deviousscribe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Stuck! Help please!

I used to work out with a personal trainer, who started me with strength training. I gained about 10lbs of muscle, weighed about 185lbs. He moved away though and I tried to maintain his routines, but couldn't maintain that level and I'm now 215lbs, 21% body fat. My diet is very rigid, mini wheats and 6 egg whites for breakfast, assorted protein through the day(meat, syntha 6, and NOW whey protein isolate), at least 140 grams a day, yet I can't seem to lose weight or gain muscle

The problem is that I've been working out for the last 2 years and barely made any progress, I've plateaued on my all exercises and even mixing them up I can't seem to make any gains.

My exercises, 3 times a week, either squat, shoulder deadlift, or squat, pull-ups, bench alternated.

Bench - 125lbs
    Shoulder press - 95lbs
    Deadlift - 165lbs
    Squat - 135lbs
    Pull-ups
    Farmers Walk - 85lb dumbbells
    10 minutes of incline walking/running

I'm about to start a supplement regimen, but I wonder if that will make a difference or if its a diet problem. Help!

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Protein looks low. According to your stats, you have about 170lbs LBM ... should be getting at least that many grams of protein. Supps (beyond protein) aren't likely to make this issue go away. Lifts look low for 2yrs ... eh, could be form issue, could be caloric intake far too low (your maintenance level is ... ?).

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You mentioned two opposing goals so I'm wondering which you are focusing on at the moment: losing weight or gaining muscle? If you've been trying to do both at the same time for the last two years, I think I know why your lifts are low and you aren't making any progress.

Good point, my greater focus now would be gaining muscle. I mentioned the losing weight because I figured a low calorie intake would at least allow me to do that. I had stepped up my calorie intake in the past and not seen any muscle gain, so I scaled back but didn't see any weight loss. I admit that I'm a novice, but I'm very much interested to learn about bodybuilding and despite the lack of success, I do love lifting. Any ideas or advice?

Originally Posted by mrmrbill View Post
    Protein looks low. According to your stats, you have about 170lbs LBM ... should be getting at least that many grams of protein. Supps (beyond protein) aren't likely to make this issue go away. Lifts look low for 2yrs ... eh, could be form issue, could be caloric intake far too low (your maintenance level is ... ?).
    My maintenance level is roughly 3000 calories, IIRC. I had my form assessed by trainers at the gym, and they didn't see any serious issues, although I know my squats could use work. Yeah its quite frustrating not seeing my lifts go up, I'd make small gains and then my form would disintegrate so badly I'd have to drop back down.

richw76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) richw76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by deviousscribe View Post
    My maintenance level is roughly 3000 calories, IIRC. I had my form assessed by trainers at the gym, and they didn't see any serious issues, although I know my squats could use work. Yeah its quite frustrating not seeing my lifts go up, I'd make small gains and then my form would disintegrate so badly I'd have to drop back down.
    If I were you I would do two things. Your diet sounds fine. But given your weight/lean body mass you should be much stronger.

I would read mark rippletoes starting strength and start a progressive strength training routine. I like the wendler 5/3/1 or the 5x5 routines.

Also you should be lifting less than an hour. And during the lift you and the bar are the only things in the world. Focus. No cellphones, or looking at girls until your set is over.

If you do that you'll get stronger and build a base and you'll get bigger.

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It might be routine-oriented, as richw suggests. There may not have been adequate progression built into the routine. I'd still re-visit the protein issue. At your current BF level, you should strive to cut. The excess BF could help fuel add'l gains + your lifts are still at a novice level, so could (at this point) have some success cutting while gaining strength, though it may have led to stalling issues in the past.