magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Best Post-cardio meal for fat loss

I was wondering what the best meal (carb/protein/fat ratio) is after a 30 minute moderately intense (75-80% heart rate zone) cardio session? The main goal is fat loss.
    So far I've heard a protein/fat combination is best, but I've also read that complex carbs like oatmeal and some protein with little fat is good? Any suggestions?

meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by magda3227 View Post
    I was wondering what the best meal (carb/protein/fat ratio) is after a 30 minute moderately intense (75-80% heart rate zone) cardio session? The main goal is fat loss.
    So far I've heard a protein/fat combination is best, but I've also read that complex carbs like oatmeal and some protein with little fat is good? Any suggestions?
    Ive done some experimentation and found that a complex carb like oats with some protein and little fat is the best way to go for me , but im somewhat of an endurance athlete so carbs are no biggy as I burn them easily. If your cardio load is light then id lean towards higher protein..
    When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee, thats a moray.

mcneely011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcneely011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcneely011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcneely011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcneely011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcneely011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcneely011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcneely011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcneely011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcneely011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcneely011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by magda3227 View Post
    after a workout, i would stick to just carbs and protein and try to limit the fat content as much as possible. However, your fat loss will mostly relate to the other 23 hours of the day besides your workout.
    testicularity is the last vanguard of civilization; don't let your balls go the way of the appendix

lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The best weightloss I achieved was through having whey (and a good shot of caffeine for energy - i train at 5am, mad I know) pre (HIIT) workout and then only liquid protein supplements (Ice Whey) and complex carbs (oats, bran-plus and a banana) immediately post workout.

landon3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) landon3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) landon3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) landon3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) landon3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) landon3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) landon3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) landon3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) landon3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) landon3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) landon3 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    im a big fan of the oats+banana+whey theory.

corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    why give yourself carbs post cardio?
    your body is looking for fuel, and if you feed it carbs, itll use those before it burns fat as fuel

thats why i always thought keto was such a genius diet..

the 17year old on baby faced bbers was basically on keto
    GOAL: BUILD LEAN MASS
    SUPPLEMENTS: whey protein & creatine mono
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html - exercises
    http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php - food
    http://www.nutritiondata.com - calorie counter
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956 - clean bulking
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=292tc2 - MY MOTIVATION

abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by corple View Post
    your body is looking for fuel, and if you feed it carbs, itll use those before it burns fat as fuel

carbs post workout help replenish glycogen storages so you have enough energy to work out next time. (more important for endurance athletes though)
    eating out? a nutritional guide to popular restaurants and fast food!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2920231

the best ways to prepare your oatmeal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108636081

Dublo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dublo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dublo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dublo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dublo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dublo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dublo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dublo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dublo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dublo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dublo will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Mobilized fat is a very poor energy source. Your body needs something else to sustain energy.
    "It seems, in fact, as though the second half of a man's life is made up of nothing, but the habits he has accumulated during the first half."
    - Dostoevsky.

Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) Foreigner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm very curious about this as well.

Pre-workout, can I have a Banna? Or should I just stick to whey and water? Do you want a carbohydrate before cardio? I'm looking to maximize fat burning, not muscle.

Also, Post-workout. Do you want a carbohydrate? I thought your body just needs protien to retain muscle not carbohydrates since it's still burning fat? Is this true?

I hope many people chime in!
    Last edited by Foreigner; 04-27-2007 at 08:59 PM.

abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000) abergirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    I read this from a website:

12 DO CARDIO AT THE RIGHT TIME

>> Cardio exerts two benefits: it burns calories and affects hormone levels in the body. Specifically, cardio helps raise levels of norepinephrine. Yet when you do cardio makes a big difference in how your body handles the hormonal changes. Cardio on an empty stomach allows norepinephrine to readily target fat cells, which triggers maximal fat-burning. On the flip side, if you eat before doing cardio, and particularly if you eat carbs, the fat-blocking hormone insulin rises, making your body less effective at burning fat.

Do This: To ensure that your body is in optimal fat-burning mode, do 30-60 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning before breakfast 4-6 days per week. Feel free, however, to drink your morning coffee (without cream or sugar) and take 6-10 grams of mixed amino acids or a small amount of whey protein powder mixed in water beforehand. The caffeine will help you burn more fat, as will the amino acids (whether from a supplement or whey protein), as research from Kanazawa University in Japan has found. The aminos will also help prevent muscle breakdown during cardio. M&F
    eating out? a nutritional guide to popular restaurants and fast food!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2920231

the best ways to prepare your oatmeal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108636081

lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lupinecat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Keto does work - but if you want to retain muscle you need to feed yourself some complex carbs and protein even after just a cardio workout. Even during cardio, especially hiit, you are tearing muscle. Also, as I understand the carbs help the protein transport into the muscles. I could be wrong. It also sets up/revs your metabolism for the rest of the day.

After this initial carb hit I would lay off the carbs for the rest of the day though - but not too much. Just eat vegies instead of grains etc. If you're wanting to shed weight.

*Cat steps down off her soapbox* lol!

meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) meanmo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lupinecat View Post
    Keto does work - but if you want to retain muscle you need to feed yourself some complex carbs and protein even after just a cardio workout. Even during cardio, especially hiit, you are tearing muscle. Also, as I understand the carbs help the protein transport into the muscles. I could be wrong. It also sets up/revs your metabolism for the rest of the day.

After this initial carb hit I would lay off the carbs for the rest of the day though - but not too much. Just eat vegies instead of grains etc. If you're wanting to shed weight.

*Cat steps down off her soapbox* lol!

carbs/sugars start insulin response which shuttles protein to the muscle. You should have carbs post workout to optimize anabolism to the muscle immediately after lifting if possible
    When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee, thats a moray.

magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magda3227 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I figured the oats and whey was the best way to go. It also tastes the best. ha.
    I know it sounds stupid, but I heard eating fruit while trying to lose fat isn't the best option, so I decided to cut out fruit for now. I used to eat half a can of tuna with an apple after cardio. Any input on eating fruit while losing fat?

i_bleed_texan
    Originally Posted by abergirl View Post
    I read this from a website:
    That's exactly what I do. It works.

girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Magda,
    May i ask, what does your daily menu look like now?
    ------------------------

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
    Matthew 22:36-40