Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2004 Western Naturals:3rd kenshamrock's Avatar
    kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100)

Can someone give me some pointers on PRE and POST workout meal

Hey.

What are some good guidlines to go by for my PRE and POST work out meal, Like post workout meal, the meal i have right before my big meal, like steak or chicken. So what are some good pre and post work out meals. THANX.

And just 1 more question its kinda of topic but i just need some advice.
    This is a new Chest routine i brewed up, can u tell me if its any good.

Flat bench BB press---4 sets
    Incline DB PRess----4 sets
    INcline DB flys----3 sets

thats it.

Thanx

andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i love using cables on chest day, but i guess it looks like a good routine. I love incline barbell as well, and usually do a flat dumbell, either way looks fine.

For the diet pre workout food im not sure about i was always told its good to workout on somewhat of an empty stomache and ive found if i ate before i workout my workout sucked. Post workout food, chicken breasts are right up there or some fish, include some carbs as well brown rice being a great source. My post workout meal is usually 2-3 big pieces of chicken breast with veggies, like brocoli, brussel sprouts, carrots, green beans, with some brown rice.

hope that helped a little
    peace

healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For post workout mix protein powder with dextrose and drink up. If you need any more help just ask! Oh yeah the dextrose is for the insulin spike giving you the anabolic edge.

andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i think he was asking about the meal not the post workout shake, but if so hes right on i usually take 50g whey, 50g dextrose then 1hr later or so i have my meal.

peace

healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Oh ok. Just makin' sure he knew.

kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100) kenshamrock is not very well liked. (-100)

OK thanx

Wow all these replys in like 5 minutes....HAHA perfect.

What i was aiming at was the post and preworkout shake, not the meal. Like right before the gym and right after the gym.
    And what is dextrose, and does that give you the anabolic edge, do u have dextrose before the gym or after.
    Is dextrose like grape fruit juice, or is it a supplement you buy.
    What i take right now is right before the gym besides my WHEY protein shake is, Creatine, with 5 grams of glutamine with 3 grams of ribose, allready mixed, so u just add water. i take that before and after the gym.

Any help would be good, Thanx

PS, does anyone know any good tricks for getting some mass on your chest.

OK dextrose is a simple sugar that is very high on the GI scale(meaning the sugar(in this case dextrose) rushes into your blood and insulin is secreted immediately to lower these levels) Dextrose isn't a supplement. You can actually get it cheap at 10 dollars for 10 pounds. You can get it at some stores(not sure where, I don't buy it my parents do for me) and ONLINE stores. For pre workout you can have a much smaller version of your post workout shake. Anything else? Dextrose is much higher on the GI scale than Grape juice I think.
    Last edited by healthy n'fit; 04-08-2002 at 02:32 PM.

Ok

What is dextrose, like is it a drink, u said u can buy, what form do u buy it as. Might sound dumb i just dont know much about it.
    So for a post work out shake, should i have dextrose and about 50grams of WHEY.??????

Thanx, and what about the chest question???

dextrose is corn sugar...

for post workout anywhere between 25-50g whey and 40-50 g dextrose is a good combo id say. For mass on your chest theres no really good answer for that, unless you dont know about excersises like flat barbell benching, flat dumbell, incline dumbell, incline bench, dumbell flies, cable flies, decline dumbell/barbell. Use an adequate rep range between 5-8 id say. Oh yea and EAT! if you wanna get big ya gotta eat big bro.

peace

Registered User Travis Stenersn's Avatar
    Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Glutamine and creatine and some BCAAs would be a welcome addition to your post workout shake.

In fact, the same thing pre workout can be very advantageous.

Dextrose is pretty much just like table sugar!

OK thanx

Hey when you get the dextrose, how do u mix it, and what do you mix it with. Like is it just pour it into a glass and add water, or what??????

Thanx

Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I personally buy my stuff already all mixed up, but this isn't necessary.
    Throw it in the blender with your whey.

ok

Thanx man, ill give her a try,
    can i take it before and after the gym, is that good.???????

THanx

i get mine in 400g bags, i was told and IM STILL ! not 100% sure about this but 10 teaspoons is approx 50grams, or like 4 tablespoons. I just put it into my shaker with my whey. Bring it to school then workout and drink it or ill drink it when i get home. As long as i know im getting home within the hour.

peace

Re: ok

Originally posted by kenshamrock
    Thanx man, ill give her a try,
    can i take it before and after the gym, is that good.???????

THanx
    Studies have shown that the same shake taken PREworkout is preferential than taking it post workout. Quite a bit more advantageous. I would suggest splitting it into two portions. One right before the workout or before/during, and the other half right after.

ive never tried taking half my shake before, my workout and the other half later. Have you done this before travis? I was always told once whey is mixed you shouldnt leave it for a long time you should drink the sucker.

peace

Originally posted by andy1
    ive never tried taking half my shake before, my workout and the other half later. Have you done this before travis? I was always told once whey is mixed you shouldnt leave it for a long time you should drink the sucker.

peace
    I've heard the whey degrades(I'm not thinking creatine I'm thinking whey) but not too sure about this. Hey if the people are making results then it must be okay.

yea ive read it here and ive read it in muscular development, drinking a protein/carb drink before working out increases protein synthesis or something like that i dont remember.

