Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

deadlift- bar slips out of hands

when doing deadlifts the bar keeps slipping out of my hands.

I got some lifting straps last week and the bar still began to slip out of my hands after 5 reps.

Does this happen to anyone else? I expect im going to have to get some better gloves, otherwise i cannot do deadlifts to my full potential.

brayndrayn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Happened to me too, but straps helped me out, the problem is the weight you need to train with is to heavy for your hands alone to hold, gotta strap up...

I have also seen some people use a small (lets see if I can describe this) metal thing kind of like a pipe cut in half, it was the same size as the bar and you put it right under the bar, i assume it must be for just this type of problem
    Last edited by brayndrayn; 03-29-2004 at 07:18 AM.
    Shut Up & Train

Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by brayndrayn
    Happened to me too, but straps helped me out, the problem is the weight you need to train with is to heavy for your hands alone to hold, gotta strap up...

I have also seen some people use a small (lets see if I can describe this) metal thing kind of like a pipe cut in half, it was the same size as the bar and you put it right under the bar, i assume it must be for just this type of problem
    im afraid i dont have a clue what you mean lol.

is this pipe thing used to grip the bar better, or is it placed on the floor in case the bar does slip out of your hands, and it will stop it crashing into the ground?

Lee, sorry, the pipe goes under the bar (not on the floor) & I think it fits into a glove but I could be wrong...

Picture it like this , if you stand with your palms open and facing away from you, in the middle of your palm's would be this device(s), you slip the device under the bar and close your hand around it.

The whole thing is probably 4 inches long, one in each hand,just from looking at it, i would guess it holds the bar and takes most of the weight off of your fingers, I vaguely remember a glove and would assume it may fit around your wrist thereby allowing you to hold most of the weight with your wrist/arms rather than with your hand itself
    Last edited by brayndrayn; 03-29-2004 at 07:44 AM.
    Shut Up & Train

Lee, sorry, the pipe goes under the bar (not on the floor) & I think it fits into a glove but I could be wrong...

Picture it like this , if you stand with your palms open and facing away from you, in the middle of your palm's would be this device(s), you slip the device under the bar and close your hand around it.

The whole thing is probably 4 inches long, one in each hand
    ahh. i see what you mean now. I have never seen those but i'll look out for some. Anything to keep that bar in my hands, lol.

Thanks for replying.

BeaGleDU has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BeaGleDU has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BeaGleDU has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BeaGleDU has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BeaGleDU has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BeaGleDU has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BeaGleDU has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BeaGleDU has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BeaGleDU has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BeaGleDU has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BeaGleDU has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I had the same problem. I tried Chalk and it actually helped me alot. The bar will still slip, but where I usually lost grip after 3 reps I can get at least 6 now.
    Give it a try.

nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    an alternating grip (1 over, 1 underhand) usually helps with slippage.

Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've NEVER EVER felt comfortable using the under/over hand grip...is it just me??

For grip strength, i think u just have to get used to it over time...

I've been one arm rowing 85 and 90lb DB's for a while now....
    I've been doing shrugs w/ 90's and up....
    I've been doing weighted pullups and chin ups w/ 30-40 extra lbs....
    etc...

Man, i can walk around holding 120lb DB's for at least 2 minutes....
    And this is THUMBLESS grip, w/ just a piece of Black tape over the inside of the knuckles, and middle/index finger taped together...

I can now dead about 255lbs (weak legs, *sniff*.)...For 2 reps or so...235 for 4....with NO grip issues...THUMBLESS!

EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey Lee_5,

I also use the alternating grip, and that seems to help me too.

Also, when you are using the straps, make sure you get them really wrapped tight around the bar.

Wrapping the straps around the bar is sort of an aquired skill. It takes a little bit of practice to really get it down, especially by yourself. Once you get one hand strapped on, it takes some doing to get the other hand strapped in really good. That's where the practice really comes in.

Once I have my straps around the bar, I do a movement similar to "rev'ing" a motorcylce throttle with my hand on the bar to tighten the straps even more. This technique really helps me.

- EME

EliteBSU is a name known to all. (+5000) EliteBSU is a name known to all. (+5000) EliteBSU is a name known to all. (+5000) EliteBSU is a name known to all. (+5000) EliteBSU is a name known to all. (+5000) EliteBSU is a name known to all. (+5000) EliteBSU is a name known to all. (+5000) EliteBSU is a name known to all. (+5000) EliteBSU is a name known to all. (+5000) EliteBSU is a name known to all. (+5000) EliteBSU is a name known to all. (+5000)
    chalk and grip strngth
    i can hardly hold the bar when my hands are sweaty, chalk helps

Elite

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    -work your suport grip w/ static holds

-chalk

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Does anyone know how much of an imbalance the alternating grip will cause? I mean, significant? Do you switch hands at all?
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PROSA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Big Nes
    I've NEVER EVER felt comfortable using the under/over hand grip...is it just me??
    No. I've tried using it, and it feels extremely awkward.

