weeman75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

nubie trying to understand the 40/40/20 rule

according to a web site my calorie intake should be between 1570 to 2160. my body weight is 170 lbs. and i need to drop 15 lbs. to be at my ideal weight before hitting the weights hard. so my question is. if 40% is for protine and 40% is for carbs and 20% is for fats, how do i break it down into breakfast, lunch, and dinner? also what should my daily fat burn rate be or is it just total calories that need to be burned? plus i really dont know how to structure a diet to reach my goals of losing 2 lbs. per week. today was my first day of lifting i feel tight i guess thats a good thing. i will post my work out rutine shortly for advice on that too. i could really use some help here

anthonyfel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anthonyfel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anthonyfel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anthonyfel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anthonyfel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anthonyfel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anthonyfel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anthonyfel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anthonyfel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anthonyfel is a jewel in the rough. (+500) anthonyfel is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: nubie trying to understand the 40/40/20 rule

Originally posted by weeman75
    according to a web site my calorie intake should be between 1570 to 2160. my body weight is 170 lbs. and i need to drop 15 lbs. to be at my ideal weight before hitting the weights hard. so my question is. if 40% is for protine and 40% is for carbs and 20% is for fats, how do i break it down into breakfast, lunch, and dinner? also what should my daily fat burn rate be or is it just total calories that need to be burned? plus i really dont know how to structure a diet to reach my goals of losing 2 lbs. per week. today was my first day of lifting i feel tight i guess thats a good thing. i will post my work out rutine shortly for advice on that too. i could really use some help here
    Well,

Currently, you weight 170 and wan to drop 15lbs or 155lbs.

At 155lbs, you will need 1550 calories a day at complete rest, I say well at complete rest. You will need to add some calories according to your lifestyle and activity level.

1550 calories breaks down according to the ratio 40/40/20 give you:
    >>620 calories or 155gr of protein
    >>620 calories or 155gr of carbohydrate
    >>310 calories or 35gr of fat

Instead of three meals, set at least 5 or 6 smaller rmeals through the day.
    Indeed, smaller meals break your carb intake into smaller, but more frequent portions. Carbs are the double edge sword in weight loss. They provide fuel, yet in excess, or when there is too much sugar from carbs in the blood at one time, fat can be stored and fat breakdown ceases.

Moreover, smaller meals allow for better nutrient absorption and it becomes more difficult to store body fat. So, if you eat the right types of carbs, the natural slower burning kinds such as oats, yams, beans,... with plenty of fibers from veggies, it would be very likely you would lose body fat.

Likewise, set a goal of losing no more 1lb a week. If you lose more, probably you will burn muscle apart fat that in turn will cause lower metabolism that in turn will be more difficult to lose fat.

With 6 meals a day, you will consume at each meal:
    >>25grs of protein
    >>25grs of carbohydrates
    >>6grs of fat

Choose lean protein like chicken and turkey breast, lean steak, egg whites, cottage cheese, protein powder, fish.

As for complex carbs, choose oatmeal, yams, sweet potatoes, rye, beans, brown rice

Some good sources of fat are all nuts and fatty fish.

weeman75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

thanks anthonyfel

now how do i know if my meals are what i need as far carbs, prtine, and fat for each meal