? or injury soreness?
    doms?

well.. its seems to be much better now. must have just been a bit of tightness. no sweat.

Stimpy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Lower back pain after dead lifts/squats.

Originally posted by Eddiejt
    I'm experiencing lower back pain after doing a few sets of squats and dead lifts for at least 16 hours (the pain that is). The pain's not exactly crippling, but I am aware of an ache there. Is this normal, is my technique wrong, or is my back particularly weak?
    yup i used to get this pain too. it usually lasted for around 2 days or so after my deadlift day. I'm not really sure why its there but i was told that it may be due to not getting enough protein or sleep. When i started sleeping more the pain got less and less and lasted for a shorter period of time.

Oh, also, my form in deadlifts and squat was not 100%. it just takes a bit of time and experience to perfect the form, but once your form improves your lower back pain should get less seeing as how you're not just putting all the weight on your back. My advice, when doing squats or deadlifts always keep your head up and try looking at a certain spot throughout the whole motion, like looking at the ceiling. If you look down it usually hurts your lower back and kinda throws your balance.........hope that makes sense.

hope i've helped mate.
    Weight: 205lbs
    height: 6'

current max benchpress of 297lbs
    current max deadlift of 396lbs
    current max squat of 341lbs
    been seriously training since mid 2003.

Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: Lower back pain after dead lifts/squats.

Originally posted by Eddiejt
    As mentioned, it's difficult to tell if your form is bad, but I'd check it out carefully just to be sure.

I get DOMS in my lower back after deadlifts and I know it's due to me locking it out (leaning backwards slightly and contracting all my back muscles) at the top of the motion, and not due to bad form. I say if your form is perfect, don't worry about it.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    is it pain (Actually pain) or just sorness?

See All has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Eddiejt, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

I've been squatting and deadlifting more than usual lately and my back is hurting. Not excruciating pain; just a lingering tension.

It hurts worse when I lay on my back in bed. Walking is no joy, neither; that ache is always there.

Some rocket scientist told me to stretch...

WRONG!

DO NOT STRETCH!

I stretched and the next day the ache was much worse!

Give yourself some time. I read that if you are experiencing lower-back pain, you must stop lifting for 3 weeks. I read that, in a way, your body has to "glue" your back muscles back together.

By the way, I am not a doctor.

shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shanehanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    taking any PH's?

ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    A word of advice from someone who suffers many problems from lifting injuries and got wiser; that much pain means something is wrong.
    a) your back could be mis-aligned and need posture re-alignment
    b) your form is bad, such as leading with hip extension on squats
    c) your spinal erectors aren't strong enough to do the weight you lift
    or d) you are doing more weight than you can actually do and are cheating to get the weight up

Louie Simmons at Westside developed the reverse hyperextension exercise to develop the weakest link in the deadlift chain, the spinal erectors. Brilliant! You need to do them.

When you squat, don't push the bar up, push your feet through the floor (figuratively.) That will co ordinate the movement of the whole chain of muscles and joints, and will alleviate most problems with form.
    Trust me. It shouldn't be that painful