I heard it also lowers the amount of catabolism that lifting produces.

Let me address some of the things you guys said.

Yes, it does both - prevent further protein breakdown and increase protein synthesis. Both pre and post workout shakes do this, the question is, which is superior? (The study I spoke of showed that PRE was MUCH superior.)

About mixing whey and drinking it immeadiately.
    This is not necessary. Whey does NOT degrade. Mixing it up merely puts it into a solution/complex mixture and over time the whey will just come out of solution, all you have to do is mix it a little again. I've personally mixed a whey/casein/peanut butter shake and drank it 2 days later(I forgot it at work!).

And andy, I have personally tried the pre/post workout combo. It's really not that big of a difference. I feel like it gives me a little more energy during the workout. I much prefer the taste of the drink than that of the water in my gym too. Perhaps it has some long term effect(that pre would be better) but I doubt it's anything noticable. If science shows it to be preferential, though, and you have no reason not to, than why not try it!?

i drinnk a 50/50 mix of whey and dextrose. So 25g whey, 25g dextrose pre, then the other 25g whey 25g dextrose post workout?

I think ill give it a try tommorow.

That's the idea.. I'd up the dextrose though! 0.8g/kg bw.

Jean Schernoff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Travis,
    I'm not an expert in POST and PRE workout shakes, so I wanted to ask you one question.

You say that there is a study showing that PRE workout shake is much more anabolic than POST workout shake. But isn't your insulin sensitive after a workout, than before? And I would be glad to read that study too if you can tell me where, thanks Travis,

Jean

im on a cutting diet though travis, woudlnt more sugar be worse? it does say split the shake up instead of adding more then 50g of dextrose?

More sugar isn't necessarily worse around your workout because insulin sensitivity is so high.

That's true Jean, let me find the study.

Here you go Jean, it appeared in the American Journal of Physiology: Endocrinology and Metabolism.

John Berardi(the guy who formulated Biotest Surge) discusses it in Testosterone issue 175.

Here is the abstract.

Vol. 281, Issue 2, E197-E206, August 2001

Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise
    Kevin D. Tipton1,2, Blake B. Rasmussen1,2, Sharon L. Miller1,2, Steven E. Wolf1, Sharla K. Owens-Stovall1, Bart E. Petrini1, and Robert R. Wolfe1,2
    1 Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, and 2 Metabolism Unit, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Galveston, Texas 77550

The present study was designed to determine whether consumption of an oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement (EAC) before exercise results in a greater anabolic response than supplementation after resistance exercise. Six healthy human subjects participated in two trials in random order, PRE (EAC consumed immediately before exercise), and POST (EAC consumed immediately after exercise). A primed, continuous infusion of L-[ring-2H5]phenylalanine, femoral arteriovenous catheterization, and muscle biopsies from the vastus lateralis were used to determine phenylalanine concentrations, enrichments, and net uptake across the leg. Blood and muscle phenylalanine concentrations were increased by ~130% after drink consumption in both trials. Amino acid delivery to the leg was increased during exercise and remained elevated for the 2 h after exercise in both trials. Delivery of amino acids (amino acid concentration times blood flow) was significantly greater in PRE than in POST during the exercise bout and in the 1st h after exercise (P < 0.05). Total net phenylalanine uptake across the leg was greater (P = 0.0002) during PRE (209 ± 42 mg) than during POST (81 ± 19). Phenylalanine disappearance rate, an indicator of muscle protein synthesis from blood amino acids, increased after EAC consumption in both trials. These results indicate that the response of net muscle protein synthesis to consumption of an EAC solution immediately before resistance exercise is greater than that when the solution is consumed after exercise, primarily because of an increase in muscle protein synthesis as a result of increased delivery of amino acids to the leg.

muscle protein synthesis; muscle protein breakdown; stable isotopes; supplementation

Still, even for people that are insulin resistant. They'll have to release huge amount of insulin just to create the spike, especially before a workout.

And thats allright, thank Travis.

My assumption would be that perhaps absorption of all the nutrients contained in the shake is not immeadiate, and that upon commencation of exercise, insulin sensitivty begins to increase, protein breakdown begins to increase, and protein synthesis begins decreasing. The aminos are absorbed and sugars hit the blood stream while this is happening, and is able to combat it more efficiently.

Interesting! I'm dumber than I thought I was.
    And yeah, thanks Travis.

US-Marine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) US-Marine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) US-Marine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) US-Marine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) US-Marine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) US-Marine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) US-Marine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) US-Marine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) US-Marine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) US-Marine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) US-Marine has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    you take a pre-workout shake??????? i have a pre workout meal.

hmmmmmmmmmmm...................

should i take my dextrose before or after my POST workout shake

acaaully my weight gainer contains dextrose. (i think) i'll check.