romeo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Power rack=taking off weight after each set of failure?

What I mean is,after you go to failure on an exercise(squat for example) do you have to take a bunch of the weight off,put the bar back on to the holders,and then put the weight back on?

This is how it seems to work,but I would like there would be alot of griping and such if this was the case.Is this how a power rack works?
    Is there anyway around this?

I intend to go to failure with each set(except warmup sets) and this would be alot of weight changing.

Another question about a power rack:
    I have 2 options of power racks at a local Exercise equipment store.

Option 1 has holes that you put a safety bar through.When you want to change the height,you take the bar out and put it into another hole.

Option 2 has a safety frame that you can move up and down in a mere second by holding in a latch(I am sure alot of you guys know what I am talking about).

Anyway,I was wondering does anyone have a power rack like option 2?
    It seems that with that one,as long as the weight on the bar is not super heavy,I could hold in the latch and move the frame up until it is close to the starting point,and then it would only require me to lift the bar a few inches to put it on the weight holder.
    Has anyone ever try this,and if so, did it work?

For the record,I will remove the weight if necessary,just seeing what my options are.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    option one sounds like a machine to me.

I know about option 2 but mine isn't quite as advanced. Mine just has these little adjustable arms that you can raise and lower on the different latches that hold the bar.

I would also not recommend taking your hand off the bar while adjusting the frame. Just.. it'll be awkward and possibly very dangerous.

Why not just have two people next to you and take off a plate or two when you drop the weights?
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

Thanks for the reply.

They are both power racks,neither are machines.sorry for the confusion.

They both look the same,and both have the same measurements,but with the first one,it uses a bar to spot the weight.It used the same concept that most benches uses to incline and decline.You just stick the bars inbetween the 2 holes at whatever height you want it.

As far as your answer,I agree it could be dangerous.There is a hole every 2 inches,so I was thinking, if possible,I would lift the spotting frame about 4 inches,then go to the other side and do that until I got it to where I wanted it.
    Without actually having one,I dont know if this would work out or not.

Also for the record Respawn,The power racks that I am talking about has spotters that are long(atleast 40 inches).I beleive you said you have the short one's(that look like little arms almost) so it could possibly different.

Also,I workout by myself,or else I would just by a squating rack instead of a power rack/cage.

Any other opinions/comments?

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you on a HIT-style program? If not, I wouldn't recommend going to failure on every set.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    haha I think I use a squat rack. Where its just a rack for the weight and little arms to catch the bar if you drop it or if you drop.

I think I got power rack and squat rack confused.

The kind I got is hammerstrength..
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

To dookie:First off,great name.
    I am not doing a Hit program.I am doing a somewhat popular internet program,and the program say's to take each set to failure.The program is kind of a mix between Hit style and border line volume program( somewhat high reps,high sets,but not a bunch of exercises)

To Respawn:When you desribe it,It sound like you have a squat rack that has a safety feature?
    A power rack looks like a 3d rectangle standing vertical.You can walk into it,and do your exercises and such.

Thanks guys.

For anybody reading this,I am trying to decide rather or not I should buy the second one or the first one I mentioned.

The first one is $299 and the second is $499.
    If It is possible,with the second one,to lift the spotting frame's up without having to remove a bunch of the weights,I will buy this one. If I am going to have to remove most of the weights on both of them(to get the bar back on the beginning holders) then I will just choose the cheaper one.

all comments/opinions welcomed.

talldude84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) talldude84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) talldude84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) talldude84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) talldude84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) talldude84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) talldude84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) talldude84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) talldude84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) talldude84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) talldude84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by romeo1
    To dookie:First off,great name.
    I am not doing a Hit program.I am doing a somewhat popular internet program,and the program say's to take each set to failure.The program is kind of a mix between Hit style and border line volume program( somewhat high reps,high sets,but not a bunch of exercises)

To Respawn:When you desribe it,It sound like you have a squat rack that has a safety feature?
    A power rack looks like a 3d rectangle standing vertical.You can walk into it,and do your exercises and such.

Thanks guys.

For anybody reading this,I am trying to decide rather or not I should buy the second one or the first one I mentioned.

The first one is $299 and the second is $499.
    If It is possible,with the second one,to lift the spotting frame's up without having to remove a bunch of the weights,I will buy this one. If I am going to have to remove most of the weights on both of them(to get the bar back on the beginning holders) then I will just choose the cheaper one.

all comments/opinions welcomed.
    You're gonna have to take off the weight, put the bar back up, put the weights back on...doesn't matter what sort of rack you have. If you had a workout partner, you could just have him help you on the last rep to get the bar back up.

NTAnnin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    just squat, drop weight and start your next set at the bottom of the movement. It will help you work through the hardest part of the movement and save you the time it takes to take all the weights off, lift the bar, and put them back on. That is what I would suggest. I have the parabody power rack and I have started my squats at all levels of the movement to help me break through the harder parts of the exercise. Mine does have the option 2 that you are talking about, but I think that it would be difficult and just as cumbersome to do what you are talking about as it would to just remove the weights. Personally, I'd start at the bottom of the movement for the next sets... Hope thats what you are looking for.

Thanks talldude and NTAnnin.
    You both gave me the answer's I was looking for.I will just by the cheaper one then.

I will give the "lifting from the bottom position" a try,hopefully it will workout great.Also,I plan to get heavy weights(by heavy I mean instead having 6 weights that combined weights 90lbs,I will get 2 45lb weights).This way,If I do take off the weights and put them back on,it will be less work.

Thanks again.