AFK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why not just use micellar casein/muscle milk INSTEAD of downing milk/cottage cheese?

This thread is an offshoot of an earlier of mine.

OK, so this is what I'm understanding; correct me if I'm wrong:

* Casein/milk protein powders are indeed slow absorbing just like naturally occurring casein found in milk/cottage cheese (as "confirmed" in this article).

If this is false, and casein/milk protein powder is not slow absorbing, why in the world would one invest in casein or milk protein powders?

If the above is true, and casein/milk protein powders are indeed slow absorbing like naturally occurring casein found in milk/cottage cheese, then is it reasonable to guess that milk/cottage cheese themselves are considerably cheaper than casein/milk protein powders (when compared by price per milligram of protein, as I have not went to the grocery store to do a comparison check), hence the general preference among bodybuilders to stick to milk/cottage cheese instead of the powder form? Or perhaps the absorption rate of powder form is still not slow enough?

Thanks for the links and explanation in my earlier post, but I'm sure some other people and myself are still not quite sure what the deal is. As I currently see fit, it only makes sense to buy casein in powder form instead of milk/cottage cheese because of the much smaller required volumes (given comparable or even cheaper pricing per milligram).

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by AFK; 03-31-2004 at 09:05 AM.

Grey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm no expert, but I always prefer real food when I can get it. I consider things like powders a supplement to food rather than a replacement.

American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) American Hunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    $$$

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by American Hunk
    $$$
    exactly

Well, that's interesting because whey protein is the cheapest form of protein, even among food, e.g. eggs & tuna.

GymRatFromMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) GymRatFromMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) GymRatFromMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) GymRatFromMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) GymRatFromMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) GymRatFromMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) GymRatFromMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) GymRatFromMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) GymRatFromMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) GymRatFromMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) GymRatFromMS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Why even eat cottage cheese and milk in the same sitting? Aren't they the same thing just in different forms??

Grey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by AFK
    Well, that's interesting because whey protein is the cheapest form of protein, even among food, e.g. eggs & tuna.
    Whey is a fast acting protein. His original post was about slow acting proteins.

Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by GymRatFromMS
    Why even eat cottage cheese and milk in the same sitting? Aren't they the same thing just in different forms??
    Milk has more carbs and less protein than cottage cheese.
    Don't Support Companies that are suing me!!

Lonny says
    "Supplement your weakness"

Originally posted by Grey
    Whey is a fast acting protein. His original post was about slow acting proteins.
    Actually, that was my post. And yes, whey is a fast acting protein - I was just noting how another form of protein, and in this case, a fast acting one, could be most cheapest in powder form, but not so with slow acting ones. I don't know whether if it's the difference in supply & demand, difficulty in processing, or a combination of the two.

axelism has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Last edited by axelism; 04-01-2004 at 02:15 PM.

Originally posted by Lonny
    Milk has more carbs and less protein than cottage cheese.
    Not the milk that I drink, 12g of protein, 3g of carbs

It is 2.50 a half gallon though!

Ragnarok has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ragnarok has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ragnarok has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ragnarok has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ragnarok has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Re: Why not just use micellar casein/muscle milk INSTEAD of downing milk/cottage cheese?

Originally posted by AFK
    This thread is an offshoot of an earlier of mine.

OK, so this is what I'm understanding; correct me if I'm wrong:

* Casein/milk protein powders are indeed slow absorbing just like naturally occurring casein found in milk/cottage cheese (as "confirmed" in this article).

If this is false, and casein/milk protein powder is not slow absorbing, why in the world would one invest in casein or milk protein powders?

If the above is true, and casein/milk protein powders are indeed slow absorbing like naturally occurring casein found in milk/cottage cheese, then is it reasonable to guess that milk/cottage cheese themselves are considerably cheaper than casein/milk protein powders (when compared by price per milligram of protein, as I have not went to the grocery store to do a comparison check), hence the general preference among bodybuilders to stick to milk/cottage cheese instead of the powder form? Or perhaps the absorption rate of powder form is still not slow enough?

Thanks for the links and explanation in my earlier post, but I'm sure some other people and myself are still not quite sure what the deal is. As I currently see fit, it only makes sense to buy casein in powder form instead of milk/cottage cheese because of the much smaller required volumes (given comparable or even cheaper pricing per milligram).

Thanks in advance.
    I haven't done a price check either, but I cannot sleep on a full gut. I have to have a nearly empty stomach to sleep. I do not want a wad of cottage cheese sitting in my stomach.

Personally I use the casein P.M. because of the convenience (doesn't spoil in a week), and because it takes up less volume, or so it seems. I can still sleep.

I don't think the price comparison would be much different if you figure in the fact that you can leave a 2 lb tub of casein on your shelf for a long time, but with the cottage cheese/milk, it goes bad (around here it seems like it's good for about a week), all those inconvenient trips to the store add up.

I think the casein powder is a better deal by far. IMO.

It seems to me that, in the long run, the minute difference between "real food" and protein powder, used as a night-formula will make NO difference. I sometimes wonder why protein requirements are so ridiculously high (at least for natural bb'ers), since about 10-15 lbs of muscle a year is about as good as you can do.
    Last edited by Ragnarok; 04-01-2004 at 02:27 PM.

Originally posted by axelism
    ??????????

ironhead31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cottage Cheese maybe good for you but it's taste does NOTHING for me! I tried it for the first time yesterday,I want no part of it.ever again! Blahhh!!

Originally posted by ironhead31
    Cottage Cheese maybe good for you but it's taste does NOTHING for me! I tried it for the first time yesterday,I want no part of it.ever again! Blahhh!!
    This is why the dark side is infinitely better.

Originally posted by ironhead31
    I hear ya bro on CC, I hate it by itself HOWEVER if you mix it with
    salsa you'll think CC in a whole new way. I love it with Salsa.

ironhead31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by axelism
    I hear ya bro on CC, I hate it by itself HOWEVER if you mix it with
    salsa you'll think CC in a whole new way. I love it with Salsa.
    Yea,I'll try that tonight.I have a whole container that I was about to throw away.I really want to try it because I know that it is a great source of protein,so we'll see how it goes.

rugger48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I dont post alot but I like to read alot of stuff here and learn. This is a nice recipe for nightly cottage cheese feeding I came up with from reading the forums here. yes beleive it or not somebody does just read and learns and shuts up.

try
    1 package of cottage cheese selects(I think thats the name) you know the little container of cottage cheese in 1 side and fruit in the other
    3/4 or 1 cup regular 2% cottage cheese
    1 scoop of ON's chocolate whey
    Mix in a bowl

I think its taste is pretty good
    Just try it once until you judge