Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    davidday0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidday0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

1 lb. of Lean Beef per Day

I know that lean ground beef isn't the best source for animal protein, but it is by far cheaper than buying lean steaks or lean chicken breast.

So in everyone's opinion, do you think eating 1lb. of lean ground beef a day is a good addition to my current diet. I usually mix in something with it like brown rice or low carb tortilla's with a little salsa, etc......

I am just looking for the "animal-protein" benefit being added to my diet without having to spend a lot of money doing it.

Angelus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I eat probably 2 to 4 pounds of lean ground beef a week in my bulking diet. Some days I will have a pound other days I will have a half pound.
    On the come back from a furbar'd shoulder and laziness

xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if that is all you can afford, then do what you have too. i personally don't believe red meat is as detramental as people say. but as far as that goes, don't ever forget about turkey and fish for your protein needs. keep an eye on your local grocers for weekend meat sales of sorts and find a butcher/meat shop in your area, these places usually have excellent deals when you purchase in volume. last but not least get a costco card if possible, 16 turkey burgers with 24G protein 3G of fat for 8.99$ and they taste wonderful.
    Unaffiliated.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Beef is great as a protein source.

However, here is my issue with you idea.

1. How do you KNOW it is lean? (Not that it matters.)

2. How do you KNOW that it is quality Beef?

3. How do you know it isn't lips and *******s?
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Angelus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    know your butcher
    On the come back from a furbar'd shoulder and laziness

Ethereal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ethereal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ethereal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ethereal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ethereal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ethereal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ethereal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ethereal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ethereal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ethereal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ethereal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Atavis
    Beef is great as a protein source.

However, here is my issue with you idea.

1. How do you KNOW it is lean? (Not that it matters.)

2. How do you KNOW that it is quality Beef?

3. How do you know it isn't lips and *******s?
    1. Because it says lean.

2. Because it says quality.

3. Because my ground beef has yet to kiss me or fart in my face.

taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000)
    red meat is good(for bulking more than cutting), but i wouldnt go eating it everyday, i'd say at a max have it about 4 times a week, other times have some white meat

also cook it in one of those george foreman grills or clones if you can, just to get as much of that fat out as possible

davidday0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidday0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I said 1lb. of it a day, I should have specified 1lb. raw, then however much that is cooked I eat that per day. Basically I would be doing it Monday - Friday while I am at work. I go ahead and prepare it and portion it out at home and then use it as part of at least 2 of my meals during my workday. Usually my 2nd and 4th meal of the day. On the weekends I generally have some sort of chicken or turkey........I know turkey isn't the best, but it breaks the monotoney sometimes.

thanks fo the feedback.

btw.....when i cook it I drain the grease, then put the meat in a strainer and run water over it to get as much fat out as i can.

NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NAP_s_king has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Dude, that's fine, but DON'T BUY LEAN GROUND BEEF! There's too much **** in there, buy a meat grinder and do it yourself! The way the US checks for Mad Cow is horrible, they test like 1 out of 10,000 cows. Buy steaks, your health is more important than saving a few dollars.

Peace
    Naps

I occasionally buy steaks, but they aren't the lean/lower fat kind. The ones I buy usually contain about 21grams of protein and about 13 grams of fat per 4 oz.. They don't cost to much and I can get them instead if everyone thinks that would be a better choice......?????

buttaflap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buttaflap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buttaflap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buttaflap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buttaflap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buttaflap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    red meat is important while cutting and bulking to prevent red meatitis. However, its important to have it occasionally. Since your only having it occasionally, buy quality lean meats less often. If you can't afford beef, buy tuna. Its a simple as that. You can only live within your means.
    Moderation is folly. All or nothing.

Well my first two years of lifting I somehow had the idea that grilled/baked chicken was better for you and that all red meat was bad for you, so I really didn't eat it that often at all. Then I started eating more red meat and less chicken and my gains improved more than they did eating only chicken. Not to mention chicken for two years got pretty old.

James_D is just really nice. (+1000) James_D is just really nice. (+1000) James_D is just really nice. (+1000) James_D is just really nice. (+1000) James_D is just really nice. (+1000) James_D is just really nice. (+1000) James_D is just really nice. (+1000) James_D is just really nice. (+1000) James_D is just really nice. (+1000) James_D is just really nice. (+1000) James_D is just really nice. (+1000)
    Anyone looking for high quality, cheap, red meat should try pork fillet. I prefer beef myself, but if you're a bit strapped the pork is a good altenative.

jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    1. Because it says lean.

2. Because it says quality.

3. Because my ground beef has yet to kiss me or fart in my face.
    Number three is the best ****ing line ive heard all month! Priceless!
    djjpe.com

I'm learning that when you're not as strong as you look it's because you don't believe you're as strong as you are. we may never know what we are capable of unless we push ourselves, challenge ourselves and get over the fear of failing. our accomplishments happen because we believe in ourselves and make the goals worthwhile.

