Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Quarterbum is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit Quarterbum's BodySpace

Squat starting weight?

Ok im about to tackle squats for the first time in my workout career and im wondering what I should start out at weight wise? I have pretty muscular legs and have been doing leg presses for a long time. Anyone have any good suggestions on what type of weight i should start at out with squats and how many sets/reps i should do. I was doing 4 sets of 12 reps at 225-250 on the leg press and i was doing those pretty easily, so what weight do you guys suggest i start at out with squats?

BodyPoints: 1137
    BoxSquat has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BoxSquat has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BoxSquat has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BoxSquat has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BoxSquat has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BoxSquat has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BoxSquat has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BoxSquat has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BoxSquat has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BoxSquat has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) BoxSquat has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit BoxSquat's BodySpace
    The bar

Seriously. Just start with the bar and work your way up. Squats are not something you want to rush with. Better to use a weight that's too light than on that's too heavy

Good luck, get ready for gains

Quarterbum is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit Quarterbum's BodySpace
    ok i'll try it, what so you suggest set/rep wise?

BodyPoints: 35
    hyp3r3xt3nsion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit hyp3r3xt3nsion's BodySpace
    just the bar. work on your form- sitting down and back, not down and forward.

BodyPoints: 990
    firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit firstmark's BodySpace
    When doing squats for the first time you have to decide if you wish to do them ass to the floor or just to some arbitrary point you call parallel. I would suggest some sort of power rack/support structure to protect you should you fail with the weight on your back. Otherwise you have to do an awkward dumping of the weight.

I suggest trying bodyweight squats all the way down ass to the floor first. See how many you can do. Then work up to the bar on your back or dumbells in each hand depending on what you feel you can perform safely. If you plan to lift at home I would suggest practicing how you will get rid of the weight should you fail if you don't have a power rack/support structure or spotters to help.
    Front squats are an option too if you have no squat racks or related structures to help you out when you fail.
    MyMuscles.com

Features weight lifting terminology, equipment info, essays, and links.

MiloMan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MiloMan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MiloMan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MiloMan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MiloMan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MiloMan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MiloMan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MiloMan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MiloMan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MiloMan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MiloMan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally posted by firstmark
    I suggest trying bodyweight squats all the way down ass to the floor first.
    More sensibly, as far down as you can go while still keeping good form.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) firstmark has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If a person can't do a bodyweight squat all the way down to the floor they perhaps have some structural or muscular problems they need to find out about.
    Its a natural movement and with no weight so if someone can't do it with good form then they might also have trouble walking with good form too.
    MyMuscles.com

TrudyV is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anything below parallel is dangerous.

Do one set of twenty reps.

kxtreme is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i started with 135 about couple months ago, im at 245 now repping it

2 victor goes spoils THe WeapoN's Avatar
    Stats: 5'11", 177 lbs
    BodyPoints: 4203
    THe WeapoN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) THe WeapoN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) THe WeapoN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) THe WeapoN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) THe WeapoN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) THe WeapoN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) THe WeapoN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) THe WeapoN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) THe WeapoN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) THe WeapoN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) THe WeapoN has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit THe WeapoN's BodySpace
    bump to the ones that said use the bar, rep range depends on what works best for you i use 6-8
    we aim for one thing, to be perfect, yet we will never be.

Stats: 5'9", 200 lbs
    BodyPoints: 7366
    JC-orginalbdass has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JC-orginalbdass has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JC-orginalbdass has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JC-orginalbdass has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JC-orginalbdass has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JC-orginalbdass has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JC-orginalbdass has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JC-orginalbdass has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JC-orginalbdass has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JC-orginalbdass has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JC-orginalbdass has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit JC-orginalbdass's BodySpace
    Sometimes it's hard to use just the bar (as far as form and balance). I find it easier to throw a couple 10s or 25s on the bar to start out.
    IMHO

If squats done below parallel are dangerous then I guess humans were not meant to squat down low to the ground. I wonder how humans were able to do this to help them hunt and survive. Running is dangerous too as is crossing the street. With an appropriate weight and a healthy frame even "dangerous" movements such as running, and squatting can be beneficial.
    I imagine more people get hurt loading the bar extra heavy for squats to parallel which they then fail at and come all the way down to the ground forcefully on.
    MyMuscles.com

BodyPoints: 35
    hyp3r3xt3nsion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit hyp3r3xt3nsion's BodySpace
    Originally posted by TrudyV
    Anything below parallel is dangerous.

Do one set of twenty reps.

um, no

tbomb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tbomb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tbomb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tbomb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tbomb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tbomb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tbomb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tbomb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tbomb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tbomb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tbomb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit tbomb's BodySpace
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    um, no
    0wned

i agree on just using the bar. the first time i did squats, i did like 5 sets just with the bar to get used to them. the next time i did them (the following week) i think i added 50 lbs to the bar, and kept going up very slowly. you wanna get yourself in a groove of proper form before you load on the weight.
    i represent angry, gun-toting, meat-eating ****ing people!