warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000) warchild is just really nice. (+1000)

5x5 and percentage

when doing the 5x5 should i start with 85% of my max or what, also do i go heavy on all 5 sets

HitManSE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    85% can be done, but its pretty though. Drop it down to about 81-82% and it should fit just right.

jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    85% 5x5 would be hard to pull off..I won't say its impossible. Depends on rest between sets I suppose.

Originally posted by jehst
    85% 5x5 would be hard to pull off..I won't say its impossible. Depends on rest between sets I suppose.
    If you cant get atleast 15 reps total out of the 5 sets, then the weight is too damn heavy. When I said 85% can be done, what I meant is you could hit or barley pass the 15 rep minimum, but a full 25reps...no way.
    Personally with 81% I find it rather difficult to complete all 5 sets of 5 reps. I actually hit failure on the very last rep of the last set, the last 1/4 towards lockout just wouldnt budge.

short_dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) short_dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) short_dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) short_dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) short_dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) short_dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) short_dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) short_dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) short_dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) short_dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) short_dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by HitManSE
    If you cant get atleast 15 reps total out of the 5 sets, then the weight is too damn heavy. When I said 85% can be done, what I meant is you could hit or barley pass the 15 rep minimum, but a full 25reps...no way.
    Personally with 81% I find it rather difficult to complete all 5 sets of 5 reps. I actually hit failure on the very last rep of the last set, the last 1/4 towards lockout just wouldnt budge.
    I'd have to disagree here. In December my max was 315-320 and I completed 5X275 which is like 86% of max without missing any reps. I didn't max out at 325 until the end of the month and then I could do 280 for 5, 5, 4 or 5, 4, 4.

But then that's just me. I actually like the 5X3 workout better than 5X5 for adding to 1RM training.

Originally posted by short_dude
    I'd have to disagree here. In December my max was 315-320 and I completed 5X275 which is like 86% of max without missing any reps. I didn't max out at 325 until the end of the month and then I could do 280 for 5, 5, 4 or 5, 4, 4.

But then that's just me. I actually like the 5X3 workout better than 5X5 for adding to 1RM training.
    Huh sorry dude, but you kinda lost me here.

Sounds like your talking about 3sets of 5reps @86% which would work just fine, but im refering to the 5set of 5.

Adjusting it to your level of a 325-1rm.
    Thats like you having to do 5sets of 5 reps at 280lbs (which is about what you 5rep max is) I think you'd find it rather difficult to complete 5 sets of 5reps using 280lbs. Im not doubting that you can do it for 5-4-4 but for 5-5-5-5-5...no, if you can your puttin up more then 325

twista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) twista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) twista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) twista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) twista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) twista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) twista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) twista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) twista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) twista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) twista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try out 82.5% of your 1RM. it's tough, but i have never gotten less than the 5X5 with it.
    powerlifter/strongman

"I ask you lord why you enlightened me,
    Without the enlightment of all my foes,
    He said cuz I set myself on a quest for truth,
    And he was there to quench my thirst,
    But I am still thirsty..."

SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm not sure exactly what my 1RM is for most exercises but if working 5x5 I do go pretty close to it, probably around the 85% mark, for all 5 good reps. I seem to be able to work comfortably closer to my 1RM for sets than most people are.

I would therefore say it's possible and depends on your personal development and training. It's difficult but possible.
    At 16/08/04

5'9" 187lbs
    Chest 46"
    Waist 32" (a little bit under now!)
    Arms 17+half"
    DL = 420lbs, BP = 280lbs, Squat = 345lbs

Good point, every1 is diff & I wouldnt be surprised is some people have better neural setups going, all depends on how long you've been training. It would still ba pretty damn hard to pull of your 5 rep max 5 times, even with 3min rest periods. Personally, I cant. 81-82% however in fine with

SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SloopJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I kindof think of it in a reverse psychology type of way - I can work well up to a certain level and bang out reps but then can't add on much weight past that level. I think it's a case that my 1RM's could be improved and are slightly dissapointing compared to my working weight rather than that I can superhumanly work at my 1RM level. Whatever the reasoning the net result is that I can work closer to my 1rm than most people can.
    At 16/08/04

5'9" 187lbs
    Chest 46"
    Waist 32" (a little bit under now!)
    Arms 17+half"
    DL = 420lbs, BP = 280lbs, Squat = 345lbs

NobleLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use a 5 x 5 method that was provided to me by my football coach. Pick a weight you can struggle to do 5 reps with. Do 4 x 5 at that weight. On your 5th set, you max out. If you can do 5 or more reps, you go up 10%, if you can't or your reps go something like this:5,5,4,3,3 then you stay at that weight. This system has seriously increased my lifts.
    New 1rm's after 4 week layoff...

Bench: 235 -------goal------> 315
    Squat: coming soon------goal----->355
    Deadlift: coming soon----goal---->405

6'5, 240lbs.........training 2 1/2 years

BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I start with a weight i can get 5x5 with reasonably comfortably

Then i up the weight by about 5lbs every week.

When i get to the point where i can't get 5 sets of 5 i drop down to 3 sets of 5, and carry on upping the weights.

When i can't get 3 sets of 5 i drop to 5 sets of 3, and carry on....

When i can't get 5 sets of 3 i do a max week and then start again, doing 5x5 with the last weight i managed to do 5x5 with in the previous cycle.