Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    sanjm23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does Whey Protein make you gain weight>?

Hello, I have a question regarding whey Protein. Does it make you fat? Is it the same as whey gainer?

I am overweight and since I started exercising and dieting I gained another 10 lbs which have not come off yet. The only supplements I use besides vitamins and fiber is whey protein. I take 31g a day w water. I was told I was gaining and not loosing weight bec of the whey protein. Is this true? I used to take Hydroxycut Hardcore but did not really do anything for me so I stopped. Is Glutamine recommended for me?

My goal is to loose fat and build lean muscle. Thanks for any replies and sorry if I am in the wrong thread.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nope. it does not make you fat. whey protein is just pure protein. protein does not turn into fat. carbs and fats can turn into fat if you do not use it as energy, but not protein, no matter what your goal is, loose weight or gain muslce, you need lots of protein, if anything, protein is way more important for people who are trying to lose weight, cause most of those people arent eating right, they think by not eating at all or eat less is making them lose weight, but if anything, it is eating away at their muscles and bonesa and other crap is being stored as fat right away, so you do need to eat. and protein is important, very important.
    Last edited by SDOptimist; 05-01-2007 at 11:41 AM.

CHM is just really nice. (+1000) CHM is just really nice. (+1000) CHM is just really nice. (+1000) CHM is just really nice. (+1000) CHM is just really nice. (+1000) CHM is just really nice. (+1000) CHM is just really nice. (+1000) CHM is just really nice. (+1000) CHM is just really nice. (+1000) CHM is just really nice. (+1000) CHM is just really nice. (+1000)
    NO! Whey protein is great for weightloss. It is a great source of lowfat/low calorie protein. Glutamine is helpful for cutting, as it helps preserve muscle. I don't beleive it has any fat-loss properties though.
    ...Not with uncertainty. Thus I Fight:not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into Subjection...
    1 Corinthians 9:26-27

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own. You were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
    1 Corinthians 6:19-20

KingPing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingPing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingPing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingPing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingPing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KingPing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    nope. it does not make you fat. whey protein is just pure fat. protein does not turn into fat. carbs and fats can turn into fat if you do not use it as energy, but not protein, no matter what your goal is, loose weight or gain muslce, you need lots of protein, if anything, protein is way more important for people who are trying to lose weight, cause most of those people arent eating right, they think by not eating at all or eat less is making them lose weight, but if anything, it is eating away at their muscles and bonesa and other crap is being stored as fat right away, so you do need to eat. and protein is important, very important.
    ???
    i weigh so little cuz i have tiny legs (yes, i know, i need to work on them), so no making fun

if it ain't sore, lift some more

jk

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KingPing View Post
    ???
    lol my bad, i meant pure protein. i'll fix it.

Thank you for the replies. Now I know I can continue with the whey protein. It was difficult to do without since it is my best source of constant protein. I will start with my glutamine now too.

Do you think I need to continue with the hydroxcut HC?

Originally Posted by sanjm23 View Post
    Thank you for the replies. Now I know I can continue with the whey protein. It was difficult to do without since it is my best source of constant protein. I will start with my glutamine now too.

Do you think I need to continue with the hydroxcut HC?
    as long as you eat right and workout right then you dont need those supps like hydroxycut.

Thumbs up

cool, thank you.

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    uhh protein can turn into fat too...as will any excess calories.
    @__@

Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Whey protein is a great thing to use to get your protein intake while trying to lose some fat, because as others have said it doesn't have a lot of calories (if any depending on the pounding) coming from carbs or fat. Double check the label on yours though.

Thanks for asking a polite question. If you post a sample day of your diet I might be able to help you accelerate your weight loss.

Don't need the hydroxycut hardcore.

unoucme will become famous soon enough. (+50) unoucme will become famous soon enough. (+50) unoucme will become famous soon enough. (+50) unoucme will become famous soon enough. (+50) unoucme will become famous soon enough. (+50) unoucme will become famous soon enough. (+50) unoucme will become famous soon enough. (+50) unoucme will become famous soon enough. (+50) unoucme will become famous soon enough. (+50) unoucme will become famous soon enough. (+50) unoucme will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Then, according to this thread, I dont need to count the calories from protien in my calorie intake. Thanks for making so clear :sarcasm:

JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by unoucme View Post
    Then, according to this thread, I dont need to count the calories from protien in my calorie intake. Thanks for making so clear :sarcasm:
    protein supplement has calories, why wouldn't you count it?
    Powerlifting log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172662011&page=1

xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. It just happens fat is 9 Calories per gram while protein is only 4 Calories per gram.

