magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Switching from keto to LC

Hello. I am on keto diet (below 30g carbs) for little over 4 months now. I am pretty happy with the results, I lost 40 lbs and kept the strength. I did carb ups on weekends. I think its time to get off keto and switch to Low Carb diet which I never tested out, I think I would stick below 150g of carbs.
    What do you think?
    What is the best way to switch the diet, should I do it slowly or should I bring carb up to 150g right away?
    I also heard that there must be a 2 weeks break from reduced calorie intake after few weeks/months. Is that true?

Also my wife was with me on this diet for around 2 months but she did not lose any weight even with reduced calories, it must have to do something with her hormones or thyroid and she needs to have it tested. This is also a reason why I am getting into more carbs.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You don't need a two week break; if you are still progressing you don't need a break at all. Some people would benefit from taking a 1-2 weeks off and eating at maintenance before resuming their cut.

Your wife likely was eating more calories than she thought or did not exercise enough to keep her TDEE high. A thyroid or other issue is of course possible.

I haven't seen any data indicating what happens if you go from keto to low carb, but you can certainly try it and see what happens. You may find though that your body doesn't feel well on it; if that's the case just bump up the carbs and decrease the fat.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I suggest reintroducing carbs gradually. Like 100 gram carbs over the course of a week.

And don't jump into a surplus immediately. Take some time to figure out what your new maintenance is.

Originally Posted by magnumek View Post
    Also my wife was with me on this diet for around 2 months but she did not lose any weight even with reduced calories, it must have to do something with her hormones or thyroid and she needs to have it tested. This is also a reason why I am getting into more carbs.
    People always think it's their hormones or thyroid... However, science shows people are terrible at tracking calories. Even licensed nutritionists can't do it.

Put someone in a deficit (a real one) and there's probably a ~99% chance they'll lose weight. Your wife just has a much lower TDEE than you.

For reference: we get people here every day claiming that they're not losing weight while they're eating in deficit (they think) and we get people every day that claim they're not gaining weight even though they're eating in surplus (they think). The common denominator: they're not very good at tracking calories and their estimate of their TDEE is inaccurate as well.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 02-14-2018 at 03:59 AM.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50) magnumek will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you for your posts.
    That is what I was thinking, why would I make a break if I am still seeing progress, I was pumping metabolism on weekends during carb ups. But I also made a similar threat at my foreign language forum and everyone said that it is required to do a 2-3 week break after 12 weeks of reduced calorie intake.

My wife is 124lbs and 5'0". She got to as low as 1100kcal but she did not lose any weight, now she is at 1450kcal but still nothing. We are counting everything we eat so we track eachcalorie :P
    We could still continue the keto CKD diet but I dont think its good for health to be on ketosis for too long. Also if my wife has hormone issues than ketosis is a "shot in her foot".

I like my current weight and wouldnt want to go lower but I still got some stubborn fat to cut.
    What diet would you recommend?
    Is 150g carbs with HIIT cardio a good option? Or maybe I should try to get out of ketosis but still stay at very low carb amounts?
    Last edited by magnumek; 02-14-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My wife is 124lbs and 5'0". She got to as low as 1100kcal but she did not lose any weight
    If she'd stick to a REAL 1100 calories for 2 weeks, no carb ups, she'd lose weight.

A ketogenic diet does not include carb ups. Research on CKD shows it's less effective than a straight ketogenic diet.

What diet would you recommend?
    Whatever diet you prefer, allows you to feel and perform well.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    If she'd stick to a REAL 1100 calories for 2 weeks, no carb ups, she'd lose weight.
    Would 1100kcal is enough for her? I dont think her metabolism would work high enough to drop weight.
    Again, I was lynched on foreign forum for getting her on 1100kcal, they said that 1450kcal is the minumum if she is working out. I am getting really confused :P

A ketogenic diet does not include carb ups. Research on CKD shows it's less effective than a straight ketogenic diet.
    CKD is my favorite diet (system) for cutting. I noticed the least strength drops with having carb ups, but I am ready to switch it to something else as I am pretty busy on weekends and dont have too much time to do proper carb ups.

