plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000) plaskowski2002 is just really nice. (+1000)

smith machine front squats

I just added front squats to my leg routine and figured I would use the Smith machine because I'm new to the movement. How good is this exercise and once I get the movement down should I leave the Smith machine and start working in the squat rack with the free weights? Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Paul

DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    well if you've done free weight squats its basically the same but you wont be able to do as much weight, go as deep, and you hold the bar in front.

skip the smith machine and go right to the squat rack, assuming you can lift a 45bar use the bar to pract the front squat and slowly add and ramp up the weight until you feel comfortable with your form

the only way to truely practice and get down the form of any free weight variation of a squat is to do one
    Last edited by akaswolebd; 04-28-2007 at 06:38 PM.

Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000)
    agreed with the above poster...no need to learn the movement twice. Start now with the free weight version.

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do them after i do back squats and I feel that the smith machine helps me isolate my quads and glutes and I can go really low without the balance issue. i also train alone though.
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DBee has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by djansen View Post
    I do them after i do back squats and I feel that the smith machine helps me isolate my quads and glutes and I can go really low without the balance issue. i also train alone though.

In any movement that a human performs, almost never are the same muscles or patterns of movement replicated. This is obviously not new to machine training, but with the Smith Machine this becomes even more complicated. A squatting movement is rather complex, especially considering the variations that are available. Even though the bar does not look as though it moves but up and down, all the joints are revolving and this simple movement is not simple. The Smith Machine locks into a very unnatural movement pattern which has the potential to stress inappropriate structures and not train the body in various planes.

How is this fixed? Really easily, just do the free weight equivalent. If you are worried about getting pinned then you have two options. Work within a power rack in which you can set the bars to help you if you do get stuck, secondly, don't work till failure. As I have stated on numerous occassions you do not need to train to failure to have phenomenal success in the gym. In fact, many would benefit from not training to failure for the majority of their workouts.
    ^^^

smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000) smitsky is a name known to all. (+5000)

Stay Away From Smith

Hi. I am going to respectfully agree with the other posters here and suggest that - as a general rule - one should steer clear of the Smith Machine for any kind of Squat.

Here's a great article:

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/sh...&postcount=825

Here is the info from the article re: Smith machine Squats:

Certain misinformed and so-called ?personal trainers? will have people squat in a smith machine, which is, quite simply, an idea both hideous and destructive. This is often done under the misguided ?squat this way until you are strong enough to perform a regular squat? premise. Even if one overlooks the obvious fact that it is better to learn to do something right than build bad habits from the start, there are numerous other factors to be considered. The smith machine stabilizes the bar for the lifter, which does not teach the skill of balancing the bar, balance being important to any athlete, as well as the fact that free weight squatting strengthens the synergists which goes a long way to preventing injuries. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and the smith machine leaves far too many weak links. To say nothing of the fact that free weights provide a greater transfer of functional strength than machines. (23)Furthermore, the bar moves straight up and down, and very few people squat in this manner, which means that the smith machine does not fit a lifters optimal strength curve. (24) The smith machine also requires that the lifter either squats with his torso much closer to vertical than would be done with a real squat, which mechanically decreases the involvement of both the spinal erectors and the hamstrings. While this would be fine if it was done by the lifters muscular control, when the smith machine does this it is disadvantageous to the lifter by virtue of decreasing the ability of the hamstrings to protect the knee joint. Another mistake made, aside from simply using it in the first place, is allow the knees to drift forward over the toes, the chance of which is increased by the smith machine. As was previously mentioned, this greatly increases the shearing force on the knees. This from a device touted by the ignorant as ?safe.?
    This thing didn't copy too well... the question marks should be interpreted as quotation marks.
    Bench (raw): 325 lbs. X 1
    Incline Bench Press (raw): 225 lbs. X 8
    Squat (single ply): 355 lbs. X 3
    Deadlift (single ply): 441 lbs. X 1
    Powerlifting Total (single ply): 1116 lbs.
    Barbell Curl: 140 lbs. X 1
    Standing Military Press: 190 lbs. X 1
    Weighted Dips: BW + 110 lbs. X 3
    Weighted Pullups: BW + 90 lbs. X 1

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by akaswolebd View Post
    well if you've done free weight squats its basically the same but you wont be able to do as much weight, go as deep, and you hold the bar in front.

I disagee with the bolded portion of the statement above. Other than that, swolebd and the others are right, IMO. Don't use the Smith as "training wheels" for a real squat.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    thanks for posting some info on the smith machine i will try the free weight.
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Lencho View Post
    I disagee with the bolded portion of the statement above. Other than that, swolebd and the others are right, IMO. Don't use the Smith as "training wheels" for a real squat.
    Agreed. It doesn't even make for a very good training wheel. The first time you try real front squats, you won't have a clue how to do them.

DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000) DallasLynx is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with these guys. The Smith machine doesn't teach you to squat or front squat. It teaches you to squat in the smith machine.

And for the record I think learning balance on a front squat is easier than on a back squat.

cornpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cornpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cornpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cornpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cornpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cornpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The squat is such a good core workout, the smith machine will limit you to only working your legs because there is no balance involved, best to use the squat rack because it requires balance and you need to have a strong core, it is very important.

cap10raygun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cap10raygun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cap10raygun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cap10raygun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cap10raygun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cap10raygun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cap10raygun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cap10raygun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cap10raygun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cap10raygun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cap10raygun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by akaswolebd View Post
    skip the smith machine and go right to the squat rack, assuming you can lift a 45bar use the bar to pract the front squat and slowly add and ramp up the weight until you feel comfortable with your form
    Yup practice with the bar to help with your form. Hell, use 10lb plates on both sides if you have to. I've never tried doing smith squats though because it looks kind of weird and uncomfortable.

Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The argument for using a smitch machine as opposed to freeweights usually falls between the lines of "form" and "which is better for growth".

Without a doubt freeweights have been proven to be more efficient in terms of utilizing muscle fibres. With machines you're locked into a certain pattern of movement, and a compound movement such as squats shouldn't really take place on a smitch machine. It puts the body in a very unnatural position which is likely to lead to injuries. Above all, it is simply not as effective as the freeweight version.

I would start on a light weight and perfect my form on the freeweight version.
    Founder of DPA Fitness & Author of The Weight Training Antidote.
    My Free E-book - The Weight Training Antidote: http://dpafitness.com/the-weight-training-antidote