On a relative side note, on my protein powder (Optimum Nutrition), it contains the following warning: "For a supplement only. Do not use for weight reduction."
    Maybe they intend this so people don't use this as their primary source of food and live off protein powders, ignoring other nutrients.

Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by unoucme View Post
    lol wtf are you talking about bud.

He must be on creatine! slaydox's Avatar
    slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slaydox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by grapemaster View Post
    uhh protein can turn into fat too...as will any excess calories.
    Thank you! I was reading and like....wtf? no one corrected him lol

Protein can be tunred into fat as can carbs and fat but they can only do so if your in an caloric excess state.

TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sanjm23 View Post
    Hello, I have a question regarding whey Protein. Does it make you fat? Is it the same as whey gainer?

I am overweight and since I started exercising and dieting I gained another 10 lbs which have not come off yet. The only supplements I use besides vitamins and fiber is whey protein. I take 31g a day w water. I was told I was gaining and not loosing weight bec of the whey protein. Is this true? I used to take Hydroxycut Hardcore but did not really do anything for me so I stopped. Is Glutamine recommended for me?

My goal is to loose fat and build lean muscle. Thanks for any replies and sorry if I am in the wrong thread.
    Who told you that you weren't losing weight because of whey protein?

Also the only way you can lose weight is by knowing how many calories your body needs to maintain that weight. Taking hydroxycut or any other supp isn't going to help you if you are eating a calorie surplus. Post your diet.

bubbah69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question my diet

Originally Posted by Lector606 View Post
    Whey protein is a great thing to use to get your protein intake while trying to lose some fat, because as others have said it doesn't have a lot of calories (if any depending on the pounding) coming from carbs or fat. Double check the label on yours though.

Thanks for asking a polite question. If you post a sample day of your diet I might be able to help you accelerate your weight loss.

Don't need the hydroxycut hardcore.
    im only eating breakfast im not eating lunch but im doing wii fit at night and then drinking 8 oz of milk with 1 cup of whey protein is that good or should i do some thing else?

KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000) KJR246 is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol my bad, i meant pure protein. i'll fix it.
    Bro. Protein can be converted into fat just like any other calorie.

OP. Keep up with the whey. You don't need the Hydroxycut you it's MT and you probably paid a lot to get it so it wouldn't hurt to finish it off. Glutamine isn't necessary though.

johnmac_85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Go running for 45 minutes a day, 50 push ups, 50-70 sit ups and lift weights for approx 30mins a day and no fast food. As simple as that....don't worry about reading all your grocery store labels or what supplements to buy...working out has been done for thousands of years without all this crap. It's simple and cheap.

Foods that helped me:
    Water
    Pasta
    Eggs
    Seafood
    Peanuts
    Last edited by johnmac_85; 01-28-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Life is Better with b00sT staged's Avatar
    staged will become famous soon enough. (+50) staged will become famous soon enough. (+50) staged will become famous soon enough. (+50) staged will become famous soon enough. (+50) staged will become famous soon enough. (+50) staged will become famous soon enough. (+50) staged will become famous soon enough. (+50) staged will become famous soon enough. (+50) staged will become famous soon enough. (+50) staged will become famous soon enough. (+50) staged will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by CHM View Post
    "It is a great source of lowfat/low calorie protein.
    I LOL'd at the low fat protein... Needed a good laugh today... Thanks

nightmaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Protein can make you fat

so many people here are misinformed. Protein is made of Amino Acids.
    At molecular level amino acids = an amine group, a carboxylic acid group and a side chain
    your body will ONLY accept the protein it needs ...any excess protein (toxic for body) is washed out of your system immediately

This happens by breaking down the protein molecule into its parts amine group, a carboxylic acid group and a side chain

Toxic like amine group and other elements are excreted in your urine while carbon chains are used as source of energy and stored as FAT. Our bodies are designed in such a way that we capture maximum amount of energy as possible....thats why our stomach absorbs all the sugar it is provided regardless of the blood sugar content (risk for diabetic person)...and no sugar is excreted in urine for normal person.

SO if your protein intake exceeds your exercise then you will GAIN fat
    if you take protein at the wrong time of the day you will GAIN fat

protein is the key for muscle gain but it can be bad if you don't use it correctly

eric30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hmm, protein can make you fat? That is a first. However, to answer the question, no, whey protein (from my own personal experience) does not make you fat. I would stay away from Muscle Milk...

nightmaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by eric30 View Post
    Hmm, protein can make you fat? That is a first. However, to answer the question, no, whey protein (from my own personal experience) does not make you fat. I would stay away from Muscle Milk...
    It also depends on your body type..if you have high metabolism you wont see the weight gain as much as a person with low metabolism.
    But you have to be doing something wrong to gain fat from protein...if your not getting fat then you are doing it right otherwise you need to change your exercise routine.

eric30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nightmaster View Post
    it also depends on your body type..if you have high metabolism you wont see the weight gain as much as a person with low metabolism.
    But you have to be doing something wrong to gain fat from protein...if your not getting fat then you are doing it right otherwise you need to change your exercise routine.
    x2.

defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by nightmaster View Post
    so many people here are misinformed. Protein is made of Amino Acids.
    At molecular level amino acids = an amine group, a carboxylic acid group and a side chain
    your body will ONLY accept the protein it needs ...any excess protein (toxic for body) is washed out of your system immediately

This happens by breaking down the protein molecule into its parts amine group, a carboxylic acid group and a side chain

Toxic like amine group and other elements are excreted in your urine while carbon chains are used as source of energy and stored as FAT. Our bodies are designed in such a way that we capture maximum amount of energy as possible....thats why our stomach absorbs all the sugar it is provided regardless of the blood sugar content (risk for diabetic person)...and no sugar is excreted in urine for normal person.

SO if your protein intake exceeds your exercise then you will GAIN fat
    if you take protein at the wrong time of the day you will GAIN fat

protein is the key for muscle gain but it can be bad if you don't use it correctly
    /popcorn

@ OP, caloric surplus makes you fat if protein is a contributor to this then yes it will.
    Last edited by defury; 03-13-2010 at 01:04 PM.

RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000) RandyJH is just really nice. (+1000)
    nope. it does not make you fat. whey protein is just pure protein. protein does not turn into fat. carbs and fats can turn into fat if you do not use it as energy, but not protein, no matter what your goal is, loose weight or gain muslce, you need lots of protein, if anything, protein is way more important for people who are trying to lose weight, cause most of those people arent eating right, they think by not eating at all or eat less is making them lose weight, but if anything, it is eating away at their muscles and bonesa and other crap is being stored as fat right away, so you do need to eat. and protein is important, very important.
    Why are you talking out of your ass? Protein can be stored as fat, however it is much more difficult for the body to store excess protein as fat. If you look at the entire process is goes through, it does take some time.

Originally Posted by CHM View Post
    NO! Whey protein is great for weightloss. It is a great source of lowfat/low calorie protein. Glutamine is helpful for cutting, as it helps preserve muscle. I don't beleive it has any fat-loss properties though.
    Does it? Or are you just regurgitating something you read in a muscle and fitness magazine. There really isn't any sound evidence that glutamine has any effect on body comp.
    Just livin' the dream...

Make me lift heavy! My workout journal! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=541721083#post541721083

.aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    rofl y does this thread have only 20+ replies and yet 15,000 views??

FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There are calories in protein.
    You need to take in less calories than your body burns.
    PRs - Sq / B / D / Total
    Gym - 425 / 255 / 463 / -
    Meet - 413 / 248 / 463 / 1124 @ 220
    Meet - 391 / 242 / 468 / 1102 @ 181

defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000) defury is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by .aeterna View Post
    rofl y does this thread have only 20+ replies and yet 15,000 views??
    Because its from 2007

msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by defury View Post
    Because its from 2007
    Strong bump.. Looks like they didn't know protein could be converted to fat back in those primitive, archaic times.
    "Look at yourself in the mirror each morning before you go to the gym; that's the guy you want to beat every time."
    Bench: 5x235
    Squat: 5x275
    Deadlift: 5x315
    ***Gettingitdun17 "You don't bench 245" crew***