Sooner209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking for a lean muscle/fat burning workout program

I have been working out for about 1.5 years now with some success. I have lost thirty pounds (going from 238-208) but I'm still not where I want to be. I have hit a wall. I can see the definition on my body, but I still need to lost 10-15 pounds of fat. I have no structure to my workout. I just go in and do whatever I feel that day.

My workout consists of:

I run for 30 minutes, do chest/arms

run 30 minutes, do back/shoulders

run 30 minutes, do legs

run 30 minutes

day off

If there are any suggestions as to a workout program that will help me lose the last ten pounds and build lean muscle, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Sooner209; 04-04-2004 at 07:23 PM.

Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    WEight training isn't really an effective fat burning exercise. You can build muscle and raise metabolism, but actually burning and losing fat is from cardio and diet.

To build muscle, start with these programs...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hreadid=143006

invast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Weight training is actually a very good way to burn fat. But also diet is VERY important. Remember to lose
    fat you need to be burning more calories than you intake. First start by organizing your workout more, just
    "go in and do whatever I feel that day" won't work as well or as balanced as a structured weight training
    week. Also treadmill time is good, but diet and any sort of hard exercise is the key. Good Luck.

Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Kraken has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally posted by invast
    Weight training is actually a very good way to burn fat.
    Please explain...

you burn alot of calories when you do intense lifting...
    I'm not talking about spot training or anything, that is complete bull****

Any structured workout suggestions? I run 30 min. 5 days a week, but I need a good weight lifting workout. Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by invast
    you burn alot of calories when you do intense lifting...
    I'm not talking about spot training or anything, that is complete bull****
    The point I wanted to make is that you burn cals when lifting, but it takes alot to actually burn fat. Even if you could manage to get your heart rate up enough and keep moving hard enough to burn fat, it would cause lactic build up in your muscles too fast and would be catabolic.

BOSS-2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First, there is a problem with having no structure to your workout, when you hit a wall, how do you know what to change, manipulate, etc. unless you know what you've been doing. I'm a big fan of keeping documentation of your workouts.

This said, are you looking for definition or muscle mass?

To start I would recommend weight training before cardio, you'll get less benefits from the weight training if you do it secondary.

Nutrition is very important. As Invast said, you need to burn more than you take in. Counting calories will help you determine what you need to do to lose more. At your weight my guess would be you need to take in about 2,500 calories a day. Make sure you get a gram of protein per pound of body weight in there to help with lifting. If you don't see results after a couple weeks, (results as in a pound or two coming off), drop it another 250-500, so cut to 2250 calories....then 20000 calories (although that seems low to me, and 2500 should do) You need to burn 500 calories more than you take in each day to drop 1 pound a week.

Kraken, weight training is a decent way to burn fat for two reasons

1) The obvious calories expended during weight training

2) As you increase muscle mass, your muscles will burn more calories idle, than otherwise.

That said, obviously Cardio is a much better fat burner than Weight lifting.

Yes I agree Kraken, that is why I said some time on the treadmill is always good, but he needs to start by
    structuring his workout and maintaining a well based diet.

This said, are you looking for definition or muscle mass?

I am looking for definition. I think my diet is the key to my success. I think the cardio is important, I just need a weight lifting program where I can tone up. I think if I can improve my eating habits it will benefit me greatly.

Anybody, have a detailed workout program?

RalCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Read the thread at the top of the forum titled "Doing the Splits", it has a ton of great workouts for everyone, depending on how many days a week you want to hit the gym.

Hort has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hort has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hort has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hort has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hort has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hort has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hort has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hort has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hort has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hort has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hort has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here is mine.

Whole-body splits. Moderate weights, enough that last set is tough to complete. Very important that you only allow 60-75 seconds between ALL sets. Keep the heart rate high. I've lost 45 pounds since last July and reduced body fat from 23% to 13% currently. In total, I have had a net loss of muscle mass but I've gained in some areas, my arms, calves and chest are beyond toning and have added mass. I've lost most on my upper legs, but I've always had strong legs so I had more to lose there.

I've found the order of the excersizes very important to the overall success. If you really push yourself, after the HIIt you should be gassed.

I've been doing this particlur workout for about 2.5 months. I'm looking to change it to something else.

Saturday
    Flat-Bench Dumbbell Press 4 x 8-10
    Dumbbell Press 4 x 8-10
    Triceps Extension 3 x 8-10
    Lat Pulldown 4 x 8-10
    Barbell Curl 3 x 8-10
    Wrist Curl 2 x 10-12
    Squat 4 x 8-10
    Lying Leg Curl 3 x 8-12
    Standing Calf Raise 3 x 10-20
    Reverse Crunch 3 x 15-20
    15 minutes HIIT