Confidence in yourself is endurance for life...

liftstrong

Jon Mulhern

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    know your butcher
    This. Knowing a good butcher locally has lots of perks.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Here is a good link on the topic of Reducing the Fat Content of Regular Ground Beef by Draining and Rinsing

See, http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/groundbeef.htm

Make sure to look at the links at the end of the article.

mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jonpaulevans View Post
    Strong 6 year bump
    Look under your chair. YOU GET A REP, AND YOU GET A REP, REPS FOR EVERYONE! If I get a rep, you get a rep, every time. Give me a link to make my life a little easier.

If you don't give me a link and you didn't post in the thread you rep'd me in, I'm not gonna go searching for you. I'll get everyone on recharge.

JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000) JayAllen20 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The bump in this one is strong....... REALLY strong..... Almost unbelievably strong

82ndSergeant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 82ndSergeant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 82ndSergeant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 82ndSergeant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 82ndSergeant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 82ndSergeant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 82ndSergeant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 82ndSergeant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 82ndSergeant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 82ndSergeant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 82ndSergeant is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JayAllen20 View Post
    The bump in this one is strong....... REALLY strong..... Almost unbelievably strong
    indeed
    OEF/OIF 82nd Airborne Division
    University of Oregon alum

-Strong-Ass Jaw Crew
    -Combat Veterans Crew
    -Anger Management Crew

jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonpaulevans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JayAllen20 View Post
    is it bad? I dont get this whole bump/rep thing? Am I losing rep power for responding to an old post?
    djjpe.com

I'm learning that when you're not as strong as you look it's because you don't believe you're as strong as you are. we may never know what we are capable of unless we push ourselves, challenge ourselves and get over the fear of failing. our accomplishments happen because we believe in ourselves and make the goals worthwhile.

liftstrong

Jon Mulhern

TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000)
    is it bad? I dont get this whole bump/rep thing? Am I losing rep power for responding to an old post?
    learn2internet

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you click the User CP at the top of the page you can see what posts of yours caused your rep to change. And no, usually bumping old posts (bringing back a post that no one has since responded to in a while) doesn't cause people to neg (negative rep) you. However if you are like some idiots and bump stuff within minutes or hours repeatedly, then yes, you could get negged for that. In the long run, getting reps (positive rep) for good quality posts or helping others balances things out. Don't worry much about it...
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

Guai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Guai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Guai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Guai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Guai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Guai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Guai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Guai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Guai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Guai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Guai will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was eating 10lbs of ground beef per week during the summer for $20 a shot. It helped to work at that butcher of course, and along the way I learned many things about meat and its marketing that have served me well.
    I love beer too much.

"Isn't fructose a High corn syrup?

or something.

Is not good for you :)" -ORganiX

Originally Posted by Guai View Post
    I was eating 10lbs of ground beef per week during the summer for $20 a shot. It helped to work at that butcher of course, and along the way I learned many things about meat and its marketing that have served me well.
    care to offer us any of your insight? For starters I may run out and apply at my local butcher for a few hours a week
    djjpe.com

liftstrong

Jon Mulhern

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For what it's worth I'm eating 24 oz of ground beef a day....it's 93/7 and I found it's the easiest way to get down good, solid calories and it's cheap -- I get mine for $2.49/lb which is a little more expensive than chicken breast but I don't have any issues stopping at 24 oz of beef where as with chicken I could eat 3-4lbs a day and be hungry.

I have been making very good gains.
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Red meat is so nutritious - anti-beef propaganda is wayyyy overblown. When I was cutting, I was eating a solid 3 pounds of 85/15 grass-fed beef per day. That and about 2 pounds of green vegetables. I went from 12% - 8% bf that way.

Now that I'm bulking, it's a whole 'nother story...

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I eat 2.2lbs of mince a day. It's heaps good, what are you's on about? Just buy premium 5 star and not the cheap fatty ones on the cooler shelf.

And lul @ mince only being for bulking and not for cutting. lllluuullll brah.. Premium is like 50g protein per 500g with like 2 or 3g fat. Good no matter what.

Steak, mince, chicken, fish, whatever. Meat in general is heaps good for us bodybuilders. Shut up and eat cuzz
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

Originally Posted by Simmo0508 View Post
    I eat 2.2lbs of mince a day. It's heaps good, what are you's on about? Just buy premium 5 star and not the cheap fatty ones on the cooler shelf.

And lul @ mince only being for bulking and not for cutting. lllluuullll brah.. Premium is like 50g protein per 500g with like 2 or 3g fat. Good no matter what.

Steak, mince, chicken, fish, whatever. Meat in general is heaps good for us bodybuilders. Shut up and eat cuzz

are you also using protein powder? i get around 60g of pro each day from my protein powder. hows that compare to you?
    djjpe.com

liftstrong

Jon Mulhern

FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I love ground beef.

That is all.

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    are you also using protein powder? i get around 60g of pro each day from my protein powder. hows that compare to you?
    What do you mean? But yeah, i do 2 shakes a day of ON. 96g from that.

Why you ask?
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted