Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What is the best way to get 200g of protien a day? How do you do it?

The Whey Protien shake crap I have is 25g per serving, but 8 servings a day seems to make be feel bloated.
    Rangers Lead the Way!

Never shall I fail my comrades I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the tasks whatever it may be one hundred percent and then some.

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you take 200g of whey a day your an idiot.

You get protein from food!
    "my grocery bill looks like a ransom note"

cmp53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well you would only need 8 servings a day if you ate or drank nothing else. think about all of the other foods/ drinks you have throughout the day that have protein in them. milk, eggs, chicken, tuna, turkey are all good ways to add protein to a diet.

-c.

RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Have you ever heard of:
    - tuna
    - chicken
    - milk
    - turkey
    - beef
    - cottage cheese

?

and the list goes on and on...
    "Strive for perfection,
    Nothing less"

LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk
    Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk
    Milk Milk Milk Milk

Milk Milk Milk Milk

And when your done with that why dont you drink some Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk
    Milk Milk Milk Milk

Till it comes out your nose!!!!!!!

Don't forget the other food though

im a milk spammer !!!
    WOW, STRONG TEA - MY BRUV FITNESSMAN

One of the most educational threads thats ever been posted. Thankyou DF1, madcow, Dom etc for increasing my knowledge on training tenfold. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=591896

guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Now, Now...Let's be nice!

Do you mix your whey with milk? Skim, 1%, 2% whatever...I mix one scoop of whey with about half a litre of milk (A little over a pint, I guess??) That adds about 17g right there. 25+17=42g! Pretty good. Take that X 3 and you've got 126g. At that point, it's hard not to get over 200g with food.
    Orthodox Atheist.
    Concealed Hatred Is Cowardice - Henry Rollins.
    "I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men." -The Ghosts, 1877

guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) guym is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Funny! 2 milk posts in 2 minutes!

Milk Spam rules! 2400% better than Muscletech spam! (Or Cell-tech, for that matter...)
    Orthodox Atheist.
    Concealed Hatred Is Cowardice - Henry Rollins.
    "I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men." -The Ghosts, 1877

shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10) shifty is on a distinguished road. (+10)

An Idiot I am not, but new to this I am.

I believe I need ~2g of protein per lb of weight. I weigh ~175, thus I need about ~350g of protein. I get about 1/2 that from food, the 200 was a rough estimate of what I believe I need to still take in.

I did forget to think about the milk I mix with my Whey. Thanks for that info.
    Rangers Lead the Way!

Never shall I fail my comrades I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the tasks whatever it may be one hundred percent and then some.

decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    2 grams per day for body weight is generally not needed. Most athletes, including body builders consume too much protein.

Basically, as athletes, we need more calories than the average, sedentary person. For example, a 200 pound body builder may need as many as 4,000 calories per day. The Physician and SportsMedicine, vol. 25, # 8 (August 1997). The same article notes that "Protein is the basic building material for muscle tissue, and strength trainers need to consume more than the rest of us." The study concluded that to MAINTAIN muscle, the average body builder needed .6 grams per pound of body weight. Thus, the 200 pound athlete needs approximately 120 grams of protein. To BUILD muscle, the same journal recommends .7 grams of protein per pound of body weight or approximately 140 grams for the 200 pound body builder seeking to add muscle.

The article, which surveys the scientific literature, concludes: "Based on a wide review of scientific data, currrent protein daily recommendations for serious strength trainers are about .6 to .8 grams per pound. This equals 90 to 115 grams per day for the 140 pound strength trainer and, 128 to 164 grams for the 200-pounder."

That figue is confirmed by another article written by Mary Clark and published in the April 1996 edition of the same journal. She notes: "For example, a 200-pound bodybuilder may need about 140 g of protein a day (0.7 g of protein per pound), whereas a 150-pound marathoner may need about 120 g of protein per day (0.8 g of protein per pound). Most people can get enough protein through their diet, eliminating the need for protein supplements." She provides the following table:

Table 1. Recommended Grams of Protein Per Pound of Body Weight Per Day*

RDA for sedentary adult 0.4
    Adult recreational exerciser 0.5-0.75
    Adult competitive athlete 0.6-0.9
    Adult building muscle mass 0.7-0.9
    Dieting athlete 0.7-1.0
    Growing teenage athlete 0.9-1.0

*To find your daily protein requirement, multiply the appropriate numbers in this table by your weight in pounds.

The results of these two peer reviewed journal articles are also consistent with information in an article published by Columbia University. There the author writes:

"How much protein do bodybuilders need? First figure out how many calories you need. If you're not taking in enough calories, you can't build muscle tissue efficiently. That's because your body will be burning most of your calories, not using them to repair muscle tissue. For example, take a 180 pound guy -- if he's moderately active, he probably needs about 2700 calories a day (plus or minus a few) to maintain his weight. Besides his moderate daily activity level, he could burn about 500 calories during an hour of heavy weightlifting. If he wants to add one pound of muscle weight per week, he needs approximately 500 extra calories per day plus about 500 more to make up for the energy deficit from intense weightlifting. This makes his grand total to be around 3700 calories a day. So how can we translate this number to his protein needs? The RDA for protein has been established at 0.8 grams/kg of body weight for adults. This is not enough to build muscle mass for intense athletes. Although it's difficult to pinpoint a specific number because you have to take into account many variables, research has determined an acceptable range: even at the very high end, the top protein intake needs to be 1.5 - 2.0 g/kg of body weight. For our 180 lb. (divided by 2.2 = 82 kg) lifter, this would be 122 - 164 grams of protein per day. Since protein has 4 calories per gram, then this amount of protein would comprise 13 - 18 percent of his daily caloric intake of 3700 calories; the usual recommendation is about 12 - 15 percent. As you can see, a huge excess of protein is not needed."

I think these articles make sense. We need to keep in mind that people managed to add considerable muscle and be strong long before companies started to make millions of dollars by peddling protein supplements to athletes convinced that they were not getting enough protein.

biggiesmalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by decider111
    Most athletes, including body builders consume too much protein.

*cough,coughbull****!cough,cough*

decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) decider111 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by biggiesmalls

Excellent rebuttal. I appreciated particularly the citations to journals and other sources.

The simple fact is that there is not scientific data supporting the massive quanties of protein and protein supps. many consume.

The Hessian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Aim to get most of your protein from whole foods. I am not as inclined to champion heavy milk intake as some of the bros here. It works for some, but a lot of people don't do well with too much milk. Chicken and tuna are staples, salmon is good a couple of times a week (added bonuses of omega-3s). Quinoa is an excellent secret. It is a protein-packed grain that can really help you hit your numbers (and it's easy to prepare). Whole eggs are the most anabolic food on earth, imho.
    Agents of chaos cast burning glances at anything or anyone capable of bearing witness to their condition, their fever of lux et voluptas. I am awake only in what I love & desire to the point of terror--everything else is just shrouded furniture, quotidian anaesthesia, ****-for-brains, sub-reptilian ennui of totalitarian regimes, banal censorship & useless pain.

Thanks Decider111 and Hessian.
    Rangers Lead the Way!

Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by decider111

The simple fact is that there is not scientific data supporting the massive quanties of protein and protein supps. many consume.
    Well, unreliable sources shouldn't be considered as sources at all.

LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LostProphet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by biggiesmalls

LOL

One of the most educational threads thats ever been posted. Thankyou DF1, madcow, Dom etc for increasing my knowledge on training tenfold. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=591896

Originally posted by The Hessian
    Aim to get most of your protein from whole foods. I am not as inclined to champion heavy milk intake as some of the bros here. It works for some, but a lot of people don't do well with too much milk. Chicken and tuna are staples, salmon is good a couple of times a week (added bonuses of omega-3s). Quinoa is an excellent secret. It is a protein-packed grain that can really help you hit your numbers (and it's easy to prepare). Whole eggs are the most anabolic food on earth, imho.
    I agree completely. I also recommend adding peanut butter (natural is best), egg whites, other nuts, soy products, beans and rice (the combination provides a good complex protein), and other fish. Basically, the best approach is to go for as varied a mix of proteins as possible.

Logo said: "Well, unreliable sources shouldn't be considered as sources at all. "

I agree, but I am not getting the point.

bOBeRt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bOBeRt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bOBeRt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bOBeRt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bOBeRt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bOBeRt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bOBeRt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bOBeRt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bOBeRt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bOBeRt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bOBeRt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hessian

We carry Quinoa in our store, i knew it was really good for you, but i thought it has incomplete proteins??

furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) furmanranger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ...though I be the lone survivor.

