Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wirefree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cardio: Swimming vs Running

Hello there,

I'd like to begin swimming in the summers and replace it as my preferred cardio workout.

With time & length feeding into the equation, how many laps do I need to do in order to burn an equal amount of calories as running? So, 230 calories in 20 minutes on the treadmill translates to how many laps in the pool in a 25m pool?

Would appreciate thoughtful answers.

Best,

wirefree

wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by wirefree View Post
    Hello there,

I'd like to begin swimming in the summers and replace it as my preferred cardio workout.

With time & length feeding into the equation, how many laps do I need to do in order to burn an equal amount of calories as running? So, 230 calories in 20 minutes on the treadmill translates to how many laps in the pool in a 25m pool?

Would appreciate thoughtful answers.

Best,

wirefree

Whoah, I have noooo idea the answer here. I do laps for 45 minutes, it would be nice to know how many calories i'm really burning.
    "Those giraffes you sold me, they won't mate. They just walk around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer giraffes. I want my money back."

#le journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2539051

Registered User WiliamBurkowitz's Avatar
    WiliamBurkowitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WiliamBurkowitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WiliamBurkowitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WiliamBurkowitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WiliamBurkowitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WiliamBurkowitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WiliamBurkowitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WiliamBurkowitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WiliamBurkowitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WiliamBurkowitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WiliamBurkowitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    well, straight up swimming will make you look liek a dolphin.

Do you want to look like a bodybuilder or a dolphin?
    click clack! salute!

idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I too would also like to know this as I have started swimming on M/W/F and running T/TH/S to get in shape.

Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by wannaBmoy View Post
    Whoah, I have noooo idea the answer here. I do laps for 45 minutes, it would be nice to know how many calories i'm really burning.
    i got u!

i learned this in school other day

calories burner per minute:
    walking:5.2
    running:14.1
    biking:9.6

ok i cant find swimming. look at this thread and find it

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2424691

wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wannaBmoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Selode5 View Post
    i got u!

i learned this in school other day

calories burner per minute:
    walking:5.2
    running:14.1
    biking:9.6

ok i cant find swimming. look at this thread and find it

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2424691

Negged for lying
    "Those giraffes you sold me, they won't mate. They just walk around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer giraffes. I want my money back."

Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Selode5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Negged for lying
    hey im not lying!

take the actual time to read the thread!

hey im not lying!

take the actual time to read the thread!
    What am I in high school?

Negged for making me read

What am I in high school?

Negged for making me read
    no! but i am in hi skool so i read for u

swimming laps, freestyle, fast, vigorous effort water activities

swimming laps, freestyle, slow, moderate or light effort water activities

swimming, backstroke, general water activities

swimming, breaststroke, general water activities

swimming, butterfly, general water activities

this is according to 169 lbs for 45 min

Repped for doing all that work for me

Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

this information actually looks very inaccurate

j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The information does look acurate. And of course as with all excersise body weight, height and compostition will affect actual energy output. A world class swimmer might burn 20-50 % LESS calories than me for the same distance. Just use a calorie calculator like fitday or something.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/burned/...us_effort.html
    Your only a work in progress if your making progress.

"And then one day it became clear to me all of this is a gift."
    "So I said to myself, 'Self'" (Thanks Granpda for that one.)

j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10) j6-stone is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    On the comparison note. My triathlon coach suggests that the effort of 100 yards freestyle is comparible to 400 yards running or 1 mile biking. As a point of reference the time it takes to do each one is similar given the same effort in each event.

gabsheep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wat motivates you to keep swimming for so long? ha. i can run for lengths but when it comes to swimming, i get bored quickly.. anything to help?
    Shalom
    gabsheep

Originally Posted by gabsheep View Post
    wat motivates you to keep swimming for so long? ha. i can run for lengths but when it comes to swimming, i get bored quickly.. anything to help?
    the hot babes staring at me while I swim . But no, once you get into a groove you just don't want to stop. Kind've like runner's high.