Whatever diet you prefer, allows you to feel and perform well.
    When bulking I always do high carb low fat, but when cutting I usually did CKD. I want to do more cardio to lose the stubborn fat, and I dont want to drop too much weight anymore if thats possible.
    I was thinking to increase the carbs to 150g and add HIIT. But never tried it, I dont trust mixing carbs with fat so I am not too sure about this kind of diet.
    Maybe you could recommend some other form of diet that would work for me? (with no carb ups)

Would 1100kcal is enough for her? I dont think her metabolism would work high enough to drop weight.
    Again, I was lynched on foreign forum for getting her on 1100kcal, they said that 1450kcal is the minumum if she is working out. I am getting really confused :P
    If you are 100% sure that she's not losing weight for 2 or 3 weeks on 1100 calories (not that I believe that to be accurate as you know) it would simply mean you'd have to go to 1000 calories and try that.

Maybe you could recommend some other form of diet that would work for me? (with no carb ups)
    Sounds like you are looking for a special diet, like you prefer special tricks over a regular diet. I'm the other way around. I prefer a regular diet that reaches macro and micronutrient sufficiency.

What I recommend: Just eat the foods you prefer and you're in the mood for. Your diet should have a minimum of 0.4 gram fat per lb and a minimum of 0.7 gram protein per lb. The rest is up to you.

I also recommend eating at least 4 meals with >2.5 gram leucine in them, for maximising muscle gain.

Here's the rest of my advice: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...3439001&page=1

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    If you are 100% sure that she's not losing weight for 2 or 3 weeks on 1100 calories (not that I believe that to be accurate as you know) it would simply mean you'd have to go to 1000 calories and try that.
    Do you think its okay to eat that low for her hormones?
    I know she has some hormone issues, very irregular period, libido issues, she had it tested but not as accurate as it should be, I need to get her to take the whole thyroid panel with TSH and DHEA to be sure whats going on. But even with that, it is not possible to not be losing any weight with reduced calories.
    She did lose some weight with 1100kcal but she gained it after the first carb up and never got below her starter weight.
    I raised her calories because I got a lot of hate for letting her eat that low. So you understand why am I confused so much about it right now.

Sounds like you are looking for a special diet, like you prefer special tricks over a regular diet. I'm the other way around.
    I guess I do. I always like to complicate things
    I like keto diet because I never cheat on it, I know I cant eat anything else because it will kick me out of ketosis and I stick to it veeery strictly.

So in your opinion, the best option is to get back to balanced diet instead of HF diets?

BTW why is there so many disagreements on what people (experts) are saying about diets, I got lots of posts about having to increase my calorie intake to 0 every few months for 2 weeks while cutting. There is also a very wide disagreement with the proper calorie intake - you are saying that my wife needs to go lower if she is not losing weight and other experts say that she must go up because her metabolism does not get too much kick.

Do you think its okay to eat that low for her hormones?
    No. She could even do PSMF.

I know she has some hormone issues
    No surprises there. She's a woman.

She did lose some weight with 1100kcal but she gained it after the first carb up
    There you go. So try it without the carb ups. Or look into PSMF.

So in your opinion, the best option is to get back to balanced diet instead of HF diets?
    No I don't recommend a balanced diet. I recommend that YOU eat what YOU prefer, what allows you to feel well, perform well and sleep well.

For example: when I do keto I get fed up with all the fatty foods.

BTW why is there so many disagreements on what people (experts) are saying about diets...
    Diet is a highly individual things. Some people do best on X, others on Y, others on Z. It's all about finding what works for you.

And stay away from experts that claim there's one best diet for everyone.

I think it is just like you are saying.

To be honest, I dont trust PSMF. I would be worried about her kidney and I just dont like protein as the main source of energy.
    I will still stay with LCHF but I want to modify it a little bit so I wont be in ketosis and without carb up days. Could you suggest something? Should I stay in 50-80g carb or 150g carb range?

Could you suggest something? Should I stay in 50-80g carb or 150g carb range?
    Theoretically I see benefits for 150 gram carbs definitely. Fuller glycogen stores will allow you to perform better. Carbs are also good for muscle protein breakdown.

But it's all about what works for you in practice of course.

To be honest, I dont trust PSMF. I would be worried about her kidney and I just dont like protein as the main source of energy.
    Any calorie deficit will work. Doesn't have to be PSMF. I don't share your concern for kidneys by the way.