Hoo-Ah

MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by LostProphet
    Milk Milk Milk Milk

Milk Milk Milk Milk

And when your done with that why dont you drink some Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk Milk
    Milk Milk Milk Milk

Till it comes out your nose!!!!!!!

Don't forget the other food though

im a milk spammer !!!
    Hahahaha... You must be a dairy farmer! I can see you now sucking on your cows teats trying to get some Colostrum.
    murphy240@hushmail.com

MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by The Hessian
    Whole eggs are the most anabolic food on earth, imho.
    BUMP on that! Ever since I started eating eggs everyday I've noticed the size really start to pack on.
    murphy240@hushmail.com

stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000)
    1 GALLON OF 1% MILK PER DAY.....i dont care if it works, i just like it!!

EDIT: I started drinking skim milk 1 gallon/day, then moved up to 1%. Ever since i went from 171 to 179 in a matter of 7-10 days, it was simply amazing. Yeah I got a little fatter, but i dont care, i got bigger.
    Last edited by stangs; 04-16-2002 at 06:07 PM.

Originally posted by stangs
    1 GALLON OF 1% MILK PER DAY.....i dont care if it works, i just like it!!

EDIT: I started drinking skim milk 1 gallon/day, then moved up to 1%. Ever since i went from 171 to 179 in a matter of 7-10 days, it was simply amazing. Yeah I got a little fatter, but i dont care, i got bigger.
    Bump on that

Milk is amazing

MuscleTech Milk is the best its 90000000000% better than normal milk, this is because of the added ingredient of somthing known to scientists as bull ****.

Note: Bull **** may cause people to make procotious claims about a product which is utter bollox.

shaun is just really nice. (+1000) shaun is just really nice. (+1000) shaun is just really nice. (+1000) shaun is just really nice. (+1000) shaun is just really nice. (+1000) shaun is just really nice. (+1000) shaun is just really nice. (+1000) shaun is just really nice. (+1000) shaun is just really nice. (+1000) shaun is just really nice. (+1000) shaun is just really nice. (+1000)
    although milk is good, its pretty rich in carbs. i'd say eat your tuna

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The best muscle building food in the world is....wait for it........

whole egg - the only food source that contains all 22 amino acids as found in human muscle tissue.

I do agree most people take in too much protein, I don't particularly worry about it. I like eating meat and drinking milk so I'll always be getting plenty.
    "my grocery bill looks like a ransom note"

Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Judo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    cottage cheese

Sadly for me I dislike Eggs and Cottage Cheese. On the bright side I love milk.
    Rangers Lead the Way!

TPRES has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Decider111 you can choose to believe whatever you like. Just for your info, however, the Physician and Sportsmedicine is not the type of journal that you want to quote when it comes to nutrition. Trust me on this one at one time I was an ATC and I bought into the crap that is pushed on nutrition among that crowd. Trust me if you lift hard and want to get bigger you need a lot more protein than what is recommended in that journal. In fact many trainers and nutrition specialists now regard the levels recommended in your article to be well below what hard training athletes really need. You quoted Mary Clark, who the hell is that? Is she a powerlifter? Is she a bodybuilder? What knowledge has she accumulated by going to the gym 5 days a week and training to within an inch of her life? You can choose to buy into the crap that she is selling if you want to. Personally I will continue to listen to folks like Dr. Mauro Dipasquale, and Dr. Eric Cerrano, both of whom have experience in powerlifting or bodybuilding. Each of these gentlemen recommend protein intakes much higher than what you mentioned. In fact my personal favorite is Terry Giles who is a phd and designed the new Met-Rx apm 60. He knows more about nutrition and supplemention than most of us will ever imagine. His rule of thumb is 2 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass to gain muscle. Do the math and it is a lot more than Mary Clark recommends. Of course who would want to listen to someone who is 5'10 and weighs 295?

yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000) yklyachkin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    bump on that noise
    Always in on join date threads crew

Pусский Бра Kpy crew

K (same) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1lb of lean meat =120-128 gram of protein

Really K(same)? Damn, I eat a pound a day of 95% lean hamburger when I am not eating chicken.

Hell, maybe I am getting enough protien after all.
    Rangers Lead the Way!