markstar55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markstar55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markstar55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markstar55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markstar55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markstar55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markstar55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markstar55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markstar55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markstar55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markstar55 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yeah that is my problem with swimming. i get so bored. with all other cardio i at least have my ipod to listen to music

race people. find a random person swimming. then go right next to him and swim real fast.

haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think that they are both great. I don't run very often because of shin problems, but swimming has always been good to me.
    NSCA-CSCS and CPT
    Currently Pursuing A Doctor of Physical Therapy Degree

idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idesigner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So what kind of workouts do you guys do when you swim? i normally just do sets of 250m (25m pool), and take 30sec+ breaks inbetween

Originally Posted by haiz69 View Post
    I think that they are both great. I don't run very often because of shin problems, but swimming has always been good to me.
    I'm overpronated, so I get shin splints very easy and it eats my legs for squat day and stuff like that. So swimming has been the best cardio for me so far.

un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) un19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    swimming will get you cut fast.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Play games like see how far and long you can swim under the surface holding your breathe. or throw objects and dive for them.

But don't play Marco polo, it doesn't burn many calories.
    Time To Re-Schedule

the hot babes staring at me while I swim . But no, once you get into a groove you just don't want to stop. Kind've like runner's high.
    haha. it's a private pool so no hot babes.. haha... and i totally agree with the iPod thingy.. Apple would prob make waterproof iPods in the near future..

Thanks for the advise.. will try it..

Do you think it's ok if i run for 20 mins on the treadmill, do about half an hour of weights then swim? i'm in the cutting phase but these days i don't feel like lifting much. perhaps cos i just changed gym and my condo gym can't compare to my previous gym.. but ya, i'm just starting to lose fats now. started dieting.. so it's lots of cardio! ha..

:P
    Shalom
    gabsheep

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I never get runners high
    it's more like runners boredom for me

Klorg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Klorg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Klorg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.h2oaudio.com/

there you go guys haha now you can listen to your ipod while youre swimming

haha. it's a private pool so no hot babes.. haha... and i totally agree with the iPod thingy.. Apple would prob make waterproof iPods in the near future..

Thanks for the advise.. will try it..

Do you think it's ok if i run for 20 mins on the treadmill, do about half an hour of weights then swim? i'm in the cutting phase but these days i don't feel like lifting much. perhaps cos i just changed gym and my condo gym can't compare to my previous gym.. but ya, i'm just starting to lose fats now. started dieting.. so it's lots of cardio! ha..

:P
    If you are running, lifting and swimming all in the same day you better be eating. even if you are cutting that is a lot of caloric expenditure. I would say it is fine to pick any 2 but all three is tough. when I triathlon train I can't lift the same day. I just can't recover that fast.

Originally Posted by j6-stone View Post
    If you are running, lifting and swimming all in the same day you better be eating. even if you are cutting that is a lot of caloric expenditure. I would say it is fine to pick any 2 but all three is tough. when I triathlon train I can't lift the same day. I just can't recover that fast.
    Yup need to eat eat eat

wirefree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Learning:

fitday.com - uses weight, height, age, sex as variables for determination
    bodybuilding.com - uses only weight

Although, their estimates are within 30 calories of each other.

Conclusion:

230cal in 20min on treadmill = 30min swimming laps freestyle/slow/moderate/light effort

Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

Swimming as compared to running:

1) Does not kill your knees
    2) Injury free
    3) Stretches muscles in your whole body well
    4) Trains lungs hardcore
    5) Whole body workout
    6) You do not sweat like a pig (maybe you do but who can notice
    7) Makes you eligible to be a lifeguard - good summer student job
    8) Makes babes on beach envy your butterfly
    9) Keeps down the global warming as you don't heat the air!
    10) is not for girly manz!- only 4 real animalz!

Swimming 4TW!

If you are bored :

1)Stop slacking
    2)Pick up tempo
    3)Vary your workouts (different strokes ,sprints, specialized workouts, underwater swimming , etc)
    4) get waterproof mp3player
    5) Did I say stop slacking?

woah! cool! waterproof iPod case!! haha...

I've started the HIIT with my running. maybe i'll try with swimming!
    Shalom
    gabsheep