POED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by dookie1481
    Does anyone know how much of an imbalance the alternating grip will cause? I mean, significant? Do you switch hands at all?
    I use left under and right over. I've never switched.

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try a hook grip. You put your thumb in between your fingers and the bar instead of next to your fingers.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Heisman
    Try a hook grip. You put your thumb in between your fingers and the bar instead of next to your fingers.
    i still have no idea how people manage that...tried it once and it really hurt :/

BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000)
    straps only make the problem worse. Get chalk instead of gloves and use that.

Also work on your grip strength with things like static holds, plier lifting, and farmers walks.
    "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac." -Henry Kissinger

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster . . . for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah, using straps will not allow you to develop your grip strength.
    Link to my journal.....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=359604

Stats=currently injured ankle

best lifts at 180

bench 225/10 275/2
    Deadlift 405/5 455/1
    Full oly style Squat 325 w/belt

Registered User Need 2Whey more's Avatar
    Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have a solution! Now it may seem weird but try it and it won't cost you much money and it works for almost all your exercises.

Just buy a regular mouse pad...Yes the one for your mouse. Try looking for the cheapest one cause that's the one you want because all it has is this cheap fabric on it which can be peeled off.
    You can cut the black spongy material into palm size circles or rectangles to suit your preferance. It works amazing, especially for curls, deadlifts, pullups, you name it any where you need grip confort.

Give it a try, best luck on your lifts!
    Jeremiah 29:13

Everyone has all the answer's, except when it comes to their own life!

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by Heisman
    Yeah, my hands are WAY too small to hook.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

RalCT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by dookie1481
    I switch my hands every week, when I write down my lifts for the day, I just put "left over" or "right over" so the next week I know to switch.

-TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000)
    how does it slip using straps?

theq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have always used left overhand and right underhand, never felt awkward, feels natural
    DOB 27/10/1974
    wt 225lbs goal below 200 ht 6.1"
    bench 70kg(155lbs) goal ??
    squat 85kg(187lbs) goal??
    deadlift 90kg(198)>95kgx4 207lbs goal??
    i'm always open to advice

MY LOG:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118883831

How can you not eventually go to straps or some kind of support?

I mean eventually no matter how strong your grip is wont you eventually get to a weight that you cannot hold in your hands?

Like with shrugs, I am doing 225 to a side on the hammer strength machine, no way with just hands could I hold 450 pounds,without the straps I would be limited on how much I could lift
    Last edited by brayndrayn; 04-04-2004 at 12:01 PM.
    Shut Up & Train

good point i guess i will need lifting straps eventually as i progress up the weight
    DOB 27/10/1974

MY LOG:

BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000)

I mean eventually no matter how strong your grip is wont you eventually get to a weight that you cannot hold in your hands?

Like with shrugs, I am doing 225 to a side on the hammer strength machine, no way with just hands could I hold 450 pounds,without the straps I would be limited on how much I could lift
    If you develop your grip then it will give out much later and you'll end up being not able to deadlift the weight instead of having the strength to be able to but you can't hang onto the bar.

The way you don't go to straps for some kinda of support is to strengthen your grip enough so that you don't need to. This is not that hard of goal to accomplish if you work towards achieving it.

The reason you can't hang onto 450 is because your grip is not strong enough. Holding onto 450 is in no way an impossible feat, there are plently of lifters who can hold onto to a 450 lb. barbell.

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster . . . for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by theq
    good point i guess i will need lifting straps eventually as i progress up the weight
    NO! You won't need straps, you will only need straps if you choose to neglect your weakness rather than trying to improve it! Your grip strength (in this instance being able to hold onto a barbell) will progress much faster than your deadlift, if you work at it.

Originally posted by BigKazWSM747
    NO! You won't need straps, you will only need straps if you choose to neglect your weakness rather than trying to improve it! Your grip strength (in this instance being able to hold onto a barbell) will progress much faster than your deadlift, if you work at it.
    thanks for advice i will work on grip , also i think chalk helps
    DOB 27/10/1974

MY LOG:

I would ask this, since you are not working on your grip while doing deadlifts why not use straps?

The only time I would worry about my grip being weak is an excersize where grip would build a muscle
    Shut Up & Train

Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Brinn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

DLs done in competition are done without straps. So it's not whether or not it's possible. It's whether or not you put the work in to develop your grip.